• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 7,836 Views, 2,739 Comments

Trixie's Forest Retreat - crowscrowcrow



Following the events of Boast Busters, Trixie decides to hide from the town (and Rainbow Dash in particular) by taking cover in the Everfree Forest. Not every problem can be outrun, and sometimes facing them can have unexpected consequences.

  • ...
31
 2,739
 7,836

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 87 - Result


Trotting circles in the foyer of the hospital, Trixie shot a glance at the double door entrance every two seconds. Dash had yet to arrive, but she had a little bit of time left before the scheduled ending of the examination. Moments like this made Trixie wish she was not quite so brilliant, since clearly if she had finished her tests at the pace of a regular pony, she would not have had to wait in suspense like this.

Trixie is the best! Everything will go great! As far as Trixie knew, this was the best technique to build confidence, and she desperately needed it. All she had to do was just to keep repeating it until she believed it.

The date was going to start any minute, and Trixie had never felt so nervous, even her first show was not as important in comparison. Her whole relationship was riding on it. W-what if it goes horribly? Would she break it off right then? Or worse, what if it goes great? That would make her expect even more from the next date!

Trixie makes every moment unforgettable by default! Anypony would be lucky to have her! She chanted to herself.

She gave a tug at the straps of her saddlebag, refitting it for the twelfth time already. All her beauty products, and one muffin lunch bag, were held securely inside. They'd done their job wonderfully, any damage Fluttershy inadvertently caused was completely taken care of, and Trixie looked absolutely picture perfect.

Trixie is the most beautiful Unicorn, no, pony in Equestria!

In passing, she stole a quick glance at a mirror, her sixty-seventh, just to reassure herself she was still stunning.

Maybe Trixie should have gotten a dress? Don't be silly, with whose bits? Besides, where would Trixie even find one? But... wearing saddlebags to a date is not very romantic. Is it better to leave them here? If Trixie hurries she mi—

Rainbow Dash's voice sounded from right behind her. "Hey, Trixie, how di—Whoa!" As Trixie turned around, Rainbow Dash completely lost track of what she was going to say.

Trixie felt her heart leap, for once a plan actually worked out perfectly. Fighting her hardest to keep a casual look on her face, and her heart inside her chest, Trixie gave Dash a seductive smile. “Oh, hello, Dash. You’re early,” she said while sauntering over to her with a gentle sway of her tail with each step.

Blushing furiously, and still at a loss for words, Rainbow Dash looked disheveled in more ways than one. It was not as though Trixie had expected Dash to show up in a dress, or even with her hair done, but she looked the exact same as if she’d just flown through a tornado.

Letting her eyes briefly trace up and down over Dash, Trixie shot her an annoyed look. “How good of you to prioritize being on time.” Is she not taking this seriously?

“Oh, uh, thanks.” Rainbow Dash chuckled sheepishly, oblivious to the underlying meaning. “I wanted to be here when you were done, but I guess you were faster than planned, huh? Does that mean it went well?”

“Trixie is perfect, as expected.” She gave her mane a flick with her hoof. “As you will come to find out. Shall we go then?” The lack of effort Dash put into her appearance for their date bothered her, but maybe she had been expecting too much from the tomcoltish mare?

The request restored some of Dash’s usual energy. “Sure thing! Right this way!”

Once they’d left the hospital, Trixie did not speak much for a time, mostly because there were too many ponies around for her to feel comfortable saying anything of importance, and she didn’t feel like making small talk.

Meanwhile, Rainbow Dash was more than happy to make up for the lull in conversation, with what Trixie would describe as nervous babble. “It feels so weird to have the first day off instead of the third, normally I’m tired and just wanna go sleep on a cloud or something, or hang out with Fluttershy, which is basically the same thing. I mean it’s like, relaxing and stuff.”

Trixie just allowed Dash to ramble while she tried to figure out where they were headed. Surprisingly, they had not followed the road back into town, but went around the hospital and towards the forest that flanked half of Ponyville. we’re headed northeast? That’s toward that dragon mountain, isn’t it?

“I wonder if Nurse Redheart still even works at the hospital? I’ve not seen her, and she didn’t even write that letter. Maybe she got fired? Serves her right! Huh… actually, I hope not… even if she’s kind of a downer.” A hint of regret was clearly present in her voice.

The leaves of the trees obscured the sun, creating welcome, cool shadows for them to walk in. Trixie took the opportunity to walk a little closer to Dash, feeling confident they were away from prying eyes by now. “Trixie saw her, she did part of the exam,” she said reassuringly. “Trixie believes she wanted to avoid conflict, that’s why you did not see her.”

Dash looked relieved for just a moment, before she caught herself and grinned. “Oh, too bad. So she’s chicken, huh? Figures.”

Trixie smirked. “Yes, can you believe she wanted to keep the west wing of the hospital intact? What a coward. Anyway, she was actually pretty nice, for the most part, and told Trixie her test results. Nothing really new, but there is one little change…” she left the words hanging there while she moved a bit closer still, preparing a spell.

“Oh, yeah? What was that ab—Whoa, wha—umphf!”

An orchid glow around her muzzle made Dash freeze in her tracks, and despite a panicked struggle her head was turned to the side. Trixie wasted no time taking advanced of the perfectly aligned Dash, planting an eager kiss on her lips, quieting her down. Sadly, she could not hold the spell with that much force for long, before a soft pounding in her head told her she was approaching her limit.

