• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 7,835 Views, 2,739 Comments

Trixie's Forest Retreat - crowscrowcrow



Following the events of Boast Busters, Trixie decides to hide from the town (and Rainbow Dash in particular) by taking cover in the Everfree Forest. Not every problem can be outrun, and sometimes facing them can have unexpected consequences.

  • ...
31
 2,739
 7,835

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 81 - Right

Trixie carried a bag of mice nibbles on her back. Making her way past the tiny food bowls, She did her very best not to spill too much. It didn’t really make sense to her, most mice would eat off the floor anyway, but she’d learned not to question it by now.

Although Trixie had done many of Fluttershy’s chores over the day, there was one that she had neglected. Though really, that was all Rainbow Dash’s fault, and totally not the result of her falling asleep on the job. If Trixie had not been disturbed, she surely would have gotten around to feeding the animals before dinner time.

As it stood however, bath time and an early dinner thanks to Fluttershy and Dash working together, had made Trixie forget about the animals evening meal. Which had been awkward to explain when Angel, who else, demanded food.

It was strangely quiet in the little cottage on the meadow. Or at least, that’s what it felt like, but Trixie could not put her hoof on what was different.

Mentally, she ran through a list of all the usual noises that were supposed to be there: animals busily scurrying about, the gentle sound of the wind blowing through the leaves growing on the roof, Fluttershy’s occasional cooing at her furry freeloaders. Actually, now that Trixie thought about it, that last one was missing.

Trixie looked over to Fluttershy, who was in the process of filling the food bowls for the rabbits with the kibbles of the ferrets. Exactly how Trixie could tell the difference between the two kibbles she did not want to think about. Rather, the important thing was that Fluttershy was clearly distracted.

Even without the slightly strange atmosphere, Trixie knew something was not right with Fluttershy. For a moment, the sweet pegasus had been completely spaced out, she even missed saying goodbye to Dash. Though to be fair, so had Trixie herself, but Fluttershy apparently stayed that way.

At the time, Trixie merely needed to poke Fluttershy to snap her out of it, and she was quickly assured that Fluttershy was just fine. Trixie was not so sure, and feared that perhaps Fluttershy was still a little sick. It had been a bit odd how quickly Fluttershy had recovered, and now it seemed that perhaps she had merely been putting on a brave face.

As long as Trixie was focused on Fluttershy’s face, she had to admit that Fluttershy did not look tired or sickly. Instead, she was wearing what Trixie could only call ‘Fluttershy’s thinking face’. It was easy to tell, as one of the few times that Fluttershy did not smile constantly was when she was lost in thought, which Trixie could only assume meant she was not thinking of cute animals. That wasn’t to say that Fluttershy never smiled while she was in thought, but merely that it was not as ever present.

Trixie observed for a little while longer. She liked how Fluttershy was comfortable enough with Trixie now to show Trixie her other sides, even if this one was unintentional. It was a nice change to see from her constant state of nervous tension around most other ponies, though angry Fluttershy was one side Trixie hoped never to be on the wrong end of. Still, she supposed she couldn’t just let this continue.

“Fluttershy? Are you sure you are okay?” Trixie set down the bag of mice feed in the supply closet.

“Mhm?” Fluttershy blinked a few times as she was pulled back to the present. “Oh, did you say something, Trixie?”

“Is something on your mind? You’ve not been this quiet since Trixie first got here,” she asked, before biting into a bag with a picture of carrots and lettuce, then dragging it onto her back. Fortunately they were pretty lightweight.

“Oh, I’m sorry. It’s just I was thinking about, uhm, if it’s really a good idea to go out with Rainbow Dash, s-so soon I mean. Y-you’re still not well. I-I mean, it’s just, she’s kind of, uhm, reckless, and doesn’t think things through sometimes.” Fluttershy strategically turned to tend to the food bowls behind her, showing her back to Trixie as she spoke.

Trixie tilted her head while she listened, and grinned softly. “Heh, well that makes sense. You did mention before how much we have in common. It figures we’d share that too,” she said, laughingly. It was obvious Fluttershy did not think it was a laughing matter however. Trixie settled into a more serious, reassuring tone. “Trixie understands your concern, Fluttershy. Since Trixie will be at the hospital first, she will make sure to follow their advice on what they believe her limit should be, okay?”

“O-okay… I don’t mean to be a b-bother…” Fluttershy nodded, then returned her attention to the food.

Smiling, Trixie shook her head. “Fluttershy, even if you were a bother, Trixie would rather you speak your mind. Even if Trixie does not always like to hear it… it’s still good to hear from a more levelheaded pony.” It was not entirely true, only very specific ponies counted.

Fluttershy smiled back and nodded quietly. "Thank you, Trixie..." She turned her attention back to her work, then paused briefly, before she let out a gasp. “Oh my, this isn’t the right bag at all.”

Noticing that Fluttershy had finally caught on, Trixie giggled, pleased, and trotted closer with the correct bag already on her back. “Don’t worry Fluttershy, Trixie’s got your bag covered.”

To Fluttershy’s credit, she did not zone out again for the remainder of the evening. Working together, the small mistakes were quickly rectified, and all the animals were served their proper meals, with a side of apologies from Fluttershy. The return of the final missing sound had Trixie smiling, it just didn’t feel like home without it.

It was twilight by the time everything had been taken care off. Which left just enough time to prepare some tea before bed time. As was becoming a bit of a tradition, they relaxed on the couch, with a side table pulled up close to house anything that might stain the couch if knocked over.

During tea time, they shared in a little bit of small talk. To Trixie’s delight, Fluttershy just kept getting a bit better at it each time, though it was possible that was because all they had to talk about really were small things that happened around the meadow.

Fortunately, there was one other topic Fluttershy was happy to talk about too, if prompted.

“And that’s when Rainbow Dash just swooped in, and yelled at them so loudly even I got scared.” Fluttershy said with an embarrassed look. “She did that a lot, actually, but she didn’t just stick to yelling after a while… I-I mean, that’s only because it stopped working, n-not because she was violent.”

“Oh, yes Trixie understands. If she was all bark and no bite they’d just keep going. It’s good that Dash, uhm, ‘bit’ them.” She laughed. “In fact, Trixie had somepony try to bluff her before, if they’d actually followed up, Trixie may have respected them, but it just made it worse on them.” Trixie sipped from her cup, and tactfully set it back down on the table. It seemed she could prevent her hooves from shaking if she didn’t try to hold it the entire time. Mhm, in hindsight, Trixie supposes that’s what it means not to overdo it.

Using a neatly embroidered cloth, Fluttershy lifted the teapot to top off her cup. “Oh, that, uhm, that is a lot like what Rainbow Dash said. At the time. Though, err, not quite like that…” Fluttershy looked a little uneasy as she struggled for the right words. “….Did you mean, like, uhm, during your show?”

Trixie perked up her ears. “Show? Oh, uhm. M-maybe not exactly… but Trixie supposes you could say it is related.” Coughing nonchalantly, Trixie averted her gaze and looked out the window, the final rays of light were nearly gone. “Ah, look at the time. We better hurry. Trixie does not know about you, but she’s exhausted.”

Fluttershy slipped off the couch to carry the teapot to the kitchen, but when she heard Trixie speak she shot her a worried look.

Catching the look from the corner of her eyes, Trixie turned back to Fluttershy, giving a tired smile. “Not that exhausted. Trixie is just keeping her word. Anyway, why don’t you head upstairs? Trixie will take the couch.” Doing her best to help, Trixie followed after Fluttershy, carrying the empty cups.

Fluttershy objected, in her own passive way. “I’m, uhm, kind of used to the couch by now, Trixie. You can take the bed again. I only took it last time so you wouldn’t, erm, catch anything. Since you were both down here…”

Trixie looked at Fluttershy for a moment, then shook her head. “No, this really can’t go on like this. It’s your bed. You are the one who is sickly, while Trixie is fine now. She isn’t even bothered by morning light anymore.” She gave the cups a quick rinse before leaving them on the counter to dry overnight. There was no reason to risk handling a towel, if she could simply let time do the work.

“Oh, I don’t know… I would really just feel much better if you were in bed Trixie. If that’s okay with you? Besides, if you were at the hospital you would have a bed. Nurse Redheart expects me to give you the best care I can.” While she spoke, Fluttershy trotted across the room to climb back onto the couch, then motioned to the stairs. “Pretty please?”

Trixie recoiled a little, as Fluttershy gave her the cutest look she’d ever seen. It was very persuasive. N-no, Trixie must resist! Staring back at Fluttershy, Trixie did her best to keep her wits. “T-Trixie refuses. Trixie has already been on a hospital bed, and the couch is much more comfy!”

“Uhm, well, then that just means that the couch is fine, right? S-so you don’t have a problem with me taking it?” Fluttershy smiled while she made another motion towards the stairs. “Go on, Trixie. I’ll see you in the morning. If you wait too long, it, uhm, it will be dark.”

Trixie huffed. “Trixie insists, in fact.” Trixie climbed onto the couch and demonstratively plopped down on the cushions. “Trixie is not moving. This couch is now officially commandeered by The Great and Powerful Trixie! Fluttershy can go to her own bed.”

