• Published 8th Mar 2012
  • 17,888 Views, 543 Comments

Little Dragon in a Strange New World - Zeryurijin

  • ...
36
 543
 17,888

Ambush

Authors Note: This chapter is rated T for some violence and a slaying. You have been informed.


The carriage left the courtyard in the late evening. Watching from the balcony of her chamber, Celestia watched as the pegasi guards carried Twilight and the dragon away from the castle, back towards Ponyville. Spyro was to remain with her student until the dragon elders and the alicorn made solid progress. Her eyes stirred as visions from their brief encounter drawing up strange feelings that the ruler could not grasp currently. The way he stared back conflicted with going against her command yet obeying without further harm. So lost, the alicorn did not feel Luna's presence until a wing brushed against her withers.

"Do you think my sentence was harsh? By placing him under Twilight and Highwind's watch, while remaining under house arrest Luna?"

Luna's eyes fixated on the slowly shrinking transportation, descending into the small village nestled in the valley by the mountain base.

"Do not regret your decision, sister. Spyro imposed himself during a delicate matter between the ambassadors of both nations. He foolishly had hoped to get his point across, unaware of the political matters at hoof. The dragon does not have to contend or deal with what we do on a regular basis. He knows no better then a young foal entering a restricted zone."

Celestia opened her muzzle to reply, but Lunq held up a hoof,"However, it does not excuse him of his behavior or poor choice of action. You gave a solid warning that he was to remain under the care of Twilight and her friends, regardless of the situation. He chose to strike out on his own and unfortunately, it has come back to strike him across the face. What's done is done."

"How can he be so intelligent yet act so brashly at the same time?"

"He is, as you put it, still a child. We've seen his elders their size alone is impressive. Like Twilight, Spyro has much to learn during his growth."

The alicorn felt her sister's warmth as the midnight sibling leaned against her, eyes upon on her face trying to read her expressions.

"Its about Sapphire and Steelwing, is it not? After Spyro brief interruptions, their demeanor swiftly altered. While Sapphire was more sentimental towards your final say, Steelwing had become more adamant about the dragon being a threat and us for conspiring with the dragons to harbor him."

"I'm concerned about both. While Sapphire shared my agreement, the dragoness seemed to be harboring her own agendas behind our backs. I am not sure what they are both up to but with Spyro unexpected arrival, it has clearly altered whatever hopes we had for a peaceful conference." Celestia frowned softly at both their sudden change in behavior that evening.

Shaking her head, the alicorn withdrew from the balcony retreating to her chamber once more.

"Have the outposts near Gryf and Draconis doubled. Send word that if any suspicious activity is noted that we are to be informed at once."

Quill and parchment in aura, Luna jotted down Celestia's requests,"And here sister?"

"Double the guards and patrols. Send captain Highwind some extra troopers as well. I don't want to take any chances."

The midnight alicorn nodded,"It will be done sister."

She turned to leave, reaching the double doors, when Celestia called out,"Luna!" She turned and gazed upon her sister, a brow arched slightly.

"Yes?"

"When your finished, come join me for a cup of tea and some cakes. Its... we don't spend as much time as I would have hoped for, with what our schedules being full in all."

Luna smiled and winked softly,"I accept the offer Celly. Be back in a few." The alicorn departed, leaving the sun goddess in her chambers and to her thoughts.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The carriage ride from Canterlot to Ponyville fell into silence. On one side sat Spyro and Twilight, the latter of the two having born down upon him for his reckless behavior earlier, now sat in silence and stared at the dragon. The dragon in turn, gazed out the window his eyes merely staring out into the great open, not focusing on any object in particular. Across from them sat captain Highwind and his fellow guard pony, Aerial Ace. Both kept silent, none moving a muscle nor making an attempt to relax themselves as the four pegasus carriage began a slow bank to the left. Compared to a earth pony bound carriage across the many roads in Equestria, a pegasi drawn carriage was smooth and easy going. Unless the weather was unpleasant, thus forcing for the ground method. This allowed Spyro to ponder and re-collect on his events that had transpired. It was during this time that a certain thought struck him. The dragon casted a wary glance at the lavender unicorn watching him, unsure if she was willing to talk or still angry with him.

"Say Twilight. About Celestia's garden." he murmured softly.

"What about them? You didn't go tearing those up, did you?" The mare replied a little roughly.

"Umm no. They remain in tact and without any harm. It was more of what was in the garden rather then the hedges."

"Go on."

"I had noticed that Celestia keeps a rather large collection of stone statues that expanded throughout the property. And while many boasted of unicorns, pegasi and earth ponies being depicted in all manners of their lives, there was one statue that seemed to clash with the others." Spyro slowly turned to watch her reaction.

Twilight felt a slight shiver run down her spine, thoughts flashing of a foe long vanquished resurfacing.

"What is it about this statue?" She asked a bit hesitant,"What about it clashed with the others?"

Both Highwind and Ace's ears perked and they barely leaned forward as Spyro continued.

"Everything about it. It was like your ancestors took various parts of different creatures, jumbled them together in some container then gave it a few shakes just to mix things up before putting it all together." He looked across to the two guards then back to Twilight,"And if its appearance was strange, the feeling I got from it...."

Twilight leaned a little closer, her heart flitting in her chest,"How did the statue make you feel?"

"Creepy. Like something was off about it in every way imaginable."

Aerial Ace barked a soft laughter, drawing a scowl from Highwind. The pegasi shrugged it off with a wave of his hoof,"I see you met the local prisoner resident Discord, dragon."

Spyro's turn to become curious,"Discord?" He looked between the guards then to Twilight,"What's a discord?"

"Not what, rather who." Highwind replied. The pony gestured to the unicorn seated across from them,"Twilight along with her friends had dealt with him in the past. History stated that her majesties Celestia and Luna before that."

The lavender mare drew in a soft breath, letting it exhale noisily,"Discord is a Draconequus. He is a spirit of chaos and disharmony. His physical appearance shows what disharmony is all about, that without harmony chaos would ensue. He made ponies lives miserable with his antics, drawing his imprisonment at the horns of Luna and Celestia centuries earlier. He escaped a few years ago, stealing away the Elements of Harmony and goading my friends and I into playing a game. Part of his nature, Discord enjoys chaos that it provides him with entertainment and amusement."

Twilight shook her head softly,"After a difficult journey of freeing my friends from his influence and with the Elements of Harmony back in our hooves, we banished Discord once again and saved Equestria from his presence."

Part of the story seemed cut off, as if the unicorn wasn't telling the whole thing. Twilight seemed to have her reasons, so Spyro did not press the matter. He leaned back once more, forearms crossing his chest.

"Sounded like a pretty tough guy."

The mare nodded casting another glance out their window, her eyes not focusing on any sight in particular. The carriage fell into silence once again the small conversation having ended. Highwind and Aerial Ace leaned back, forelegs folded across their armor as the two once again debated on how to go about watching the dragon. Ace turned to to speak with his captain, wanting to go over some detail he had just remembered, when the carriage lurched suddenly to the left. All four were jerked to their opposite sides, Highwind cursing under his breath.

"What the blazes?" he uttered.

It was then the four occupants heard what sounded like clashing outside which was followed by some heavy object landing atop the roof, causing the body to shudder as their transport made a sudden descent. Then came the cry from the pullers up front.

"Ambush! We're under assault!"

Silent beings had swooped down the minute the transport had left Canterlot air space. They tailed the pegasi drawn carriage until they were near the forest surrounding Ponyville. That was when they made their move. So silent and swift was their dive, no pony or dragon would have been able to pick out the whistling of wind against tucked wings until they struck. The carriage heaved again as the pullers up front dodged and weaved fending off to the best of their ability. As for the four inside part of the ceiling collapsed as a fist was driven through, before it started to grab blindly about inside. The gloved paw digits wrapped around Ace's armor and before the pony could gasp in shock, he was yanked bodily upwards slamming against the roof. Dazed but not confused, the male guard struggled against his captor before he was slammed against the ceiling once more.

Highwind launched himself at his fellow guards body, dragging him back down thus pulling their unseen assailant with them. Who ever it was was not giving up so easily. Once more Ace felt himself being yanked upwards yet again. It was short lived however as a set of dragon fangs found the offending appendage, Spyro clamping down as hard as he could. The results were good: The owner of the arm screamed, releasing Ace who landed on Highwind as both dropped the rather short fall and laid sprawled on the carriage floor. The injured arm flailed helplessly before the purple dragon grabbed hold with both his fore paws and returned the favor the assailant had given Ace only seconds earlier. Yanking downward, the dragon felt a body thump against the roof before he released the arm, now bearing his teeth markings. The paw zipped back up through the hole, the sound of loud cursing could be heard though the tongue spoken was lost on the four.

Another gloved fist came through, this time through the door. The sihlouette against the night sky gave them very little to go on as a different assailant tried to make a grab for either the ponies or the dragon. Twilight who took cover during the initial roof assault, was not going to sit back this time and let either Highwind, Aerial Ace or Spyro go at this alone. The horn started to shimmer with her aura as the mare hissed out a few words, a small orb gathering at the tip of her horn. She unleashed it at their attacker, the results was a paralyzing jolt of arcane and the shocked grunt of their attacker's body leaving the side.

"Nice shot!" Ace said to Twilight who gave a quick nod.

"Thank you."

The small victory was short lived as another gloved fist broke in from the other side. Twilight cried out as claws raked down her left shoulder and back, drawing blood. Spyro caught her before the carriage lurched again, the sounds of bodies or something slamming in from all sides. Highwind quickly lashed out with a hind leg, his hoof smashing into the attacker's paw. Again a scream and the assailant withdrew, leaving the four to tumble and hang on. Spyro looked down, worry and concern for their wounded friend. The unicorn shook her head, gritting her teeth as she ignored the pain throbbing along her back.

"I'm fine, really! We've got to land the carriage!"

More and more bodies started to slam and jostle their transport, more fists erupting through the holes, trying to grab potential victims. The pegasi guards had their hooves full fighting back, Spyro lashing out with his tail and jaws.

"Gonna be hard to do when we're up to our wings in attackers!" Ace called out, kicking another arm the foe crying out and the arm retreating from the hole.

A loud snap was heard up front. The carriage started to drop rapidly, all four clinging on tightly before it abruptly stopped. Pony and dragon landed painfully against the floor before their damaged transport lurched again, this time throwing them to the back. Pegasus and dragon could feel the change in the altitude, as carriage was being lifted higher and higher. The sight of clouds drifting past them through the new holes were apparent.

"Did... did we get away?" Highwind whispered.

"DROP THE CARRIAGE!" a harsh voice barked from the outside.

Gravity took over as the four tumbled their ride home suddenly taking an abrupt detour. The wind howled as they fell, rising flightlessly to the roof as the drop and speed increased.

"We'll never make it!" screamed Ace.

"Grab hold of me, every pony!" Twilight screamed back. Pegasi and dragon grabbed the unicorn who ignored the pain and started to gather magic around them, the feeling of the ground was coming closer and closer to crush them in their transport and snuff out their lives....

***

In Sugarcube Corner, Pinkie Pie had just finished a batch of muffin dough for tomorrow's breakfast rush. Rainbow Dash was with her cleaning up the kitchen when the pink pony's tail started to twitch uncontrollably.

"Twitchy tail! Twitchy tail! Something is falling!" The mare called out.

The cyan pegasus dropped everything and raced outside. When it came to Pinkie Sense, her friends never doubted the meanings behind them, not once. As the pegasus flew around the shop her eyes focused on the sky, Pinkie Pie could not help but wonder what was falling at this hour....

***

The carriage was wrecked, the remains splintered and strewn across the outskirts of the forest. At the center two pegasus guards, one unicorn and one dragon lay unconscious in the middle of a crater. The results of a magical bubble aura that cushioned their fall and literally saved their lives. While the carriage was lost all were saved thankfully. But the pressure of the impact had put a strain on Twilight's magic, the back lash knocking them all out when they landed. Spyro was the first to awaken, Twilight being the next and lastly Highwind and Aerial Ace. Soft groans came from slightly sore bodies as each rose shakily to their legs and started to clamber out of the crater.

