• Published 3rd Jan 2014
  • 583 Views, 3 Comments

Where the Wanderer Will Rest - DerGroBeHengst



Ponyville's newest, hopeful resident is shrouded mystery and struggles to adjust to being around other's. Settling down down in this town will force him to confront his greatest fears; which are rather unexpected.

  • ...
3
 3
 583

Business as Usual

High above the clouds a shadow flew at a leisurely pace, savoring its moments in the sky. Past the clouds it descended before a large, newly built, classical house. He shook the moisture from black mane and upon opening the door he pulled off his scarlet scarf, showing his pale white coat to the emptiness of his home. Awards and portraits adorned his sitting room; two arm chairs and a couch were placed in front of his fire place next to the walls of bookshelves. He sat down in the closest armchair, letting his wings droop and relax after his long flight.

“Nothing better than settling back home after days of business”, the stallion let himself sink deeper into his chair.

A knock came at his door and he begrudgingly got up to answer it. A pink maned pegasus greeted him with a smile and a covered plate.

“Hello Fluttershy *yawn* to what do I owe the pleasure of your company?”

“Hi Bo, well… I saw you fly back home while I was cooking so I wanted to save you some trouble and bring you a meal”, she said with a smile.

Bo felt a rumble in his stomach; he was very hungry after his travel and it had been a long time since he had eaten anyone else’s cooking, “Thanks… that sounds great, please come in”, he stepped aside to make way and Fluttershy came in. She was nervous as the house seemed very foreign to her. Aside from belonging to a stallion, the house was structured and decorated like you would imagine a haunted house. Her eyes were quickly drawn to the mantle which was filled with medals and awards, though she didn’t look closely enough to see what they were for.

“Wow your house is so… big”

“I gather a lot of things when I travel… everything you see is from my stay in other countries and even some unchartered territories *yawn* I just got back from some urgent business in Appeloosa. That reminds me, is Applejack around?”

“Um… I think she’s in town, I’m heading there for some errands if you have something to say”, Fluttershy smiled as she set the food down on his coffee table.

“Actually a package, here”, he dug through his saddle bags and pulled out a lush red apple, “some pony named Braeburn found out I was from Ponyville and asked me to bring it back to her with the message ‘Bloomberg’s best, love Braeburn’. *yawn* I’ll be honest, I have an appointment later so I need some sleep… would you mind terribly?”

“Say no more, just get some sleep and rest your wings”, she replied in a motherly tone.

“Thanks… I feel like I should do something nice for you what with all the help you’ve provided”

“Just being a good friend”, she said as she left.

He gazed at the plate of food next to him, “…I can fit a snack in before my nap”

Fluttershy had made it back into town and made a b-line for the market when she heard a familiar voice call out to her.

“Fluttershy!”, Rainbow Dash came to a halt mere inches before colliding with her, “Fluttershy… guess what?! Come on guess, it’s so awesome!!”

“Um… what?”

“Aww I’ll just tell you. My super-secret Wonderbolt fan-club connections say that Soarin and Spitfire are coming to Ponyville on a special secret errand. Imagine the possibilities! Maybe they finally realize how great I am and decided to recruit me personally”, she said in a proud pose.

“I don’t think-“

“Maybe they’ll ask me to come get measured for a uniform!”, Rainbow seemed to be getting lost in her own hubris.

“I have to-“

“Even if there is a slight possibility that they’re not here for me, all I have to do is wow them when they show up!”

“I uh… I have to go find Applejack”

“Oh why didn’t you say so? I saw her on my way here, come on”, Rainbow Dash motioned at a slightly annoyed Fluttershy.

They walked deeper into the market until they came upon a section of street that was covered in letters. They looked around, finding both Applejack and Derpy picking up the scattered post.

“Hey y’all, would ya mind lending a hoof?”

“Sure but how did this happen?”, Rainbow asked as she began gathering the letters.

“Don’t rightfully know. One minute me and Derpy were havin’ a nice chat then this big gust’a wind kicks up and flips her bag’a mail”

Rainbow Dash’s cheeks reddened; it was more than likely her flying speed that stirred the gust, “Gee I wonder why the wind picked up… glad we can help Derpy though!”

“Yeah, thanks guys!”, as she lifted a letter a slight breeze blew it out of her grasp and it landed next to Fluttershy.

She picked up the letter and read the sender aloud, “From Spitfire, Captain of the Wonderbolts…”

“Gimme that it’s probably for me!”, Rainbow Dash called excitedly.

Fluttershy shook her head, “It says it’s for Bo”

As they finished putting back the last letter Rainbow remained dumbfounded. They returned to Applejack’s booth where Rainbow Dash finally cracked, “I can’t believe it, what’s does Bo have to do with the Wonderbolts?”

“I dunno, when ya think about it we don’t even know what his job is”

“That reminds me”, Fluttershy held out the apple to her friend, “Bo said to tell you that Braeburn said ‘Bloomberg’s best, love Braeburn’, here”

Applejack took the apple and her eyes watered slightly, “I’m so proud of you Bloomberg”, she then quickly ate the apple down to the core and spoke as she chewed the last bits, “Whatever he works in, ‘pparently he goes everywhere”

“You think Twilight knows where he works?”, Rainbow asked.

“She was the first to meet him”, Fluttershy added.

“I’m gettin’ pretty curious about this too, let’s ask her”

A short journey led the home of their friend and the lavender unicorn greeted them with a smile, “Hey guys, what’s the occasion?”

“We were just wonderin’ if you knew what Bo’s job is?”, Applejack started.

“I can’t say that I do, why the sudden interest?”

“It’s been bugging us for a while, I mean he got mail from the Wonderbolts”, Rainbow Dash started.

“He goes ta places like Appleloosa”, Applejack added.

“And his house is full of awards”, Fluttershy finished.

“Wonderbolts, travel, and awards…”, Twilight rubbed he chin quizzically, “Could it be he is a Wonderbolt?”

“Not a chance, I know the name of every member of the Wonderbolts”, Rainbow said proudly.

“He also said he doesn’t like flyin’ all that much”

“I’ll be honest; this is making me a little curious too”

“Right?! When you start thinking about it, it starts bugging you!”, Rainbow exclaimed.

“If anypony in town would know it’s be Rarity”, Twilight mumbled.

“Why?”, Applejack asked; raising an eyebrow.

“He had no place to stay and he ended up staying at her home for a while”, she shrugged.


~


“Sorry dear I don’t know either. He stayed for quite some time but…”, her cheeks reddened, “He wasn’t very open about his personal life while he was here… although”, they all leaned in to listen intently, “he knew how to handle Sweetie Belle, like he had previous experience working with children and he was intelligent enough to be a school teacher or something of the sort: in the short time he stayed Sweetie Belle improved in her school work.”

“We keep getting more pieces to the puzzle but they don’t fit together”, Twilight mumbled.

“Guys look outside”, Rainbow Dash whispered.

They all moved in closer together and peered out the boutique’s window. Spitfire and Soarin could be seen walking the streets without their uniforms. Soarin lagged behind the golden yellow pegasus, looking tired and bored with the entire situation.

“Did I really have to come along? This guy really freaks me out”, the azure pegasus pouted.

“Oh stop being a brat Soarin, I wanted company and you need to know about these sorts of things. What if I get injured and you have to do this? Besides if I remember right they sell those pies you like so much here, if you tough it out like a stallion I’ll buy you one”, she flipped her fiery mane as she spoke.

“I’ll do it for the pie but that doesn’t mean I’ll like it”

“Come on, you might even get to know him and be friends”

“You just don’t get cause you’re a mare, he has this weird pressure coming off him… the guys have a bunch of stories about him. I don’t know if any of ‘em are true but I don’t think I want to be around somepony who can fight chimeras… I don’t even know what those are but they don’t sound friendly”

“I’m not asking you to be his best friend but at least act professional”, she began walking faster and Soarin scrambled to catch up.

Inside the group of friends was trying to process what they had just heard. How much was true and how much was fallacy, but they were sure that the Wonderbolts had business with their friend.

“He fights chimeras? That’s so cool!!... Twilight what are chimeras?”, Rainbow Dash asked.

“They’re big creatures, the head and body of a lion or big cat, with the horns and head of a goat, and a snake for a tail. They breathe fire; there aren’t any around here but they’re pretty prominent in other countries, even a couple in the less populated parts of Equestria.”

“Woah! That’s awesome!”, Rainbow Exclaimed again.

“So in addition ta bein’a traveler, good with kids, smart as a whip, havin’ medals, he wrassles giant fire breathin’ critters… that still doesn’t make any sense!”, Applejack sat down in a huff and tried to put the pieces together.

“What are we all talking about?”, Pinkie blurted, scaring everyone in the room half to death.

“Pinkie? Where did you? How did you? Never mind I’m better off not knowing”, Twilight surrendered.

“Let’s not jump to conclusions, maybe they were talking about somepony else?”, Rarity suggested.

“In that case let’s follow them!”, Rainbow Dash.

“I don’t think…”, Fluttershy mumbled.

“Yeah, we could follow ‘em and figure his job by watchin’ what they do”, Applejack joined in.

“That isn’t a very good…”, Fluttershy mumbled.

“Normally I’d be opposed but I really would like to know how he was able to afford such an extravagant home”, with that they took off after the Wonderbolt duo.

They stuck to the shadows while following the duo. They neared Sweet Apple Acres then quickly shifted directions to face the large pegasus’s house. The mild brush around them thinned as they approached and they were forced to share a single bush for cover.

“I told you they were going to his house”, Rainbow Dash whispered, as the Wonderbolts waited for someone to answer the door.

There came a noise from inside the house and the door slowly opened to reveal a tall pale stallion. He was missing his signature coat and scarf so they were able to clearly see his face. Soarin broke into a nervous smile and Spitfire remained in her normal professionalism.

“Sir, Captain Spitfire of the Wonderbolts here on official business…”, Bo seemed unmoved by her declaration. “Uh… we’ve come to…”

“I thought I told you to relax around me? *sigh* Come in and have a seat”, he opened the door and waved them in.

As soon as the two pegasi enter the group raced toward the windows, barely peering over them at the goings on inside. Bo disappeared into the next room as the two sat down and they grew nervous in the strange house, struggling to get comfortable.

“You said this would be a short trip! ‘We’ll just be in and out’ you said, now we’re in this guy’s house. When we’re done here you owe me at least three pies”, Soarin crossed his forelegs and began to pout.

“I’m sorry, it’s my fault. Every time I come to him he tells me to loosen up and he gets upset if I don’t”

“He tells you to loosen up? Maybe he’s not so bad”

Bo returned with two steaming mugs in hoof and put them in front of the duo on the coffee table, “Drink”

They tentatively took the mugs and drank the green-brown liquid. Surprisingly it was sweet and had a strange aroma.

“It’s my own blend of tea; now let’s try this again”

“Okay you win. Hey Bo, it’s Spitfire got anything for me?”

Bo eased back into his normal smile, “Yes, I have exactly what you’re looking for”, he got up and went up the stairs.

“Woah, a stallion is finally able to tame the mighty Spitfire. This guy is something else”, Soarin chuckled.

“He hasn’t tamed me… why are you making me sound like a wild animal?!”

“Have you seen yourself when you’re mad? Might as well be”

Spitfire’s cheeks reddened in embarrassment, “Look I’m sorry about losing my temper and I just have a lot of respect for him; he’s as old as we are but he’s been working and helping the Wonderbolts before you or me even tried out, you know when we were just kids?”

“Wow, geez he’s been working that long? Can’t imagine working all that time”

“You can barely imagine working now”

“Hey! I’m a really hard worker, how else do you think I got to be the fastest stallion in Equestria?”, he said proudly.

“All that hot air must make you lighter, so you fly faster”

“Grr… five pies!! No exceptions!!”

Suddenly the door burst open and in fell a pile of six ponies. They all looked at each other before getting up and trying desperately to explain why they were intruding.

“It’s that mare from the gala!”, Soarin called. Rainbow Dash grew excited but was passed over in favor of Applejack. “Yeah you sold me the pie! Do you have anymore? Captain owes me five and I’ll pay for five more”, he stared hungrily at the mare.

“Uh sure… not on me but you stop by the farm and I’ll git you some fresh ones”

“Captain are we done? Can I please go get my pies?”

“Wait for…”, Spitfire began.

“Huh…”, Bo began, “if I knew I’d be having more guests I would’ve made a meal”, he came back down, with a scroll in hoof, “This one should work for you, no creatures, or unnatural forces, just some challenging terrain”, he smiled.

“Okay, I’ve had it up to here with this investigation”, Rainbow belted, “Bo! What’s your job? What do you do for a living?”

“Oh that’s what you wanted to know?”, all eyes turned to Pinkie Pie, “He’s a map maker!”

“What?!”, they all grumbled in unison.

“Yea, that’s why I always travel so much. I travel to finish and make maps, usually for Celestia. She asks me to act as an ambassador and cultural expert when I’m overseas because I learn a lot about foreign cultures when I’m making maps. The natives really help when I travel, some of the nicest ponies and creatures I’ve ever met were in Zebrica”, he moved to the medals on his shelf, blowing dust off it and giving it to Twilight.

“For fostering friendship between countries through cultural understanding…”

“We come to him every now and again to get the maps of some places that have tricky flying trails, you know for practice”, Spitfire added.

“So that’s a map”, Fluttershy asked.

“Yeah, one of my better one’s if I do say so myself”, Bo added.

“Speaking of which, how much do we owe you?”, Spitfire turned back around.

“It’s on me as long as you keep our deal”

“… Fine”, Spitfire grumbled.

They left leaving Bo with only Pinkie and Fluttershy.

“So how did Pinkie know about your job?”

“Easy silly, I come over here all the time to hear stories about the places he goes. Oh oh one time he told me about a place he went to where they make these tiny cakes with lots of sugar and strawberries”, she said excitedly.

“Are there any strange animals out there?”, Fluttershy asked, interest peaked.

“More than I can possibly count, have a seat, I’ll make some tea and snacks, then I’ll tell you all about the places I’ve been”

Author's Note:

Been a while since I did this, been sidetracked with different stories but I feel this one came at a good time.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment