• Published 20th Nov 2013
  • 371 Views, 1 Comments

Destiny - observer of dimensions



Explosions, death and a mystery group the cause of it all. Lives of many or change by a single devastating event, it is however just the beginning. One pony sets out to find the ones responsible and bring them to justice.

  • ...
 1
 371

Stone Mask

Princess Luna, the Mare of the Night and the Guardian of Dreams sat quietly at her oak desk filling out paperwork under the evening sky. Before her lay Missives, status reports, complaints and any other combination of ink and paper that had succeeded in passing the triple screening process to even get a chance to be glanced at by one of the Equestrian princesses. Two years ago when the Equestrian government begun it's reform a pony told Luna that sitting at a desk reading paper after paper was much easier and less strenuous then holding court of which the former was replacing.

That pony was a big fat Liar. Going through paperwork was nothing new to Luna. She had done such a duty even before her banishment to the moon. Now with the workload tripled an less time to do anything else she had already begun to miss listening to her subjects no matter how silly some topics could get. Thankfully there was a light at the end of the tunnel. After today she will be able to rid herself of these damnable papers on top of her desk. Princess Luna's salvation came in the form of a trip to Saddle Arabia. It was no vacation. She had duties to attended to once there, but never-the-less it was a welcome change. Princess Luna also had plans to invite a particular group consisting of five mares. There was however, a pony she needed to talk to first.

Seven minutes after the lowering of the sun and raising of the moon, Princess Luna, with great enthusiasm finished the time consuming paperwork. Princess Luna immediately rose to her hooves and stretched. Once satisfied she made her way to the door and the two stoic Lunar Guards standing next to it. Opening it with her magic she stepped through it without slowing down.

Two more guards stood on the other side. They took a second to confirm that it was their Princess of the Night who was coming out before resuming their silent watch. The two guards from the room followed Luna out taking positions besides her as she continued to her next destination.

Cantorlot castle was no longer the colorful open place it once was. The castle always had its Royal Guards, but they seem to fit into the background not taking away the beauty of the castle itself. Now a pony could not take a step onto the grounds without seeing several squads of armored ponies making their rounds; and that was only if said pony was even allowed to enter castle grounds. The castle had become a cage of isolation, separating the Princess for the ponies they were suppose guide and protect. Luna hated it all but there was nothing she could do but grin and bare it. The decrees and government reform had came fast and hard. Luna was to late to stop it from starting and due to her lack of support she was unable to halt it. The only way for things to return to the way they were was to convinced the one who had made the changes in the first place, Her sister Princess Celestia. That however, was a matter for another day. Now, in the castle wing belonging to her sister and in front of the door of the Sun princess's Study a battle of words and logic was about to begin.

Instead of waiting for one of the guard to announce her as protocol demands Princess Luna knocked on the door herself. The two ponies standing guard flashed her a nervous glance, fearful of their solar Princess reaction to braking protocol.

"Who is it?" A monotone voice called out from behind the door.

"It's your sister, I wish to speak with you." Princess Luna answered sternly.

...

...

...

...

"Come in."

"The two of you will stay here." Princess Luna ordered her guards before entering the room. Princess Luna was greeted with a sight that mirrored her study not to long ago. The only difference was that it was Princess Celestia behind the desk and not her.

Princess Celestia waited till one of the guards closed the door before speaking. "What do you wish to talk about Princess Luna. Princess Celestia said in a cold and distant tone, not even looking up at her sister. What irony that the Princess of the sun acted so unlike the celestial body she controlled. Princess Luna found it almost unbelievable that this was the same pony who broke down sobbing as she tried to give an eulogy of the late Princess Twilight. All the while apologizing to family and friends for not protecting her better.

"It's about the trip to Saddle Arabia."

Princess Celestia levitated a stamp from it's resting place and pressed down on the paper below it. "So you have changed your mind about sending ambassador Fleur instead?" The stamp once again was lifted up into the air.

"No, I wish to bring the element bearers." Princess Luna announced. In truth she need not ask her sister for permission, however It would be a bad idea to take the five mares with her without at least informing Princess Celestia.

The stamp stopped moving through the air. Princess Celestia finally looked up at her younger sister. Her icy glare would have made a lesser pony pee themselves. Princess Celestia gently place the stamp down on it's inkpad. "Leave us, I wish to speak to Princess Luna alone. Wishing not to upset their Princess the two guards did as they were ordered. One guard hesitated, ready to look back but a chill flowing down his spine convinced him to continue forward.

Now that it was just the two of them Princess Celestia dropped the mask of indifference reveling a disdained expression. "Luna, It would be unwise to take the bearers anywhere outside of Equestia. We need them here in case of an emergency."

"They need a break Tia." Princess Luna sighed. "Time away from work and the training you forced them into, they're not soldiers." Luna spoke calmly.

"That's right they're not soldiers which is exactly why they need to stay here and continue their training." Princess Celestia roared, slamming her forehooves down hard on her desk. Princess Luna swore she saw her sister's eyes burst into flames for s moment or two. "If two years of training isn't enough for normal cadets to become Royal guards then it is defiantly not enough for regular ponies." She sneered.

The furiousness within Princess Celestia's words surprised Princess Luna but she was determined to hold her ground. "Tia, Sister, You need to stop. They do not have the same motivation our cadets have to become armed defenders of Equestia. They just want to live normal lives...well as normal as it can get." She let out a heavy sigh. "Besides we no longer have the elements in our possession. They are still with the Tree of Harmony. Even if we were to take them again we are still short a bearer."

Princess Celestia opened her mouth to retort but Was stopped by Princess Luna. "Oh, don't think I haven't seen your plans to re- to find a pony capable of welding the element of Magic. So far you only have two candidates and one of them has been living in that...'human world' for years. Come on sister, let me give them this."

