• Published 18th Nov 2013
  • 2,915 Views, 50 Comments

The Untold Past of the Royal Family - PrinceoftheEclipse



Why don't we know more about our princesses' past? Why do they always seem to be a secret? Twilight Sparkle believes she has just found another secret of theirs. And this one seems to be more about their family.

  • ...
3
 50
 2,915

Can You Find Truth Too Early?

The three alicorns were at a loss for words. A ‘loved one’ had not only restored all the lost books, but has claimed to have a connection to Eclipse. They looked over the letter again and again; it was in the same hand writing that the first note was written that they originally thought was from Discord. However, they noticed this was written in gold ink and was far too formal of writing to have come from Discord (unless nice handwriting was chaotic). The room was filled with silence until Twilight decided to speak (this may take a while). “Uh, Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, do you have ANY idea who this letter is from? After all it says that is letter is from a loved one of yours. Is there anyone in the royal family that I haven’t met yet? And what did they mean ‘your memories will continue to return?’” ,Twilight rambled.

“Twilight, Twilight, calm down. Breathe… good. Now to answer your questions…sigh…I don’t know how. I have too many questions myself that I cannot even think straight. Someone so close to us that we consider family… who cares so deeply about Eclipse…and has enough magic power to slip notes past us without us even noticing. I haven’t the slightest clue who this could be,” Celestia answered.

“Could it possibly be Discord?’ Luna asked, ‘He does seem to be the type to slip clues like this. Not to mention he has been ‘considerably’ helpful as of late, even if his methods seem questionable.”

“That is what I initially thought so we won’t rule him out of possibilities, but I don’t think this is Discord’s doing,” Celestia answered. The three sat in silent thought for what seemed like eternity. Everypony was thinking of everyone that could be possible of such a description.

“How about you two sleep on it, it is close to the time that I raise the moon,” Luna suggested, ‘perhaps after a good night’s sleep our minds can focus. After all, we’ve had a lot of information thrown at us today.” Celestia was about to protest that her sister required sleep as well, after all she had been up all day and the previous night. “Don’t worry about me, sister; I am wide awake right now and I have a few things that I need to sort out right during my duties tonight. I will catch some rest tomorrow morning while you two are still waking up.” Celestia sighed in defeated and submitted to her sister’s request.

“Very well. Twilight, will you be able to join with us again tomorrow? I would be glad to have you continue this journey with us,” Celestia asked.

“Of course,’ Twilight responded, ‘would it be alright if I invited my friends to join us? Or is this a far too personal event?” The two sisters looked at each other to see any sign of disapproval. When they saw none, Celestia simply responded, “I see no reason why not. We consider you all a part of our family anyway; you deserve to understand everything about that family.”

With that said, Twilight nodded and headed to her room in the castle that she stays in during her time in Canterlot. After she had gone, the two sisters sealed up the room and made their way to the tower where they raise the sun and moon. As they walked, a question began to enter into Celestia’s mind. “Luna can I ask you something?”

“Of course, what is it?”

“…when Starlight Glimmer had us trade places that one day and you helped me with her dream…how did you know Daybreaker’s name?” Luna stopped in place, her eyes slightly bigger than usual. Seeing as she wasn’t getting a quick response, Celestia stopped and decided to explain why she was asking this.

“I knew her name because she introduced herself when I first entered the dream, but she never said it again, not even when you came into the dream as well. And yet, you seemed somewhat familiar with who she was. Had you seen her in other dreams?” Luna sighed and seeing no way around this, she decided to give in.

“There are only two other dreamscapes that I have seen her before; one of which was mine,” Luna said with grief in her voice. Celestia felt a little sadness rise as she heard her sister saw her that was even for just a min, but it was understandable based off their history.

“And…the other?”

“You know, it’s actually very strange, because I have no idea.”

“Strange how? I thought you could always tell just by looking at the dreams, even without going in them.”

“That’s the strange part. Normally dreams depict themselves to me as a third person image, but this one is a first person image. And then when I try to enter and help or see whose dream it is, the dream rejects me. I pass through it as if it’s not even there. It’s been one of great mysteries since my return. And the one other strange thing, it never changes.” Celestia began walking again with Luna right behind her so they could be on time, but began to think upon her sister’s words. After the sun had set and the moon had been raised, Celestia turned to her sister one more time for the night.

“Luna, I want to give you my magic for tonight. See if you can use it to enter that dream you’re having trouble with,” she said with determination.

“W...why?” Luna responded surprised?

