• Published 24th Feb 2016
  • 6,879 Views, 979 Comments

Let Them Wonder - Onomonopia

  • ...
34
 979
 6,879

Kneel

For a brief moment, time seemed to stop as every one of the spectators that were terrified out of their minds took in the scene before them: A man in black armor had descended from the sky and created a crater in the middle of a soccer field, before blasting a structure made of metal to ash. And now he was standing in the center of the field with one hand at Rainbow Dash's throat, while he glared down each person in the stadium. And then the panic started.

Students started screaming in horror as they started to race for the exits, fleeing in fear that the being would incinerate them the same way he had the goal.

"SILENCE!" Zod roared with such fury that it felt like the entire planet shook beneath his might. Every living being that was within hearing distance of his shout went silent and stopped moving. All except for Diana, who glared at the being that stood amongst the destruction with a look of sheer wrath upon her face. Once every person had been silenced and Zod was certain that no one was trying to escape did he decide to continue speaking.

"Greetings, mortals. Do not fear me, for if I get what I have come for I swear that I shall leave you all in peace," Zod promised them before tightening his grip on Dash, getting her to scream in agony. "But I am not the one who will decide your fates. Instead, your lives will be decided by the hero known as Wonder Woman. Because I am here to kill her."

'No you're not, Zod. There's something more going on. You're after the girls,' Diana silently thought, wary of his super hearing.

"Wonder Woman! I know that you can hear me! I know that you would never stray far from these...special students!" Zod roared before tightening his grip further on Dash, squeezing tears out of her eyes as her body started to go limp. "So here is your ultimatum! For every minute that you do not reveal yourself, I shall kill one of these students...starting with this one in my grasp!"

The crowd gasped at this while Diana tightened her grip on the bleacher beneath her hard enough to tear the metal. "And none of you should bother trying to escape. For if I see any of you trying to leave, then I will start taking your lives. So the choice is yours, Wonder Woman! Hide in the darkness and let these students die...or face me and die yourself."

Diana seethed in place before glancing at the people around her. Everyone had a look of fear and terror upon their faces, except for the girls next to her, who were far more concerned with Dash's safety. Diana then locked eyes with Sunset, who gazed up at Diana with uncertain eyes.

"Sunset...hand me my lasso." Sunset didn't say a word while she did as Diana asked, unwrapping the lasso from around her midsection and handing it to Diana. Diana nodded to her before gripping the lasso hard as she started to walk towards Zod.

"Diana..." Sunset weakly got out. "Who is that?"

"I don't have time to tell you, but I promise that if I survive, I will tell you everything." Sunset's heart plummeted at Diana's words, but Diana had to ignore the fears of her student as she started to walk down the steps. It was hard enough for her to keep her own fears down at that moment.

"Come, Wonder Woman! Thirty seconds more...and I tear this one's head off," Zod promised as he glared at Dash with red eyes, eyes that made Dash practically sob in fear of the being. But even if he didn't have super hearing, in the silence of the stadium Zod would have still been able to hear the sound of heels on metal. Every eye in the stadium, including Zod's, turned towards the source of the noise...turned towards the single teacher that walked down onto the field.

With her enhanced vision, Diana watched as every person in the stadium mouthed her name, none of them able to predict what was about to happen next. All except for Zod, who sneered at the teacher as she walked onto the field and towards him. Diana stopped about twenty feet away from him, but even in her teacher's outfit all Zod had to do to confirm her identity was glance at the lasso in her hand.

"Release my student, Zod. And I promise that your death will be painless," Diana whispered in a voice that made lightning crackle overhead. Zod smirked at the display, but tossed Dash across the field anyway. Dash crashed into the grass at the edge of the soccer field, where her friends rushed down to help her.

"So this is where you have been hiding, Princess," Zod sneered at Diana, who said nothing in reply. "Why bother with your earthly attire? Show the world who you really are, so they can be all the more crushed when I kill-" Diana moved in a blur of motion and slammed her fist into Zod's face, snapping his head back as the force sent him tumbling across the field. The crowd gasped in shock and awe at the sudden burst of speed, none of them able to keep up with Diana's speed.

"Careful what you ask for, Zod," Diana said before she let her lasso crack, whipping it to its full length before twirling it around her. A pure light of golden power bathed the Amazon, while the magical nature of the lasso changed her attire. Her earthly attire was replaced with that of her Wonder Woman outfit, causing her to glow with light as the transformation ceased.

