• Published 24th Feb 2016
  • 6,879 Views, 979 Comments

Let Them Wonder - Onomonopia

  • ...
34
 979
 6,879

The God of Olympus

As Twilight and the other girls knelt down next to the motionless body of Sunset, they did everything in their power to try and save Sunset's life no matter how vain their efforts were. But even if they had their magic, they knew there was little chance they would be able to save her from such a wound. Without it? The cold realization dawned on them and they found themselves breaking down into tears, while Sunset stared ahead with blank eyes.

"Finally," the Maestro said with a very neutral tone, but only Hades turned to face him. "Finally, she is dead."

"Now you can see how this world plays out, just as you wanted," Hades said.

"Idiot. This world has been far too contaminated by your and Wonder Woman's interference," the Maestro spat at Hades, whose eyes narrowed dangerously before he let out a sigh and released the anger. "Watching Sunset die was more of a personal victory, you can say. There is glory in these small victories, after all."

"Indeed there are." The Maestro then shushed Hades as the darkness beneath the hood began to glow, making Hades raise an eyebrow in surprise as the Maestro went deathly silent. "I have never seen you do that before. Is something the matter?"

"It does not concern you. All that it means is a new development has occurred on another reality," the Maestro snapped at Hades before his whole body began to shimmer. "It is time I left this reality. Aside from watching Wonder Woman and Sunset die, there has been nothing enjoyable or illuminating about this place. Especially not you. I shall not miss it."

Hades didn't blink as the Maestro vanished into the nothingness, but the moment the being was gone Hades threw back his head and began to laugh. His laughter terrified every single deceased soul within the underworld, but none of the girls acknowledged the God of the Dead. They were too busy mourning.

"Finally, that infernal, egotistical jackass is gone," Hades said with a sigh of relief, before glancing over at the sobbing girls. A smile crossed his face and he extended his arm towards them, placing his forefinger on his thumb. "And with him finally gone..."

Hades then snapped his fingers with such force that the sound echoed across the fields of the damned. But the moment he did so, the hole within Sunset's chest repaired itself along with her clothes. Her eyes blazed with light before she sat up, taking in a deep breath before she started to shiver.

"W-what the hell just happened?" she stammered out as she stared down at her chest, which was perfectly healed. Her friends let out cries of joy before they all tackled her at once, but Sunset lifted her eyes towards the radiant Hades with confusion. "H-how? W-why?"

"You are in my world, Sunset. I decide who lives and dies down here," Hades said with a laugh before glancing back at where the Maestro had vanished. "Why? Because I have nothing against you. The only reason I "killed" you was to finally get rid of that idiot. I would have preferred to kill him, but I cannot. So, I will settle for spiting him instead."

"B-but I thought you promised..."

"Yes, I promised I would kill you. I never promised you would stay dead," Hades said with a laugh before pulling out Diana's soul. "Now then, I believe there is a second promise that I must fulfill."

"Wait..." Sunset spat out as she stood up on shaky legs. Applejack and Twilight each took one of her arms and draped them over their shoulders, helping Sunset stand as she glared down the God of the Dead. "I want...to adjust the deal. Promise me...you won't kill Diana...after you bring her back to life."

"Ah, you have learned that you have to be specific when dealing with a god. You have already shown that you are far smarter than that supposed studier of worlds," Hades said with another chuckle. "Very well, I promise that I shall not kill Diana unless she tries to stop me. But if she does, all deals go out the window."

Hades then slammed his hand into the ground and drew forth a body made of clay that looked just like Diana. He then snapped his fingers and her outfit, her bracelets and her lasso appeared around the clay body as well. Hades then took the sphere and plunged it into the heart of the clay body, before taking a step back as it began to glow with light.

"Your mother created you from clay. Now I shall do the same. Diana, live." The clay figure took its first breath as Hades said these words and collapsed to all fours, the clay turning to skin as Diana started to suck in breath after breath. Hades smiled down at Wonder Woman before he vanished in a flash of light.

"Diana!" Sunset called out as she broke free of her friends' grasp and raced over to her teacher, who was blinking through bleary eyes. Sunset tackled Wonder Woman with a huge hug, but she barely moved the lady with her impact. "You're alive! You're back!"

"I...am alive, that much is certain..." Diana muttered as she stood up as well, able to feel the strength of the gods flowing through her once more. She glanced down at her body to find that it was just the way she had been before the battle with Sunset. "Hades. Sunset...how am I alive? And why are we all...?" Realization crossed Wonder Woman's face as she glanced around the chamber, terror crossing her face when she could not find its ruler.

"We...traded the Elements. For your life," Sunset explained in a soft voice to Diana, who gazed down at her student with absolute terror flooding in her eyes. "It was the only way to save you! The only way to get you back after the Maestro forced you to kill yourself!"

"And so you gave your world's most powerful magic to the Lord of the Dead?!" Diana screamed at Sunset with disbelief, her tone surprising Sunset to the point where she took a step back. "Sunset...I cannot believe that you would do that. Of all the foolish, idiotic...I have to go. I have to get out of here."

