• Published 24th Feb 2016
  • 6,872 Views, 979 Comments

Let Them Wonder - Onomonopia

  • ...
34
 979
 6,872

The Rules

"Have a good rest of your day. Try to relax and get some rest," Diana said with a smile while her students each passed by her, each of them groaning when they handed a piece of paper to her as they went by. Diana spared a glance down at one of the student's papers and shook her head with a small sigh. "Come on now, the questions were hardly that difficult."

"They were actually pretty easy, Diana," Twilight Sparkle agreed with an energetic smile as she handed her paper to Diana, who took a quick glance over it before handing it back to Twilight. Twilight's eyes shrunk when she took her paper with fear in her eyes. "One hundred percent, Twilight. Impressive."

Twilight's face lit up like the sun as a smile spread across her face, but then a few of the students behind her muttered something about her being a kiss-up. The smile fell from Twilight's face and her head lowered slightly, but all Diana did was motion for those three students to hand their tests to her.

"Hmm...seems that the three of you should have studied harder. This isn't how you want to start the semester," Diana informed the three, who had looks of rage only for a moment before they caught their teacher's eye and gazed down at the floor. She placed their tests with the rest of the papers, pulling them all together and straightening them out. "Well, that week went by quickly. This teaching isn't as hard as I thought it would be."

'That is because I have been there to correct you on some decisions that would have been foolish for a teacher to make,' Athena reminded Diana from her perch, getting the Amazon to smile over at the owl. 'But there is a lack of wisdom in this room that I haven't seen since the rise of the Romans. It is amazing some of these students have the brain power to function, let alone answer questions for a test.'

"Athena, do you think I sprung the test on them too early in the year? They did just get back from summer break," Diana asked the owl, who scoffed at her suggestion.

'I say the more tests, the better. These students need to use their brains far more if these answers are all the intellect they can muster,' the owl said before hopping onto the tests, scowling down at most of them. 'Twilight seems to be the only one with any wisdom. The rest are...ugh.'

'And speaking of rest,' Diana thought to herself as she gazed at the last student in the room, who sat in one of the back desks while propped up on her hand to keep herself from falling over. 'Sunset is the last one to finish her test, but given the state she is in, I'm more surprised that she managed to stay awake.' Sunset stifled a yawn before she began to write upon her paper once more. The bell that signaled the end of the day rang once more, but it wasn't until much later that she finally rose from her seat and staggered to the front of the room.

"I'm...sorry that I took so long," Sunset apologized in-between yawns, handing her paper to Diana who was already beginning to fear the worst as she glanced down at Sunset's paper. She raised an eyebrow as she scanned over the answers before nodding to the half asleep girl.

"You should go home and get some sleep for the day, Sunset. You look like you could use it." Sunset nodded sleepily and walked out of the room, banging into a wall a few times before finally managing to make it to the door. Athena let out a hoot as she hopped up onto Diana's shoulder, gazing over the last student's test.

'By the power of Zeus...'

"Indeed. Quite impressive, isn't it?" Diana asked Athena, both of whom were looking at another nearly flawless test. "And look at that, the only question she got wrong was one that she corrected me on. Apparently, I made an error in the description of one of the warriors."

'How does the daughter of an amazon queen that serves the gods manage to make an error on a test?' Athena asked the Princess, who compiled the papers and tucked them into a bag she had bought a few days prior. 'Perhaps you should be in those seats and being taught?'

"Because I made the error on purpose. I wanted not only to see which students knew the answers, but also which were really paying attention," Diana informed the owl as she exited the room, locking it behind her before heading towards the teachers' lounge. "Like I said at the beginning of the week, I will test the students in different ways. This was the first one."

'Clever. I like that,' Athena agreed as the owl sat comfortably on Diana's shoulder. 'Yet, it amazes me that the student that seems to get no sleep was the one that caught the error.'

"Yes. It amazes me as well." After yelling at a pair of students that were running through the halls and helping a student open their locker, Diana finally reached the teachers' lounge, remembering the note that Celestia had sent out about some of the newer teachers meeting there at the end of every week. She opened the door to see that she was the last teacher to arrive, meaning she was the one that got everyone's stare.

"Sorry. A student took longer on a test than I thought they would," Diana explained as she slipped into the room.

"A test on the first week? You're cruel, Diana?" a teacher that went by the name of Discord said to her with a toothy grin.

"Bah, the students here are all too soft. I say give them harder tests, that will make them learn," a teacher with black hair named Sombra snarled while crossing his arms.

"Yes, thank you for that suggestion, Sombra. It is the same suggestion that you make every year," Luna muttered under her breath from the front of the room, sitting next to her sister. Celestia rose from her seat and cleared her throat, causing the chattering amongst the teachers that were there to stop.

"Thank you all for coming. Since most of you here are new, and since Sombra needs to be constantly reminded, there are a few...school specific rules and policies that I figured that you should know about," Celestia said as she pulled out a small list. "The first is that we still do not allow pets or animals of any kind in the school, unless it is a class pet. We've noticed a few more mice running around and I'm not happy about it. Diana, keep an eye on Fluttershy. She seems to be a magnet for the little critters. Athena is considered a class pet, by the way."

"If you just let me set up traps-"

"No Sombra, I'm not letting you set up traps of any kind," Luna cut the man off, getting a snarl out of him as he again crossed his arms.

"The second rule is that students here tend to...sing when they really get in the mood," Celestia continued, making Diana raise an eyebrow in amusement as the other teachers chuckled at the news. "So, if a student or even a whole class breaks out into song, just go with it. I learned it's better to not question it." Diana was just as baffled at this as the other new teachers, while Sombra simply muttered under his breath about what he would do if he was in charge.

