• Published 24th Feb 2016
  • 6,879 Views, 979 Comments

Let Them Wonder - Onomonopia

  • ...
34
 979
 6,879

Final Exam

Elemental power flooded through Hades as he drove his boot into the chest of Diana, knocking her onto her back. He marched over to her and slammed his boot on top of her chest, smiling down at her as she struggled to push him off of her. Yet even with the strength of war and her own upbringing, Diana could not budge Hades at all.

"You have no power left," Hades informed her. Diana's response was to spit at Hades before again trying to remove his boot from her chest. "Your Amazonian strength fails you. There is no war left in the world. There is only death. And soon, you shall join your comrades as my eternal prisoners." Hades then pointed his scythe down at Diana's throat. "I will miss our little discussions, my dear. But it's time that you finally-"

A small blast of light struck Hades in the side of the head, cutting him off mid sentence. He let out a small sigh as he turned his gaze to the stairs behind him, where he spied the seven girls staring him down. An eyebrow raised upon his head when he saw that six of them glowed with the light of the Elements, but it was far dimmer than it had been when they had given their power to him.

"And just what did you hope to accomplish with that?" he asked the six of them. Sunset's response was to charge another shot of magic in her palms before firing it at the god. Hades gave her a look as the spell fizzled out against his chest, before letting out another sigh. "Very well, I guess I'm doing this now."

In a blur Hades slammed the butt of his scythe into the face of Wonder Woman, snapping her head back and cracking her nose even further. With his only real threat incapacitated for the moment, Hades turned and began to walk towards the six girls.

"Why bother attacking me? You know that with the pitiful remains of your magic you cannot even amuse me," Hades reminded the girls as he walked up to them, glaring down at the seven with eyes as crimson as the moon. "And you certainly stand no hope of even scratching me. So unless you would prefer to return to the underworld, then you'd-"

Hades was cut off once more as Sunset fired another blast of magic into his face. Hades simply shook his head at her actions before his hand shot out and grabbed hold of Sunset by her throat. The other girls raced forward and unleashed what magic they had upon Hades, but he ignored them as he held Sunset aloft.

"Did you not hear your god's words? I could kill you with a flick of my fingers," Hades reminded her. But to his surprise, Sunset gave him a smirk before flipping up two fingers that made Hades narrow his eyes. "Do not tempt me, for with-"

"Then just do it already," Sunset told him. Hades' eyes widened in surprise for a moment before they darkened. "Go ahead, kill me. Kill me and my friends. But if you do that, you'd better get used to not having those Elements any more." Sunset's smile spread even wider when she saw Hades' eyes widen for just a second before they resumed their angry look.

"That's right. I know. That's the reason you haven't killed us. That's the reason you haven't killed any of the gods. Because you need them alive if you want to use their power," Sunset explained to Hades, who remained silent the entire time. "So you could kill us. But then the Elements' power would no longer be yours. And then where would that leave you?"

"You are a fool. True, I may not wish to risk killing you, but there are other ways to deal with annoyances like you," Hades replied as he tossed Sunset to the ground. He then let out a roar before his body began to shine with the power of the Elements. He then unleashed all of the Elemental power into Sunset, who was consumed by a beam of rainbow light. "I shall turn you to stone, same as I did the-"

"And you call me a fool." Hades took a step back when the rainbow light faded and revealed that Sunset was still standing, a smile on her face and two crimson wings coming out of her back. "We are the wielders of the Elements. Even if you have their power, we embody them. So trying to use them against us...is a losing battle!"

Hades snarled as Sunset aimed her arms at her friends and fired off beams of light into them as well. One by one they were each infused with their Elemental power, causing pony ears to grow out of their heads and for their hair to extend. Fluttershy and Dash even got their wings back.

"And when we're together...there is nothing we can't do!" Sunset yelled as the six of them formed a circle in the air, causing their bodies to glow with a divine light. That beam shot into the air and began to form a giant sphere of magic.

But in a heartbeat Hades was in front of Sunset. He plunged his hand through the magical barrier and tore her from the circle, cutting off the magic and ceasing the spell that they were casting. Hades then hurled Sunset into the ground with enough force to shatter some of the girl's ribs. Sunset cried out in pain before she began to cough up blood.

The other girls lunged forward to try and save their friend, but Hades whipped the backside of his scythe around and swatted them out of the air. The other Element wielders crashed to the ground, where they struggled to get back up as Hades approached Sunset Shimmer.

