• Published 24th Feb 2016
  • 6,879 Views, 979 Comments

Let Them Wonder - Onomonopia

  • ...
34
 979
 6,879

Nightmares

A knock at the door drew Diana's attention from all of the new paperwork that had been dropped off at her desk, and to who had disturbed her. A smile creased her face when Sunset opened the door and entered into the teacher's room. Diana motioned for her to sit and placed the papers to the side as Sunset sat across the desk from her.

"Hello, Sunset. Is there something I can help you with?" Diana asked. Sunset's response was to glance up at the clock before glancing around at the empty room.

"It's time for class. But I'm the only student that's coming, aren't I?" Sunset asked Diana, who smiled with good humor in reply.

"I do not blame them for not showing up. Most people, when finding out that their teacher is a goddess, would not take the news well," Diana said with a shrug. "Give them time and I'm sure that some of them will...make peace with the fact. Speaking of the students, how are your friends doing? No attacks in the past week, I hope."

"No. So far if Hades has tried anything, we haven't seen any of it," Sunset explained, but her face showed that there was indeed news to tell. "But that doesn't mean they're doing well. Twilight, aside from me, is the only one of us that isn't too upset with your reveal. The others...Rarity and Fluttershy...don't know what to think. Applejack is often lost in thought. Pinkie...is Pinkie. And Dash still has a look of terror on her face any time any of us mention you or Zod. I think she's been traumatized."

"Zod nearly killed her. If I were her, I'd be afraid too," Diana said. "But I am glad that you are all safe. Have you heard any news from the Twilight of the other world on the speed of the barrier?"

"Yes. She says that it is almost finished. Once she has the spell finished, she'll send me instructions on how to perform it and then the girls and I will cast it," Sunset said with a smile. "And then none of us will have to worry about Hades ever again."

"Indeed. And once you are all safe, I'll storm the underworld myself and make him regret ever having dared to attack the seven of you," Diana promised Sunset, but she caught a look that had quickly spread across Sunset's face. "You do not wish for me to leave, do you?"

"No, it's just that...I know that you're needed on your home world. After finding out that you're a goddess, you're absence has probably thrown some things there out of whack," Sunset explained before her face fell and she glanced to the side. "But I am going to miss you. Miss our training sessions or just...hanging out and talking. You're my teacher...and I'd like to think that you're my friend."

"Of course we are friends, Sunset. And you are still my prized pupil," Diana said as she rose and walked over to Sunset, placing a hand on her shoulder while giving the girl a confident smile. "You have learned much from me and have shown yourself to be incredibly skilled. I have no doubt that you will do a fine job keeping this world safe, even after I have left it."

"If you believe in me that much, then I'm certain that there is nothing that I can't do...just don't ask me to go winning any obstacle races," Sunset joked, getting a smile out of Diana before glancing across her desk and seeing a sheet of paper that made her eyes widen. "You're going to be stop being a teacher?"

"Yes, Sunset. I told you, that once the barrier is complete you will no longer-"

"But the barrier spell won't be complete for at least another week! But that resignation is for today!" Sunset argued as she shot to her feet. "You still have another week to teach us, to impart some of your knowledge upon us and-"

"Sunset." Diana's tone silenced any further argument, but Sunset did glare to the side as she glanced at the floor. "Sometimes I think it was a mistake for me to take on the roll of a teacher here. How many of you have I put in danger because I brought Hades' forces here? The battle with Zod, and his desire to hurt all of you...perhaps I should have kept my distance and simply helped from the sidelines. You would all be safer that way."

"No, I wouldn't be safer! I would be dead!" Sunset screamed at Diana, who was taken aback by the sudden outburst of emotion. "You remember what I was like when you first showed up! If you hadn't been here, hadn't helped me when you did, then that nightmare would have been the death of me! One way or another!"

"And then there's all the students that you helped as well! Dash has never had her grades that high until you gave her a kick in the pants! And if you hadn't taught me how to fight, that skull knight would have dragged me to the depths of the underworld and there would have been nothing that I could do! You have helped us so many times, but now you just want to quit?!" Sunset bellowed. She glared at Diana for a few moments afterwards, before the cool gaze of Diana was enough to bring her back to her senses.