Once the magic released, Dash didn’t bother to pull away just yet, but held the kiss for a little longer, making it clear she was perfectly okay with this. “Mhm, abusing your magic already? That’s so like you.”

Grinning, Trixie licked her lips nonchalantly. “The Great and Powerful Trixie just took what she wanted, and she did not hear you complain.”

“Never said I was, heh...” Dash’s grin looked forced as she went on, kicking against the dirt of the forest floor nervously. “I’m really glad that’s how you choose to use it, actually… I-I was worried you were mad at me.”

“Mad at you?” Trixie had not really given it much thought, but Dash could not possibly still think she would hold a grudge over that buck to the head, could she? “Did you think Trixie would take wreak vengeance upon you the moment she recovered her magic?”

Blinking stupidly, Dash looked completely confused. “Wha? Uh, no, It’s just, well, you didn’t talk much, and, I mean… well, look at you!” She made a gesture with her hoof toward Trixie. “You look wonderful! I just bolted through a cloud and called it a day! I saw you at the spa, and all I thought about was that you were wasting time, instead of figuring out why you were in there.” Averting her gaze, Dash folded her ears flat. “After I saw you all prettied up, for me, I just… I really liked that you did all that… I didn’t even think to put in some effort. I feel like an idiot…”

Trixie bit her lip. It was true she’d been annoyed with Dash, and had been short with her as a result, but she thought she hid it well enough. Though when she thought about it, Dash had an infuriating habit of seeing things she actively tried to hide. Trixie was not quite sure how that worked, as at the same time Dash was so terrible at seeing things she purposely left thinly veiled. “…Dash, it’s true. Trixie was mad at you.”

“I knew it.” Dash looked down at the ground. “I’m sorry, Trixie.”

“But…” Trixie brought a hoof to Dash’s chin, lifting her up to she could see into her eyes. “Trixie was wrong to think you put in no effort. Only yesterday did she ask about going on a date, and you worked so hard to make it happen the very next day.” She gave a soft smile, and mirrored Dash’s words. “Trixie really liked that you did all that.” To accentuate her point, she leaned in to steal a quick, brief kiss.

Surprise was clearly visible on Dash’s face, before it slowly turned to a grin. Her bravado made a stunning comeback. “Well, I am the fastest pegasus ever, but how can you even say that? You have no idea if I have anything planned.”

Raising an eyebrow, Trixie gave Dash a mock skeptical look. “Oh, please, even you wouldn’t be dumb enough to take out the greatest unicorn in Equestria, and not have plans.”

“Don’t forget modest!” Rainbow Dash laughed.

Giggling, Trixie nodded. “And modest! The Great and Humble Trixie, a shining example to ponies everywhere. Princess of Humility!” She struck her most regal looking pose, with one hoof held to her chest while she looked up at the sky with her eyes closed.

A sudden warm feeling on her back broke Trixie out of her pretense, discovering that Dash had wrapped a wing around her, Trixie felt her face flush.

Rainbow Dash grinned playfully. “How about you come and find out what I have planned for you then, your highness?”

“Just one moment.” Trixie lit up her horn, lifting the saddlebags from her back. Sliding them out from behind the wing, she held the bags suspended in the air behind her. Upon seeing Dash’s puzzled look, she smirked slightly, and explained. “They were in the way.” She pressed against Dash, enjoying the, now unobstructed, warmth that came with it. “Let’s go.”

Once Dash caught on, she pressed back against Trixie. Letting her wing rest on Trixie’s back, she slowly accelerated up to a trot, allowing Trixie to get used to the pace. “Right, this way.”

It took a little bit of getting used to for Trixie, she was not used to walking to match somepony else’s pace. But after a little trial and error they meandered through the forest, endearingly close together.

The forest was beautiful, and nothing at all like the Everfree had been, instead it looked peaceful and inviting, as though it really wanted ponies to come visit it. The animals were not as tame as they were around Fluttershy’s meadow, but Trixie spotted a few as they walked, some of which she believed she recognized. Is that Miss Chippymunk?

After a little while, with no end in sight, Trixie was starting to get overwhelmed with curiosity. “So, what’s first?”

“Uhm, this is first.” Rainbow Dash answered, unusually cryptic.

Trixie looked around briefly, trying to spy something through the trees. There was no telling what might be built out here, but she saw nothing. “This what? We’ve been walking a while, and all Trixie sees are trees.”

Trying to avoid eye contact, Dash cleared her throat awkwardly, her face growing redder by the second. “I-It’s a forest walk, okay?”

“A forest walk!?” Trixie could hardly believe it. She might have expected something crazy like: skydiving, mountain climbing, manticore wrestling, and while she was grateful to be wrong, she had to wonder where this changeling had stashed the real Dash.

Meanwhile, Dash’s face just kept getting closer to the red streak that ran through her mane. “L-Look, I get it, it’s stupid. I’ll just fly us there, I dunno why—”

Trixie nestled her muzzle against Dash’s neck while she rambled, feeling that wild mane tickling her nose. “It’s a wonderful idea.”

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed.

Trixie and Dash finally started their date.
I'm excited that we finally got here. ^^

Writing wise, this will actually be an interesting exercise in applying some of the lessons I learned during the sleepover.
Mainly: "Limit the number of events, or it will take forever!"
Let's see if I can keep this below 10 chapters this time ey?:trollestia:

PreviousChapters Next