"As I said. Fools," Hades said as he lifted his boot over one of her legs. "You do not wish to be entrapped in stone? Very well. Then my kindness is at an end. Instead of stone, I shall simply shatter you."

"Do your worst. But as long as one of us draws breath, we will fight against you," Sunset said through the pain as she slowly forced herself to sit up. "And no matter how long it takes, we will never stop fighting. You...won't win...this war."

"This war? You fool, this war is over. This little battle of yours-"

"Was just what I needed." Hades spun around in time to receive five knuckles to the face. He staggered back from the sucker punch and left himself open to be kicked in the head. Diana followed up the kick by hurling Ares' helmet to the side before removing her tiara and letting it fly towards Hades. Even though it was a sharp as any blade, all the tiara could manage to do was distract Hades. But a distraction was what Diana needed.

"Are you all okay?" Diana asked the girls in a weak voice as they staggered over to her and Sunset.

"No...not really," Sunset said with a laugh before she spat up more blood. Diana wore a look of concern as she gazed over each girl, but the girls could see that Diana herself still hadn't recovered from the injuries she had sustained either.

"Diana...what do we do?" Rainbow Dash asked Diana. Before Diana could answer Hades grabbed hold of the back of her head and hurled her into the side of Olympus. In a moment he was before her and unleashed blow after blow that shook the very mountain of the gods to its core.

"I have had enough!" Hades bellowed before punching Diana with enough force to send her hurtling through Olympus and out the other side. Diana weakly pulled herself off of the ground before Hades was upon her again, driving his fists into the side of her head and knocking her down once more. "This battle is over. You cannot beat me. Your student cannot beat me. Now finally die!"

Just as Hades was about to sever Diana's soul from her body, another explosion of rainbow light erupted from the other side of Olympus. Hades let out a howl of rage as he turned to face the girls once more, but this time it was only Sunset that stared him down...as she glared down at him with her whole body covered in celestial magic. White wings spread from her back and a horn of absolute magic extended from her head, giving her the appearance of a goddess.

"You truly do not know when to quit, do you?" Hades asked Sunset as he swung his scythe around and prepared to do battle. But upon a second inspection, he found that Sunset was breathing heavily and that her form was flickering weakly. "I see. It is taking all of your strength to simply remain standing, isn't it?"

"Yeah...what of it?" Sunset asked with a weak smirk. She then lifted both arms and fired a beam of pure magic at Hades. The God of Olympus simply slipped into the shadows to avoid the attack before appearing behind Sunset, slamming the end of his scythe into her head and sending her crashing down to the ground.

"Sunset..." Diana said weakly as she pulled herself over to Sunset, whose divine form was flickering weakly as she tried to maintain it.

"Sorry...Diana...guess I just wasn't strong enough," Sunset said in a soft tone. "Guess you were right. Guess I shouldn't have...given him...the magic...but I just couldn't do it. I couldn't stand by and leave you in his clutches without trying to save you. You're...my teacher. And my friend. Sorry I couldn't make you proud."

"Sunset, do not listen to the words of this fool," Diana said as she weakly pushed herself back up. "You are right. We should never...give up. On our friends or what we believe in. This just goes to show...that I have nothing left to teach you." Diana then forced herself to stand back up, glaring up at Hades as she placed herself between her and her student.

"So does this mean I pass your class?" Sunset asked with a small chuckle.

"Of course. But I'm still going to give you a final question," Diana panted weakly before floating up to confront Hades once more. "And that's, can you see a way to defeat Hades? Because gods help me, I can't."

Sunset forced herself to her knees as the battle between Hades and Diana resumed once more. From the first blow it was clear to Sunset that Diana was just too tired and too outmatched to even stand a chance in this fight.

'But she's given the task to me,' Sunset thought as she looked down at her fists, trying to think through the pain for a solution to the unstoppable power of Hades. 'As her student, I have to think of something, anything to help her!' Sunset glanced around desperately for an answer. The gods were of no help. The other heroes of Earth had fallen. Her friends were beaten. And she and Diana could barely stand.

'And then there's Hades and that scythe of his, which can drain the godly power out of Diana,' Sunset thought before an idea formed in her mind. 'That's right. Drain the godly power. And wound the very being that made it.'