"I'm sorry, I just...I don't know what came over me," she apologized before shaking her head and walking towards the door. "I guess...that I'm not ready to say goodbye to you. Not yet." Diana's face softened as she walked over to the girl, gently wrapping her arms around Sunset and pulling her into a hug.

"I will not be gone forever, Sunset. And even with the barrier up, I still will be able to visit," Diana promised the girl. "And even if I cannot, perhaps you can visit me. I can introduce you to my friends and allies, perhaps even the other gods, provided they're in a good mood and Zeus is as far away from you as possible. It is not goodbye, though. It's just farewell until next time."

"Yeah...you're right," Sunset agreed as she broke free of Diana's grip. "It's been nice, though. Being a student once again. And I don't mean like a school student, I-"

"I know what you mean," Diana said before walking to her desk and taking her resignation off of it. "And I have truly enjoyed having you as my student. You have given me faith that there are those out there who will listen to knowledge and reason, instead of just force. There are too many of those kind of people in both worlds."

"Yeah...come on, I want to go with you when you turn it in," Sunset said. Diana nodded and the two left the room to head for the principal's office. Neither of them spoke along the way, for Diana was too busy thinking about what Hades' next move might be, while all Sunset could think about was what life would be like without her teacher to guide her. But the two hadn't even made it past the front entrance before Diana was immediately on guard.

"This is...bizarre," she said in an concerned tone as she glanced around. "Even though no students showed up for my class...for the whole school to be completely empty...something is very wrong!"

"Indeed it is you fool. Come to the back of the school," a voice said from all around them at once, a voice that Sunset and Diana knew all too well. "There you will find your precious students and faculty. And you will also find your graves."

"Diana...that's the nightmare," Sunset said in a horrified whisper, and from the expression on Diana's face she knew it as well. Diana let her lasso crack before circling it around her, transforming her into the Spirit of Truth. She grabbed hold of Sunset and rocketed out of the school, circling around to the back where both she and Sunset were stunned by what they saw.

The entire student body and the teachers were all trapped within crystal-like spheres, spheres that floated in the sky like shining balloons. But the two's attention was quickly drawn away from the trapped people to the cloaked being that stared up at them from the center of the track course, motioning for them to join him.

"When we land, stay behind me. Let me deal with him," Wonder Woman instructed Sunset as she started her descent. The pair landed and Wonder Woman released Sunset, handing her sword to the girl before she advanced upon the nightmare. "So you're back, are you? I see that the hole I punched through your chest has healed nicely."

"Indeed, you did manage to gain an advantageous position over me the last time we...conflicted," the nightmare agreed before glancing around at all of the trapped people. "But now you are under my control. My will. And if you do not do as I say, then I will bring about the deaths of all those around you. I'd prefer not to, as there is only one...two beings here that I want dead. And that is the both of you."

"Doubtful. How did you manage to get the drop on me?" Diana demanded. "I was with Sunset and Athena was watching over the others. How did you-?

"How indeed?" the being asked before it held out its hand, revealing a bloodied owl that had been ripped to pieces. "A god this creature is not. And do not worry, you shall both be joining it soon."

"Hate to break it to you, but neither of us are dying today," Wonder Woman snarled as she walked towards the nightmare. "But before I tear your head off of your body, I'm going to give you a chance. You tell me what you are and what you're doing, what you're really doing, and perhaps I won't send you to Hades."

"As if that fool could contain one such as myself. But seeing as you will soon be dead, I do not see any disadvantage to increasing what little knowledge you have," the nightmare sneered beneath its hood. "I have no name. Some call me god. Some call me architect. The annoying silver one calls me Maestro. All of them are accurate. As for my purpose...it is as I said. I wish to see what would happen. If a person died in a world. If a person lived. If they never existed at all."

"Have you seen what your world would have been like if Superman had never arrived on Earth? If he had been sucked into a black hole? It is truly fascinating. In some versions all of you die to the forces of evil. In others you become the very evil that you swore to fight. In one Shazam took on the mantel of Superman. And it was just as if Superman never appeared. Now imagine all the other heroes and villains. Yes, I have seen many different ways your world could have played out. Along with uncountable others."