"Why...?" Sunset asked weakly, but Diana said nothing as she walked by her student. But before she could get to the door, the other girls placed themselves between the door and Diana.

"Out of my way," Diana demanded. "You have no idea what Hades might be up to out there! I need to go before-" An explosion rocked the entire underworld, knocking all of them off of their feet. Diana was the first one up and she raced to the windows, where she gazed up in a terror that she never thought she would feel. For all of the souls in the underworld were being sucked into a vortex, a portal. And on the other side of the portal Diana could see Earth. Her Earth.

"Sunset...what have you done?" Diana asked her student with terror as she turned to face Sunset.

"I...I just wanted to-"

"Sunset...I am so disappointed," Wonder Woman said with a shake of her head. The girls gasped while Sunset's heart shattered, none of them saying anything when Wonder Woman raised her head once more and raced towards the exit. "I thought that I had taught you better. I never thought you would do something like this."

"Well, I'm glad I did."

Both the girls and Diana were stuck dumb by this statement. Diana slowly turned to face Sunset, who was glaring at the floor with her fists in knots. "I'm glad that I gave Hades the magic..."

"Sunset..." Diana asked with disbelief in every word. "How can you be glad for that? Hades now has unspeakable power! He is taking the souls of the dead and bringing them to the world of the living! What, in the name of the gods, could make you glad that-?!"

"Because it saved your life!" Sunset screamed back at Wonder Woman, silencing her teacher. "I don't care if bringing you back to life gave Hades that power! I don't care that you think it was the wrong decision! I don't care...that you're...disappointed with me," Sunset choked out weakly before the fire returned to her soul. "Because it saved you. And if that disappointment--your disappointment--is what I have to bear for saving you...then I can bear it."

"Sunset...there is more to this than my approval," Diana tried to tell Sunset. "What you have done-"

"Is something you should have done right from the beginning." If at all possible, the chamber seemed to grow colder at Sunset's words. Diana could only stare at her student with shock as Sunset forced herself to walk up to Diana and stare into her eyes, with her own eyes shining with the truth. "If there is one thing I have learned from being in the human world, it's that you never give up on your friends. No matter how bad things look or how high the risk...when one of them needs your help, you do everything in your power to help them."

"And you may have taught me to fight, how to be strong, and how to...live again, but they," Sunset said as she pointed at the girls, "showed me what true magic was. The magic of friendship. And ever since you have come here, ever since I discovered your reason for being brought here, I always disagreed with you not wanting to save your friend!"

"I wanted to!" Diana roared back, but Sunset held her ground. "But I would not risk you girls or your magic to restore him to life! The price was too high!"

"No, Diana. When your friends and those you care about are on the line, no price is too high," Sunset informed Diana before pointing to her friends. "We paid the price of our magic to save you. I almost paid with my life as well. But I assure you, that if we were given the choice again, each and everyone of us would save you again and again. Wouldn't we?"

"Yep.

"Of course."

"Darn tootin."

"Naturally."

"Friends always help each other!"

"Yes."

"See Diana?" Sunset asked Wonder Woman, who wore a look of uncertainty upon her face. "Friends will do anything for each other. Even if we have to give magic to a psycho, Lord of the Dead."

"But now Hades has your power...and Hera help me, I do not know if I have the strength to stop him," Diana admitted with a shake of her head. Sunset smiled up at Wonder Woman before giving her another hug.

"Didn't you hear what I just said? That's what friends are for, Diana. To help you when you need to kick the crap out of a psycho, Lord of the Dead. So how about it, girls? You want to help Diana kick the hell out of death?" The girls let out a battle cry as they raced around Diana, who couldn't help but smile as she gazed at their confident faces.

"I will bring you with me. You are safer with me than down here. But promise me, each of you, that you will leave the fighting to me," Diana asked them. When they all nodded with their hands behind their backs, Diana tapped into her godly power to tear open a hole in the underworld. She then took in a deep breath as she clashed her bracelets together before walking through the portal, afraid of what she would see on the other side.

=wWw=

It was worse than she could ever imagine. As Diana and the girls stepped through the portal, the very first sight that greeted their eyes was that of trillions of souls circling overhead. The souls blocked out the light of the sun and created black clouds that eternally covered the land.

"That...is downright terrifying," Rainbow Dash admitted as she and the other girls moved a little closer to each other for comfort.

"That is not terrifying. This is terrifying." The girls turned to where Diana was looking to see dozens of stone statues lining the area where they were standing.

"Diana...where are we?" Fluttershy asked with pure terror.

"As close to the top of Mount Olympus as I could get us," Diana informed the girls before she began to walk forward. "If there was any place we would find Hades after he conquered the world, it would be here."

"But how could he have conquered the world already?" Twilight asked as she and the girls followed Diana through the statues, glancing at them with fear. One of the statues was of a huge man with fins on his head and arms, laying on the ground and impaled upon his own trident.

"Poseidon," Sunset whispered.