Spyro was the first to emerge from the lip. As he drew one arm over the ledge, a pair of forelegs landed in front of him. Violet eyes squinted up to a cloaked figure who stared down. He could not make out any eyes, for the shadows of the clothing made it hard to take in any distinguishable features. A gloved paw wrapped around his throat the next moment cutting his air off. He struggled to breath as he was easily lifted up and then hurled into a couple more waiting nearby. They caught the dragon by his legs as he tied to use his wings. The actions earned him a blow to the rib cage from the side, a choked cry as the air was knocked out of him.

Twilight had heard the scuffling and was the next. Before she could mount any form of attack, the same assailant grabbed her by her mane, her screams followed as she was yanked over. A cold feel of metal was slipped down her horn as a ring was placed, the unicorn feeling a strange sickening feeling as her magic started to fade. She was tossed into the next pair who pinned her down roughly to the floor. She grunted and winced as her injured shoulder filed a complaint, sparks sputtering from her horn, though no magic was forming.

"Tsk, tsk. The item hinders your ability to cast any magic on us, silly unicorn. We can't have you pulling any more arcane attacks on us, can we?" The leader said with a grin.

His fellow thugs chuckled darkly as grunts and loud oofs! were heard. Highwind and Aerial Ace were last, the two pegasus being roughly subdued with kicks and blows to their bodies before shackles were strapped onto their feathered appendages, rendering them unable to fly. They too were thrown down along with Twilight, their captors feet keeping them from lifting their heads to the captors.

"Explain yourself!" Highwind barked through gritted teeth,"Who sent you and who are you after?"

The leader sighed with a disappointed sound, snapping his fingers. The male pegasus grunted in pain as a kick found his ribs, the guard panting in ragged breaths of air.

"Who I work for is none of your business. What I'm after, well I think you should already know by know." Three pairs of eyes fixated on Spyro, who winced in pained breaths as he filled his lungs. The leader turned to his fellow allies and gestured,

"Our benefactor has paid us quite handsomely for the capture of this dragon. Mmmmm they will be most happy when it is delivered unto them. Now I think I have wasted enough time, so I must bid you farewell."

The leader turned to leave pausing as one of the thugs whispered in his cloaked ear. Eyes fixated on the three ponies, then to the dragon. A snort accompanied the shrugging of shoulders.

"Eliminate them. I don't want pesky ponies trying to follow us. Nor some bratty unicorn who ever pony thinks is the greatest of all."

Fear dawned on Spyro as the order was given. He struggled weakly before he was cuffed roughly upside his head, his broken word of,"T..twi...light..." was heard before they started to restrain him further.

The unicorn eyes widened. She struggled and whimpered as she tried to break from under their hold, but it did the mare little good. Her legs were bound tightly before she felt a glove paw wrap around her neck. She choked out with a soft croak, Highwind and Ace screaming in frustration as her attacker started to crush her throat. Spyro tried to dig into himself, to call upon his power and hope to burn these punks, but the backlash of Twilight's bubble dissipating upon their landing had left him with an empty void, like some one had reached inside and flicked off the switch. Chained and bound, the dragon caught one last glimpse of the unicorn before his vision exploded into pain and stars as he was clubbed unconscious once again, slipping into that dark empty space.

"S...spy...ro."

He would never forgive himself. Visions of a dying Twilight being strangled filled his mind, the dragon unable to accept this outcome. He already felt himself responsible for losing Ignitus. He refused to let another life lay on his shoulders. She had welcomed him to Equestria, took him under her care along with her friends, introduced him to Spike inadvertently. Twilight was a friend to him and he could not help save her. He was going to lose Twilight.

Anger.

Rage.

Hatred.

Chaos.

A dark power erupted from the unconscious dragon a hollow scream following in their wake. Everyone and pony were knocked aside as this column of dark energy spiraled up towards the dark evening sky as dark clouds gathered at the source. In Canterlot, Luna and Celestia's cups dropped from their magical grasp and shattered onto the tiled floor. Both alicorns rushed to the balcony in time to see the billowing clouds converging on to one spot near the outskirts of Ponyville.

"By my mother's wings..." Celestia whispered.
"Sweet merciful...." Luna uttered.

Back at the forest, the thugs and their leader were struggling to their feet. Eyes once blinded by the dark tornado of blackness, cleared way to see a dark figure hunched over a coughing unicorn. Highwind and Ace looked up from their newly relocated space in the forest, both wincing in soreness after from being hurled into a tree during this unexplained outburst. A dark dragon stood there, eyes empty and glowing a pale white. A dark snarl erupted from its throat, Twilight shuddering from the very vibrations of the growl.

The leader of the group was dumbstruck. The benefactor never mentioned this about the dragon! All they said was that he was capable of an elemental based magic and was a capable adversary in close quarter combat. Nothing was mentioned about this dark magic! All around him his cloaked thugs stood, uneasy and unsure of what to do. Whether to attempt to restrain the dark beast or flee. He worked his jaw for a moment, then snarled out a command.

"Well?! Don't just stand there! Capture him!"

"Oh yes. Please do." The dark being purred in reply, its hollow voice grating and rasping against their minds, leaving many greatly uneasy.

It was all the distraction it needed. Launching from a cowering unicorn, the dark dragon struck the first two so fast and hard, both were unable to see it coming until they were hurled through the air and crashed into the ground ten feet away unconscious. The dark dragon licked its claws, the muzzle forming in to a wide, menacing grin as those eyes stared at prey.

"Do keep up with me. I've been a little rusty and may have lost my touch."

The dragon blurred, the sounds of two more thugs screaming was heard to their left. They watched as the two unfortunate thugs were yanked into the forest, the screams and shouts quickly silenced. Tension and fear was setting in, some of the attackers were huddling together. Their leader was growing angry and started to shout.

"Its just one dragon! Even with this pathetic power, we are stronger then it!"

"Then capture it yourself!" One thug shot back.

He slugged him hard sending his ally tumbling across the forest floor, watching him as he laid in a crumbled heap. Angry eyes glared from under his cowl, his fellow thugs trembled then started to spread out. It did them little good. Out of no where the dark dragon emerged behind two more smashing their skulls together, knocking them out with ease. One assailant screamed while hurling himself at the dark beast. All it earned him was a clawed paw grasping his face before the dragon smashed him bodily to the ground then lifted him up high. It dropped him before planting both hind feet into his gut and kicking, sending the attacker crashing into a nearby tree, snapping it in two. The cracked trunk groaned in protest as the tree toppled over, the remaining thugs taking this as a good sign to flee.

Despite the cursing shouts of their leader, each one took to the sky in hopes of escaping this dark entity that had appeared in place of the dragon. They never made it far. Once by one, the leader watched as the dragon appeared from the shadows, striking each one down, the cries and screams of terror ending abruptly. Now it was just him and the three ponies. Shaking and stumbling over himself, the leader felt the best choice was to take Twilight captive. He moved a couple of feet towards the unicorn when he felt a disturbing presence behind him.

"You know, I was seriously hoping for a challenge here. Instead all you gave me were cannon fodder. For a group of low life mercs, your performance has been disappointing. A pity."

The leader whirled around hoping to sucker punch the dragon. His fist was caught by a dark paw, it's talons soon sinking into his flesh and bone. He cried out in pain as the sounds of the bones in his paw started to crack and fracture, drawing him to his knees. Grunting and tugging was useless. The dark dragon had him and this strength he possessed, he could easily crush him into dust.

"So. Are you going to tell us who hired you? Or remain defiant and try some foolish attempt to catch me by surprise."

Even in pain, the survivor merely glared at those empty eyes,"I'll tell you nothing, monster."

The dark dragon sighed, shaking his head while making a disgusted sound."Simpletons and your blind allegiance to some nameless contractor who could care less about your lives."

The leader was released. Yet even as he clutched his now ruined paw, the dark dragon's right foreleg whipped into action. The eyes widened as he felt claws tear into his clothing, flesh and bone. A coughing choke sounded as he tasted metal in his mouth, his body strength leaving him. The dark dragon stood over him as the leader knelt before him, a forepaw reaching over to tear that accursed cowl from his head. Black scales shone against the pale moon light as fading yellow eyes looked up at the dark beast.

"A dragon." Highwind wheezed.

The dark dragon whipped his body around, the leader feeling the tail making contact with his skull and his world went black, the sound of bones cracking under the force of the blow. The dark being stared down at his fallen adversary, a look of disdain and disgust marred its dark features. Eyes cast over to Twilight who lay tucked under a nearby tree, having managed to crawl away from the fighting. Both pegasi guards struggled to their feet as the dark being trotted over staring down at the shivering mare. It regarded her for a minute or two then exhaled, Twilight daring not wishing to look up. She had covered her eyes when the dark entity struck, the sounds of the assailants screams and cries still echoed in her ears.

"I always thought you unicorns were all show and tell, hardly anything combative about your magic. It's nice to know you've proven me wrong, Ms.Twilight Sparkle." The pony shivered under its hollow voice, the rasping grating sound drawing chills up her spine.

"However, I can't allow you to attempt to take me out as easily you did the other. Farewell."

The dark dragon rose a fore paw claws gleaming under the pale moonlight. Twilight was frozen in fear, her body not moving to her mind commands even as it screamed at them to move despite being bound still. The pegasus guards were not faring any better, still struggling with their own bonds shouting at her to run, to crawl, to do something to escape the dark entity. The paw came down in a strike, the mare seeing her life starting to play out before her eyes as the wind whistled softly as he swiped at her. She closed her eyes and braced for her end, her only regret was that Spike was going to lose her sister, his friend, his mother.

The blow never came. Trembling the mare dared to open her eyes and found the dark dragon struggling. Its face was contorted between anger and pain, the other forepaw having halted its strike. There was conflict going on inside, the unicorn feeling as who was fighting against this entity.

You'll not lay a claw on her!

She's a threat to us! While she draws breath, it is clear this unicorn is capable of taking us out! I intend to correct this mistake while we have a chance!

She has friends, family and Spike! I will not allow you to rob them of her life!

Weak hearted Spyro! Your care for them has made you soft!

YOU'LL NOT TOUCH HER!

Twilight watched as the dragon howled in fury, both paws digging into its dark skin. Screaming in some strange tongue, the dark entity snarled at her before she watched as it ripped itself apart, Spyro emerging from within. Panting heavily, Spyro stood there on his hind legs, grasping the remnants of its essence in his paws. The dark aura she felt earlier fade the dark billowing clouds above their heads fading. Collapsing, Spyro laid there, tired eyes gazing up to the lavender unicorn as she sat there, too stunned to move or even make any attempt to even blink. The mare flinched when the dragon started to crawl over to her, flinching as she felt his fore paws on her legs.

"Will you stop squirming? Can't get these ropes off you if your wiggling around like a worm fleeing from birds." He whispered.

As a last token of freedom, he yanked the metallic ring from off her horn. The unicorn shivered as the warmth of her magic returned, glad to feel it envelop her once more. With a quick glow of her magic, she released Highwind and Aerial Ace from their bonds, both pegasi glad to be freed. Their attention turned to the body of the dragon, no one saying a word until Ace spoke.

"So, Celestia is going to have a field day when she hears the dragons made a move on us."

Spyro shook his head,"Its....heavier then you think." The male pegasus looked at him puzzled,"There were some griffons among those thugs. For a couple of nations who are tense with one another, this mercs seemed to have no problem working together."

No pony said a word. Until Twilight struck Spyro across the shoulder, earning a yelp and a wince. He rubbed the sore spot, looking rather hurt at the unicorn.

"What was that for?"

Twilight, ignoring her shoulder stared at him,"What on Equestria's green land was THAT about?" she nearly shouted in his face.

Spyro opened his muzzle to reply, when soft shouts from the distance drew pony and dragon's attention. Two ponies were coming to meet them. One pink pony bouncing along and a familiar cyan pegasus flying as fast as she could while keeping slow enough to not ditch the bubbly mare.

"Twiiiilight! Spyyyyrooo!" Rainbow Dash called.

Every pony and dragon were greatly relieved to see friendly faces this night.