• Published 18th Nov 2013
  • 2,915 Views, 50 Comments

The Untold Past of the Royal Family - PrinceoftheEclipse



Why don't we know more about our princesses' past? Why do they always seem to be a secret? Twilight Sparkle believes she has just found another secret of theirs. And this one seems to be more about their family.

  • ...
3
 50
 2,915

Untold Past About An Untold Family

Twilight had spent most of her sleeping hours in the Canterlot archives since she became a princess. Yes, her library back in Ponyville had more books than almost anywhere, but the archives had at least ten times that many. When she first set foot into it, she didn’t know where to start, so she thought how little she really knew about Equestrian history (thanks to both Discord and Sombra rising again). While she was looking for the next book along the history section, she tripped over the last thing she would expect; a tile. For some reason this tile was a little higher than the ones surrounding it. Twilight let her curiosity get the better of her and began to levitate the tile off the ground. Where the tile once was, was a set of stairs that led only into darkness. Twilight was very interested in this sudden discovery, she may find more about history than she meant to today.

As she walked down the creepy stairs, it began to get darker as she went further in. It then came to her mind that she hadn’t lit up her horn yet. When she did, she was even more surprised than when she found the secret stairs. She had stumbled upon a secret library, with books and scrolls that looked as old (if not older) than both Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. Out of all the books she encountered, she found one that caught her interest more than any book she had ever read before.

It was on the highest shelf and hard to see with the other books surrounding it. The book wasn’t too big, and it wasn’t too fancy looking either. The book was black, and really dusty from what she could tell. With her wings she flew to book and picked it up carefully with her magic, who knows how old this book was, it could fall to dust any second. As she opened to the first page, all that was written was “Dedicated to my dear brother and sister: Luna and Eclipse.”Twilight instantly knew this book was written by her dear mentor; Princess Celestia, but one question instantly came to her mind “I know Luna, but who is this Eclipse?”

She then realized she never read the cover of the book, she turned the page back to see the cover. The cover was too filthy to even read, so she blew the dust off of the book. No, not dust, she could smell the scent of smoke coming off the book. The book had been covered in ashes, this only peeked Twilight’s interest even more than it had already been. The title cover brought chills down Twilight’s spine; the picture was of three alicorns with the sun and the moon above them: one white with an aurora like mane, one dark blue with a mane that was like that of the night sky, and the final was dark gray (almost black) with a mane that was so fiery red that it almost hurt to look at it. The book was titled, “The Story of Our Family.”

Normally, Twilight would usually read the book to see just who Prince Eclipse is, but since her interest was so high, she wanted to get straight from the authors own mouth. Another thing she usually would have done is that she usually would have teleported to the throne room, but she had so many questions going through her head, she couldn’t concentrate on even the simplest of spells. After only a few minutes, but what seem like an hour to Twilight, she finally reached the throne room. There sat the Sun princess herself along with her sister the Moon Princess; Celestia and Luna. Celestia was a little shocked to see Twilight rushing to her totally out of breath, she slowly asked, “Are you alright, Twilight?”

“Yes I’m fine, I just have a few questions for you,” Twilight replied, still breathing hard.

“No Twilight, I’m not going to show you how to use sun magic.”

“What, where did you get that from?”

Celestia blushed, now embarrassed of her sudden accusation of her student wanting to learn how to use sun magic. Sunset Shimmer had once asked her to make her a princess, but since Twilight was already a princess; she feared the worst. Luna chuckled at her sister’s actions, but decided to say nothing about it. Celestia decided to change the subject and answer her student’s question.

“Uh, never mind, what would you like to ask me Twilight?”

“Actually it’s a question for both of you.”

“Oh, alright, we are all ears.”

“I was down in the archives again and I came across this really dark looking book.”

Celestia started to have worries about what dark book she had found, but she decided to have the benefit of the doubt and listen to her student. “What exactly art thou trying to ask, Twilight Sparkle?” Princess Luna asked.

“Who is Eclipse?”

Both princesses turned to stone at her question; they had not heard that question for so many centuries that they were in deep shock. If Twilight didn’t know any better she would have thought that they really had turned into statues, but she just waited patiently for them to get out of their trance. After coming out of her daze, Celestia sighed. “Show me the book you found, we will explain everything.”

Twilight handed over the book with her magical grip on it, only to have both Celestia and Luna grabbing at the book with their own. They didn’t fight over the book, together as if one pony, they brought it down so they could both get a look at it. Twilight’s concentration and focus was back into full gear, she was focusing so hard on the princesses; that she noticed a tear had started forming in the corner of both of their eyes. She was a little hesitant to ask, “Is everything alright, Princess?”

“Twilight, I never told you about this because it was too emotional for me to talk about, just like I never wanted to talk to you (or anypony) about Luna. It would just bring more pain, I couldn’t tell you before,” Celestia said holding back a few tears.
“Sister, please, all is forgiven. Thou did only what was right for our subjects, you saved not only them, but Us as well. Twilight, We believe it is time we told thee everything about our family, including our mother,” Luna added.

Twilight listened very carefully, for she knew that this was a very touchy subject for both of the princesses. She was ready for them to start telling their side of this story, but was surprised when Celestia spoke up. “I believe it would be best if we told you straight from the book. It will be a lot better than if we just tell you in our own words. Some things in this book I have forgotten throughout the years.” Luna was a little worried; she did not want her sister to start balling like a little filly while in the middle of reading. But she had faith in her sister; Celestia was in many ways more mature in these kinds of things than even Luna was. Celestia then began to read out of the book she had written herself; carefully she turned to the first page of the first chapter titled; “When Our Family Was Complete.”


Many years ago, back when Equestria was still young, it was ruled by the alicorn; Queen Lauren. Her snow white coat and crimson red mane, she kind of stood out among the other ponies. She always loved to make her subjects happy, and even when she didn’t mean to; she brought joy where ever she went. Then there were the two princesses; Celestia with her shiny white coat and pink mane (being only 10 years old), and Luna with her dark blue coat and baby blue mane (only 5 years). Celestia always having a more mature personality and love for making ponies happy (like her mother), while Luna on the other hand; she had a thing for sneaking off and having fun during the night.

Every now and then, Queen Lauren would go out on a nightly stroll through the forests that surrounded Canterlot. She loved going on her little walks, her only time to get away from her royal duties with some peace and quiet. She had no idea what she was going to find on this particular trip. Every night, she would always pass the apples trees that weren’t too far away; she would always want to have an apple freshly picked while she walked. As she entered the area where the apples started to appear, she heard the apple trees shaking out of control, she at first felt a little frightened. And when she got a little closer, she could also hear what sounded like tiny cries for help. Then when she flew up to see what was making all the noise, she felt like crying. There on one the branches, holding for dear life was a dark gray, red maned alicorn, scared out of his mind. Her Majesty immediately picked him up and carried him on her back, returning to the castle as quickly as possible. As soon as she got into the castle she quickly called out to one of the maids, “We’re going to need a miniature bed moved into Our room immediately!”

“Yes, Your Majesty,” the maid (her name is Feather Duster) replied.

As Feather Duster made her way to the queen’s bedroom, Celestia and Luna made their way down the stairs and into the main hall where their mother was. Celestia saw the expression on her mother’s face and she began to feel the worry coming from her mother. “What is Mother so scared for?” she thought. Luna was too busy trying to see what was hiding behind her mother’s wings. When Queen Lauren saw her daughters, she grew a joyous smile. She then folded her wings revealing the little gray alicorn trying his best to hide himself behind her back legs. She then addressed her daughters, “Girls, I would like you to meet your brand new brother. I just rescued him from the forests and the monsters that live in there.” Both of the princesses grew smiles that could rival that of a famous disappearing cat. Luna immediately tried to introduce herself to the little colt, “Hi, I’m Luna, I’m your new sister, what’s your name?!”

Little did she know that he was way too young to even say a word, and even if he could, he was way too scared to talk to anypony. Although, being able to see a friendly face did bring the young alicorn colt to smile. Celestia was super excited as well, though she was trying hard not to start jumping up and down in excitement. Instead she decided to talk to her mother, “What is his name, Mother?” she asked. This made Her Majesty think, he was way too young to remember any name that could’ve been given to him. So she decided, “I think I shall name him….” She couldn’t come up with a name; she already had Luna and Celestia, the sun and the moon. What could go with those too names? “What do you girls think I should name him?” she asked them.

“Oh, I know we can call him Nocturnal,” Luna said excitedly.

“How about Solar that seems like a great name” Celestia replied.

Then it hit Lauren, Sun and the Moon, what happens when you put them together? “I think I know what to call him. Let’s name him; Eclipse,” Lauren said happily. You would think the two sisters would be angry not having their name choices being used. Instead they loved the new name even better than the names they originally came up with. Once he heard his new name, Eclipse’s smile began to get wider, but his eyes were getting heavier. He slowly climbed onto his new mother’s back and began to fall asleep. Queen Lauren just smiled at him, “Alright girls, I think it’s time for all of us to go to sleep.”

They nodded, happy and unhappy at the same time. They were happy to have a new family member in the family, but unhappy that they couldn’t play with him longer tonight. But they listened to their mother and started toward their bedroom. As Queen Lauren entered into her bedroom, she noticed the new small bed prepared right next to hers. She carefully levitated him into his bed, pulling the covers over him as she gently placed him down. She just barely rescued him, but she already loved him. Eclipse was her son.


A year had gone by since the rescue of little Eclipse, and so had a year of magical training for both Celestia and Luna. They weren’t learning how to raise the sun and moon right off the bat; they need to know the basics before they learned the powerful spells. Both were naturals; Celestia was perfect at protective spells, while Luna was better at offensive spells. Eclipse was always present when his mother taught his sisters magic. Luna was his role model, the way she put all her effort into everything she did, and he wanted to be just like her.

One night, while the queen had gone on one of her strolls, Luna (being the night owl that she is), wanted to see the royal garden with moon light shining upon it. Luna just seemed to have a love of the night for some reason. The garden may have been beautiful, but it was also probably the most dangerous place in Canterlot. The garden was connected straight into the forests that was home to many dangerous creatures, giving them a place to come and go as they please (don’t worry the garden is fenced off from the rest of the town). Still, Luna wanted to go, Celestia decided to come along for sisterly support and protection. As Luna trotted through the garden loving every flower and plant she saw, she immediately stopped at her favorite flower: The Nocturnal Nightshade. She always loved see it in the night, because it glows a bright sapphire blue to complement its natural purple color during the night. Celestia just stood there with a smile on her face, happily watching her little sister dance around the garden.

All of a sudden, both of the princesses could hear a sound that was similar to a growl mixed with a snarl. Luna quickly rushed to her sister, while Celestia kept her eyes watching the forest entrance. They began to back up toward the giant oak tree that was the center piece of the garden. Then out of the forest opening a pack of timber wolves started piling by the dozens. They surrounded them from all sides, preventing any hopes of escape. Celestia, with no idea of what to do began to light up her horn. The light startled the beasts from the sudden glow from the young alicorn, but then they came to the conclusion that it was harmless and it meant no threat to them. Truth be told, Celestia could protect both her and her sister on her own, but she was so afraid that she couldn’t even conjure up the simplest of spells other than her light. Luna was too inexperienced to cast any spells that could do any effect to the wolves. And they couldn’t fly either; their wings were too young and small. They were doomed. As if right on cue, an alicorn with a crimson red mane came into the garden to protect the princesses, but it probably is not the alicorn you would expect to see.

Eclipse came into the garden, not knowing what was in the garden other than his two sisters. When he entered, he saw his sisters huddled by a tree, surrounded by animals, and with terrified expressions on their faces. He did not know exactly what was going on, but he knew one thing; his sisters need help, and he was mad at those things that were scaring his sisters. When his sisters had spotted him in the corner of their eyes, they quickly yelled, “No Eclipse, run for thine life, it’s not safe here!” The timber wolves then turned around to see what else had stumbled in on their eating time. And they charged at him, preparing to devour him quickly and effortlessly.

“NOOOOOOO!” Celestia and Luna yelled in unison, but it was too late. Too late for the timber wolves that is. Before they could even touch Eclipse, his body had burst into flames, not the bad way that you are probably thinking, more like a phoenix. But unlike the bird, he did not turn to ash; instead his body began to change. He body grew larger; his hooves grew claws, his skin grew scales, his tail more solid, spikes began to grow from his back, and his wings were no longer feathered; instead they were more like those of a bat. Finally, his ears grew longer, and two horns sprouted from the back of his head, while his teeth came to a point that was sharper than any sword. Eclipse had become something that could protect his sisters; he had become an all powerful dragon. Both Celestia and Luna were dumbfounded at what had just happened to their brother. He was easily 3 times the size of the timber wolves, and a lot more ferocious looking. His scales were as dark as night; with what looked like a star in each scale, his spikes were as red as the sun, three horns coming out of his head (including his alicorn one), and his teeth glowed with moonlight shining upon them. But that wasn’t the scariest part about him, his eyes; where pupils should have been, there was a flame burning with all the anger and hatred against those who hurt his siblings. He then let out a roar that sounded like a battle cry, one that could be heard across all of Equestria.

And then the battle began, Eclipse started with a blast of hot red flames that incinerated any of the wolves that were foolish enough to stand in its direction. He then swung his powerful claws against any that were remotely close to his sisters. The alpha of the pack decided to try his luck and attack the beast. He swung his claws across the dragon’s left eye, he then sealed his fate. The attack did make contact, left a claw mark across his face, but it seemed to have no effect on this dragon. Instead it seemed to make him more aggressive than he already was. After that, the alpha timber wolf was crushed within Eclipse’s giant claws, and then burned to a crisp from Eclipse’s fire breath. Realizing they stood no chance against this “unique” dragon, the wolves retreated back into the woods as fast as their survival instincts would let them.

When they had finally fled from the scene, Eclipse turned to his sisters, giving a small smile that even in his dragon form seemed loving. The princesses realized that Eclipse was still Eclipse, no matter what form he was in. As they began walking towards him for a hug to say thank you, they saw him beginning to be choked by a familiar red aura around his neck. The source of the power they knew very well: Mother. As she came into view, you could see that her eyes were glowing from anger and power. Lauren did not know that her son had transformed into this monstrous dragon, she believed that a dragon had come and burned her garden and was about to devour two of her babies. Both Celestia and Luna were in so much shock, they could move or even speak to defend their brother. Eclipse struggled against the spell as hard as he could, as his body was being pinned to a tree. “HOW DARE THEE ATTACK OUR DAUGHTERS!” the queen yelled in her highest Canterlot voice.

Thanks to all his struggling, Eclipse was able to get enough breath in his lungs to yell one word at his mother, “MAMA!” All the anger in Queen Lauren had dissolved, her eyes ceased to glow, and she was in a loss for words. What she heard was not a battle cry, nor was it an intimidating roar, what she heard the cry of her baby crying for her to save him. She slowly loosened her grip, just enough for him to breathe more easily. Then she noticed something, even though there was fire in his eyes; there were tears pouring from them down his face. “Mother,” Celestia yelled, “That’s Eclipse, please don’t kill him!”

After a quick second of shock, she immediately released him from her magical grip. As soon as Eclipse landed on the ground, his body began to change back into his tiny, dark gray, crimson red maned alicorn body. From the amount of magic, and the toe that the dragon form had on his body, he was utterly exhausted, and after a few more tears he fell down; fast asleep. Queen Lauren quickly, but carefully picked him up and cradled him with her wings; she wanted him to have the softest bed available.

“What happened in my absence?” she asked very curiously. Celestia and Luna explained everything to the best of their young filly abilities. From when they first came into the garden, to when Eclipse transformed, all the way until now. The queen was at a loss of words, she had no idea of what to say. How on this wild world had Eclipse turned into a dragon? She couldn’t even do that, and she knew everything about magic, it was never even thought to be possible. She looked at him; he looked so young, peaceful and innocent.

“My little sweat heart,” she said, “You were only protecting your sister, huh?” You could never imagine him being one of the most deadly creatures that could walk the earth. She decided to let it not bother, he only did it to protect his sisters, and he was still the cute baby alicorn on the inside. One day she would figure it out, but for now she was to love and protect him. She had no idea he would become one of the most powerful beings in Equestria, along with his all powerful sisters as well.


Twilight was in awe, she had never even thought about the mother of the princesses; let alone their brother. She looked closely at her mentor, and noticed that she had a small grin on her face. So did Luna, both seemed happy talking about their past; when both had their family all together. Then she decided to break the ice, “So what happened after that? Why could he become that dragon?” she asked.

“You only have one of the books Twilight,” Celestia exclaimed. “I believe the answer you seek lies within the other books.”

“What do you mean, there’s more?!”

“A lot more, hidden deep in the secret archives where only me and Luna can find them. Come we shall go and retrieve them, I actually want to read them, it will be like reliving it all over again,” Celestia said already walking toward the direction of the Canterlot archives. Luna quickly started following her sister, Twilight on the other hand hesitated. She was a little surprised to see her teacher so eager to go and read about her past, she then started following her fellow princesses. She was so excited to finally learn about her dearest teacher’s past and more importantly; about her teacher’s younger brother: Prince Eclipse himself.

Author's Note:

ALRIGHT, got my first fanfiction done, yay. Alright everypony, thanks a ton for taking time to read this. I hope you guys like the series I've created. If you guys have advise for me, feel free to tell me (not too harsh though). I finally have some free time, so I'll be able to publish a lot faster than I though I would be. Hope you like it, and don't forget to love and tolerate. And yes, I did paint the cover art.