• Published 24th Feb 2016
  • 6,879 Views, 979 Comments

Let Them Wonder - Onomonopia

  • ...
34
 979
 6,879

First Day

Excited murmurs filled the classroom when the bell for the final class before the end of the day rang its warning, with nearly every seat filled as most of the students prepared for their last subject of the school day. Some were excited to meet the new teachers, others talked about how their first day of school had gone, and the rest just wanted to go home.

"I'm so excited. I was talking to the principal and apparently our new teacher studied abroad in Greece!" Twilight said as she pushed her glasses back up, imagining what it would be like to spend a semester in Greece. Fluttershy was barely paying her friend any attention, for all she saw was the white owl that was resting upon a perch on the side of the teacher's desk.

Just as the final bell rang, the door to the classroom opened and the teacher came walking in. Every conversation stopped while every eye was drawn to her. Most of the students didn't know what to think of her at first, and those that were still capable of cognitive thought were amazed. The teacher was beautiful, but she also had an aura of power that radiated from her.

"Good afternoon, students," Diana greeted the class as she walked in front of her desk, leaning against it as she took in all the amazed expressions that gazed at her. She glanced over each of her students in return, seeing the looks in their eyes. Most were in awe. Some looked bored. And one set of eyes looked to be on the verge of passing out. "And welcome to my history class. I'll be your teacher for this semester. Call me Diana. No Ms."

Some of the students began to murmur to themselves while Diana picked up a list from her desk and glanced over it, her eyes checking each name before a smile crossed her face once again. "Now I know all of you have just returned from break, so I won't be too hard on you this first day. So we'll be doing something fun."

"A test?" Twilight exclaimed before she realized what she had said and started to slink under her desk from the looks she was getting. A smile crossed Diana's face at Twilight's response, and she placed her list down so that she could focus her full attention on the student.

"No, but that is an excellent idea for later. Actually, what I had planned was that we would get to know more about each other. So I'd like each of you to tell me your name and a little bit about yourself. And since you were so kind to volunteer..." Diana said with a nod to Twilight, who emerged from beneath the mahogany desk to smile awkwardly at the other students.

"H-hi everyone. I'm Twilight Sparkle," Twilight nervously introduced herself, shrinking slightly under the gaze of every student. "I'm new here, transferred from...well, most of you already know that. Um, I love to study, I love books and...that's it." Twilight sat back down with her face red, making Diana consider changing her approach.

"Thank you, Twilight. I've always appreciated being around those who have a desire to learn," Diana said with a smile before glancing around the room. "Now then, do we have any other volunteers or do I have to start calling out names?"

"I'll go." Diana raised an eyebrow at the fact that the class let out a small gasp when the girl with the pink hair slowly rose out of her seat, smiling with an even more nervous expression than the one Twilight wore. "I'm...Fluttershy," she squeaked in a voice that only Diana could hear. "I like animals...and quiet."

"Fluttershy," Diana repeated so that the girl wouldn't have to. "And you say you like animals, do you?"

"Oh yes, I love them. I especially love that owl you have there," Fluttershy said in a louder voice that everyone could hear. Her eyes practically lit up as she stared at the owl, who cracked an eye open at being mentioned. "Do you mind if I...pet it?" Diana motioned for Fluttershy to do so, moving to the side so that she could get right next to Athena. The owl raised an eyebrow at the girl, but as Fluttershy gently began to run her fingers across its head it settled down once more.

"She's just lovely. What's her name?"

"Her name is Athena. Extra credit for whoever can tell me why you would name an owl that." Diana smiled when the only hand that went up in the room was Twilight's. But then the girl saw the looks she was getting and slowly started to lower it once more. "Don't be intimidated Twilight, I'm not judging you. Please, tell me why."

"Because, well, owls, or rather, baby owls, were seen as the symbol of Athena, the goddess of intelligence," Twilight stated with such confidence that even Diana was impressed. But then a student snickered and the confidence fell away, leaving Twilight to sit back down with an embarrassed smile."I...assume that's why you named her that."

