• Published 30th May 2014
  • 1,627 Views, 23 Comments

The Rule of Princess Apple Bloom - memphisgurl



During the first few weeks as a princess Apple bloom learns to adjust to being immortal and all of her new responsibilities.

  • ...
3
 23
 1,627

Memory of a Wish

It was a chilly dawn. The ominous-looking sky wasn't tired yet of unleashing droplets of rain, it held no sign of yielding. Citizens from the big, old city were kept safe in their houses, enveloped even by comfy blankets. All of them were completely oblivious of the lone figure of a poor 11-year-old filly, who’s seemingly the only one left to feel the heavy droplets as she crumpled down to the cold, filthy ground in the middle of nowhere. It was her birthday, she remembered. But excluding herself, no one else did.

A tear streaked down from her remarkable orange orbs.

Her whole body was in pain; she rolled over and clutched a hoof to her stomach, shuddering. She then let out a small whimper at her mistake and coughed out some of her red life, moving never really helped. Moreover, she was also starving. She was starving on her very own birthday, how pathetic. She could have laughed at herself sarcastically if she had enough energy to do so. Hence she did it inwardly. It didn’t matter, she was always starving anyway. Although she also knew, from deep down her very core, that this was the last time she would ever crave for food again.

Because she was dying.

~ xXx ~

Her gaze rose heavenwards with another pang from her aching stomach, the same ache she’s been enduring all those months after her sister died. Except that it’s much more excruciating nowadays. So much excruciating that she believed only death could take it away.

This forsaken child often longed for death, or at least in some points of her life, she had dreamt on what life after her demise would be. Her sister taught her before she died that her spirit would drift into a beautiful place called heaven, where she would bask in bliss forever. No more hunger, no more suffering. No more pain.

And now, now that she’s finally dying too, she suddenly feared the thought. Only good ponies go there. There’s an alternative place for wicked ponies, she reminisced on what her sister had said. Hell, isn’t it? And after she attempted on stealing bread from an old hag, she doubted if she could ever step into the gates of the heaven. Her big sister would eventually kick her out, and out of disappointment send her down to Hell where she belonged, where her soul would perish and rot for eternity. She had never done such a bad deed before in her life; she was just in great despair. In fact, she was once a good filly, her sister would always tell her. That time, she wasn’t thinking straight. She only realized it by the moment the old hag yelled at her, ordering her to give the food back. But she ran nevertheless, blind by temptation and naiveté. Unfortunately on her way, she had unconsciously dropped the bread, another yet folly move. Now she isn’t just hideous physically.

After all, what kind of angel would like to make friends with a monster like her? Her sister said that angels don’t mind physical appearance, but sometimes it was hard to believe. Especially when you were cast aside by the people around you, even by those whom you call relatives.

Another tear escaped her eyes.

Her father. Her sister told her that her father was a kind stallion. Misunderstood by the law, they sent him to jail long before she was even born. But truth is, he was one of those ponies who did not care about her. Because if he cared, she would not be alone right now, she wouldn’t have to kneel down and beg for food all the time. She wouldn’t have to steal. She wouldn’t be starving. She wouldn’t feel this empty.

And most of all, she won’t be dying at this moment, in such a hapless, vulnerable age.

The drips of tears she’s been trying to obscure finally broke loose, as if the venting of emotion itself, symbolized her own surrender.

She wept in self-pity. All she ever wanted was a companion, a friend; somepony who would love her, make her feel alive again and somepony who would notice right now that these raindrops aren’t the only thing that’s currently dripping down her face.

God, was that hard to give?

“Apple Bloom.”

And there it was, she heard it. At first she thought it was only her subconscious, the tiny lingering hope in her mind that perhaps, God has for once granted her dying wish-a friend. But she immediately dismissed the idea. Everything for her was bleak; hope would only make her sulkier than she already is, if that’s even possible with her current mindset.

That ‘friend’ was her sister, and back then, she was happy. She had been contented even though she was ugly and disdained by the whole world. But God had to take her big sister away. Despite the fact that He knows a poor little filly would be left behind. Despite the fact that He knows how much she depended her life upon her sister. Because the One up there, she decided, hated her too. He liked seeing her suffer; he liked consigning her to the pits of oblivion.

