• Published 18th Nov 2013
  • 2,915 Views, 50 Comments

The Untold Past of the Royal Family - PrinceoftheEclipse



Why don't we know more about our princesses' past? Why do they always seem to be a secret? Twilight Sparkle believes she has just found another secret of theirs. And this one seems to be more about their family.

  • ...
3
 50
 2,915

Can You Make It Snow For Me?

Eclipse sat in his room, half way asleep. As he waited, he thought to himself, “How much longer till she raises the moon? Elsa is probably bored out of her mind.” As these questions went through his head, he heard hoof steps outside in the hallway. He carefully peaked outside his door to find both of his sisters heading outside to lower the sun and raise the moon. As he watched through the crack in his door, Luna glanced behind her.

“Eclipse, did you move out of Mother’s room? You’ve finally grown up, first a marefriend and now you’ve moved out,” Luna said teasingly. Eclipse’s face, now with the door more open, was just as red as his mane again.

“S…Sister, don’t say that so loud. Remember there are others in the castle now. They’re probably trying to sleep,” Eclipse said trying to keep her quiet. Luna’s face went from a gleeful smile to a dark frown. Her face slowly looked to the ground, with a look of depression on her face.

“L...Luna, I didn’t mean it like…” Eclipse tried to explain.

“Good night, brother,” Luna said coldly, cutting him off. As she walked down the hall after her sister, Eclipse could only feel sorrow. He knew how his sister felt about her night, having everypony sleep as she puts her heart and soul into her night. He would apologize later, but for now he needed to go to the garden. What kind of friend would he be if he left a mare waiting?

As Eclipse entered into the enormous garden, he didn’t see Elsa there so he decided to sit on one of the benches. As he sat down waiting, he closed his eyes and a few “memories” came back to him. He could see two fillies cowering together, surrounded by timber wolves. For some reason he felt anger and fear at the same time. Then all of a sudden, the wolves turned their attention to him. And his body began to grow, his muscles tearing then rebuilding themselves. He could feel fire burning inside him, the smoke escaping his mouth. He was scared; scared of what he had become and what everypony thought of him. As he dwelt on the images popping inside his head, he didn’t even notice that Elsa had finally come into the garden.

“Eclipse,” she called out to him. At the sound of his name, his head launched up. When he looked at her, he was in awe. Elsa wore a black head band in her mane, as well as her navy blue dress from before. Both made her look beautiful, but what was the most stunning was her mane. With the moon up in the sky, her mane glowed as if it were made of pure moon light.

“Did you invite me out here to play, or so you could just stare at me?” Elsa asked while blushing.

“Oh…sorry, you just look s…so p...pretty. Alright you ready to go?” Eclipse asked in return. Both were blushing, but Elsa responded with a nod and a soft smile. They walked around the garden seeing all the many different kinds of plants and flowers. Elsa soon got a little excited and began to run in front of Eclipse. It was like she started playing tag without even announcing that they were playing it. As she ran a little farther, she instantly stopped when she noticed there was another pony in the garden

“Eclipse, there’s another pony here,” Elsa whispered kind of loudly. As Eclipse finally caught up trying to catch his breath, he saw the pony Elsa was talking about. There was a leaf green Earth pony with a dark red mane watering the plants. She had a little filly, the same age as Eclipse and Elsa, by her side that had an orange coat with a sky blue mane. Eclipse just smiled when he saw them.

“Hey Rose Petal, hey Honey Suckle,” Eclipse called out. Elsa looked at him with disbelief. The two mares looked up at the sound of their names and saw Prince Eclipse waving at them.

“Hello Prince Eclipse, what are you doing here? And who is this mare you have with you?” Rose Petal asked in a super sweet voice.

“This is Princess Elsa of Arendelle; we just wanted to explore the garden a little,” Prince Eclipse answered happily. “Elsa this is our royal gardener; Rose Petal and her daughter; Honey Suckle,” Eclipse introduced. Elsa bowed her head towards the two Earth ponies.

“It’s a pleasure to meet both of you,” Elsa said with a nervous smile on her face.

“The pleasure is ours princess,” Rose said with Honey Suckle quietly waving back at them. They soon said their goodbyes; Eclipse and Elsa left the two Earth ponies to do their business.

“Eclipse, why didn’t Honey Suckle say anything, was it something I said?” Elsa said a little worried.

“Oh, Honey is a little quiet. She doesn’t talk much until she feels completely comfortable around you,” Eclipse explained. The two soon stumbled upon a little duck pond, untouched for quite a while.

“Eclipse, watch this,” Elsa said with excitement. Eclipse watched curiously as his friend walked toward the pond. She set one hoof on the water, and it quickly began to freeze up. Soon the entire pond was a decent size ice skating rink. Eclipse’s face lit up with pure joy, but Elsa wasn’t done. She pointed her horn toward Eclipse’s hooves creating ice skates around them. She took the lead and began to skate with only her hooves.

“Come on,” Elsa said cheerfully. Eclipse had never skated in his life, so he carefully moved onto the ice trying his hardest not to fall. Elsa skated to his side trying to help him from falling. Even with Elsa’s help he still fell once or twice, maybe ten times. Eventually, he was soon skating across the entire pond. Elsa stayed close by, because she didn’t want to see her friend fall anymore than he had to. After they had been skating for a while, Elsa got an idea. She skated to center of the pond and began to focus her magic. Eclipse looked both excited and panicky, since he still wasn’t able to keep his balance. With little to no effort, Elsa had created snowball that glowed with her icy blue aura. She then threw it into the air, and it exploded causing the area around the pond to start snowing.

“This is incredible,” Eclipse said softly as he watched in amazement. Both slowly skated off the frozen pond, and Eclipse’s skates almost instantly melted, (well they kind of evaporated, but Eclipse didn’t know how to describe it).

“Hey Eclipse, do you want to build a snowman?” Elsa asked joyfully. Eclipse could only smile, he loved building snowmen. He nodded with a little too much excitement, but Elsa could only giggle.

“Ok, but no magic it’s more fun that way,” Elsa stated. She loved doing it the Earth pony way, especially since her sister was an Earth pony.

“Alright, let’s get started,” Eclipse said agreeing with her. Both ponies began making their large snowballs, using their heads as well as their front hooves. They were having so much fun; they didn’t realize they were making their snowballs a lot bigger than they wanted. When they finally came together with their snowballs, they both burst into laughter. Both snowballs were near the same and both were twice the size of the two foals. After they both stopped laughing, they came to a solution. Why not make it a snow giant? Both ponies quickly went to work as they made a few more giant snowballs (nine in total).

“Ok, we can use magic for this part,” Elsa said. Eclipse nodded in agreement, there was no way two young foals could lift even one of those giant snowballs. They placed the first two side by side for his legs. Then they both concentrated on one snowball placing it on top of their first two. They then brought one they purposely made bigger than the rest above the last one. As soon they place two big sticks in the top right and left corner of the largest snowball. They then connected two snowballs using the sticks (those are his shoulders). They next two were large enough to connect to the shoulders and still be touching the ground. So they both rolled one to connect to one of his shoulders. After that they looked at how many they had left, only one. They both levitated it to the top, connecting it with a stick. He now kind of looked like either a snow gorilla or snow ogre. The two didn’t care much on how he looked like, now they were deciding on a name for their new friend.

“Hmmmm, what would be a good name for him?” Eclipse asked.

“I don’t know, how about Tarzan since he looks like a gorilla,” Elsa suggested.

“We can’t give him a name that’s already taken.”

“Hmmmm, now that I look at him, he kind of looks like a bunch of giant marshmallows all together.”

“You know what, you’re right.”

“Let’s call him Marshmallow,” Elsa said with joy.

“Marshmallow looks like a giant bodyguard,” Eclipse added.

“Marshmallow the royal bodyguard, let’s make him our bodyguard,” Elsa said. Eclipse went up to the giant and hugged one of his legs.

“I love you Marshmallow, you’re now my newest friend. And friends protect each other, you and I can protect Elsa,” Eclipse said to his giant snowy friend. Marshmallow couldn’t talk for himself; luckily Elsa came over and began to talk for him.

“And me and Elsa can protect you,” Elsa said in a slightly deeper voice. Both laughed and began walk back to the castle. As they walked, Elsa couldn’t help but think about what Eclipse said back there.

“Hey Eclipse, did you mean what you said back there?” asked the unicorn princess.

“What do mean?” Eclipse asked back not sure what she was talking about.

“When you said you would protect me, did you mean it?”

“Oh, of course I did. I would always protect you, that’s what friends do.”

“Do you promise?”

“Only if you promise to protect me too,” Eclipse responded with a smile, “and why do you ask?”

“It’s just that…other than my sister, I’ve never had a friend before,” Elsa said with a shy face looking down.

“Well guess what, neither have I; I only have my sisters too. I’ve never quite been the most social of ponies.”

“Well then, how about we make a hoovie promise. To protect each other; physically, mentally, and emotionally,” Elsa suggested. Eclipse grew a huge smile on his face and nodded. Both used their right front hoof, and shook one another’s. Then they used their magic to create a dark orange and icy blue bow to wrap around their hooves; sealing their promise. And both were determined to keep their promise. As the two separated into their own rooms, somepony was waiting for Princess Elsa. Or should I say some griffin. Talon was waiting next to Elsa’s door, with a smug look on his face.

“Hello Princess Elsa, I do not believe I got to meet you earlier. I am Prince Talon, prince of the Griffin Kingdom,” Talon said introducing himself.

“Why, hello, it is a pleasure to meet you,” Elsa said not really meaning it. Anna had told her all about the two bratty griffin princes.

“I’m sure it is, and I bet it would also be a pleasure to be my mare friend as well. You are so much prettier than that Celestia,” Talon said both trying to flirt with Elsa and insult Celestia at the same time.

“Uh, I’m sorry, but I’m not interested, we just met,” Elsa responded plainly. She slowly walked into her room, leaving the griffin prince dumbstruck. As Talon heard the click of her door, he stormed off toward his room. “If she won’t willfully become my mare friend, then I’ll just have Mother and Father arrange for her to be my betrothed. I always get what I want, and I want her,” he thought to himself. (I know he is one snobbishly weird bird).



When Eclipse entered into his room, he was a little caught off guard. There in his room, was the princess of the night, his sister, Princess Luna. She was sitting in the middle of the room with a gleeful smile on her face.

“Hello brother, have a fun time with Princess Elsa?” she asked teasingly.

“H…how did you know about that?” Eclipse responded back with a nervous expression.

“Come on brother, I have to raise the moon and put the stars in the sky. Did you really think I wouldn’t see you, especially when you were in my favorite spot?” Eclipse instantly looked down, now blushing more than ever. He decided to try and change the subject, and do what he intended to do before.

“L…Luna, I’m sorry for what I said earlier. I didn’t mean it like that, I…I just didn’t want everypony to tease me about my new friend,” Eclipse explained apologizing to his sister. Luna was taken aback; she did not expect that for his response. She had forgotten all about that, and yet it bugged her brother with just the thought that he had made her sad or mad.

“Eclipse, there is nothing for you to apologize for. I forgot all about that, I just overreacted. Besides, I know that you will always love my night,” Luna said with a smile. She knew he loved her, and that he never meant any harm to her. He was more of a protector than a fighter, she would know better than anyone. Eclipse responded to her with a smile of his own, and then decided to ask her something.

“Luna, could you teach me your magic?” Eclipse blurted out, “I’ve never had any strong magic of my own. I only really know the basics; I just want a chance in the tournament tomorrow.” Luna didn’t quite know how to respond. She then looked at the seriousness on her brother’s face. He really wanted to show what he could do. She smiled and said, “Alright, but only on one condition.”

“What is it, I’ll do anything?” Eclipse asked full of determination.

“You have to give me all the details of your date with Princess Elsa,” Luna said with a smirk. Eclipse cocked his head back with both a look of confusion and embarrassment. To tell you the truth, Eclipse barely knew what a date was. He was only seven years old, and he only knew what they were because Celestia was old enough to date (Celestia is seventeen).

“L…Luna it wasn’t anything like that. I’m only seven years old, it was just me playing with a new friend,” Eclipse explained with his bright red cheeks. But Luna could see right through him, he really did like Elsa. She gave him a ‘You’re-Not-Fooling-Anyone’ look, and she kept at it until he cracked under the pressure.

“Ok, thou have gotten me. I have a crush on Princess Elsa, happy? She’s just so pretty,” Eclipse admitted with a loud whisper.

“Awww, my little brother has a childhood crush,” Luna said half teasingly and half adoringly. “I think you two look so cute together.”