With all of her power and might she forced herself to stand back up, locking away the agony of her ribs that screamed throughout her body. Sunset then aimed her arms at Diana and took aim, before unleashing the full power of the Elements upon her. The divine, holy beam of magic struck the wonder in the back and began to infuse her body with power. A Spartan helmet of the purest silver formed upon her head, a cape of white crossed her shoulders and metallic gauntlets and grieves formed on her limbs.

"So, they have given you the power of the Elements as well, have they?" Hades asked with a laugh as he gazed down at Sunset, who had passed out upon the ground. "But yours is nothing more than a small percent of the true power. The true power that I wield." Hades then lifted his scythe to the sky, where both lightning and rain consumed the blade of the weapon. Hades then traced his fingers across the blade, infusing it with his own power.

Hades then lunged at Diana and slashed at her with the scythe, cleaving the heavens and the earth with each swing. Diana in turn blocked every strike with her Elemental gauntlets, but just as Hades said, she only had a fraction of the power. So with each swing the scythe of the dead sliced away at the gauntlets, sending pieces of them flying with each strike.

"It may only be a fraction of their power, but this is the power that Sunset entrusted to me!" Diana bellowed as she raised a hand to catch the scythe before it could strike her. The two gods strained against each other before, with all of her might, Diana tore the scythe from Hades' hands and tossed it to the ground below.

With his weapon gone, Hades snarled before he charged Diana and slammed his shoulder into her gut. He drove the both of them into the earth, shattering it with his power. He then grabbed hold of Diana's throat with both hands, squeezing the life out of her as he constricted his fingers with a smile of pure malice. Diana clawed at Hades' face as she struggled to push him off, but he ignored the pain as her efforts to escape began to wane.

"So this was your student's grand plan? Infuse you with a weak version of the magic I use? Give you a boost that barely increased your power?! It seems that she truly does take after you. Just as you failed Ares, now she fails-" Hades then let out a scream of agony to the sky as his scythe drove itself through his back and burst through his chest. The God of Olympus slowly looked behind him to see Sunset Shimmer, a smile on her face and his scythe in her hands.

"This had...better get me...extra credit," Sunset spat out.

"Do you...ever...give up..." Hades weakly asked.

"So I have a question on this test, Diana. Can we kill death?" Sunset asked before she placed her shoulder against the scythe. Sunset then screamed as she poured every last ounce of her strength into lifting the scythe. The scythe then began to drain the godly power from Hades, stealing from him the powers that he himself had stolen. But even though the scythe could pierce through Hades and strip him of his power, with her broken ribs and exhausted muscles Sunset could barely move the scythe any further.

"Got to admit Sunset, I don't know either," Diana spat as she leapt forward and grabbed the blade of the scythe that was sticking through Hades' chest, glaring into the eyes of the dark god. "But we can sure find out." The two then roared together as they swung the blade up with all of their remaining might, slicing through flesh and armor before the scythe ripped itself free of Hades.

Hades screamed with agony as both blood and magic erupted from his body, bathing the area in a light of crimson magic. Diana felt the power of the Elements flooding through her as their power left Hades' body, and for a moment she felt their true power.

"Sunset," Diana said weakly as she floated over to Sunset's side, leaning her student up against her as Sunset let go of the scythe. "We have to end this together. This is your power. You need to be the one to tell it what to do. Go on Sunset. Time to end this."

Hades weakly turned his head around to see teacher and student standing together, glaring down the god with the same look in their eyes. And then, for a brief moment, both Sunset and Diana were wearing the same outfit. The same armor of the gods. Sunset screamed as she unleashed all of the elemental power she had upon Hades, who didn't have the strength to cry out as the magic enveloped him. But then a smile creased his lips as his body began to turn to stone.

"Very well, Diana. I concede this one to you."

One last flash of light went off and when it cleared, the God of Olympus was completely sealed in stone. Sunset and Diana both stared at the god for a moment before the light of the Elements shot into the sky, raining down upon the land to undo all that Hades had done. With the power of the Elements no longer within them, though, all that was left for Diana and Sunset to do was collapse to the ground. Each of them trying not to think about how the pain sucked as they lay flat on their backs, staring up at the sky.

"Hey...Diana...?" Sunset finally asked, getting a groan out of her teacher as Diana was forced to turn her head to look at her student. "Did I pass the test?" Diana blinked once at her student before letting out a small laugh, then returned her gaze to the sky, which was the same blue that it was when she had left.

"Sorry Sunset, but I'm going to be using up all of my sick days for the next week. But from what I'm looking at, it might be your highest grade yet."