“Apple Bloom.”

There it was again. The warmest, soothing voice she had ever heard, calling her.

Apple Bloom shut her eyes closed. It was already too much to bear. If moving only caused her to retch, then what good can delusions do? She forced on shutting her eyelids tighter, determined to never open them again, until she heard it, again, for the third time. Nonetheless, she maintained her forlorn thinking, yearning for a glimpse of death.

But God had other plans.

~ xXx ~

The aching of her stomach was enough evidence to tell her she’s still alive. She cursed indistinctly under her breath, yet, she couldn’t explain the assuasive presence that seemed to near her remaining sense of awareness. Something unnatural was coming to her aid, she surmised. She had thought it out, and by sheer curiosity, opened her orange eyes.

A pair of adorable blue eyes stared at her limp corpse. Maybe this was death; maybe she already kicked the bucket. Because for a moment, her body became numb from any pain. For a moment, she was redeemed from her sorrows. For a moment, she forgot about her impending doom. And despite everything else, she smiled.

She smiled for the first time since her sister died.

But all of it lasted for only a moment. She was alive, she knew. She felt it. It was still dawn, and the rain has abruptly stopped. But the comforting presence she still can’t explain. She tried searching through his eyes, as if it were an open door for answers. Devoid and broken amethyst eyes smoldered with those jovial azure orbs. However, she saw nothing but curiosity, pity, and downright sense of goodness. She squinted from the vibrant sight, whilst it continued to stare back at her, apparently lost too in the depths of her eyes’ chromatic, brooding color, the only part of her that’s truly remarkable.

The colt, her knight in shining armor, was just about her age or possibly 2 years older. He had unearthly sea-kissed eyes which seemed to sway and vibrate radiance; blonde, curly hair and a skeptical expression as he peered at her. Perhaps, bewildered or weirded out by her pathetic excuse for an existence.

“Apple Bloom,” he whispered again, looking at her with the same keen expression. Apple Bloom, the one he’d been calling endlessly, became nettled and a grimace replaced her smiling façade. The ever-so-glistening, endearing, perfect, euphoric, and you name it colt smirked simultaneously, causing a more annoyed-looking Apple Bloom right away. Can’t he see that she was busy trying to die? When will he stop whispering her damn name?

“You have a pretty name,” he uttered unexpectedly.

“Yes I know. I’m ugly,” she slurred, fuming. The blonde bloke seemed to be taken aback for a fleeting second.

“No that’s not what I meant,” he frowned a bit. “Y’know what? You also have a very beautiful soul.”

At this, Apple Bloom raised a brow. “Excuse m-” and then she was cut off when a cough forced its way through her mouth, blood forming down the corners of her lips and chins. ‘Excuse me but what are you talking about?’ She thought to herself. Her body might have turned numb but her vocal cord wasn’t abiding her still. Turns out, the perfect colt wasn’t the perfect doctor after all.

“I’m no doctor,” Perfect colt interrupted, standing up straight and removing his gaze ahead from her for the first time. Apple Bloom was startled. He immediately returned his attention back to her.

“Anyway going back to the topic, I said you have a beautiful soul, which is indeed true ,because you keep on thinking about how evil you are for stealing a piece of cake. Well, that’s wrong but it’s out of necessity. After all that has happened to you, it doesn’t make you evil.”

Apple Bloom was agape.

‘How did you know? And for your information, it’s bread. Not cake.’ She mouthed yet, the voice didn’t come. She had to scowl in indignation.

“Oh that’s fine. Cake sounds a whole lot more appetizing than dull, lousy, boring bread,” the colt stated matter-of-factly. “By the way, I can hear your thoughts,” he then added. “It’s called telepathy.”

If Apple Bloom wasn’t already frozen, she could have been more petrified about what she had just heard. Hear? My thoughts? But how?

“Dang, too many questions!” He was holding it back but she knows he grew a bit of impatient.

‘Sorry, forgot about your hearing ability.’

“That’s fine, never mind.” A sigh was heard.

“I can hear you because, well,-” he hesitated.

She opened her mouth to answer, and closed it again, remembering. She just wasn’t used of talking through her mind, or telepathy as told by him. ‘Come on.’

She encouraged. ‘How? Why? What are you?’

“I thought we’re done with the amount of questions thing.”

‘I thought it’s fine and you didn’t mind,’ She snapped, feeling a little smug.

“Never mind then,” he grinned impishly.

‘No, tell me!’

The colt looked down at her beadily. His eyes, she noted, were as blue as the sky.

“You’d have to figure it out yourself,” he smiled. One thing she didn’t realized, was that his smile illuminated the dark place, literally. For as soon as he made the simple gesture, the sun began rising.

Perchance, she didn’t notice it, because she, herself, was mesmerized and calmed when she saw him smile. It wasn’t a smirk, not even a grin, it was a true smile coming from a strangely very beautiful colt. A colt whose features reflect both twinge of innocence and knowledge. Innocence, evidently from his physical age, and knowledge, perhaps, for his experiences unbeknownst to her. Maybe his appearance wasn’t his actual, real age. It didn’t even seem to give him enough justice.

He extended a hoof amiably for her to take, miraculously, she managed to move and take his hoof as she stood limply, amazed by what she had just done.

“Your hooves-” he whispered certainly, “are soft and wonderful. You will be a good artist.”

“I was dying, I thought I was-” Apple Bloom mumbled in shock. She could speak.

“I thought so too,” He interrupted. “I thought that’s the reason why I was sent here.”

She didn’t comprehend what he was telling but he continued.

“But the passing of dawn doesn’t mean your life shall pass too. It’s not the end; it’s the start of something new. Turns out, I was here to teach you some things.”

She was rendered speechless.

“Firstly, you will not die, well, at least not now. Secondly, God heeds your prayers. Don’t ever think again that He will ever abandon you. Thirdly, do not despise your eyes; in fact, they’re unique. As they say, eyes are the windows through one’s soul,” He paused. “It’s true…and just like what I’ve said a while ago, yours is beautiful.”

At this moment, Apple Bloom was sobbing absently. She cannot fathom what was happening before her very eyes. All her life, she had grown to hate every essence of her being, especially her eyes. They were orange, rare and exotic. People would often discuss about how hideous and different it were, that her soul was as monstrous as her eyes. And suddenly, a colt she didn’t even know was saying she was beautiful. That her eyes told him that. His words meant so much.

He stared at her in the eyes. “You just have to believe in Him, Apple Bloom, just like before your sister died. Don’t worry about her; she’s now happy with God. By the way, nice name.” and then he was slightly back to his mischievousness. “It fits you well. Like an Apple tree, fragile and weak even though they appear strong. Yet, you can’t deny the fact that it is beautiful.”

Another smile, and the once gloomy place in darkness was entirely lit up, this time, she already noticed.

“Farewell for now, Apple Bloom...Happy birthday.”

As he disappeared from her sight, a thought struck her. She hasn’t even asked for his name yet. But before she could utter a word, he was gone.

Right after he vanished into thin mist, she felt weaker and weaker until she almost slumped back. But before she could do so, she sensed another presence coming near, she heard footsteps. Looking up wearily, she saw a pair of orange eyes.

“Apple Bloom?”

Without a trifle of memory from her recent found friend, Apple Bloom fell into the arms of her father.

~ xXx ~

The colt was erased from her memory, except for the lessons that was glued to her mind. He was never seen again, not until the right time.

Author's Note:

This was WAY easier to write than I thought it would be. I think I just wrote this in about 20 minutes. ANYWAY... hope you enjoyed it.

Comments ( 5 )

i do enjoyed it and i got a question is Princess Apple Bloom and her mother Princess Celestia going to have any Mother and Daughter alone time together in this sequel

4673488 Yeah, they will. These last two chapters have just been what they've thought about after their talk in chapter one.:twilightsmile:

4675351 Yeah, it'll all make sense later on, I promise. Pretty much chapter two is what Cleestia remembered after the events of chapter one and chapter three is Apple Bloom's memory.

Login or register to comment