“Sister we just met, it’s not like we’re getting married or anything,” Eclipse said with a little annoyance in his voice. Luna sat there as if she were waiting for something. Eclipse sighed and decided there was no way around it. He explained everything from when he saw Elsa come into the garden, to when they finished Marshmallow, to when they made their promise to protect each other. He kept out the part when he saw his “memories”; he still didn’t know what that was. Luna found the whole thing adorable, especially his promise with Elsa.

“Alright, you kept your end of the deal now I shall teach you Night magic,” Luna said. The two practiced for two hours, going deep into the night. Luna was basically nocturnal, so she could stay up as long as she got some sleep. Eclipse on the other hand, was what you could call a “Day walker”. He could stay up all night and still be wide awake when the sun came up. He would need some sleep by the next night, but for now he was awake and determined. When Luna thought he learned enough spells and had them mastered, she felt like it was time they both got some sleep.

“Alright brother, well done I think that’s enough for tonight. We both need rest for tomorrow,” the night princess said. Eclipse nodded and Luna left the room. As he was about to finally catch some sleep, he heard a conversation going on in the other room. Mother’s room; he carefully put his ear to the wall and listened.

“Do you understand, Your Majesty?” an unknown female voice said. “Our sons; Talon and Eclipse will be facing one another tomorrow. My son must win; he is the strongest and fastest in this entire castle.”

“If he is, there should be no problem with him winning,” Eclipse heard his mother say with annoyance in her voice.

“Ah, but you see I don’t want even the slightest chance of him losing. So I want your son to “throw” the match.”

“WHAT!?”

“And if he doesn’t, our alliance will be severed. So I’ll repeat myself, ‘do you understand?” Eclipse now knew this was the Griffin Queen trying to force his mother into an agreement. Eclipse was sure that his mother would never agree to such an empty threat.

“I understand,” Queen Lauren responded. Eclipse could not believe his ears; did he hear his mother right?

“Thank you, oh and one more thing,” what now, “If Talon wins, Princess Elsa of Arendelle will become his betrothed.” Eclipse’s jaw dropped, and his heart cracked.

“That is not for me to say, that is something for her parents to agree to,” Lauren shot back.

“Oh they saw nothing wrong with it, as long as he wins. And I am determined to make my son happy and get whatever he desires. All we need is your agreement.”

“Fine, but only if he wins the full tournament,” the alicorn queen said with a little force. The Griffin Queen nodded and started her way to leave.

“Good night, Your Majesty,” Lauren ignored her and dismissed Galinda from her room. After she had left and closed the door, she heard a hoof knocking on it. A little annoyed, she opened the door. What she saw instantly changed her attitude to pure worry. She saw her seven year old son with eyes that looked like they would burst into tears any second.

“M…Mama, do I really have to give up the fight tomorrow?” the tiny alicorn said trying to hold back his tears. Queen Lauren opened up her wings, signaling for him to come in for a hug. He rushed into his mothers wings and began to let a few tears fall down his face. He soon pulled himself together, ready to obey his mother. No matter how much it breaks his heart and dreams.

“Mother, if I have forfeit the match I will. I know it’s important to keep our alliance with Griffin Kingdom,” Eclipse said trying to sound grown up. Queen Lauren smiled at her son.

“Now Eclipse, who ever said you had to forfeit the match?” the Queen said with a smirk on her face.

“But…But you said…You agreed to…,” the prince tried to say.

“I said I understood her conditions, I never said I agreed to them. I could care less about the Griffin Kingdom. Now let me ask you a question, sweetie. Are you really worried about the match itself, or are you worried about Princess Elsa getting betrothed?” Eclipse did not want to answer that, he just stood there as his face grew red for like the hundredth time that day. His mother saw and only giggled.

“I’m only teasing you sweetie, I know that you two had your little fun tonight, I just want to know what makes my son tick,” the teasing mother explained. Eclipse with a shy smile, nodded to his mother’s claim. Then a question popped into his head, and his face turned more serious.

“Mother what am I?” The Queen was not ready for that question at all. Did he know about that day? “It’s just I’ve been having images popping in my head. I see two cowering fillies surrounded by timber wolves. Then the wolves turn towards me, and I start to get ‘bigger’. My stomach then feels really hot, like fire. And then smoke comes out of my mouth. Then it turns black, does it mean anything?” the alicorn prince asked. Queen Lauren looked at her son; she closed her eyes and sighed.

“I knew this day would come, just I was hoping for tomorrow,” the Queen said with a little nervousness. “Eclipse, when you were but a few days old your sisters were attacked by a pack of timber wolves. I was not home at the moment, so I had no idea this was happening. Then you came to their rescue, and you did something I never thought possible.”

“What, what did I do?” Eclipse asked curiously.

“Son, it is one thing to change into a breezie (or any smaller sized creature), but it is not even thought to be possible to become a dragon. That night, when you saw your sisters in danger you transformed into a dragon unlike any other I have ever seen.” Eclipse could not believe what he just heard. He had become a d…dr…dragon, one of the most dangerous creatures to walk the Earth. He soon started backing away from his mother, he was afraid of what he would do to her. Lauren saw this, and using her magic closed the door. She had explained this much, she needed to get the rest of it out.

“Sweetie, you don’t understand all of it. Yes, you became a dragon, but you were still you. You were in control of your power; all you wanted was to protect your sisters. And to tell you the truth, I am very proud of you,” Queen Lauren said with a smile on her face. Eclipse grew a smile of his own.

“Now that you mention it Mother, I do sometimes feel like there is something inside me trying to break out. I just refuse to let it, afraid of what it is,” Eclipse said now feeling like he just solved the biggest mystery of pony kind.

“Well, don’t hide away who you are. I don’t want you to conceal it away anymore,” the Queen glanced at her clock, “Oh my, it way past both of our bed times. You have a big match tomorrow,” the proud mother said leading her son back into his room. When he was in bed, Lauren turned to leave and then remembered one thing.

“Eclipse, no matter what happens tomorrow, know that I will always love you. No matter what you are, or what you do,” Queen Lauren said with a loving smile.

“I love you too, Mama,” Eclipse responded with a smile of his own. When she left, it didn’t take much longer for Eclipse to fall asleep. He needed to restore his energy, he was going to have beat an over grown chicken tomorrow. He was determined to keep the promise he made.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

As Twilight finally closed the book, she could see both the princesses with warm smiles on their faces. She was filled with butterflies as she thought about Prince Eclipse and Princess Elsa’s promise to each other. Little did she know that was the first of many promises made between the two. All three princesses glanced to the Cloud Screen in the center of the arena. They saw Fleetfoot still in the lead, but closely followed by Whiplash. For somepony to be that close to Fleetfoot was amazing. Twilight glanced toward Rainbow Dash, and what she saw confused her. She seemed to be fighting herself, deciding on whether to cheer for Whiplash or Fleetfoot. Twilight shrugged, she just let her friend be.

“I still can’t believe you two kept this from me,” Celestia said, trying to sound as formal as she could.

“It was a secret between a brother and a sister, if thou wanted to know thou should’ve just asked him,” Luna responded with a smirk on her face. Twilight simply smiled as the sun and moon bickered like sisters.

“So how are we going to get the next book?” Twilight asked. Both Celestia and Luna stopped their discussion and looked at Twilight. They had no idea, they thought the race would be done by now. Neither one of them could teleport there; the barrier was only sound proof. If they teleported, their subjects would think they had abandoned them.

“Perhaps I could help with that,” said a voice behind them. In front of the door, at about half Twilight’s height, her number one assistant stood. “Oh yeah, I forgot I let Spike sleep in while I went down into the archives this morning,” Twilight thought.

“Spike, thank goodness. Could you possibly bring me back a book with a gray alicorn and a griffin on the cover? Its titled A Promise Kept’,” Celestia asked the baby dragon.

“Sure thing Princess, where is it exactly?” Spike asked.

“In the Canterlot archives; don’t worry I’ll teleport you there. All you need to do is bring it back here.” With that, Spike nodded and Celestia teleported him to his destination. Now all they needed to do was to wait for him to return with the book.

Author's Note:

Hey Everypony! sorry this took a while. But don't worry, I plan on getting the next one done a lot sooner. It's already been started. But in order to finish it, I need your help. just answer the simple question; Fire or Frost? simple as that. And I appreciate all the comments and likes you have all given, it means a lot to me. Well hope you like this one, and if you like action packed battles; you'll like next chapter even more. Remeber to comment, like, and favorite. Thank you, Everypony!