"The final rule is...strange things sometimes happen at this school. Strange things that many attribute to...magic." Both Diana's and Athena's ears perked up at this and they focused with far more intensity than they had before. "Now while we haven't...confirmed what the real cause of these occurrences are, you don't need to worry about any of them. They are under control."

"She's lying," Diana whispered to Athena, who nodded her head in agreement. "I don't need the lasso to know that. But if that's the case, does that mean that magic is out of control at this school?" Athena didn't get the chance to answer as Celestia chose that moment to dismiss the teachers, who all filed out of the door.

"Well, that went better than last semester," Celestia whispered to Luna, never knowing that Diana was listening in on them. "But we need to do something about the...magic and soon. Has Sunset said anything to you about it?"

"No, but with the state she's been in, I'm amazed she's still making it to school," Luna whispered back. "I've talked to her friends and they're just as concerned as we are, but Sunset has said nothing to them about it. I'll ask again later." Diana had heard all she needed to and by the time the sisters finished talking, they were the only ones left in the room.

<W>

The moon was almost halfway across its journey through the sky when Diana opened the door to her apartment room, the only one that she found she could tolerate. The insides of the room were plain and basic, with white walls and only a few items of furniture that took up any space at all. Diana paid that no mind as she slid her lasso out from under her jacket and twirled it around her once, returning her outfit to its true form while she slammed the door behind her and walked to the table. She dumped the groceries she had bought across the table, not caring in the least about how much she had paid for them.

"He even set me up a bank account...Well, the first week here has passed and all we have learned so far is that there is a magic problem at the school and that the students don't seem to study as they should," Diana recapped as Athena landed on the plain table with a hoot. Diana sat down in the sole chair in the room and pulled the papers out of her bag, sighing as she glanced over them.

Deciding to get it out of the way, she grabbed a pen and began to grade the papers at an incredible pace with her super speed. Within a matter of moments she had graded not only the papers for her last class, but every other class she had given them to.

'Seems you have a lot of work to do. Only a few of the students managed to pass with an acceptable grade,' Athena said with a shake of her head. 'And you constantly wonder why your Justice League has to save the world. Well, it is because the people of the world seem to be idiots.'

"Thank you for reminding me; would you mind going to visit Batman or one of the Leaguers and telling them that I'm away on mission? I seem to have forgotten in my desire to remove Hades' head from his neck," Diana asked Athena, who nodded her head before she sat motionless on the table. Diana figured that meant she had returned to her true, godly form back on her earth and wouldn't be back for a while. She rose and walked over to the window, moving back the curtain to glance out at the world beyond.

'Well, there are not any wars here currently. That says something for it,' Diana noted with interest before smiling as she gazed around her humble abode. 'How long has it been since I lived like a regular mortal, a regular member of society? Either I've been dealing with League threats, battling the pantheon of gods or been off-world. Haven't had much time to live like a regular person.'

Then Diana's attention was drawn away from her thoughts and back to the window. Her eyes narrowed when she felt something...off in the distance, something that made her open the window before hurling herself through it. In a moment Diana had taken to the sky, soaring through the night sky like a missile heading for a target. She came to a dead stop above a long row of houses, searching left and right for what had drawn her out of her home.

The moment she had arrived the ominous feeling that she had faded away, and after a few moments she didn't feel anything at all. Diana's eyes narrowed as she gazed down at the row of houses below her, knowing that whatever had brought her there had been coming from within. Yet with no clear idea where the source of distress had come from, she found she had no choice but to turn around and fly towards her apartment once again.

Yet as she flew over the school, she found that she couldn't help but stop above it, gazing down and remembering what Celestia had said about the magic being out of control. 'I should take a look around,' she decided while she floated down towards the statue in the front, keeping an eye out for where the security cameras were, only to find that there were hardly any. 'And see if I can find where some of this magic may be hiding.'

Upon noticing that none of the cameras were aimed at the statue, Diana landed next to the massive, marble statue of a stallion. She pressed her hand up against the statue as she felt...something course through her skin, a magic that she had never felt before. But despite pressing a little harder, the magic didn't reveal itself to her and she feared that any harder would shatter the statue. After leaving the statue and taking to the sky, she found herself being pulled to the back of the school where she found...

"A dirt bike course?" she asked with confusion when she landed amongst the tracks, yet her attention was swiftly drawn away from the course and instead to the air around it. Diana's eyes narrowed as she felt the same, strange magic that she had felt by the statue once more. While she was looking around, a small tear in the air next to her appeared and a small vortex of magic appeared. She gazed at it with curiosity, wondering if she should get closer when a small creature emerged from within.

"What in the name of Hera...?" Diana muttered as a tiny insect floated up to her. It was a ball of blue with large, green eyes and little wings. The creature floated up to Diana with a smile on its face, but when it got too close it let out a small yelp and flew back into the vortex. Diana's face hardened as the vortex shut behind it, having traveled to enough other worlds to know a portal to one when she saw it.

'So creatures from other lands are showing up in this world...by magic, if what my senses are telling me is correct,' Diana pieced together as she launched herself into the sky once more, heading back to her home. 'That part of Celestia's story is true. But what does Sunset and her friends have to do with it? And why did Hades want me here bad enough that he was willing to kill Steve to get me here? All I can do is play along and hope the answers reveal themselves soon.'

Diana then flew back in through her window to find that Athena was gone, while the location of the moon informed her that she should get some sleep. 'But at least now I have a plan of action. I need to speak with Sunset and her friends and maybe they can help me find out what is going on.'