"Start of the year and already you have an 'A'. Good job," Diana said before turning back to Fluttershy, who was completely enamored with Athena. "You can go back to your seat now, Fluttershy." Fluttershy nodded and headed back to her desk, with the owl resting upon her arm. All Diana could do was roll her eyes as Fluttershy continued to focus solely on Athena at her own desk.

Other students began to speak up, though Diana noticed that most of them were either not as interested or had little to say about themselves. The most she got out of most of them was their name and a hobby that they had, yet most said their hobby with such a bored tone that she wondered if any of them enjoyed what they did.

"Well, thank you for that...amazing speech, Bulk," Diana said with a smile after Bulk got done speaking, trying hard not to laugh at how he seemed squished in his chair. She then looked over to the next student that was getting up before a sound interrupted the class.

A loud thud had come from a seat in the back corner of the room, turning most eyes, including Diana's, towards the cause. On one of the desks lay a girl with red and yellow hair, face down and fast asleep. Diana's eyes narrowed slightly when she recognized the girl from the other day, before picking up her list to see which student it was. The teacher then walked over to where the sleeping student lay.

"I am sorry if the first day back seems boring, but if you're having a hard time staying awake now, you're not going to enjoy this class," Diana said calmly to the sleeping student, but her words were clearly not enough to wake the girl. Diana then rested a hand upon her shoulder and shook her once. "Sunset Shimmer," she said in a powerful voice. "Please, wake-"

Sunset's head then snapped up off of her desk, allowing Diana to see that the bags were still under her eyes. Exhaustion was clearly written on the girl's face, yet when Sunset turned her head to look up at Diana, the amazon's eyes widened--not at how tired Sunset was, but the fear that she saw in her eyes--the horrified, desperate fear that Diana had only seen in those who were either about to die or dying.

"W-what? I'm so sorry, Diana. I didn't mean to..." Sunset said rapidly as she rubbed her eyes before giving Diana a weary smile. Yet Diana's expression did not change for a moment while she continued to stare down at Sunset, causing the smile to fall from the girl's face.

"See me after class, please," Diana finally spoke as she returned to the front of the class, hearing Sunset groan while her head slammed down onto the desk. The students continued to introduce themselves, but Diana's focus was no longer on them. Her eyes stared out from behind her glass at Sunset, who was doing everything in her power to stay awake.

'The look in her eyes...I have only seen that look in those who believe they are about to die,' Diana thought while a student began to ramble about all the things she enjoyed. 'That would imply she was having a nightmare, but by Hera what nightmare could cause such terror? And judging by the bags under her eyes, this nightmare has pestered her for longer than I've been here...'

It was at that moment that another interruption decided to grace the class, when the door to the room was kicked open and a girl playing the air guitar leapt into the room. She whipped her head up and down while humming a beat to herself, eyes shut as she played while also being moving to her seat. Diana didn't need to look at the student chart to know who this was. The rainbow hair and the warning Celestia had given her earlier in the day were enough.

"Rainbow Dash. How nice of you to finally join us," Diana said in a calm voice, yet every student shuddered slightly at the power behind it.

"Sorry that I'm late, teach. Pickup game at the soccer field ran late," Rainbow Dash explained as she kicked back in her chair and propped her feet up on her desk. "And you know that I couldn't just up and leave, especially when the game was so close. You understand, right?"

None of the students saw the lightning that flashed in Diana's eyes, but with complete self-mastery she forced her face to remain neutral as she sat back against her desk.

"Since it is the first day back, I will be lenient this once," Diana informed Rainbow Dash, who replied with two thumbs up as she began to play a solo. Then the mood in the room seemed to shift, and Dash cracked open her eyes to see Diana giving her a look that made Dash sit properly in her seat. "But please do your best to not let it happen again. Now then, who wishes to introduce themselves next?"

Yet as Diana glanced around the room, she could see that her reaction to Dash's lateness had silenced the rest of the students from speaking. Diana sighed before running one of her hands through her hair, then moving off of her desk and to the whiteboard behind her.

"Thank you for allowing me to get to know most of you better. Now here are some things that you should know about me and this class," Diana began as she wrote down information upon the board. "The first is that I believe in fairness. If you are fair with me, I will be fair with you. Next is that my teaching style will most likely be very different from how you have been taught. I teach with a more hands on approach as opposed to out of a book. In fact, don't bother bringing the textbooks to class unless I say to."