“I have a feeling that it is connected to our memories somehow. Maybe it could also explain why Eclipse needs to be remembered now. I am still curious about that note as well. It spoke as if it suggested that Eclipse is still alive, but…that’s not possible.” Luna looked at her sister with deep concern; she hasn’t been this determined for answers for over a millennia. I guess forgetting about your baby brother can seem like betrayal, and she doesn’t want to have those feelings ever again. If there is some source of information about her brother that she needs to know, Celestia was determined to find it.

“Very well Tia, I will. However, I will surely need some rest with the night is done,” Luna responded. Celestia nodded and began to poor all her magic power into Luna. As she did so, golden yellow aura surrounded them and flowed into Luna through her horn and Celestia’s cutie mark began to fade. After it was finished, Celestia walked down to her chambers while Luna prepared to enter the dream realm. Before Celestia fell asleep, she thought of two other people who could be their mystery pony. “Could it possibly be Elsa? But, she hasn’t spoken to us since she received news of his death. Anna?....No way.”

Luna sat in silence for a moment, trying to balance this new borrowed power within her. After about 30 min Luna closed her eyes and with her blue magical aura, she entered into the dream realm. When she opened her eyes, the stars in the sky were replaced by the dreams of every sleeping creature. Even with the added quest from her sister, she still had her duty to fulfill tonight, so she began to search for any nightmares among her subjects. However, as she did this she kept an eye open for that mysterious dream. As she searched she found herself confused at the lack of any screams or cowering ponies.

“Huh, I have yet to see a single nightmare tonight. This is most unusual; at least one pony should be in need of my help,” Luna commented (she still talks to herself). And then she heard it; that familiar laugh followed by magic energy blasts. She flew toward the sound dodging dreams as she flew. After no time at all she found the dream she was looking for. Both Daybreaker and Nightmare Moon engaged in battle, all of Equestria in ruins as they fight, yet no cowering pony of whose dream it is. She watched for a little longer and saw how the perspective of the dream shifted around and seemed to get closer to the fighting alicorns. Before she knew, the alicorns stopped fighting and looked toward Luna (or whoever was looking at them). The corrupted princesses seemed to be talking to the mysterious character, but no words were heard. Then out of nowhere two enormous black dragon claws snatched them out of the sky. Both struggled in the powerful hands then a thunderous roar was heard from all around, causing the entire world around them to shake. Then to Luna’s shock and horror, the unseen dragon ate both of the sisters. Luna gasped; what had she just seen? She had never seen that happen before. And as if nothing could surprise her more, she heard a heavy voiced crying coming from the dream. Needing no other reason to interfere, she charged up her horn with all the power she now had and tried to unlock the dream.

Unlike her previous attempts in the past, it opened and she entered in.

She found herself in a vast field that once had been beautiful, brought to desolation. The sky was blood red with the moon in front of the sun; a Solar Eclipse. Luna surveyed her surroundings, looking for the dragon and the one crying. She turned around and found that the one crying… was the dragon. His claws over his eyes, while ‘tears’ fell down his long snout (his tears are liquid lava). Luna’s eyes grew enormous as she recognized this dragon, and with this recognition came a huge headache filled with a lot memories flowing into her mind. She landed on the ground, walked toward the dragon and examined him further. His scales were like hot coals with hot lava flowing between them. He had 5 horns; two that came from the back of his head, two under the first two but curved forward like a ram’s, and the final one was like that of a unicorn. The pupils of his eyes were literally miniature suns, forever burning. His underbelly scales seemed to be made from the finest and strongest metals, but with a hot forge burning inside it. And finally his wings were seemed to be miles long, but you couldn’t see the wings exactly. You could see the muscles and bone structure of the wings, but instead of leathery ones, the flaps were made of the night sky.

“Eclipse? Is that…you?” Luna asked with hesitation and disbelief in her voice. The dragon stopped crying and raised his head. He smiled and the dragon then burst into flames. When the flames died, a grown male alicorn with a dark grey coat and mane made of flames stood before her. His hoofs seemed to be also made of those same white flames.

“Hello my dear sister. You have no idea how good it is to see you,” he said with a cool formality. Luna was too much in shock and head pain to say anything in response.

“I wish we could talk more, but I must go. I feel bad that you will not remember this conversation. But you remember these words, ‘I love you and Celestia so much’. Farewell.” His eyes and horn began to glow white and he prepared his spell.

“Wait what?!!! No, Eclipse wait…!” Luna tried to shout, but before she could finish she found herself waking up with a gasp in the exact place she was when the night started.

Author's Note:

Hello Everypony, I'm back again with a new chapter. Sorry this one is shorter, but this is a little part 1 of 2 before we return to the past's stories. The next part should be out soon.
Hope you have a wonderful day and May the Spirit be with you.

Comments ( 1 )

In any case it seems we're getting closer to the actual answers we've been looking for, although there is still some way to go.

Looking forward to the next chapter. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment