• Published 18th Nov 2013
  • 2,915 Views, 50 Comments

The Untold Past of the Royal Family - PrinceoftheEclipse



Why don't we know more about our princesses' past? Why do they always seem to be a secret? Twilight Sparkle believes she has just found another secret of theirs. And this one seems to be more about their family.

  • ...
3
 50
 2,915

Where Friendships Begin

As the three princesses made their way to the Canterlot archives, they were interrupted by an all too familiar voice. “Princess, your presence is required at the Wonderbolt derby. Its starts in 10 min,” Kibitz said.

Kibitz was a “different” kind of unicorn who was always obsessed with being on schedule (that and writing his own name over and over). The thing that made him stand out quite a bit was his big puffy moustache. Both Celestia and Twilight let out a mental groan. Luna on the other hand let out a physical groan; she could hardly stand Kibitz’s constant nagging. Still he was just fulfilling his duty, so she couldn’t completely hate him. “Thank you for notifying me, Kibitz, you’ll have to tell them I am unable to make it,” Celestia replied.

“I’m afraid that they insist Princess, but it shouldn’t take more than a few hours,” Kibitz answered back. Celestia looked back at both her student and her sister; both had a little worried look on their faces. It then hit her, she thought of a brilliant idea that could make everypony happy. “Alright then I will attend, but only if Princess Luna and Princess Twilight Sparkle accompany me,” Celestia said with utmost authority.

Kibitz nodded and began to lead them to the derby. As they started walking, Celestia pulled Twilight aside.

“Twilight, I want you to quickly go get the next book on the shelf. It’s the one with three kingdoms on the cover,” Celestia whispered. Twilight grew a huge grin on her face and teleported immediately to the secret library. She tried her hardest not to start drooling from the pure amazement she was under. She had to slap herself a few times to get under control. As she searched the golden shelves, she quickly found the one that she was looking for. On the front were three different kingdoms. One had the symbol of Equestria on it, another had beautiful snowflake, and the other had an eagle. She was sure she would learn what they meant when she returned to the Princesses. She quickly teleported back with the book, then reappeared right back in the courtroom. The Princesses and Kibitz had just barely made it to the door to leave; she hadn’t been gone for long.

As they arrived at the Wonderbolts’ winter derby the entire stadium bowed to them. They sat in the royal box where they could watch, but wouldn’t be disturbed (not even Kibitz goes in). Unlike the derby that Fancy Pants invited Rarity to, the winter derby was a race around all of Equestria. So this was defiantly going to take a few hours for the race to finish. Another cool thing about this race is there was a giant cloud in the center of the stadium that projected the racers on the screen.

“Mares and Gentle colts, we would like to announce the beginning of the Wonderbolts’ winter derby. And also the arrival of our newest Wonderbolt, Whiplash!” announced the pony on the intercom. Then out came the Wonderbolts, Spitfire at the front with Fleetfoot and Soarin right behind her. At the end of all of them, out came the newest Wonderbolt, Whiplash. She had a golden coat, a mane of red, yellow, and blue, and strangely she kind of looked like Rainbow Dash.

“OH COME ON!!,” somepony shouted in the crowd. Twilight looked through a pair of binoculars to see who was freaking out. In the crowd, she saw Rainbow Dash having a tantrum. Twilight decided to ignore it for now, Rainbow did this kind of stuff when it came to the Wonderbolts. The pegasi got into position, the horn blew, and they were off with Fleetfoot in the lead.

“Alright, while we wait for that to finish why don’t we start reading another book?” Celestia asked.

“I think that’s thine greatest idea today,” Luna stated. Celestia’s horn began to glow and an invisible sound proof barrier surrounded the royal box. Making everypony think the princesses were listening during the race.

“Alright Twilight, how would like to read this one?” Celestia asked floating book toward her student.

“Are you sure Princess?” Twilight responded.

“Of course, but only if you would like to.”

Twilight took the book with utmost excitement. She had been dying to read at least one of these books. The title of this book was “Friendship Is Where It All Starts.”

“Wait Twilight, before you start I want you to know something about this one. This is was a turning point in Eclipse’s life,” Celestia told her. If Twilight heard her, she didn’t show it. She opened to the first page and began to read.



Queen Lauren woke up to the rays of sunlight hitting her face from the crack in her window. Celestia had gotten up right on time to raise the sun, just as Luna had gotten up to lower the moon. As proud as she was of them, she sometimes wished they would be normal and sleep in. Though she couldn’t be mad at them, they all knew what an important day it was today. Today, neighboring kingdoms would be coming to participate in the Equestrian Tournament. As she started to get out of bed, she noticed that Eclipse wasn’t in his bed.

“He must’ve gotten up with his sisters,” the Queen stated. When she looked toward the door of her room, she saw her three children with smiles on their faces. They were levitating a tray of waffles and orange juice.

“Surprise!” the three of them yelled in unison

“What’s this for?” Queen Lauren said with a confused smile on her face.

“We just wanted our Mommy to know we love her,” Celestia responded. Their mother looked at them suspiciously, “They definitely want something,” she thought.

“Alright what do you want?” She asked.

“Nothing, tis was Eclipse’s idea in the first place,” Luna replied. Lauren looked at her son, who had a pretty proud look on his face.

“Well ok, thank you. This looks really good,” the Queen said taking the tray from them. When she took the first bite, her eyes grew huge. These were amazing, better than even the royal chefs could do. The three young alicorns watched happily as their mother ate the waffles.

“Well, there was one thing I wanted to ask you Mommy,” Eclipse admitted. “I knew it,” Lauren thought.

“What would that be, sweetheart?” She asked in between bites.

“Well, could I possibly compete in tournament with Luna and Celestia?” he asked softly. That was a question she was slightly expecting. Eclipse always wanted to prove himself, prove he was just as powerful as his two sisters. And truth be told, he was. He had more power in him than he even knew. She wanted to let him participate, but what if he lost control? What if somepony got hurt? Then again, the kingdom would have to know about him eventually. Why not today? As these questions ran through her head, Eclipse was patiently waiting for her to answer.

“Mom, did you hear me?” he asked.

“Huh, what,” She said snapping out of her daze.

“May I compete in the tournament?” he repeated.

“Oh yes, of course you can sweetheart,” she responded. Eclipse then grinned so wide his smile was going off his face. He then gave his mother a death hug, causing her to almost drop her waffles. He then flew out of the room screaming with excitement. Luna soon followed him, while Celestia stayed in the room.

“Mother, are you sure that is such a good idea?” She asked

“I know what you’re thinking, but trust me it will be ok,” Lauren responded finishing her waffles.
Celestia wanted to object a little, but she knew her mother knew what she was doing. As she started to leave, Queen Lauren spoke out to her daughter.

“Ponies are going to have to know eventually, Celestia. I just think it’s about time they learn what he can do,” Lauren said. Celestia looked back to her mother. A smile on her face, she nodded in agreement. Celestia knew that Mother would do what was best for Prince Eclipse.

The whole royal family waited in the throne room, waiting to for the kingdoms to arrive. There were two kingdoms coming to compete against Equestria. First was the Griffin Kingdom, coming from the North to prove that griffins could compete with ponies. The other kingdom came from the East; it was the Kingdom of Arendelle which was also populated with ponies. The three siblings couldn’t wait to meet the other royal families, well except griffins. They had heard that the griffin princes were kind of aggressive and rude. They were for sure anxious to meet the royal sisters from Arendelle; they were rumored to be the most fun and kind ponies. Just then, they heard the trumpets announcing their arrival. They all came on airships, but the one from the Griffin Kingdom were colored dark brown with an Eagle painted in the center. While the Arendelle airships were both green and blue with an icy blue gem in the center.

As the ships docked themselves to the ground, the three’s excitement only grew. The entire castle staff was ready to welcome their many guests. Soon after, the doors open to reveal the Griffin King and Queen; Thunder Beak and Galinda. Thunder was a black griffin with a claw mark across his beak. While Galinda was a white griffin with a slight purple tint in her feathers. They were followed by their twin sons, Talon and Bronze Wing. All were followed by their whole kingdom. When the King and Queen reached Queen Lauren, they bowed their heads in respect and said, “Your Majesty.” Their sons came and did the same. Then Lauren bowed her head in response, and then her children repeated. After they were done Celestia, Luna, and Eclipse waved at the princes, but they turned their heads and scoffed. The three already did not like them. The griffins went back to wait in the space of the throne room.
Then the King and Queen of Arendelle came in with their daughters by their sides. The King was tan brown Earth pony with a small mustache and light brown mane, while the Queen was a dark brown Earth pony with a slightly lighter mane. The Princesses were much brighter colors. The one on the right was a sunshine yellow Earth pony with a strawberry blonde mane in a double French braids. While the other one on the left caught Eclipse’s eye. She was icy blue unicorn, with a bleach blonde mane in a normal braid. Eclipse couldn’t help but stare at her. When they got in front of Queen Lauren, the two Arendelle princesses looked at the three Equestrian siblings. The yellow Earth pony waved to them, and both Luna and Celestia waved back. But the icy blue unicorn did not; she was too busy staring at Eclipse as much as he was staring at her. Celestia slightly nudged her brother, and he came back to senses and bowed his head to them. At the same time, the King of Arendelle slightly nudged his daughter, and she bowed her head as well. When they returned to stand with their kingdom, the blue unicorn looked back and waved to Eclipse. Eclipse waved back to her, soon followed by another quick nudge from his sisters. He saw them trying not to giggle at him, he responded by whispering, “Silence.” The unicorn only giggled as she watched him deal with his sisters.

“Welcome everyone, both ponies and griffins. It is a pleasure to welcome you all into our home. We would like to announce the beginning of the annual Equestrian Tournament,” the Queen announced. With that the entire room exploded in applause. The children all grew smiles, some out of excitement and some out of over confidence. Both Talon and Bronze Wings looked at each other with a smug look. They had all the confidence that they would win this thing.

“Now, the games don’t start until tomorrow. So I would like you all to make yourselves comfortable in one of the many rooms throughout the castle. Royal families of the Griffin Kingdom and Arendelle, if you would follow me we have your rooms already prepared,” Queen Lauren said. After that all three kingdoms went into the hallways to find their rooms. The King and Queen and their children of both kingdoms stayed waiting to be lead to their rooms. Lauren and her three foals then got up and began to walk toward the door. The two other families then started following them. As they started walking down the hallway, the children drifted toward the back.

“Hello fellow royals, I am Prince Talon and this is my brother Prince Bronze Wings,” Talon said. Talon was a dark grey griffin with a gold ruby necklace around his neck.

“We just want you ponies to know that we are fastest and strongest in the whole world,” Bronze bragged. Bronze wing was copper looking griffin with a bronze emerald necklace.

“So just hope you get eliminated before you have to face us, I would hate to hurt such a pretty face,” Talon said stroking Celestia’s face with his claw. Her being slightly annoyed, she knocked his claw away.

“I am Princess Celestia, and I have no intention of losing to the likes of you,” Celestia responded with a little attitude. She always hated the snobby type; her whole family did as a matter of fact. Especially when it came to royalty, they could not stand those who took it to their head. Both of the princes glanced at the others and then left to be with their parents.

“My name in Princess Anna of Arendelle, but you can just call me Anna,” the sunshine Earth pony said.

I’m Princess Luna, just call me Luna. And as you already know, this is my sister Princess Celestia.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet both of you, I can tell we are going to be great friends,” Anna said with excitement.

“I believe so too. Wait, didn’t you have a sister with you?” Celestia asked.

