• Published 18th Jan 2014
  • 9,923 Views, 817 Comments

Sweetie Belle and the School of Witchcraft and Wizardry - AnnonyMouse



Sweetie Belle attends Hogwarts... What can POSSIBLY go wrong?

  • ...
35
 817
 9,923

Chapter Fourteen

Disclaimer: My Little Pony Friendship is Magic belongs to Hasbro. Harry Potter belongs to JK Rowling. This is a free fiction, not to be sold or traded for any money, services or goods.

Please refrain from commenting on any spelling and / or grammatical errors. Rather, PM me and I will see to fixing them in due time, thank you. For more information, see my profile.

Sweetie Belle and the School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
14

Minerva Mcgonnagal sat at her desk, contemplating all she had just been told by three fillies, Hagrid, and even more than a few students and a couple teachers.

Somebody had attempted to kidnap Sweetie Belle. Or as the fillies put it, ponynap her.

This news came as more of a shock to her than it was to hear that the secret passage to Honeydukes had somehow been reopened without her knowledge.

On her desk was a certain magical map, and it bothered her that even on the map, the passage didn't show up.

Something was afoot here, and she was not pleased to think that one of her students had nearly come to harm. It was like all those years ago when Harry Potter and his friends had attended. Those had been dark times indeed. Were they about to begin again or was this just an isolated incident?

A knock at her office door shook her from her thoughts. “Come in.”

To her delight, and perhaps concern, Harry Potter entered. “Hello Headmistress. I was sent over as soon as the Ministry heard about what happened.”

“Hello Harry. Come in. Come in and have a seat.” She rose and stepped around her desk. “How is Ginny?”

“She's doing great. She worries whenever I go on an assignment, but she's always encouraging me.” Harry smiled and sat down, but almost instantly, his expression changed to one of concern. “The passage to Honeydukes has indeed been reopened. That's how I entered Hogwarts. But it didn't lead to the same secret passage it used too.”

Minerva looked very worried on hearing this. “Dear me. Do you mean someone managed to dig into the school and somehow circumvent the barrier?”

Harry nodded. “At the point of the barrier, I found there's been some spells placed to allow an undetectable opening.” He leaned forward and pointed at a seemingly random spot on the map. “I came out here. An alcove in this hall.”

Minerva nodded. “Yes, I'm aware of its location. Sweetie Belle had her friends had inadvertently discovered it and found themselves in Honeyduke's. When they tried to get back here, well, events out of their control ended up with Sweetie Belle being assaulted and nearly kidnapped.”

“That's what I was told as well.” Harry leaned back in his seat. “I'd like to personally meet her.”

“I can arrange that.”

Harry shook his head. “No, not here in the office. Somewhere more comfortable for her. Perhaps the Griffindor commons room, or her own room.”

“There's a no boys barrier on that door.”

Harry chuckled. “Nothing I can't handle. Anyways, I'm off to talk to her now. I want to get a detailed sketch of her attackers and any information she's able to give me.” He rose and smiled. “It's always a pleasure to see you Headmistress.”

“Oh Harry, how many times have I told you to call me Minerva?”

Harry shrugged. “Plenty of times. But I'll always see you as one of my most respected teachers.” He turned and left with a wave.

Sweetie Belle sat on the infirmary bed with Scootaloo and Applebloom.

“I can't believe that really happened.” She frowned as she did all she could to wipe away that annoying glitterdust. It there was still plenty stuck in her mane and tail, and her coat sort of sparkled a little here and there.

“I know. Why were they really after you?” Scootaloo asked as she lay curled up next to Applebloom.

“How am I supposed to know?” Sweetie Belle said as she tossed another glittery cloth into a small hamper filled with half a dozen more that had suffered the same fate. “But if it wasn't for the two of you, I'd be long gone by now.” She pulled the two fillies into a hug.

As they had their group hug, they became aware they were being watched. They all turned to see a stranger in black robes standing in the doorway.

“AAAAAAHHH!!!” Sweetie Belle screamed, and was joined by the other two.

The stranger wearing glasses and sporting a lightening bolt shaped scar looked confused and three fillies started panicking and randomly running around the infirmary.

Then they suddenly bolted past him and into the hall.

“Well, that's a new one...”

“Okay...” Harry blinked. “I was not expecting that reaction.” He turned to see the trio heading for the corner down the hall. He pulled out his wand and quickly cast a spell, the small ball of light flying fast and tagging the yellow coated pony in the tail. The spell seemed to vanish, but now he could track her wherever he went.

He started following their movements, careful to keep his distance. After about ten minutes, he noted that they'd stopped running. He tracked them to a classroom. He nudged the door open and stepped inside.

Almost instantly he felt a strange sensation wrap around him. A green glow with what looked like pretty deep blue motes or stars wrapped around him. He tried to cast a ward to block it, but it was too late.

The last thing he saw before his robes swallowed his head was the little white unicorn, her wand grasped in a green glow, and she was glaring at him.

“Oh bugger...”

He heard them rush past and out into the hall as he struggled with his robes. He'd been distracted long enough for them to escape. Turning to follow, the smirk on his lips vanished as he suddenly fell.

Harry caught himself with his hands on the floor before he could smack his face on the hard surface. He looked at his shoes and saw the laces had been tied together. “My, isn't she a resourceful one.” A flick of his wand undid the knot and retied his shoes properly. Another charm was cast to prevent any magic from effecting the laces again.

Getting to his feet, Harry followed the tracking spell once again.

This time he was lead to the girl's washroom. He sighed and knocked on the door. “Hello? Sweetie Belle? I'm a friend of Headmistress Mcgonnagals. My name is Harry Potter.”

...

No boy would dare enter a girl's washroom. It was a dangerous place for them after all.

Then came a soft knock at the door and the man spoke. “Hello? Sweetie Belle? I'm a friend of Headmistress Mcgonnagals. My name is Harry Potter.”

“H-Harry Potter?” Sweetie Belle had heard stories about Harry Potter. He was a hero. The boy who had defeated a being of such cruelty, evil and awesome power that had the entire wizarding world in fear for decades.

“Yes. I came from the Ministry of Magic to talk to you about what happened today. I'm sorry for startling you earlier.” He sounded sincere. Friendly even.

“It could be a trap.” Applebloom warned her friend, not having any idea who this Harry Potter was.

“And how does he keep finding us? I bet he cursed one of us or something.” Scootaloo added.

“I'll wait for you at the Griffindor commons room.” Harry's voice spoke through the door, then the sounds of footsteps moving away was heard.

Sweetie Belle wasn't really sure what to think. Why would the 'legendary' Harry Potter want to talk to her? All she really knew about him was that he'd attended Hogwarts years ago, and that he'd saved the whole world from the most evil and powerful being to be seen in centuries. “I-I think we can trust him. The Harry Potter I've heard about is supposed to be a good guy, and he was in the same House I'm in right now.”

Scootaloo sighed. “And how can you be sure that's really this Harry Potter you heard about?”

“He has a scar on his head shaped like a lightning bolt.”

The young Pegasus brightened up. Anyone with a lightening bolt had to be awesome. “Really? That sounds cool. Let's go meet him. What do you say Apple...”

“GHOST!!!” And there was the slamming of the washroom door hitting the wall as Applebloom ran screaming.

Myrtle giggled happily. “That never gets old.”

It only took Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo a few minutes to find their friend, and another few to calm her down and convince her to come back to the Griffindor's quarters.

“Are ya sure this Harry Potter is safe?” Applebloom still wasn't fully sure this was the right thing to do. “Maybe we should tell a teacher there's a stranger in the school.”

Sweetie Belle shook her head. “If he really is Harry Potter, he should have no trouble entering the Griffindor tower. Come on and let's go see him.” She took the lead and led her friends back to the place she called home for the time being.

As they entered, they found the room devoid of students, but that man from before was there, sitting in one of the chairs.

“Ah, welcome back.” He smiled. “Tea?” He gestured to a tray with four cups, a teapot, a bowl of sugar and a small container of cream.

Sweetie Belle hopped up onto the sofa and nodded. “Yes please.” She was then joined by Scootaloo and Applebloom, who also accepted cups of tea.

“So.” Harry started. “You seem to have had a little encounter with some rather unpleasant people today. I'd like you to tell me everything you can remember about them.”

Sweetie Belle tapped her chin with a hoof. “Well, the woman was tall and kinda skinny for a human. Taller than any other woman I've seen, but still shorter than Mr. Hagrid. The man was shorter than almost any other man I've seen, other than Prof Flitwick, but he was nowhere near that short. He was also kinda round.” She thought about their features. “They both had brown manes, I mean hair. I didn't pay attention to their eyes or any other features. I was a bit busy trying to get away from them.”

Applebloom held up her hoof. “They both smelled funny. Not unwashed, but funny.”

Scootaloo rolled her eyes. “They smelled like they drink booze. What? Berry Punch foalsat me a lot when I was younger and I got to know that smell. If it wasn't for Pinchy, I would have hated to go there.”

“Ok.” Harry smiled. “A tall and skinny woman and a short, possibly fat man, both with brown hair and seem to like to drink.” He jotted down the notes in a small note pad. “Did they try to cast any spells on any of you?”

Sweetie Belle shook her head. “I don't think so. They used some glitterdust. I've had experience with that stuff just last night, and it was not fun. The woman also tried to use a stick to throw what looked like webs at me, but it didn't look like a wand. It was too thick, and I never heard her say any words.”

Harry nodded again and added that to his notes. “So they have some simple, cheap magic items. Hmm, seen in Hogsmead, smelling of alcohol. They most likely frequent the tavern there. Thank you Sweetie Belle, Abpplebloom and Scootaloo.” Harry stood up. “I hope the next time we meet, those two will have been dealt with and we can sit down and get to know each other better.”

“I'd like that.” Sweetie Belle beamed a smile. “I've heard quite a bit about you.”

Harry chuckled. “Yea. I'm still trying to live down the fame for defeating Vold... uh, a really bad guy.”

“You mean Voldamort?” Sweetie Belle spoke up. “We learned about him in defense against the dark arts class.”

“Oh. I didn't know they taught about him now. Well, he's not around to cause trouble anymore, so you don't have to worry about it.”

Sweetie Belle nodded, then frowned. “So... he's gone, as in gone gone and not just imprisoned?”

Harry sighed. “Yea, he was killed...”

Applebloom and Scootaloo paled.

“Wait. You killed someone?” Applebloom looked horrified. “Couldn't you have just used the magic of friendship and turned him to stone or banished him to the moon or something like that?”

The young man blinked. “Turned to stone? Banished to the moon? There are no spells that can do things like that, at least not in this world. I take it there are such magics in yours?”

The three fillies all nodded.

Scootaloo bounced on the sofa, her wings buzzing. “Yea, This one bad pony, Nightmare Moon came back after a thousand years from her banishment of the moon, and the magic of friendship blasted her and got rid of all her evil and can you guess what happened next?”

Harry blinked. “What happened next?”

“She turned from Nightmare Moon back into Princess Luna, the younger sister of Princess Celestia.” Scootaloo finished. “She's really pretty.”

“I believe you.” Harry smiled oddly. “Well, that is most interesting, and I learned something new. But sadly, as much as I'd like to stay and talk, I have to look for the pair who tried to make off with you Sweetie Belle, and make sure they don't try it again.”

“You're not going to hurt them, are you?” Sweetie Belle had a concerned look on her face.

“What? No. If they're just muggles, they'll have their memories altered so they don't remember you at all. You'll be safe from them then.” Harry patted Sweetie's withers and headed for the door. “I'll try to let you know how things turn out.” He stepped out of the room and closed the door, leaving the trio of ponies alone.

“He seemed pretty nice.” Applebloom sipped at her tea, and was delighted to taste an apple spice tea. “Oh my, this is good.”

Sweetie Belle sipped at a nice vanilla tea while Scootaloo had orange peeko. Finally, as they finished, Sweetie Belle looked out the window and saw the sun was setting.

“It looks like it's time to open the portal so you can go home.” Sweetie Belle hugged Scootaloo, then Applebloom. “I hope you can both come see me again next Sunday.”

Applebloom returned the hug. “Me too. I'm really gonna miss ya Sweetie Belle.”

“Yea, it's not as much fun without you.” Scootaloo added. “Oh yea, about the cloud skimmer?”

Sweetie Belle giggled. “Ask Princess Twilight to send me the stuff to make a second one. I still have plenty of feathers, so that's ok. I just need the wood planks exactly like the last ones.”