The crowd was dead silent as Diana clipped the lasso back to her hip before she unsheathed her sword and shield, taking up a fighting stance while Zod picked himself out of the dirt. He rubbed his thumb across his mouth before smirking as he floated back to his feet.

"You had better fight me with all of your might, Wonder Woman," Zod snarled as he floated towards Diana with his hands folded behind his back. "Because when you die, I will destroy this world and kill every living being in it."

"It seems that your time in the underworld hasn't changed you. You're still as self-centered and evil as ever," Wonder Woman spat. The area exploded as Zod rocketed forward with speed so blindingly fast that only Diana was able to keep up with it. She raised her shield just in time to intercept Zod's punch, but his superman-like strength sent the Wonder skidding back across the field.

Wonder Woman let out a cry of fury as she lunged back across the field, stabbing at Zod's chest with her sword when she was within range. Zod dodged the blow and retaliated with a backhand that Diana blocked with her shield once more. Yet the impact still staggered her, giving Zod a chance to drive his boot into her side and send her flying.

Diana was rocketed through the goal at the end of the field and only came to a stop when she dug her sword into the dirt to slow her speed. She glared up in time to see blasts of heat lance from Zod's eyes, forcing her to cross her arms to deflect the blast with her bracelets. She angled the blast straight up so she didn't risk hitting any of the students, but in doing so she left herself open.

"Fool," Zod said as he appeared behind her, driving his elbow into her spine. Wonder Woman roared with pain as she stumbled forward, only to feel Zod wrap a hand around her leg before he swung her over his head. She was slammed back first into the ground, with the impact nearly causing her to black out. Zod hurled himself into the sky before plummeting back down with both fists extended. Diana regained her senses in time to roll to the side, but she was still caught by the shockwave of Zod slamming into the ground. As the shockwave hurled her through the air, she managed to regain her balance by using her power of flight. Then Zod rocketed up and slammed his shoulder into her chest.

"You cannot defeat me, woman," Zod told Diana as he threw rapid lefts and rights that Wonder Woman could barely keep up with, let alone deflect. After a few moments of keeping Wonder Woman focused on the punches, Zod then brought his knee right into Diana's stomach. Wonder Woman doubled over from the force of the blow before Zod sent her hurtling into the ground with an elbow to the back of the head.

Diana slammed her feet into the ground to stop her descent before hurling herself back into the air after Zod, catching him off guard with her sudden recovery. She slammed her skull into his nose and snapped his head back once again, giving her an opening to swing with her blade. The moment before her blade cleaved through Zod, the kryptonian unleashed a blast of air from his lungs that was equivalent to a hurricane. Diana was blown out of the air by the force of the gale, leaving her open to a blow to the side of the head that sent her flying into the ground.

"You are strong, Wonder Woman, but you are not on par with me," Zod taunted as he lunged at Diana, who picked herself up just in time to duck under Zod's strike. She retaliated with three blows to Zod's stomach before cracking him in the jaw with her palm. Despite those blows being able to fell skyscrapers, all Zod did was smile before slamming his elbow into Wonder Woman's jaw to send her spinning.

"I am the equal to the strongest being in your world. I possess the same powers as him, but with a far greater intellect," Zod reminded Wonder Woman as he grabbed her by her head and drove his knee into her stomach. Diana coughed up blood before dropping to one knee, causing Zod to smile as he glared down at her. "Close, but I know you can do better," Zod said as his eyes began to glow red, lifting a boot over her head. "Now before I kill you, I want you to kneel!"

Zod slammed his foot down towards Diana, but in a flash of motion she lifted her blade and drove the tip of it clean through Zod's foot. Zod howled in more surprise than pain before Wonder Woman was back on her feet, slashing through Zod's armor and drawing blood as her blade ripped apart the flesh on his chest. She spun and prepared to unleash another strike, but before she could Zod slammed his hands together to create a shockwave that blasted her back.

"How...?" he muttered as he placed his hand to his chest and brought it back to see blood gleaming on his hand. "How could you possibly hurt me? I am Zod! I do not-" Wonder Woman silenced Zod by letting her shield fly right into his face, leaving him open to a knee from Diana that cracked the general's nose. Zod roared with pain before Diana slammed her boots into his chest, driving him into the ground with enough force to shatter the surrounding area.