“Uh, yes and didn’t you have a brother with you?” Anna asked back. All three looked behind them and saw them both in their own little conversation. Their eyes never left each other’s, both smiling as they talked to each other. All Celestia, Luna, and Anna could do was smile. That and think of how much teasing their siblings will be getting from them.

Eclipse’s Conversation

“Umm, h...hey my name’s Eclipse,” Eclipse said trying not to blush more than he already was.

“I’m Elsa, nice to meet you,” the unicorn said also blushing.

“I really like your mane,” Eclipse said with his face as red as his own mane.

“Oh, thank you,” she said also blushing even more. The two talked for what seemed like hours, getting to know each other’s likes/dislikes. From their favorite seasons to their favorite desserts, both seemed to love chocolate (anything) and the snowy winter. As they were talking, they eventually bumped into their siblings when they arrived at their rooms.
“Here are your rooms, if you need anything me and my children are right across the hall. If none of us are here at the time, then one of our lovely staff will be more than happy to assist you,” said the alicorn Queen. They all nodded to her and went to their rooms, all except the five new friends. Anna finally got to meet Eclipse, while Luna and Celestia got to meet Elsa. When they finally got done getting to know each other, it was almost time for Luna to raise the moon. As they all went their separate ways, Eclipse whispered to Elsa, “Meet me in the garden later tonight.”

“Ok, I’ll see you in a bit.” As they went into their rooms, Eclipse saw his mother and decided to ask.

“Mother, is it ok that I move into my own room?” Eclipse asked. His mother was a little surprised, but not too much. She had expected this day to come eventually.

“What you don’t love your mother anymore?” she asked jokingly.

“No, Mother that not what I meant,” Eclipse responded trying to show that he still loved her.

“I’m only teasing you, of course you can. I understand that you eventually grow old enough to want your own room. There’s a room on the right, it’s all yours,” the Queen said happily to her son. Next thing she knew, he was hugging her around her neck.

“Thank you Mother,” he said quickly as he rushed out the door. She would miss having him by her side, but she knew he was still there just a wall was now between them. Tell you the truth; she was now a little excited to see her children in action. She especially wanted them to crush the rotten griffin twins. She couldn’t really care about the griffin kingdom, the only reason they were allies were because they both had resources they needed. So she may not be able to do anything about it, but her children could. She loved it when she got to show off her kids.



“That’s when a great friendship was forged,” Celestia said as Twilight closed the book.

“So what did Prince Eclipse and Princess Elsa do that night in the gardens?” Twilight asked curiously.

“Well I wasn’t there, so I couldn’t tell you,” Celestia responded

“I was,” Princess Luna stated.

“You were? Why didn’t you tell me?” Celestia asked her sister.

“It was between me and him, besides I kind of forgot until today,” Luna said slightly blushing from embarrassment. Another memory just suddenly remembered today. “And I wasn’t all into writing at the time, so there isn’t any book for us to read about what happened. Also my memory of that day is foggy, I can’t remember what happened.”

As if right on time, a light began to glow underneath the book that Twilight set down. She lifted it off the ground, and to all three surprised they found another book. On the cover, was a sticky note that read, “You may find a few more of these as you read further on.” Ok, somepony was playing a game with this. They all predicted a certain Lord of Chaos was behind this and they decided to let it slide. After all, he gave them a new book that he may have been there to witness. They all looked up to check and see the progress of the derby. The wonder bolts had only made it across half of Equestria; they had plenty of time to read another one. The cover of this book had a moon and snowflake on the front. Twilight was very curious, “Princess, do you mind if I read this one too?”

“Not at all Twilight,” Celestia answered with a smile. Twilight carefully opened to the first page that was titled, “Let It Snow.”

Author's Note:

Hey Everypony! Man I got this one out earlier than I thought. I'm so happy how it turned out, I hope you guys like it as much as I do. I still could use a few more OC's so don't hesitate to tell me. I don't have much to say, just don't forget to like, comment, and favorite. Thank you Everypony.