• Published 18th Jan 2014
  • 9,926 Views, 817 Comments

Sweetie Belle and the School of Witchcraft and Wizardry - AnnonyMouse



Sweetie Belle attends Hogwarts... What can POSSIBLY go wrong?

  • ...
35
 817
 9,926

Chapter Ten

Disclaimer: My Little Pony Friendship is Magic belongs to Hasbro. Harry Potter belongs to JK Rowling. This is a free fiction, not to be sold or traded for any money, services or goods.

Please refrain from commenting on any spelling and / or grammatical errors. Rather, PM me and I will see to fixing them in due time, thank you. For more information, see my profile.

Sweetie Belle and the School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
10


As the sun rose, it was not visible thanks to the overcast sky, but somehow, thankfully, it was not raining.

The class was gathered outside, with most of the students holding onto their brooms and awaiting Madam Hooch to arrive to teach her lesson. The only student without any means of flying was a little unicorn pony that barely reached knee height of the others.

“Sweetie Belle?” A Hufflepuff girl knelt down before the equine. “How are you going to take part in the class? You can't use a broom.”

Janna, despite being a little on the plump side, was pretty good with the broom, though she didn't ever go very high off the ground. She placed a hand on the other girl's shoulder. “I think she has that covered. She's been spending all week with Madam Hooch and Prof. Flitwick working on some secret project.” She grinned at Sweetie Belle. “We know where you were going, and why. But there were charms and spells keeping us from finding out what you were doing all around the classroom.”

Sweetie Belle smiled adorably. “Madam Hooch is bringing the answer to your question.” She pointed a hoof toward the gate, where said teacher was approaching. Under her arm was something flat, wrapped in a cloth.

The students all stepped into line and turned their attention to their teacher as she arrived.

Madam Hooch approached Sweetie Belle and set down the object, which the unicorn then unwrapped.

Everyone stared at the site of the board that floated a good six inches off the ground without any command. White with pink swirl patterns. A central fin on the bottom, like what would be found on a surfboard, and two more about a quarter of the way from the front, on the bottom, each sticking out at about a forty five degree angle. Those fins looked like wings made from wood.

“Now students.” Madam Hooch stood up and spoke sternly. “We shall resume last weekend's lesson.” She grinned. “I want you to mount your brooms, and board, but don't take off just yet.”

Sweetie Belle landed in the courtyard and hopped off her board, a huge grin plastered on her face. She looked back up into the cloudy sky, the feeling still strong in her heart.

Flight was simply amazing. No wonder the Pegasai thrived in the sky. The feeling of total freedom. There was almost nothing like it. The only feeling she felt was greater was when she was with her friends, simple as that.

“That thing is wicked.” Deuce landed next to Sweetie and dismounted from his own school supplied broom. “You spent all week with Ms. Humphrey and Prof. Flitwick making it, right?”

“Oh yes, we all worked so hard to make this, um...” She looked at it, realizing she couldn't just call it something un-creative like 'flying board'. “Cloud Skimmer.” She beamed as the name came to her just like that.

“Cloud skimmer?” Pheneas Malfoy repeated in a scoffing tone. “Please, it's a floating washboard. It's nowhere near as good as my Dragon Bolt broom.” He shouldered his own black broom, detailed with flame patterns off the front tip. “This is faster, quicker, and better all around.”

Sweetie Belle really didn't like Phineas, but he was right. His broom certainly had outperformed her board. “I have to agree it's faster and can turn better.” She smiled. “But this board, it was made by myself, Ms. Humphrey, Prof. Flitwick, and my best friends in all of Equestria. It means a lot to me. Did you make your broom?”

Phineas looked down on Sweetie Belle. “Why would I do something that is meant for labor witches and wizards to do? That is beneath me as a pureblood.” He glared at Sweetie. “The only thing going for you is that you are a pureblood as well.”

Sweetie Belle had learned what it meant to be considered a pureblood. “Well, yes, my mother and father are Unicorns, as are my grandparents on both sides, but my great grandmother and Great Grandfather on my mom's side were Pegasai.”

