• Published 18th Jan 2014
  • 9,925 Views, 817 Comments

Sweetie Belle and the School of Witchcraft and Wizardry - AnnonyMouse



Sweetie Belle attends Hogwarts... What can POSSIBLY go wrong?

  • ...
35
 817
 9,925

Chapter Seven

Disclaimer: My Little Pony Friendship is Magic belongs to Hasbro. Harry Potter belongs to JK Rowling. This is a free fiction, not to be sold or traded for any money, services or goods.

Please refrain from commenting on any spelling and / or grammatical errors. Rather, PM me and I will see to fixing them in due time, thank you. For more information, see my profile.

Sweetie Belle and the School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
07


The first week flew by, with Sweetie Belle learning more than she had ever learned about magic back in Equestria, even if they had yet to actually teach many spells.

The filly found that learning the theory behind wizardy and witchcraft was necessary before even learning the most basic of spells.

Though she found most of the lessons trite and boring, she endured, payed attention and took her notes. She didn't want to disappoint Rarity or Princess Twilight by failing, and she especially wanted to be worthy of her wand, the Lunar Wand.

And so it came to the first Saturday, a day with only one class. A new class at that, and this time outdoors.

The teacher this time looked a little strange, with short, spiky white hair and yellow cat's eyes.

“Good morning class. I am Madam Hooch. Today you are going to begin learning about the most common means of travel for most witches and wizards.” She walked back and forth in front of the assembled students, eying them with her strange eyes. “The Broomstick. I know all, or rather, most of you are familiar with this idea.” She stopped and looked at Sweetie Belle. “Are you familiar with the use of broomsticks to fly about?”

“No Ma'am.” Sweetie Belle replied, looking up at the much taller teacher.

“Well, that is alright. I am certain you will get the grasp of it quickly.” She walked a short distance away and turned to face the assembles dozen students. “Now, place your broom on the ground to your left, then hold you left hand over the broom and say 'Up'. I do not want you to do anything other than that for the moment.”

The following few moments had varying results, with a few students getting in the first few tries, and some seeming to have great difficulty with even getting the broom to rise.

Sweetie Belle was another matter entirely. Her broom almost seemed confused, hopping up, only to bounce off her hoof and falling back to the ground.

Madam Hooch noticed this and frowned. “It would seem that the broomstick is not going to be an option for you little one.”

“I don't have hands...” Sweetie Belle looked up with her big green eyes, watering slightly as she tried not to cry.

Looking away, Madam Hooch had to take a few deep breaths to calm her heart. Goodness that filly was almost too much to stand, and this was the first time they had come face to face, so to speak. Looking back, she knelt down and used a kerchief to dry Sweetie Belle's eyes. “Now now Sweetie Belle. I am sure there is something we can do. How do the magic users in your homeland travel?”

“Um, well...” Sweetie Belle thought for a bit. “We have a train, and Princess Twilight used to travel on a Pegasai drawn chariot. But she can also teleport and now that she has wings, she can fly on her own.”

Madam Hooch blinked, honestly surprised. “Really? Chariots? Pegasai? I thought all ponies are supposed to be pretty much equal, at least that's what I've been hearing from some of your other teachers as they learn about Equestria from you. Why would any agree to be used as a beast of burden?”

Sweetie Belle blinked back. “I don't think that's how it works Ma'am. It's their job, um, kinda like the cab drivers here on Earth.”

“Ah, that makes more sense.” The woman nodded. “In that case, I am unsure of how to teach you to use a broom or any sort of flying object. Then again...” She grinned. “Wait right here, and I do not want ANY of you to even attempt flying till I get back.” She hustled off.

Zwei and Deuce were in the same class, and they came over to Sweetie Belle.

“You really use flying chariots?” Deuce asked. “That's wicked.”

Sweetie Belle nodded. “We also have airships. They're kinda like boats, but float in the sky using big balloons filled with hot air and either move by big fans in the back, or even sails. Some are even pulled by teams of Pegasai, but those are the really old ones.”

Zwei sat down, her legs tucked under her and her broom resting on the ground next to her. “That's amazing. How fast can they go?”

“They can go pretty fast. I've heard it only a couple hours to get from Canterlot to Ponyville in one, while the train takes about six hours. Pegasai can usually make the trip in about an hour, but Rainbow Dash can do it in half an hour. She's the fastest flier in all of Equestria and the only known Pegasai to every perform the Sonic Rainboom.”

“Sonic what-now?” Another boy asked, this one wearing the green of Slytherin.

“The sonic rainboom. She goes so fast that she creates a rainbow ring explosion in the sky. It's the most amazing thing I have ever seen before.” Sweetie Belle beamed, her eyes sparkling as she remembered the very first time she had ever seen it performed, at the Royal Wedding some time ago.