"And you're the reason for each of those changes, aren't you?" Wonder Woman growled. "You sent Superman into the black hole. You probably influenced the world so that we would become villains. How many did you kill just to see what would happen?"

"I stopped counting eons ago," the Maestro answered. "And no, I do not interfere all the time. Only when I must see how an outcome would be arrived at. Such as what would happen to this world...if Sunset had died." As he said this he turned his cloaked head towards Sunset, who pointed her blade at his chest. "But you have ruined my dream. This world has been far too altered by your arrival. Now I will have to wait until another world like this one appears. And then I shall kill that Sunset."

"Like hell you will!" Wonder Woman roared as she clashed her bracelets together, sending lightning crackling between them. She then drew two blades made of the living lightning from her bracelets, swinging them each before she started to advance upon the Maestro. "You will never harm another living being again. Because today I'm bringing you down."

"Will you now? I will love to see try. Struggle. Fail." Wonder Woman let out a roar as she lunged forward, plunging one of her blades into the Maestro's chest. Annoyance flashed across her face when her foe phased out of reality, appearing behind her a second later. He fired a blast of his shattered energy at her, which she managed to deflect in time with her bracelets.

"You cannot win this fight, Wonder Woman," the Maestro informed her as he crossed his arms. Wonder Woman responded by swinging her swords at his head, which he ducked under to avoid being decapitated. "I have already won. I am simply allowing you to think that you have a chance of beating me before crushing your hopes."

"Really? Because all you're doing is dodging!" Wonder Woman roared as the Maestro teleported away again. But this time Diana was ready for him. She spun around and stuck out her leg, catching the Maestro right on the jaw when he phased back into reality. His head was snapped back by the force of the kick and was sent spiraling into the dirt. Wonder Woman was upon him in an instant and grabbed him by his coat before hoisting him up.

"And just like that the battle is over," Wonder Woman said in a tone like ice before bringing her sword back. "Now then, you would like a chance to pray before I-"

"GRAH!" The second she heard the cry of pain Wonder Woman spun around and glanced up at one of the crystal bubbles, which had constricted around one of the students to the point where it was crushing them.

"Stop your magic, monster!" Diana roared as she turned her attention back to the Maestro.

"What do you think I have been doing?" A look of confusion crossed Diana's face, but after a moment it was Sunset who let out a gasp.

"No...you don't mean..."

"Yes I do. This "magic" as you call it, is constantly trying to crush those within the spheres. The only thing stopping them from doing so is my power," the Maestro informed Wonder Woman, who gazed down at the being with horror. "So kill me. Destroy me. End me. If you do, there will be no one who can stop those within from being crushed."

Wonder Woman sneered before she punched the Maestro to the ground. She then launched herself to the sky, driving her blade into the side of one of the spheres. But to her amazement the sword failed to even scratch the surface of the sphere.

"Did you think that because you could hurt this form that you could destroy my power? This form is weak. My power is unlimited. Now come back down here, before I decide to kill all of them." With no other current options, Diana descended down towards the Maestro, knowing full well that he was smiling under his hood. "Now, I could force you to stand still and simply be killed by me, but I have thought of something more fair. Even. Cruel."

"Out with it, you bastard," Wonder Woman spat.

"I am going to have you fight a foe. A battle that will decide the fate of all those who are within these spheres," the Maestro explained. "Do not worry for their safety, because win or lose I will free them. I do not want them dead. But know that the only way this battle ends is when either you or your foe is dead."

"Are you trying to use my nobler side against me? Bring on your monsters or forces of evil, I will defeat them all," Wonder Woman said before pointing her blade at Maestro.

"You are willing to kill them? Good. Now then, allow me to introduce your opponent." The Maestro then stepped off to the side, revealing the person that had been standing behind him. She had red and yellow hair, wore a black leather jacket and was holding Diana's sword in her grasp.

"No..." Wonder Woman whispered as both her and Sunset's eyes widened, a soul chilling water pouring into their souls as they realized what the Maestro had done. "You..."

"Yes, I do. For the only way for you to save these precious students of yours is if you fight your student in combat. In battle. To the death."