"You said it yourself, Zod," Wonder Woman growled as she grabbed Zod by his throat and slowly pulled him out of the crater she had made with his body. "You have all of Superman's powers...along with his weaknesses. What's the matter, never felt the sting of magic before?"

Zod snarled before letting twin beams of heat strike Diana in the face. Diana roared in pain as she staggered backwards, trying to regain her sight. Zod took advantage of the situation and hurled another punch into Diana's chest. The entire stadium could hear the sounds of Diana's bones breaking from the blow, before she was sent hurtling up into the sky. With a force of effort and will, Wonder Woman ceased her momentum, roaring in both pain and fury as she hurled herself back into battle.

Zod dodged her sword strike and slammed his hand into her wrist, causing Diana to drop her sword. He then swung at her with all of his might, while Diana brought up her shield to defend herself. But even Amazonian-crafted weaponry couldn't stand up to the overwhelming strength of a superman, and Diana's shield shattered into shards from the impact of Zod's fist. Wonder Woman dug her heels into the ground to keep herself from being rocketed back.

Both parties assessed the other as they began to circle each other, neither wanting to make the first move that might put them in danger. Then Zod smirked before he turned towards the crowd and fired out a beam of heat vision right at the spot where Sunset and her friends were sitting. The girls had just enough time to register the beam of light before Diana was in front of them, using her bracelets to deflect the heat vision away from them.

But even though she succeeded in saving Sunset and the others, in doing so she played right into Zod's hands. With his super speed Zod appeared behind Diana and drove his fists into her back, sending her crashing down into the dirt. Diana growled in pain as she pulled herself out of the ground, but when she glanced up at Zod all she saw was his boot as it slammed into her face.

Zod grabbed the Amazon with both hands and pulled her out of the ground, lifting her over his head before slamming her into the ground once more. Wonder Woman weakly snarled as she struggled to push herself out of the dirt, but her process was halted when Zod placed his boot upon her chest.

"Burn," Zod whispered before unleashing his heat vision upon her. Even though she was pinned, Wonder Woman mustered enough strength to move her chest out of the way of the blast. Instead of burning through her heart, the piercing heat beams instead lanced through her left shoulder, getting Wonder Woman to roar in pain. "Does it hurt, Wonder Woman? Good. Because I want you to know that the pain you feel right now is what I shall inflict on everything within this world and the world of Superman. This pain is only the beginning!"

Zod ceased his heat vision before reaching down with blinding speeds, grabbing Diana by the face. He pulled her head up before driving the back of her skull into the ground. He repeated the process twice more before he completely pulled her out of the earth, holding her up by her face before he began to squeeze. Diana clawed at Zod's hand as she felt his fingers start to crush her skull, but her power couldn't break his grip of steel.

"Now you die, Wonder Woman. And as you die, I want you to know that you are only the first," Zod promised Diana. "Soon, your precious League will join you in the underworld, where Hades will force you to suffer for the rest of eternity. So watch, Wonder Woman, watch as I-GRAH!"

Wonder Woman felt the pressure alleviate itself from her skull as something distracted Zod. Knowing that might be the only chance she got, Diana kicked out with both legs for all she was worth and caught Zod in the chin. The blow was strong enough to completely break his grasp, but even as Diana fell to the ground Zod snarled before striking Diana in the side of the head.

"Who dares to interfere?" Zod asked in a whisper as he turned around to see who had struck him. But to his bafflement, and Diana's utter horror, they both found a girl with red hair holding Diana's magic sword, which now had even more of Zod's blood upon it. "And just what do you think you're doing?" Zod asked in a tone that could have scared the gods.

"W-what Diana would do for me. S-stopping you," Sunset barely managed to choke out.

"You would take me on for her?" Zod asked before swatting the blade out of Sunset's hand, grabbing her by the throat. Wonder Woman roared as she lunged up at Zod, but the attack had been anticipated by him and he drove his boot into her face. He slammed her face into the ground and kept her pinned there with his power, before turning his full attention to the girl that was struggling in his grasp. He looked from the student to the struggling teacher, a smile spreading across his face as he did so.

"You wish so much to be like her?" Zod asked Sunset as his eyes glowed red, aiming right at Sunset's face. "Then you can die like her."