• Published 24th Feb 2016
  • 6,879 Views, 979 Comments

Let Them Wonder - Onomonopia

  • ...
34
 979
 6,879

Her Student

Five girls stood around the entrance to one of the rooms at an apartment complex, each of them talking quietly as they awaited their final member. They had arrived at the entrance in the early morning, but the sun was practically sinking below the horizon before their final member showed.

"Sorry I'm late girls, something really serious happened," Twilight apologized as she came running up the stairs, doubling over at the top and taking in a few deep breaths.

"Yeah, something serious happened. What happened is that Sunset has been in there for nearly two days now and hasn't once said anything to anyone!" Rainbow Dash criticized as Twilight pushed her glasses back up her nose. "I should be at soccer practice right now, but instead I'm here waiting for you to show."

"Sorry...so, she hasn't said or done anything in nearly two days?" Twilight asked as she approached the door to Sunset's apartment. "Have any of you tried talking to her?"

"That's what we spent most of this morning doing, but she simply refuses to open the door or talk to us," Rarity said with a shake of her head. "Every once in a while we hear her sobbing to herself, but other than that...nothing."

"I see. That really does sound bad," Twilight agreed before losing herself in thought for a moment. "What about force? I don't want to disturb her privacy, but if it's serious enough..."

"Don't bother. Sunset used her magical power to seal that door shut. Rainbow and I both tried kicking it down and it didn't budge. And that was after we ponied up," Applejack explained.

"Yeah. Even I can't get in there. And I can get into anywhere!" Pinkie exclaimed with disbelief.

"So...what do we do?" Twilight asked her friends, each of whom shook their heads when she looked at them.

"Not much we can do at this point. She clearly wants to be alone, so I say we let her and let me get back to practice," Rainbow Dash suggested with a shrug, which gained her numerous nasty looks. "Hey, I didn't go to Diana's tutoring for weeks just to get benched at the biggest game of the year! I earned my spot on that team!"

"I agree with Rainbow Dash," Fluttershy spoke up in a soft whisper. "Not about the whole team thing, but about leaving her alone. If she wants to talk to us, she will. But for now, we can't do anything for her."

"I see. Then how about I try." All six of the girls yelped before spinning around to see Diana standing beside them, a look of concern upon her face.

"Diana? Where the heck did you come from?" Twilight asked as she glanced at the stairs, knowing that Diana didn't use those.

"I came here because I thought by now Sunset would have been able to snap out of whatever funk she was in. But if she skips school because of it and even ignores me, then it's clear that whatever is affecting her is worse than I believed," Diana explained as she walked to the door, the girls moving out of her way so that she could. Diana then knocked twice upon the door. "Sunset? It's me. Can I come in?"

"Seems she doesn't want to talk to you. Ah wonder why?" Applejack said in a cold tone that turned every head towards her. "Oh, don't act so surprised, Diana. She's upset that she failed to beat the Crystal Prep student in the obstacle course."

"Why would that bother her so much? It was just an event?" Rarity asked.

"Yer mah star pupil. Ah know ya won't fail me. Yer guaranteed to win. Ya won't let me down," Applejack said in a tone that was clearly mocking Diana, but the teacher's face remained unmoved by Applejack's words. "With all that pressure on her, it's no wonder that she-"

"Be quiet." The arrogance was struck from the face of Applejack by Diana's words, and though her face didn't change in the least, all six of the girls became very aware of the fury that was bubbling beneath Diana's calm exterior. "And do not act like you know what she has had to go through...why she hates herself so. There is more here than you can clearly see. Leave. I wish to speak to her in private," Diana instructed as she grabbed the door itself.

"Good luck getting past that. Even with our power we-" Diana pressed against the door in one swift strike and a moment later the door was obliterated into splinters, silencing the girls once more. Diana then glanced over her shoulder at the girls, looking from them to the stairs. Catching the hint, the now very concerned girls walked away from what remained of Sunset's front door. Diana waited until the six of them were far enough away before she walked into Sunset's apartment, which was cast in shadows.