Phineas shrugged. “It only matters if it goes back two generations at the least, though my family goes back over twenty generations. So compared to me, you're barely even worth considering a pureblood.”

“That explains it then.” Deuce stepped in front of Phineas. “You're from twenty generations of inbreeding.”

“Pff, as if you understand what it means to be pureblood.” The blond boy turned to leave, but was blocked by one of his own house. A lean, strong looking boy who was a few inches taller than the Malfoy boy.

“Listen up Malfoy, just because you're from a pureblood family means nothing considering your family's history. Leave the unicorn alone.”

“Or what?”

The boy had a pair of other Slytherin students join him, a boy and a girl. “We're trying to change what it means to be a Slytherin, and how we get along with the other houses. You are not helping.”

“Yea.” The girl leaned forward. “I mean, seriously, who wants to be hated by everyone else all the time. Sure, we can get along with the other houses and stuff, and we can help each other out, but to be hated? I don't want that.”

The second boy nodded. “You got it Fray. I mean, yea, use the other houses to get what we want, but it doesn't hurt to be nice about it and even help them in return. Seriously, I'd have messed up a few times in potions if I hadn't gotten help from my Hufflepuff partner, Lily. In trade, I help her out with notes for Astrology.”

Phineas scowled. “That just goes to show how pathetic you are.”

“Um, Mr. Malfoy?” Sweetie Belle had hopped up on her board and was now hovering so they were at equal eye levels. “Why are you being so mean? I never did anything to you.”

“You are a lowly animal. That's lower than a mudblood, but you're still a pureblood. Lucky for you. Then again...” The boy reached into his robes and drew his wand. He opened his mouth and started on a spell. “Conflagerate.”

A small ball of fire emerged from the tip of his wand and hit Sweetie Belle's Cloud Skimmer, taking everyone by surprise.

Sweetie Belle gasped and pulled up, her board smoking slightly from the fire that hit it, but oddly, it was not burned. “Hey, why did you do that?”

Phineas was outraged. “Wh-what? Why didn't your plank of wood catch fire?”

Sweetie Belle looked down at Malfoy, a frown on her face. “The wood is from the core of a Zap Apple tree. Lightning and fire can't hurt it at all.” She came in for a landing and looked the board over, glad that nothing had been damaged.

“Stupid beast.” Phineas pushed past the other students, as well as his own housemates and stormed off. Before vanishing through the open doorway, he turned back. “This isn't over.”

Nobody replied as Madam Hooch came over and looked over the board, amazed that the simple fire spell had done nothing to it. “Sweetie Belle, are you alright?”

“Yes Madam Hooch. I was just startled that he cast that spell at me like that.” She hung her head. “Why is he so mean?”

“He's always like that.” The Slytherin girl shrugged. “I mean, just because his family is so messed up and all that. Sheesh. I like not being hated.” She turned to Mary, an honest smile on her face. “Oh Mary, I got my half of the history report done. What say we go and get it all put together for Monday.”

Mary nodded. “Too right Fray. I'd never have been able to write the whole thing myself.” With that, the pair of girls walked off, chatting and giggling.

Madam Hooch was just amazed. In all her years as a teacher at Hogwarts, she had never seen Slytherin get along with any of the other houses. The year had started out just like every other year, but it quickly started to change. All the houses were getting along, though still keeping up with a healthy level of friendly competition, rather than having hostilities (mainly too and from Slytherin). “Well, I'm deducting ten points from Slytherin for Malfoy's conduct, but also giving them ten points for how the rest of you stood up to him. One should never have to put up with bullying or abuse. Now, off with the lot of you.”

She watched as her class dissipated before heading off to get ready for the second class of the day.

As she neared her office, she came across the Headmistress.

“Ah, Madam Hooch. I saw what happened in your class out my office window. Do you want to talk about it?”

All she did was smile. “Actually, other than a very few stubborn students here and there in every house, this has been a very nice year. Still, I have to write my report to submit it to you.”

“Walk with me and tell me about it. We can forgo the written version.”

The pair walked off, with the flight teacher relating all that had transpired.

Sweetie Belle sat by herself during lunch, sitting outside under the covered walkway to keep from the rain. Leaning against the railing next to her was her Cloud Skimmer.

The Unicorn thought about Phineas Malfoy and realized he was just like Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.

“Why does every school have to have bullies?” She sighed and nommed on her sandwich, not really even enjoying it.

“Just cause some people are just like that.” A deep voice spoke as none other than the giant of a man known as Hagrid stepped into view. “Pay im no mind. He ain't worth the effort.”

Sweetie Belle looked up and Hagrid crouched down to make talking to her easier. “But Phineas is worse than the bullies from my school in Ponyville. He can cast spells. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are Earth Ponies so they can't.”

Hagrid nodded. “Well, I ave t' say yer something special. Some of them Slytherine are being downright nice and getting along with the other students. Ain't ever seen nothing like it before.” He stroked his beard and chuckled. “Say, what's that?” He pointed at the white and pink board.

“Oh, that's what I use instead of a broomstick to fly.”

Hagrid blinked. “Ya don't say? I use ta have a big old motorbike but it got taken away by the Ministry. No broom can carry me, so now I can't fly at all.”

Sweetie Belle gasped, covering her mouth with her tiny hooves. “You're not allowed to fly?”

“Nope. Heck, I ain't actually ever finished my schoolin, so I ain't allowed to do no magic.” He sat down on the cobblestones next to Sweetie Belle, grunting as he did so. “But that ain't much problem. Never did learn much magic anyways.”

Sweetie Belle gasped again. “But you're a teacher here, aren't you? Don't you have to know magic to do that?”

Hagrid guffawed. “Certainly, if yer a magic teacher. I teach all about magical creatures and how to care for them.”

“You would get along so well with a Pegasus Pony I know. Her special talent is taking care of animals of all sorts.”

Hagrid blinked, then grinned. “Now that I have to agree with. Last teacher for care of magical creatures had to retire on accounts ah not bein all there.”

The filly gasped again. “He was crazy?”

“What?” Hagrid stared at Sweetie, then realized what he'd said. “Goodness no. His mind was all where it should be. I mean he was missing bits and pieces from some critters being none to friendly.”

Yet again Sweetie Belle gasped. “He got hurt? Is he alright?”

“Oh sure. He's retired and taking care of normal animals now. You know, a dog and some fish in a little fish tank.”

Sweetie Belle giggled. “My sister has a cat. Her name is Opalescence, and I think she's more dangerous than any magical creature out there.” She tapped her chin with her hoof. “Ok, maybe not more dangerous, but she's not a nice cat. I don't like cats because of Opal.”

Hagrid chuckled heartily and grunted as he rose to his huge feet. “Well, this Opal ain't here. Now, bout them bullies. Just pay them no mind and don't go listening to anything they have to say.”

Sweetie Belle nodded slightly. “I guess I can try.” Truth be told, she never had done well dealing with the bullies back home. Maybe if she learned to deal with Phineas, she could learn to deal with those two. “Thank you Mr. Hagrid.”

Hagrid beamed a grin. “Well then, I gotta get going. Gotta pick up some special something for my next class.” He waved and walked off.

Sweetie Belle smiled, feeling a little better now. She levitated her sandwich off the plate and took a bite, this time enjoying it.

The rain petered out shortly after lunch, but Sweetie Belle had returned to the her room to store her Cloud Skimmer away till she needed it next.

Looking at the board, she thought about Hagrid and how he couldn't use a normal broomstick to fly. She felt bad for him, and had already noticed he most likely wouldn't do well on a board like hers, even a larger one.

A knock at her door shook her from her thoughs.

“Hey Sweetie Belle, do you still need help with History?” Berty Trimble poked his head into the open doorway, but bumped it on some barrier. “Ouch.”

“Sorry, there's a no boy barrier on the doorway.” Her cute giggle made the boy grin as he rubbed his head. “And yes, I would like some help with History.”

A couple hours later.

“And finished.” Sweetie Belle set down her feathered quill and sighed. “Thank you again Berty.”

“You helped me as much as I helped you.” Berty leaned back and sighed. “History is so boring.”

Sweetie Belle nodded in agreement. “I think it's interesting, but yea, it is boring.” She leaned back in the oversized armchair she sat in and looked over her history homework one last time. Finally satisfied, she set it down and put all her homework away.

As Sweetie Belle was about to hop out of her chair, a knock came at the common room door. Everyone present looked and watched as a folded letter slid under it.

Berty went over and picked it up and frowned. “It's to Sweetie Belle, and the seal on it is Slytherin.”

Sweetie Belle hopped out of the chair and approached, accepting the letter as Berty offered it to her. She looked at it and saw only her name written on it.

“So?” Berty knelt down and looked at the letter that was enveloped in Sweetie Belle's soft green magic. “Open it.”

After a moment of staring at the letter, Sweetie Belle opened it. Almost instantly, she wished she hadn't. A cloud of dust burst out and coated her. She coughed and choked as she breathed the sparkling substance in, her magic failing and the envelope dropping to the floor.

Berty has staggered back, avoiding the small puff of dust, but was instantly grabbing Sweetie Belle's tail and pulling her out of the cloud.

The filly coughed and sneezed, gasping for breath for a few moments before recovering. “Wh-what just happened?” She asked, blinking her eyes to get the offending glitter from her eyes.

Janna was over in moments, pulling a small vial from within her robes. “Hold still Sweetie Belle.” She applied a single drop to each of the young pony's eyes, and they stopped stinging instantly. “Is that better?”

Another couple coughs, and Sweetie Belle nodded. “Thank you Janna. What is that stuff?” She looked at the settling cloud of glittery dust.

Mary came over and drew her wand. She waved it through the remnants of the cloud and muttered a spell. “It's glitterdust. It's used to make invisible things visible, but it can also be used to make a choking cloud that can make spellcasting nearly impossible.” She sighed and waved her wand. “Accio broom and pan.”

Instantly a broom and dust pan flew to the Prefect's hands as she put her wand away. “Perty, Janna, take Sweetie Belle to the infirmary to make sure she'll be alright. There may have been something else hidden in this dust.”

She started sweeping it up and pouring it into a small vial she produced from one of her pockets.

Berty and Janna did as told. Berty scooping Sweetie Belle into his arms and the pair of human children rushed off to get their tiny equine friend to get help.

A shadowy figure watched the trio rush from the dorm room and suppressed his snicker. He pulled out a small folded crane and tapped it with his wand. “Locomotor Paper.” He grinned. “Get your message to the others.” He let it go and watched it fly off down the hall quickly.

The young Slytherin then slipped off into the shadows.

“Why is the infirmary on the far side of the school?” Berty muttered out loud.

“Why ask me?” Janna asked, not realizing it had been a rhetorical question. “I'm as new to this school as you are.”

“Wasn't asking you.” He countered. “Sorry, I'm worried about Sweetie Belle.”

Sweetie Belle coughed out a small cloud of glitterdust and whimpered. She couldn't even speak without coughing, and trying to concentrate on her magic would be impossible.

Still, they managed to reach their destination with no interruptions.

“Madam Pomfrey.” Janna called out, spotting the nurse emerge from her small office on the far end of the long room.

“Shh, we have some injured students.” The plump lady came forward. “What is the problem?” She asked as the boy set the familiar filly on an unoccupied bed.

“Sweetie Belle breathed in glitterdust.” Janna explained. “She got a letter with her name and a Slytherin seal on it, and when she opened it, the dust came out.”

“Another one?” Pomfrey sighed and fetched a bottle. She unstoppered it and poured a little into a small glass. “Drink this deary.” She helped the filly drink the strong smelling fluid. “Luckily I'd just whipped up this medicine.”

Sweetie Belle cringed a little at the odd tasting liquid that smelled how Deuce's steak smelled. She then leaned over the edge of the bed and...

Madam Pomfrey summoned a small pail in time to keep the mess off the floor. “Goodness, that's never happened before.” She frowned as Sweetie Belle not only was heaving, but coughing horribly. She paused and sniffed the medicine, in case she'd somehow gotten it mixed up with another.

It was the right medicine, and only after suddenly remembering how Sweetie Belle had reacted to seeing meat being eaten for the first time, and the fact the medicine smelled like boiled steak...

“Oh no... this medicine tasted like meat.” She frowned deeply. “I'm sorry Sweetie Belle, but you need to drink this. We don't want your vocal cords to be damaged from the coughing.”

The filly looked up at Pomfrey with her pretty green eyes, an expression of dread and illness on her face.

Pomfrey stood firm. “Not all medicine will taste good Deary, but it will make you feel better after you take it.”

“N... no.” Sweetie Belle shook her head and then looked up at Janna with a pleading expression.

“Madam Pomfrey, maybe there's another medicine that can help?” Janna hoped there was.

The nurse kept her frown and nodded. “Yes, but it tastes even worse and takes a lot longer to work.”

“How bad can it be?” Berty asked. “Will she be ok by morning?”

Pomfrey nodded. “Yes, she'll be fine by morning, but I've been told it tastes absolutely horrible and nobody has ever been able to keep it down for long. But fine, I'll fetch it.” She turned and headed back into her office. A minute later she emerged carrying a vial of near black fluid that seemed to bubble on its own.

This time Sweetie Belle drank it, and her eyes popped open wide, and she tilted the glass back and licked her lips. “Toast.” She managed to say.

The three humans stared at Sweetie Belle, but it was Madam Pomfrey who had the look of total shock on her face.

“Toast?” She blinked a few times, unable to comprehend what Sweetie Belle meant.

“Tastes just like the toast I make at home.” Sweetie Belle spoke softly, as not to aggravate her sore throat.

Pomfrey urped a little, but forced herself to swallow. There had to be something seriously wrong with the filly's taste buds. “I'm not certain I want to know.” She put the cork back in the vial and looked at the vile looking, black burbling fluid. She'd tasted it before, and it tasted nothing like toast.

Janna giggled. “Will you be alright now Sweetie Belle?”

Sweetie Belle lay back and nodded before letting out a yawn, her eyes starting to flutter.

Berty looked around at the other students. He noted that there was one from Slytherin, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw, and now Sweetie Belle from Griffindor. “Wait, why is there a Slytherin here? They're the ones that sent the letter to Sweetie Belle.”

Madam Pomfrey looked at the Slytherin girl on the cot as she lay there half asleep. “I was told it was Hufflepuff who sent her a letter and had the glitterdust get in her eyes and throat. Seems that Deuce there got a letter from Griffindor.” She pointed at the twin to Zwei. “And Lily there from Hufflepuff got her letter from Ravenclaw.”

Berty looked the victims over, and noted that the Slytherin girl was Fray Brooks, whom had stood up for Sweetie Belle before. He kept this to himself, for now.

“That's horrible.” Janna frowned. She was about to say more when Madam Pomfrey interupted her.

“Yes, and my patients need their rest. Scoot, out with the two of you.” She ushered the pair of Griffindor from the room and out into the hall. “Go straight back to your rooms, and no lollygagging in the halls.” She then shut the doors.

On her way back to her office, she checked on her wards, noting that they all seemed to be resting much better, except Sweetie Belle who would let out a small cough from time to time. She felt bad for the unicorn, but knew that she'd done all she could at this time.

“Try to rest Sweetie Belle. You should be feeling much better by morning.”

A small crane landed on a gloved hand and was quickly unfolded to reveal a letter.

“Glitterdust works exceptionally well on Unicorn.”

The tall, cloaked woman grinned at her shorter companion. “Stage one is complete. Once the visit to Hogsmead happens, we'll be able to use this stuff to capture our target, and then we'll become rich beyond our wildest dreams.”

“To riches.” The man raised his mug and clunked it against the other's.

To Be Continued...