"Time moves as fast as Hades wants in the underworld. He probably set it to move slower than my world, so by the time I escaped he would have already conquered this world," Diana explained as she started walking up a large staircase made of bones. She then glanced at one of the statues, a woman with a Spartan helmet and a look of rage upon her face. "I am so sorry Athena. I should have been here."

The girls followed Diana up the staircase, having to occasionally step over statues of fallen gods that Sunset named whenever they passed by them. "Hermes....Hephaestus...Zeus," she whispered with sheer terror as she spied the king of the gods chained on the edge of a cliff, where bolts of red lightning struck at him constantly. She shivered as she thought she heard his screams, racing forward a little fast before tripping over another statue.

"Who...?" she asked herself as she gazed at the stone being with pointy ears and a bat symbol on his chest.

"Are theses...gods?" Twilight asked as she stepped past a stone being that was pointing a ring at an unseen foe.

"If they are, I didn't learn about any of them," Rarity muttered as she walked past a stone human with a lightning bolt on his chest, who was frozen in stone and time.

"Hey Diana?" Pinkie asked as she gazed up into the face of a stone being, not sure if half his face was covered in a mask or was mechanical. "Do you know who these guys are?" Diana responded with silence as she continued to climb. The girls shared concerned looks before they followed after her. The group reached the top a few minutes later, where a large, circular platform that was home to a beautiful garden awaited them. For a brief moment, the girls were taken in by the beauty...before their eyes rested upon another statue in the center of the place.

"Come on. The entrance to the peak of Olympus is right over there," Diana said as she pointed to a cavern filled with light. She marched across the garden with a quickening pace, but all of the girls noticed that when she walked by this statue she averted her gaze for just a moment.

"So...think we stand a chance? Can we win?" Fluttershy asked as the group walked by the statue, following Diana.

"We don't have a choice, sugarcube. If we fail here, then not only will Diana's world be destroyed, but most likely ours eventually," Applejack said as she tipped her hat to avoid looking at the statue. Only Rainbow Dash stopped next to the statue as she passed it. Her gaze softened for a moment as she looked upon it and, for reasons she didn't know herself, she pressed her hand up against it for a moment.

"I can't but wonder...who were you guys?" she asked the stone being with the cape and the large "S" upon its chest. She then raced after the rest of the group, who were standing at the entrance to the Hall of the Gods.

"Are you all ready?" Diana asked the girls as she drew forth her electric blades from her bracelets.

"No," Fluttershy responded.

"Well at least you're being honest. Come on," Diana instructed. The group then walked through the entrance and emerged a moment later at the peak of the mountain. "Magic. That's how we got up here so fast," Wonder Woman told them before they could ask, before she glared up at what had once been the home of the gods. Where twelve thrones had once stood, now there was only one. The throne of Hades. And sitting atop the throne, was the dark god himself.

"Hades," Wonder Woman said with venom.

"Ah, Diana. I wondered when you would finally appear," Hades said with a laugh before rising from his throne and flying over the group. "Do you like what I've done with the world? It is finally they way it was supposed to be. Under my rule."

"What happened to your promise?! You promised to only use the magic to improve the underworld!" Diana roared up at Hades.

"That was indeed my promise. And I have fulfilled it. The dead now walk the Earth. There is now plenty of free, empty space in the underworld," Hades informed Diana with a laugh. "I have done exactly as I said I would do. Plus a little more. For you see, now the humans of Earth no longer have to worry about my arrogant older brothers, who would mess with them just for fun. There is only one god now. There is only Hades...Lord of Olympus!"

"Wrong." Hades glanced down at Diana, whose body radiated a crimson light that made Hades want to kill her then and there. "There is still one more. There is still one last god, goddess, that opposes you!" Wonder Woman then let out a scream that would wake the dead as she crossed her arms, summoning forth a helmet with ram horns atop it and a fur cap that was stained with the blood of countless wars. Diana threw her bracelets to the side, allowing her full, godly power to consume her. She then bellowed as she glared up at Hades with solid white eyes, the wrath of war flashing in her eyes.

"For that goddess is me! The Goddess of WAR!"

For a moment, Hades didn't say anything as he stared down his niece. But then a smile crossed his face before he lowered himself to the ground.

"Indeed you are right. There is one, last god that I must be rid of," Hades agreed before letting his own power flow. The Elements shone with their divine light as they fueled his body with their magic, creating an aura of peace and harmony that drowned out even the Goddess of War. "If you have any prayers Diana, then save them. For god will not answer them."

"You are the one who will be praying by the end of this," the Goddess of War roared. "For what you've done to my world, my allies...my student...you will pray to me for a quick and painless end to your existence. But it won't come. That is my promise to you."

"So you say, Diana. But I must admit, that I enjoy the irony in this," Hades said as he reached into the ground and pulled out a scythe filled with the power of the Elements. Diana roared as she created two portals and reached into them, pulling out a double-sided ax and a blade that belonged to her late master. "For today is the day that Death finally ascends to be king of all the gods."

"And what a better way to ring in the age of death...than with the bloodiest war?"