Scootaloo nodded. “No problem. She'll be there when we return to Ponyville, so I can ask her right away. I can't wait to show Rainbow Dash my cutie mark and how I can fly with a Cloud Skimmer now.” She clopped her forehooves together.

All three headed into Sweetie Belle's room, and after a final round of hugs and nuzzles, the little Unicorn opened the mirror portal and watched her friends return home.

“I must admit,” Mcgonnagol spoke as she stood in the doorway, “it was a pleasant change of pace to have your friends come visit, despite the one incident in Hogsmead. You're not in trouble for that, so don't you worry. The passage will be sealed so it won't happen again.”

Sweetie Belle looked up at the Headmaster. “Why did they try to do that anyways? Ponynap me I mean.”

“Well, we don't really know why.” Minerva entered the room and stood by Sweetie Belle's desk. “All I do know is this. You are safe, and we'll be keeping an eye our for those two from now on.” She then knelt down to make it easier for Sweetie Belle to meet her eyes. “What I'd like to know is this. They used glitterdust on you today, and last night four of my students, that includes you, were also attacked. I get the feeling that they have an accomplice here in the school, and I feel that we're going to have to keep an eye on you to keep you safe from them.”

The filly sighed. “I guess... But why would anyone even want to ponynap me? I mean, I know about the horn and blood things, but I'm still young and my magic isn't really that impressive, say, compared to any adult Unicorn and it's nothing compared to any of the Princesses.”

Minerva didn't have the answer for that. “How about you get a good night's rest. I will look into this and try to find any clues I can.”

Sweetie Belle nodded and removed her school robes, folded them nearly and set them on the trunk at the foot of her bed. “Alright Headmistress. Thank you, and good night.”

Minerva gave Sweetie Belle a gentle pat before leaving, closing the door behind her.

As Minerva made her way back to the office, she wondered just who could it have been that has sent out those glitterdust letters. All four houses had victims after all. Sure, Slytherin was the most likely house to hold the culprit after all, but who was to say it wasn't actually a teacher? There were too many possible suspects. She knew she had to narrow down them down if she wanted to have any sort of chance to clear this mess up.

Monday morning.

Sweetie Belle was up, feeling a little tired from all the unexpected running around yesterday, but she was in good spirits. She'd met up with Zwei and Deuce for breakfast and were currently filling their bellies.

Sweetie Belle weirded her friends out as she devoured a cheese and veggie omelet with a side of what looked like hash browns, but they had what looked like hay mixed into it. In addition, she had a tall glass of milk she was drinking. Ok, it was the eggs that made them look at her oddly.

Deuce carefully scrutinized Sweetie Belle's food. “Why are you eating eggs? I thought you didn't eat stuff like that?”

“What do you mean?” Sweetie Belle said after sipping down some milk. “Do you mean my omelet?” She giggled. “Eggs and milk are used in all sorts of bread and baked goods. Of course we ponies eat eggs and drink milk as well. I really enjoy ice cream and milkshakes too, and my sister Rarity makes perfect fried eggs.”

“Huh.” Deuce blinked and looked at his oatmeal. “I should have asked for an omelet too. It looks great. But not those, what did you call them again?”

“Haysh Browns.”

Zwei giggled at that. “The only thing you're missing is some pony food version of bacon.”

“Eeew!” Sweetie Belle cringed. “No way am I gong to eat meat. Eggs and milk are fine because nopony or nobody was hurt. To kill something so you can eat it is just alien to most ponies... Though Pegasai are known to enjoy fish, especially the ones who live in cloud towns and cities over the seas. I have often wondered what fish tastes like. Scootaloo won't talk about it.” She huffed a little.

“Why don't you ask for a tuna sandwich to go with your lunch?” Deuce replied. “I mean, I've done a bit of reading, and did you know that equines are actually omnivores who have a preference for food they don't have to chase down to eat? I mean, there are many accounts of horses and ponies eating things like birds and mice.”

Sweetie Belle urped a little. “No way am I going to eat something that Fluttershy would consider one of her critter friends... Though she does feed the meat eating ones fish. How does she even catch those fish to begin with?” Sweetie Belle became more curious than before.