"Sunset," Diana said with a softening tone as she spied the red-headed girl laying on her bed, curled up into a small ball. "Sunset, please talk to me." Sunset said nothing to show that she had heard Diana's words, leaving the teacher to sigh as she sat down on the edge of the girl's bed. "Sunset, I know that you are upset right now, but I want you to know that I am not angry with you. How could I be?"

"How?" Sunset replied in a voice that was hoarse from the sobbing and lack of use. "Because I'm the biggest failure that this world has ever seen. All your training. All the advice and help that you gave me. And I still lost. I still couldn't win, even when I had victory right in front of me. I let you down."

"Sunset-"

"And that's all I seem to be able to do! Whenever a teacher or friend puts their faith in me, all I do is screw things up!" Sunset screamed into her bed, her whole body shaking with fury and sorrow. "Celestia told me that one day I would be greater than her, but I succumbed to the desire for power and let her down! Twilight told me that I would be able to take care of this world in her place, but I keep messing up again and again! And even the other day, when you had no doubt that I would win, when you told Cinch to her face that I, your "star pupil" would triumph...I failed." Diana said nothing in reply as Sunset began to sob once more.

"Maybe that nightmare was right. Maybe I am the reason all the bad things are happening at Canterlot High. Maybe if Twilight was here, she would be able to stop the vortexes and actually be of use to you in the fight against Hades. Maybe...I would be better off dead."

Diana felt a pang of pain in her heart at Sunset's words, but it wasn't until she gazed down at what Sunset held clutched in her hands that Diana's heart truly did break. For Sunset was gripping onto the lasso of truth as if its magic would have the power to fix what had been done.

'And that means everything she just said was the complete truth,' Diana realized as she shook her head sadly. 'Oh Sunset, you poor girl. I never wished for you to put so much pressure on yourself. All I wished to do was help you find your confidence again. To be...she needs to hear this from me. And she needs to hear all of it.'

"Sunset...I know how badly you wanted to win that race. To feel that all the training you put in wasn't wasted. To prove to everyone that you weren't the failure that they, and you, saw in yourself," Diana said to the still unmoving Sunset. "And then something happened that you couldn't expect. The harness of your opponent broke and she lost her footing. Now whether it was on purpose or foul play, at that time it didn't matter. You were given a choice. Win the race. Or save your opponent. You chose the latter. And because of it, your opponent won the race."

Diana saw a slight movement in Sunset's body as she curled even tighter into a ball and Diana was certain that she heard a faint sniffle. But then Diana let the kindest and most true smile she had cross her face, before she gently reached out and placed her hand upon Sunset's shoulder.

"Sunset...I am so proud of you." In an instant Sunset sat up and spun to face Diana, her puffy, red eyes filled with absolute disbelief as she looked at the smile on Diana's face.

"Why?" Sunset croaked out. "I didn't win. I let you and all the other students down. Everything you trained me for...Cinch will always-"

"Do you think I truly care what that idiot of a teacher has to say about me?" Diana asked with a smirk before regaining her composure. "And yes, I truly did believe that you would win that race. That was, until Agatha found herself in jeopardy. That's when I became concerned for you."

"That I would lose?"

"No. That you would choose to win." Sunset gave Diana a look of pure confusion at Diana's words. "Sunset, the entire time I have been here, beings have been attacking you. Not your intelligence, not your looks, and not your physical or magical abilities. They have been attacking you, the kindest, caring--and one of the strongest-willed people I have met. And none of them managed to break you, no matter how hard they tried. But I was afraid that the race would be the one thing to do so. That you would go against who you are...to make me proud."

Sunset found that she couldn't say anything in reply. All she did was blink weakly as Diana took in a deep breath and continued on.

"I know how badly you wanted to win. But it wasn't about winning--not completely. It was about showing me that you did learn from me. That you truly were my star pupil. You knew how much I believed in you...and for a moment, you were willing to risk Agatha's life just so you could win and prove me right. So that I'd be proud of you," Diana explained. "And that's what all of this has been about, isn't it?" Sunset's eyes answered for her as she gazed down at the bed, unable to face her teacher.

"I had failed Celestia. I had disappointed her. And ever since that day, I wish I could go back and fix what I had done. That if given a second chance, I would make her proud," Sunset admitted weakly. "And then one day, when I was at my weakest, you appeared. You saved me, you helped me...you saw potential in me and took me under your wing. You saved me, in more ways that one. So, I promised that I would not fail you the same way I had failed Celestia. That I would be a student...worth being proud of."

"And you are," Diana said once more, and once again Sunset gazed up at her teacher with disbelief and doubt. "You chose to save Agatha. You chose to sacrifice what you had been after for so long to save the life of another. Even with victory before you, you didn't allow that kindness of yours, that inner...goodness, to be sacrificed. You chose to do the right thing, even though you believed that it had cost you everything. And in that moment, you showed me the true spirit of the girl that I have been training. The girl who would not sacrifice another to get what she wanted. You showed me that she is someone I can be proud of."

Tears were beginning to fall from Sunset's face once again as she stared up at Diana's smiling face with both confusion and happiness filling up her heart, unable to decide which emotion she should go with. Diana then removed her hand from Sunset's shoulder and extended it to Sunset, with Diana's eyes blazing with both pride and kindness.

"I don't give a damn about wins or losses. I don't care about a stupid competition between schools to see which is better. But I do care about you and the person that you are. And you are a good girl with a good heart," Diana said. "You are my star pupil. You are my prized student. You are Sunset Shimmer...and I couldn't be prouder."

Sunset glanced from Diana's face to her extended hand, knowing that Diana wished to shake hands with her. But then the floodgates holding back Sunset's emotions were blasted open and she hurled herself around Diana's midsection with a hug, wrapping her arms around tightly as she began to sob uncontrollably with sheer relief. For a moment Diana was shocked at the sudden bear hug, but then a small smile spread upon her face once more and she gently held Sunset close.

The two stayed like that until Sunset finally calmed down to the point where she released Diana and started to wipe the tears away from her eyes. It was then that she noticed that she no longer had a front door. "Um, Diana? What happened to my door?"

"I destroyed it. You had a magical shield around it and I didn't want to waste time trying to get rid of the magic," Diana explained with a laugh. Sunset beamed up at her teacher before she started to laugh as well. But the laughter was cut short when Diana's senses went on alert and she spun her head in the direction of the school. "For a brief moment...I thought I felt Hades' magic. But none of the girls are at the school and you're...Sunset, is there anything at the school that would make Hades send a minion?"

"Um, I don't really know?" Sunset replied. Diana thought long and hard for a moment before her eyes widened and she glanced at Sunset with concern.

"Sunset, did you bring your school bag home with you after the game?" Diana asked with fear.

"No, I left it in my locker before we left for Crystal Prep. Why?"

"Dammit all, that's what Hades was after. He's probably after that book that allows you to communicate with your friends in Equestria," Diana realized as she rose to her feet and headed for the hole in the wall. "If he destroys that, then we won't be able to create the barrier to-"

"Let him have my bag." Diana spun around with confusion at Sunset's words, but the confusion was replaced by a devious smile when she saw what Sunset had in her hands. "After you voiced your concerns about Hades going after the source of our communication, I had Rarity make me a few fakes that I've stashed in places his forces might look. I might have been an emotional wreck the past couple of days, but I held onto enough sense to keep this with me."

"Sunset, you continue to impress," Diana said with a laugh, before her face fell again. "But your decoys won't last long. And once he finds out that his minion failed to destroy the real one, he won't be happy."

"Good. Him happy is what we're trying to avoid."

Despite the thought of what was to come, Diana couldn't help but smile at her student's tone. She then turned her full gaze towards Sunset once more, and, upon seeing the look of confidence and strength that had replaced the features of suffering a few minutes prior, she found that she couldn't bring herself to worry.

"Well, despite not winning the race, I believe that a reward is in order for what you did. Is there anywhere that you want to go or something that you want? I'm buying." Diana felt a fear for her wallet when she saw a smile of pure evil cross Sunset's face.

"Oh, I've got a few things that I wouldn't mind having. But at the front of the list is a new door. My other one is scattered across the floor in pieces."