Blinking in disbelief, Fluttershy sat up straight. “Uhm, Trixie? Go, please? Don’t be like that…”

In response, Trixie simply got more comfortable on the couch. “No.”

“Trixie,” Fluttershy’s voice started to gain some authority to it. “Please stop, uhm, acting like a foal.”

Trixie made absolutely no efforts to get up, and simply closed her eyes. “Trixie will act like a foal if it pleases Trixie. Now go on, it will be dark soon, isn’t that what you said, Fluttershy?”

“Trixie…”

“No.”

“Are you s—”

“No.”

“W-well, I’m not going, s-so… you should. Or nopony has the bed.”

“Then Trixie supposes we’ll both be on the couch, it’s big enough anyway.” Trixie lazily opened one eye a little, making it look like she was about to fall asleep any minute, despite how adamant her refusals had been so far. Fluttershy, on the other hoof, was starting to look worked up. “Unless, you go upstairs.”

“But, I, uhm, you, but…” Finally, Fluttershy just let out a long exasperated sigh. “…So you’re absolutely refusing to take the bed, instead of me? There’s nothing I can say to change your mind?”

“No.” Trixie smirked a little, this was exactly the sort of thing they’d talked about just a little bit before. One had to be willing to go through with a bluff if they were called on it, not fold under pressure.

Fluttershy got up from the couch and climbed down with another sigh. “Okay you win, Trixie. Come on then.”

“Uh, sorry, Fluttershy. What are you talking about?” Trixie lifted her head from the couch to get a better look at Fluttershy.

“Well, if you refuse to take it instead of me, and we’re both going to take the couch, we might as well just both take the bed. At least that way I know you’ll have a good night’s rest, and you’ll know that I will too.” She took a few steps towards the stairs then turned to look over her shoulder at Trixie. “Besides, we already know it will fit two ponies just fine.”

This had to be a trick, but it made so much sense. Trixie had definitely not expected Fluttershy to pull a compromise like that, though, in hindsight, making compromises was what she often did. Ultimately, it did accomplish her goal of getting Fluttershy to sleep in her own bed. After staring at Fluttershy warily for a few moments, Trixie got up and trotted after her. “Very well, Trixie accepts.”

“Thank you, Trixie.” Fluttershy smiled at her, then lead the way up to the bedroom. After entering, Fluttershy trotted over to the left side of the bed, and took a slow minute to crawl in and make herself comfortable. She was silent for a few seconds before she quickly asked, “Oh, I’m sorry, which side do you prefer?”

Trixie chuckled and shook her head. “Isn’t it obvious? Trixie is always right.”

Fluttershy blinked blankly for a moment, then giggled shaking her head as she caught on. “Oh, good. I like being… uhm… left over… erm, I’ve got nothing…” Fluttershy blushed.

“That’s alright, Fluttershy. Trixie can’t think of anything good either.” Trixie smiled, getting comfy on the right side of the mattress, then pulled the blanket up over them. Despite Trixie’s claims to the contrary, she felt the bed really was a thousand times more comfortable than the couch.

Meanwhile, Fluttershy had gone suspiciously quiet again, and a quick inspection proved she had her ‘thinking face’ on again.

What is she thinking about? Trixie could not be sure, but the moment of silence gave her time to really think about what she was doing. In her pursuit of ensuring Fluttershy would sleep well, it had almost escaped her attention. Trixie was in bed with Fluttershy.

Trixie felt her face ignite at the sudden realization, and quickly went over their conversation. It really had been Fluttershy that suggested it, not some misconstrued demand of her own. Granted, many ponies shared a bed for all kinds of reasons, and there only being one bed seemed like the most legit one.

On the one hoof, Trixie felt she should perhaps double check, but on the other she really liked their arrangement right now, and did not want to jeopardize it by making Fluttershy feel self-conscious. The way she’d proposed it really had been just a logical conclusion, two friends sharing the only bed in the house.

Trixie let out a long breath to try and relax herself. She was worrying over nothing. “Good night, Fluttershy.” It was nice like this, the bed felt warmer than previous nights, which made it even better. Trixie could get used to this.

“Huh? O-oh, good night, Trixie.” Fluttershy mumbled, then quieted down again. All of a sudden, she shot up straight. “Wait a minute!”

Startled, Trixie scooted away, and nearly sent herself over the edge. A frantic clamber got her back into the safe zone. “W-what is it?”

Fluttershy cleared her throat, then looked straight at Trixie. “I guess I’ll take what’s left then.” She beamed proudly.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed.

PreviousChapters Next