The students all began to murmur with surprise at Diana's words, but they all went as silent as the dead when she turned to face them once again. "I also encourage conversation, of sharing knowledge and information. You wish to discuss with one another about what you are learning? That I am fine with. But when I speak, you listen."

Diana then turned back to the board and lifted her hand to write again before a sound caught her ears, which was quickly followed by another sound. Without bothering to turn her head, Diana swung back with her free hand and obliterated the spitball that had been heading towards her. If it was possible, the class became even quieter at what she had just done before Diana slowly turned her head towards the culprit, who sat as stiff as a corpse in his seat.

"Boneclaw," Diana began slowly to a larger boy sitting in the back, who looked as if he was going to wet himself. "When using a weapon that requires your own breath, such as a blow dart or a spitball, try not to inhale so loudly. It can give your attack and location away." A small smile crossed Diana's face at the reaction that the students had to her words. She placed her marker on her desk before looking at each and every student with a look that would have held the attention of the League.

"You are here to learn and I am here to teach you. Yet, I will not just teach you names and "facts," I will also teach you skills and will build up the person you want to be. The tests and homework in this class won't be from a book. Each assignment will be tailored to each of you and your skills. That way you can all give me your best." Diana then removed her glasses and looked upon the students with eyes that beamed like the sun. "You are not just a class for me to teach or a job that I have to do. You are all my students, and I promise that I will not fail any of you, if you are willing to give me a chance. Now then, who's ready to learn?"

_-=W=-_

Diana waved to the students as they all poured out of her classroom, the sound of the bell drawing them from their seats and to the exit of the room. Diana then let out a sigh as she began to gather all of the papers on her desk, giving Athena a chance to land on Diana's shoulder.

'That was quite impressive for your first day. And you did not even impale any of the arrogant and defiant mortals upon your sword. You are already doing far better than most other gods.'

"They are children, Athena. They still have a few more years to be arrogant and defiant," Diana reminded the goddess. "And while I do enjoy teaching ones as young as themselves, if it was not for that surge of magic we felt upon arrival I would call Hades a fool...actually, I will call him a fool anyway."

'Whatever that surge of magic was the other day, I have not felt anything like it in the time that we've been here,' Athena informed Diana, who nodded in agreement before Athena glanced down at the papers. 'I am actually quite impressed that you managed to get everything ready for a class on another world in under a day.'

"Superspeed helps. Plus Hades was kind enough to also leave some rare jewels and gold within that file, so I will not have to worry about money while I am here," Diana said as she placed all of the papers within her file and stood up. "Well, the first day is down. We just need to keep going until-"

Diana ceased to speak when she turned around to see Sunset Shimmer standing before her desk, her weary eyes filled with confusion as she gazed from her teacher to the bird. "Um, it might be the lack of sleep making me see things, but were you just having a conversation with your owl?"

"What? Don't you speak with animals?" Diana asked with a smile.

"No...and I'm sorry for falling asleep in class today," Sunset apologized as she rubbed her eyes once more. "I've just been so tired lately and-"

"Sunset, that lack of sleep is actually why I asked you to stay after class. I'm not mad at you for falling asleep, but I'd like to know the reason why you are having trouble sleeping," Diana asked the girl, noticing that Sunset chose to avert her eyes instead of answer. Diana then placed both hands on Sunset's shoulders, giving the girl her full attention. "Sunset, if something is the matter, you can always tell me. I'll help you."

For a brief moment, Diana thought that Sunset would tell her what the problem was. But then doubt clouded her eyes and Sunset shook her head with a smile. "No, it's nothing. Just some...bad dreams. That's all." Diana could feel the weight of her lasso within her coat, knowing that gaining the truth would be easy enough.

'No. If she does not wish to confide in me, then it shows that I have not yet earned her trust,' Diana thought as she nodded and motioned for Sunset to go. 'I will have to work on that with all of them.'

'So what now, Diana?' Athena asked from Diana's shoulder as Diana locked the door behind her and headed down the hallway.

"Now, we look for an apartment. Seems I'm going to be staying here longer than I thought."