Deuce grinned. “So, you're gonna try that tuna sandwich for lunch?”

Sweetie Belle shook her head. “I don't know. I don't think so. I'll stick with what I'm familiar with.”

Zwei punched her brother's shoulder lightly. “Don't try to make her eat things she's not comfortable with, ok?”

“Like how I got you to try pudding and now you love it?” Deuce grinned.

Zwei punched Deuce again.

“Ouch. What?”

“No tuna for Sweetie Belle unless she asks for it on her own terms, ok?”

“Fine, fine.” Deuce rubbed his slightly aching shoulder.

With that, they made short work of their breakfast. Still, Sweetie Belle was curious about fish. She decided to write a letter and use her Jade candle to send it to Princess Twilight later on. She had to know more about why Pegasai liked fish.

Classes seemed to drag on slowly, with lots of note taking and reading, and yet no actual learning of spells.

Finally in Charms class, she was called up to the front of the class to talk about just how Unicorns were able to use their magic.

Taking all she'd learned from Princess Twilight, Rarity and from her spellbook she'd received from said Princess, she spoke at length and demonstrated with and without her wand.

She's noticed that with the wand, she could lift easily twice as much as without. She figured it had to do with Princess Luna's magic and some of her horn being in the wand.

Some of the students tried figuring out how to use this Magic from the Heart, and to the surprise of all, a few students were able to make their target feathers actually float, each wrapped in a visible aura of magic, and each in different colors. They still needed their wands as a focus, as they lacked horns, but it was a great breakthrough.

Even Prof. Flitwick was able to make a feather float with this magic. It felt so strange, but warm and comforting compared to the force of will and bending of arcane energies that wizarding magic required. Sure, the heart magic seemed not as strong, but he attributed that to a lack of familiarity with this new form of magic.

Zwei and Deuce were among those who were able to make their feathers float, and after a few minutes, Sweetie Belle came to an interesting conclusion. “Each of you who were able to make their feathers float, I noticed something. You're in this class with a friend or friends.”

This made the magic of friendship seem all the more real to the filly. “And those of you who couldn't don't have your friends here to back you up and encourage you.”

Flitwick beamed and stepped up next to Sweetie Belle. “Let us test this out. All of you who couldn't float a feather, try to make friends who can encourage you. I don't expect it to work instantly, but who knows.”

Those without friends in the class partnered up with others who were in the same situation, and even some joined the existing groups of friends. The rest of the class was spent chatting among themselves, getting to know each other and to everyone's surprise, a few who hit it off instantly were indeed able to use the magic from their hearts to float their feathers.

Sweetie Belle was pulled into a hug by Zwei and Deuce. “You'd make an awesome teacher, you know that?” She simply blushed in response.

This was a wonderful day indeed.

He sat and watched as his fellow students grouped together and 'made friends'. Phineas looked down at his feather, then at Sweetie Belle. He already knew a spell to make it float, so what was so great about her form of magic? It made no sense to him at all.

The girl who sat with him just chatted and talked away while he had hardly said anything. While she talked a lot, the boy heard little of anything she said. She was just annoying.

Class was not over soon enough for Phineas, and the moment it was, he got up and left.

“Lame. Magic of Friendship. What manner of garbage is that?” He muttered as he made his way back to the Slytherin Quarters down in the dungeons.

As he entered, he saw a few of his housemates displaying what they'd learned in charms class with their fellow Slytherins.

“Hey Phineas, isn't this cool? Look, I'm not even using a wand.” It was Fray talking, and she was making a whole book float, without a wand. The book was wrapped in a soft orange glow.

“Whatever.” He grumbled. (She's making a book float? I can't float a book that thick with my wand and a proper spell...) He thought to himself. (And Fray is doing it without a wand? What's her secret?)

He then looked at the group of seven Slytherin cheering her on. (Can making friends really make your magic stronger?) The boy spun and stormed out of the commons room. He didn't want to make friends with mudbloods or most of those who were barely purebloods. He wanted power, and friends were not in his plans.

Phineas Malphoy was starting to doubt himself now...

To Be Continued...

Author's Note:

PM mistakes to me, and I'll get to them asap.

My editor is too busy with work to help me out right now. I just hope I didn't mess up too much.

Next chapter... Nightmare Night?