“Hold on.” The Slytherin boy's eyes went wide. “Do you mean to say she breaks the sound barrier, and somehow creates a spectrum explosion in the shape of a ring? That would have to be way more wicked than any normal or even magic fireworks I've ever seen.”

Sweetie Belle nodded, a little surprised that a Slytherin student would actually be this 'friendly'. Ok, more curious, but it was better than hostile or rude.

“What spells does she use?” A Hufflepuff student asked.

“Um, I don't know. She's a Pegasai so she doesn't use magic like a Unicorn can.”

And from there, the questions flew at the somewhat bewildered filly, but she did her best to answer them honesty and to the best of her knowledge. Her best description was that it was the innate magic from the heart that all ponies possessed.

Finally, a good twenty minutes later, Madam Hooch returned, carrying what looked like a dryer board, only a fair bit smaller. “I am back, and I must admit, I am surprised to see all of you still on the ground, and even sitting in a circle... What have you been doing here?”

A boy from Gryffindor that Sweetie Belle didn't know spoke up. “We were asking Sweetie Belle about how they do things in Equestria. Everything there sounds just so amazing.”

“I'm sure it does, and I would love to hear all about it, some other time.” Madam Hooch placed the board on the ground next to Sweetie Belle and took back the broom she had not been so successful with. “Try this Sweetie Belle.”

Sweetie Belle nodded and stood next to the board. “Up.” This time, when it met her hoof, it didn't bounce off.

“And on your first try. I must admit I am impressed.” The teacher smiled. “All of you, back into position and let's take this from the beginning.”

The next hour taught Sweetie Belle a few things of importance.

One, while she could stand and float on the board, it was a bit too slippery for her to keep a good grip on.

Two, falling from thirty feet in the air was terrifying. Thankfully Madam Hooch caught her.

And finally, while flying seemed fun, the board was nowhere near as fast or as maneuverable as a broom.

Madam Hooch sat down with Sweetie Belle at the end of the class and looked over the board, noticing some fine scuffs and scratches on the fairly smooth surface. “You can't keep a grip on this when you make turns, can you?”

All the filly could do was shake her head.

“Well, it is just a board with a flying broom spell on it. I guess it makes sense that it's not really designed for flying.” Tapping her chin, her eyes lit up and she grinned. “Sweetie Belle, come with me. Let's go talk to Prof. Flitwick.”

The short teacher looked over the board. “You placed an enchantment on this cut down washboard so Sweetie Belle could take part in the flying lessons?” He narrowed his eyes at the much taller teacher, who almost shrunk back from the glare.

“Yes?”

“An ingenious idea, but inherently flawed. The Flying Broom enchantment is made only for brooms. You will need to create a whole new spell to make this idea work.” He looked at the hoof scratches on the surface. “In addition, you will need to add a gripping enchantment so the rider can keep their footing, or would that be hoofing?” Flitwick chuckled merrily. “Well then, Sweetie Belle, your next flying lesson is next weekend, correct?”

“Yes it is Professor.” Sweetie Belle answered.

“Perfect. You and I will work together to create for you a flying device based on this brilliant idea. A flying board for small equines. Simply brilliant.”

Madam Hooch smiled. “Will you need my assistance? I am the flight teacher after all.”

“Yes, we will need your expertise in this, seeing as you are the best when it comes to making objects fly.” Flitwick nodded.

“Mostly brooms, sadly.”

Sweetie Belle held up a hoof. “What about me? I don't really know... wait, maybe I do know a spell that can help. First off, I noticed the board was slow, meaning the spell was meant for something light like a broom. I know a spell that can make things lighter, which allows me to float more than I normally can.”

Flitwick nearly squealed in delight. “A merger of Equestrian magic and Wizardry. Never before have two magicks been combined. This will be facinating and very educational.”

Emerging from the classroom, a trio of soot covered figures coughed and collapsed against the wall.

“That didn't work out as well as we had hoped...” Sweetie Belle said after coughing out a small puff of smoke.

Smoke billowed out from the open doorway, attracting the attention of various students who were passing by, but choosing the side of caution, they kept going on their ways.

“I just don't know what went wrong.” Flitwick grumbled, and Sweetie Belle burst out giggling. “I fail to see what is so funny.”

“We derped.” Sweetie Belle tried to reign in her giggles, and then told them about the sweet and friendly mail mare of Ponyville, and how 'I just don't know what went wrong' was something she said at least twice a week when she 'derped' herself.

Listening to the story about the gray and blond mare made both teachers smile. Sweetie Belle spoke of how nice she was, and about how much she loved her daughter, Dinky. Most of what Sweetie Belle told made the pair really like the mare in question, and feel bad that she was so accident prone.

They also learned that ponies seemed to be WAY tougher than they appeared... What with Twilight Sparkle having once taken a dropped anvil and piano to the head and only earning a few bandages from the incident.

“Hold on.” Flitwick suddenly had an idea. “You said that Pegasai have small wings for their size, right?” He recalled an earlier conversation with the filly about the different kinds of ponies.