Princess Celestia removed her hooves from the desk which now had two sizeable dents in it. The Solar monarch lowered her head, breaking eye contact with her sister. "Fine, do what you want." she grunted. "But you only have two days. I doubt any of them will be able to go on such short notice."

Princess Luna smiled inwardly "That's not a problem I sent out invitations weeks ago and they all said yes, even Rainbow Dash." Princess Celestia flash her a disapproving glare but said nothing. Princess Luna was about to turn around to leave when an idea entered her head. "You could join us too I-"Princess Luna stopped suddenly upon meting Princess Celestia's fiery gaze.

"I'M IN CHARGE OF A COUNTRY HERE. I CAN NOT AND WILL NOT WASTE TIME VACATIONING UNDER THE PRETENSE OF MEETING WITH FOREIGN LEADERS IN THEIR HOMELAND." Celestia yelled.

"sister"

"Or do you believe me inadequate in my duties that I need to be replaced. I'm I so incapable of taking care of my ponies that I have to 'take time off' until I am deemed sufficient enough lead them again?"

"Tia please..." Luna spoke weakly.

"Maybe this is how you plan to take over Equestia like you tried to do as Nigh-"

"I'M WORRIED THAT I'M GOING TO LOSE YOU SISTER." Princess Luna screamed over Princess Celestia's ranting stopping her completely. silence fall upon the Study as both mares proceeded to came down.

"Tia, While I promised to never enter your dreams without your permission I can still sense when you are sleeping. You barely sleep for more then five hours a day and when you dream I can tell even without entering that they are nightmares. Sis...sister I'm scarred I'm going to lose the only family I have left to madness and fear." Luna paused but Princess Celestia said nothing to counter her sister. "You're holding up now, you've been since Tw-since her funeral but even you have a limit. How long...how long till the sister I love can't take no more and breaks under the pressure?" Princess Luna pleaded.

Princess Celestia remained silent. Her fiery rage dissipated into nothing more then cooling steam. Princess Celestia simply hung her head low with a forlorn expression on her face. The Princesses sat in silence for what felt like hours. Finally believing that she would get nothing more from her older sister Princess Luna turned to leave.

"I wouldn't blame you if you did."

Princess Luna halted "What?"

Celestia did not answer right away. Instead she opted to turn herself around to face the window and the night that was shown through it. "I wouldn't blame you if you did think I was incompetent of leading this nation." Celestia spoke softly. ignoring the hoofsteps of her sister coming closer, she continued on. "I've made peace with myself for making the mistake of turning a blind eye to your troubles a thousands years ago and for you to pay the price of an millennia on the moon. I have done my best of Equestia, but now that I look back I see stupid mistakes and dangerous recklessness."

Celestia flinched as she felt a warm feathery wing drape across her back. "I do not understand Tia? Where have those stupid mistakes and recklessness you speak of."

Celestia's ears flatted against the sides of her head. She wish not to bring up the past but for her sister she will. "I knew that one day Nightmare Moon would return. I made plans upon plans on saving you and this planet from your darkness. When Twil-when Twilight showed up I knew just how you could be saved and that filly was the key. I raised her and taught her, becoming like a second mother to her. THEN WHAT DO I DO, I send her and five civilians off against a dangerous threat. Out of all of them Twilight was the only one with any kind of defensive training, which was just the basics."

Celestia's eyes watered, she stopped to wipe them away before they had a chance to fall down her face. "But sister that just means you had faith in Twilight and her friends. It would be silly for you to teach her so much but not have faith in her to achieve the goals you set for her without unneeded help." Luna pointed out.

"Yes, but even so, I could have made sure that they would remain safe if things went south. Everything was riding on Twilight finding the elements and her friends helping her to stop Nightmare Moon...I could have at least send a small armed force to watch them and make sure they weren't hurt."

Luna opened her mouth to argue was stopped by Celestia laughing hysterically to herself. "Let's not forget the royal wedding. Twilight knew something was up. There was something of with Princess Cadance even I saw that. Buuuttt I just chalked it up to pre-wedding nervousness. Well we all know how that turned out." Princess Celestia's eyes shrunk resulting in her looking like a maniac; even more so with her hysterical giggling. "What makes it worse is I never said sorry. Nope just a 'good job Twilight, you have learned a valuable lesson in bla bla bla' I...I don't even remember the last time I said sorry to anypony. Earlier that year she and her friends learned to take each others concerns seriously even if it didn't seem like a big deal to themselves. I should have taken my own words to heart. Since the bombing things have gotten worse. Now I can't even stop the increasing crime rates I just...I just..."

Hysterical giggling lead way to soft sobbing. Princess Celestia would have collapsed on the floor if her sister wasn't there hugging her. "I miss her...I miss her so much." Princess Celestia repeated into her sister's blue fur. Princess Luna said nothing, focusing more on stroking Celestia's mane. Soon her mentally exhausted sister would fall asleep, leaving her to watch over the kingdom. For now however she was just a mare taking care of her older sister.


Princess Luna watched her sister sleep peacefully in her bed. In an hour the Princess of the sun would need to be woken up to raise the sun. Luna wished she could comfort her sister better the she had. It wasn't that she didn't know how it was just...complicated. It has taken two years of investigating but now she had a led on the ones behind the bombing and assassination of Princess Twilight. unfortunately she had to keep it a secret from Celestia. Under the cold heartless demeanor lies a fury of emotion. If that night was anything to go by who knows what would happen if Celestia found a true target to direct her anger towards. Even now she could imagine her sister waking up once again with a new mask of stone to replace the one she broke. Princess Luna, mare of the moon and guardian of dreams could only hope that everything will be brought to light before that mask is destroyed from the inside out.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment