• Published 21st Jan 2014
  • 356 Views, 3 Comments

Young Skyrider - Skyrider



A simple backstory of my original character, Skyrider.

  • ...
 3
 356

An Unbreakable Bond

Chasing dreams can sometimes be difficult, tough and requires a lot of patience, determination and endurance. Skyrider would soon learn about the importance of each of those aspects.

It was a few days later where the young pegasus was outside cruising around in the sky. It had seemed to be a fine sunny afternoon, but not for long. Skyrider was soaring around, enjoying his time in the sky without realizing that he had gone far away from home. His playfulness leaded him to Shatterwood Forest that was located somewhere in an outlying part of the land of Equestria. He was also not aware about what was going to happen as he continued to playfully glide and soar around the quiet forest. His attention was also distracted by a flock of birds that were flying into the forest. Skyrider followed them and he was now inside of the land with tall trees around him. From down there, he could not get a clear view of the blue sky that was starting to get darker. A thunderstorm was approaching slowly. The young pegasus then realized that something was happening as he landed on the ground, trying to look at the sky from below. Very strong gust of wind started to blow, causing trees to sway from left to right, large group of dark clouds were getting closer, almost casting on the whole of Shatterwood Forest below. In the vast field of the dark clouds, a lightning leaped from one cloud to another, letting out the sound of a thunder that made the young pegasus became aware that he had to get back home fast before a very heavy downpour begins. Otherwise, he will be in great trouble trying to get to somewhere safe.

Without anymore hesitation, Skyrider spread his wings and took flight. The moment the young pegasus was back in between the forest below and the storm above, Cloudsdale was nowhere in sight. He knew of the direction of Cloudsdale, but the view from above looked like it would be an endless flight. Hesitation would only waste his time. Thus, he immediately flew as fast as he could. Just when it seemed that he had flew far away from the storm, a strong air current blew against him as he struggled to get a hold of his body. When he got back to an upright position, he found himself still right below of the storm. It then began to rain heavily with strong waves of winds. Since he was small and light, the young pegasus was being flipped around in mid air by the strong wave of wind but he managed to hold himself on top of a tree. The moment he regained his balance on the top of the tree, Skyrider dashed forward again, trying to fly out of the thunderstorm. His wings got heavier as the rain water soaked his feathers which he had to use more energy to fly. Not only that but flying against the wind was also taking up most of his strength. He could only hope that the wind would stop blowing, just to give him enough time to fly out of the thunderstorm. Unfortunately, it did not happen. Another strong wave of wind blew again. He was once again pushed back into the thunderstorm and was going to crash down onto the thick forest below.

Just when he thought that he was going to collide into the trees below, his dad dashed in quickly and caught the young Pegasus with both hooves. He held the young pegasus tightly in his forearms as he flapped his wings hard to slow down their fall. And with a hard stomp on the ground with both of his back legs, they both came to a hard landing. Earlier, his dad saw that the young pegasus was going further and further away, and had expected him to come back after awhile but he didn’t. He had also noticed the change of wind and guessed that a thunderstorm was going to approach where Skyrider was, and luckily, he was right. With no time wasted, he immediately set out to search for him, where he made it in time to catch his fall.

“Sky! Sky! Are you alright?” His dad called out to him with a worried face.

Skyrider looked at his dad and quickly hugged him.

“Dad, I’m scared…” The young pegasus replied.

“Don’t worry, Sky. I’m here...and we’re gonna get back home safely, I promise.” His dad sighed with relieve after seeing that Skyrider was safe and unhurt. “Come on, let’s get out of here. Can you still fly?”

“Y-yeah.”

“If you can’t go on, let me know alright?”

The young pegasus nodded and they both began to fly out of the thunderstorm. The forest was dark, and they decided to try to get out of the thunderstorm by flying in the dark forest. They cannot move fast enough because the range of their vision was limited and they had no choice but to move with limited speed. Suddenly, a thunder struck a tree ahead of the two pegasus which sent it tumbling down on the ground. Both Skyrider and his dad instantly came to a halt.

His dad then told the young pegasus, “Flying in the forest is too dangerous. We gotta try flying above the forest…”

“No dad,” Skyrider interrupted, “I’ve tried but the wind blowing is just too strong.”

“Right. Uhh, wait right here Sky.” His dad replied as he flew to the top of the forest, looking around for a place that they could go for the moment. He then spotted a cave northeast of their current position and instantly headed back down to the young pegasus.

“There is a cave nearby, we’ll go there for now and think of something.” He told Skyrider.

The both of them spread their wings and started making their way toward the cave as fast as they can in the thunderstorm and in the dark forest. The rough thunderstorm caused another lightning to strike a tree behind them, but as it tumbled down, it crashed onto another tree beside them and another in front.

“Stay close to me Sky, and follow my lead!” His dad shouted in the thunderstorm, telling the young pegasus to be careful as they dodge the falling trees, moving swiftly from one tree to another.

The thunderstorm showed no sign of stopping and it continued to rain heavily. The flash of the lightning was bright enough that it helped lit the path for the two pegasus even if it was just for a split second. Soon, both Skyrider and his dad managed to reach the cave and quickly went inside just before a large tree fell at the entrance of the cave. If another tree were to fall, it would block the entrance and they would be trap there.

“Dad...I don’t think we can get out of the thunderstorm…” Skyrider panted as he stared outside at the heavy rain.

His dad remained silent while thinking of a way out. But it was just a few seconds later that he thought of an exit.

“There is one way. It is a bit dangerous, but I think we can do it.” He told his colt.

“I…I don’t know, I’m not sure if I can. I…” The young pegasus replied with indecision. The rough and stormy environment outside had affected his will to escape.

“Sky...” The older pegasus walked up to Skyrider. He placed his hoof under Skyrider’s chin and pushed his head up. “You are an amazing flier, Sky. You are also the greatest colt I could ever have. What happened to the wild and lively Skyrider? The colt that I know would not let this thunderstorm make him give up that easily, would he?” He said with a smile.

“No…” Skyrider responded while shuffling his hooves.

“I promise you that we will get back home safely no matter what happens,” His dad said confidently with his wings spread wide open in front of the young pegasus. “And I will always be here to protect you!”

Skyrider replied with a nod and a smile that was filled with confidence and hope. His wings were also spread wide open, signifying that he was ready for the challenge.

“Now, stay very close to me like before, stay right below me, and follow my lead, alright?” His dad advised him.

“Okay!” The young pegasus replied nodding.

Without anymore hesitation, they both once again head back into the sky where they would escape the thunderstorm from high above. The wind would not be as strong as it was, but there was also a danger that they might fly toward a lightning. It was a risk they had to take, but Skyrider believed in his dad at the decision he made since he had more flying experience than himself.

As they approach the dark thunderstorm clouds, the young pegasus stayed close, just right behind at his dad’s tail. The two pegasus continued to soar higher as they dodge lightning that leaped from one cloud to another, flying pass charged clouds with their exceptional flying skills together. Like stallion like colt, their flight patterns were much synchronized to each other. The rhythm of their wings and the way that they flew were very much the same. And soon, an exit became visible. There was a ray of light that was shining in from a hole in the thunderstorm clouds which would lead their way to safety.

“We’re almost there, Sky! Just a bit more further.” He said.

However, Skyrider had reached his limit and was too tired to continue. His wings stopped flapping and he began to fall. The rhythm of the synchronized flying broke which made his dad realized that the young pegasus was not following him anymore at the back of his tail.

“Sky!” His dad shouted and quickly turns back around with a quick dive towards him.

With a swift curve, he caught the young Pegasus with his hooves and continued to fly toward the exit. They don’t have much time as charged lightning clouds were slowly closing up the exit above. His dad flew with full speed ahead and with all his strength as the hole got smaller and smaller. The stallion gave one strong beat of his wings and then folded them in. At the very last second when the clouds sealed the exit, Skyrider and his dad shot out high into the bright sky, successfully escaped from the terrifying thunderstorm below. The warm sunlight greeted them as they shook the water off from their body, mane and tail. Skyrider, who was in his dad’s hooves, looked up at him where he saw a warm smile.

“Did…did we make it?” The young pegasus asked softly.

“Look!” His dad replied as he turned his head looking at the warm sun that was shining.

Skyrider smiled again as he closed his eyes, resting in the warm arms of his dad. Their bodies might be cold, but their hearts were warm like the sun. They both then made their way back to their cloudhome with warm hearts and smiles on their face, relieved and happy that they managed to escape from the thunderstorm.

Back home, Skyrider’s mom was sitting at the front door, gazing at the two pegasus approaching from the distance. She stood up and slowly walked towards them when they arrived. His dad put the young pegasus down gently; he was able to stand on his own. Skyrider dried his wings by flapping them a few times before tucking them back in. He then looked up at his mom, greeting her with a huge smile. Tears rolled down her cheek as she pulled the young pegasus into a tight hug. Her warm wings wrapped around the young pegasus tightly as a teardrop dripped onto his mane. She was really worried for their safety and was now very happy to see that they were both back home safely. His dad joined in the hug, laying his head over the mare’s mane where their cold bodies were now covered with warmth. And soon enough, they all head into their warm and cozy home for a much needed rest to recover. It was a long and tiring day for the young colt, and it had been an adventure and experience that would he would not mind doing it all over again at all.

Even after that incident, the young pegasus was still outside in the blue sky, flying everyday to improve his flight skills, gaining more and different abilities as he practiced. After all that he had gone through in Shatterwood Forest with his dad, giving up was now never an option to the young pegasus. But the adventure for this young pegasus was not over yet. All that time, he was being watched by another mysterious pegasus who remained in the shadows high above on the clouds. Who was that pegasus and why was he lurking from above the cloud? The story and adventure will continue for this young, wild and free pegasus as he will find out the identity of the mysterious pegasus who had been following him.

Author's Note:

Please forgive me for the mistakes I've done in this story because it is my first time writing a story this long. Also, I'll be writing the continuation of this story and I will try to improve my writing skills as well. I hope you all like it and thank you so much for reading it.

Comments ( 1 )

O.o.. I personally don't like the ending. His dad tried to get him killed instead of waiting for the storm to settle. A pep talk kills his fear, and in the end, his dad still saves him. Then he goes home, happily ever after, about how dedicated he is at flying. If this oc isn't a future wonderbolt or aerialist (because at this stage, we don't know), then he really doesn't deserve to live lol (Dude, thunderstorms are scary, ESPECIALLY when you're flying through it. Also, lightning just doesn't take its time to strike you so you can dodge them, and it doesn't go straight down.) Was kinda hoping he crashed, but refuses to let the crash hurt his dreams, but hey, this is your oc, your story xD

Login or register to comment