Sweetie Belle nodded. “Gryphons and Dragons have huge wings that let them fly, but the Pegasai use magic in their wings to help them fly. Why do you ask?”

“Maybe if we could get some shed Pegasai feathers, we can use those with a board along with your featherweight charm, we can make that board for you.”

“But I'm the only Equestian here.”

“We also have Pegasai in our world, though they are rare.”

Sweetie Belle's eyes went wide. “You do? There's ponies living on earth?”

Flitwick and Humphrey looked at each other. This would take some explaining...

Sweetie Belle was not sure what to think. She now recalled being told that the equines of Earth were little more than normal animals. Even the Unicorns and Pegasai here were not as magical as any Equestrian equine.

“Do you understand now?” Flitwick asked.

“I think so.” Sweetie Belle frowned. “I don't think the feathers of the Pegasai from this world would work.” She then remembered her mirror spell. “Oh! I know. How about if I could make a trip back to Equestria, I can ask for any shed feathers from my friends back in Ponyville?”

“I'm afraid I can't allow that.” Madam Hooch frowned. “That would be the same as leaving school grounds.”

Sweetie Was still hopeful. “What if I asked Headmistress Mcgonagall? Would she be able to give permission?”

“Most certainly she could.” Flitwick started. “But I do not know if she would.”

“But without a flying board, there's no way I can take the flying lessons, and those are a part of my grades. I can't grip a broom properly after all and I need something to let me fly.” Tears formed in the corners of her eyes. “I don't want to fail.”

Humphrey backed away, leaving it to Flitwick to deal with the almost crying filly. It was too much for her soft heart.

Flitwick on the other hand, simply beamed and placed a hand on her withers and stroked gently. “I'll come with you when you ask, just in case you need some backup.”

“Would you really?” A pair of huge, sparkling eyes and smile so bright appeared on Sweetie Belle's face. Needless to say, had a certain 'One who shall not be named' been exposed to it, he very well might have either burst into flames, or been converted to good on the spot.

“I would be most pleased to help.” He then turned to his fellow teacher. “Now, Mr. Humphrey, I believe you should be getting ready for your afternoon class.”

“Oh, of course, of course. After I clean up.” She rose to her feet and offered a slight bow to the pair before leaving.

Flitwick also stood up. “Let's go see if we cannot get you some Equestrian Pegasai feathers.”

Headmistress Mcgonagall looked down her nose, through her narrow glasses, at the pair of diminutive figures that sat in chairs across her desk from her.

“You wish to ask permission to leave school grounds to return to Equestria for some feathers.” She asked sternly.

Sweetie Belle nodded, a hopeful look on her face.

“So that you may attempt to create a flying board that will allow you to take your flying lessons.”

Again the filly nodded.

“I do not see why not. It is not like you will not be coming back, but...”

“But?” Sweetie Belle gulped.

“I cannot permit you to go alone.” A wry smile played across her lips. “Can you take others through the mirror with you?”

“I believe so.” Sweetie Belle smiled. “All the spell does is open the portal.”

“I see. Well, we cannot just have you show up in Equestria with a human in tow. That could cause some... difficulties.” She stood up and walked around the desk, shrinking out of sight before reappearing in the form of a black cat wearing a small witches hat.

Sweetie Belle's instant reaction was to jump and hide behind Flitwick. “C-c-c-c...”

“Oh dear... Alureophobia... the fear of cats. This will not do.” Mcgonagall frowned a feline frown.

“H-headmistress?” Sweetie Belle peaked around the confused Flitwick. “D-did you just become a cat?”

“Yes.” She nodded. “I am what we call an Animagus. I can transform myself into this form.”

Sweetie Belle poked her head out a little more. “Do you think you could, I don't know, become a pony? That would make it really easy for you then.”

Mcgonagall made a slightly unreadable face. She really did prefer her small black feline form over any other, and in fact, found it extremely difficult to take on any other animal form. “I could, but it is never easy for an Animagus to take another animal form. We find ourselves rather attached to the one we choose.”

“Oh... Um... Well, you're not really a cat, right?”

“No, I am a witch.”

Sweetie Belle came out fully from hiding. How she was able to nearly completely vanish being a person who was maybe only a foot taller than her and similar in mass was a mystery, but Mcgonagall chose to not question it. Magical talking unicorn pony and all that. Their existence pretty much pranced all over the laws of physics and many of the known laws of magic.

“I guess a cat is fine too...” She grinned nervously. “Just, try to stay away from Opalescence, my sister's cat. She's not the nicest cat out there.”

Mcgonagall nodded. “I understand, and I would actually enjoy the opportunity to see even a little of your world.”

Sweetie Belle jumped up and bounced around the room. “Oh thank you so much Headmistress! You're going to love Ponyville.”

“I just hope I do not regret this decision.” Mcgonagall muttered to herself.

To Be Continued...