• Published 8th Mar 2012
  • 17,887 Views, 543 Comments

Little Dragon in a Strange New World - Zeryurijin

  • ...
36
 543
 17,887

Home

The party Pinkie Pie had planned took place a few days later. It allowed Spike enough time to recover and regain his strength. The pink pony originally wanted it to be at the library, but thanks to Twilight and the others, she instead moved it to SugarCube Corner. It not only saved the library from becoming one huge mess, it also spared a new young hero from having clean up duty afterwards.

So it was that early evening that Spyro, Cynder, Sparx and Spike found themselves staring at the front door which would lead them inside. While Spike was familiar with getting the other two dragons to their destination, both had a hard time understanding the odd design. It reminded them of the cake Pinkie Pie presented Spyro and Sparx back on Applejack's farm. Only molded and shaped to house ponies, rather then to be consumed in a sugar fueled hunger frenzy.

"So just as we agreed, its a surprise. So act surprised. Otherwise Pinkie Pie will have a sudden last second bash just to see your reaction." Spike pointed out.

Spyro, Cynder and Sparx nodded in agreement.

"Well no sense on waiting out here watching grass grow." Sparx buzzed,"Let the stuffing of the face commence."

The small group of dragons and dragonfly entered a darkened room. As the door shut, the lights came on with a flick, Pinkie Pie bursting into the middle of the room amidst confetti, streamers and balloons, shouting,"Surprise!!"

As Spike took in the sights, Spyro and Cynder threw on their best "surprised" face. Twilight was there. So was Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie of course. The new addition were faces Spyro had not seen in some time. Big Mac was there, opening up barrels of liquid refreshments while those trio of fillies whom he remembered tried to capture him when he first arrived where here. Applebloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were in awe once more. Not because Spyro was standing before them once more, but because of the another dragon by his side. Behind the counter were two new faces.

Pinkie Pie was there, one foreleg around his neck, gesturing with the other,"That there is Mr. And Mrs. Cake. They run the shop here, so you can thank them for the use of their establishment/home for the party!"

Spyro meekly waved and likewise, the two responded with the same timid reaction. Spike was normal to them. To have two other dragons accompanying him was a bit to take in. Thankfully Pinkie Pie explained everything to them (some of the wording was hard to catch due to her fast rapid speech patterns.) so they knew what to expect. Once the quick introductions were made, every pony and dragon started to mingle and make good use of the wide assortment of sugary concocted treats made for the two. Spike admired the banner that hung from the ceiling. Done in purple with green letters it read "Thank you Spyro/Hooray for Spike the hero"

He was still getting used to being called a hero. While he recovered, the dragon opened scrolls from across the lands. Gratitude and praises from dragon, gryphon and pony alike were written on the parchments and letters. The Queen dragon herself had sent him a small medal with his name on the gold star. This Spike gave to Twilight for safekeeping and to place with his other closest treasures. A tap on his shoulder drew his attention to Twilight as she stood there.

"So what do you think?" she asked.

"Amazing. You guys outdid yourself this time." he replied motioning to the scene.

Twilight smiled and nodded,"The theme if you have not noticed is green in purple because of you and Spyro. I hope your not bothered by it."

"Of course not!" he exclaimed with a grin,"Its just a shame Princess Celestia couldn't make it."

Twilight nodded again with a light sigh,"She regrets not being here for the both of you. Alas the duties of a monarch never rests. She did ask that you try and save one of every treat so she can indulge herself when she is able to take a break."

Spike saluted,"Princess Celestia can count on me!" With that he scampered off to secure a personal stash befitting of one princess alicorn or two to enjoy at their leisure when time permitted. Twilight watched him take off then joined her friends as laughter and rambunctious conversations took place.

Cynder was taking in the sights as well, when a tap on her shoulder had her turning to see Fluttershy standing before her.

"Umm, I know Spyro and Spike are the main event. But umm, we all got together to give you a little something as well. Since, you know, you helped too."

The dragoness learned from Spyro that this pegasus was a bit shy (as her name suggested) when it came to socializing. She just didn't think her voice would lower over the course of this little talk. Fluttershy presented Cynder a cake that had her name written in cursive.

"I hope you like it. If not, that's ok. We can make you another one." the mare said.

Cynder took the offered confection with a smile,"It's wonderful. Please you don't have to create another one. This one is perfect."

"You mean it?" Fluttershy asked. Cynder nodded and draped a wing over the pegasus, resulting in a timid squeak,"Why don't we join the others. You can fill me in on what caring for animals is like."

Fluttershy smiled as she and Cynder joined the crowd who were already playing a few games.

That night Spyro learned a few things. One: Just because it says "Apple Cider" on the side of the barrel, does not mean it was the same that was served up at Applejack's farm. This one was sweeter and had a hidden kick that left him in a strange calming, if not slightly blurry eyed and tipsy. Rainbow Dash was laughing, the dragon vaguely recalling her mentioning something about him unable to hold his cider. Two: What was it about the cupcakes that made them so good that night? Spyro, Cynder and Spike managed to put away three dozen each during the course, much to the surprise of Twilight and the others. He would later learn that small edible gems were added to the batter and frosting. Thus Spyro and Cynder had their first gem infused cupcakes. They turned out very delicious. Three: Sparx seemed to have a mild addiction to the cookie tray. The dragonfly was scarfing on one cookie after the other, making a bit of a crumb mess beneath him. It took both Spyro and Cynder to have Sparx ease up before he grew too fat around the waist to even fly. Besides there were other desserts to dip into before the night was over. Four: Big Mac makes for a good listener. Still tipsy from the cider, Spyro found himself sitting next to the big red pony, rambling on about how hard it was being a dragon. The stallion kept quiet save for the occasional "Yup." or "Nope." When asked a question or two.

As Spyro spent his party night mildly drunk, Spike was having the time of his life. Up way past his usual bed time, playing games with Twilight and the others. Filling his maw with whatever he could cram (saving as much as he could for Princess Celestia and Luna before Pinkie Pie started having a sugar crash and went on a feeding frenzy.) While still too young to have cider, the fruit punch more then made up for it. He chuckled and watched as the CMC's followed Cynder around, asking her a thousand questions a minute, the dragoness doing her best to answer them. All this while at the same time being tugged in various directions by the other ponies present, wanting to getting to know her better before they departed.

Cynder herself enjoyed the party as any dragoness could. She ate half the cake given to her by Fluttershy, did her best to quell the never ending thirst of knowledge from the three fillies who followed her every where, pertaining to either Spyro or herself. She gave Rainbow Dash a run for her bits when she defeated her not once, not twice, but three times at hoof wrestling, much to the cyan mare's surprise. She learned about fashion from Rarity when the unicorn asked what her favorite attire was. She understood the complexities of growing, harvesting and making various apple products from Applejack (her cider being one of them.) Lastly there was the muffins. The dragoness could not explain why, but she found the various assortment of muffins rather tasty. Even if she had a small tug of war with a strange gray pegasus mare whose eyes were criss crossed, over the last one.

When the party came to an end, all three dragons plus one dragonfly were exhausted. As the group gave their farewells before departing for the night, Spyro had trouble walking. Still tipsy from the cider, he leaned against Cynder for support as he groaned with each step.

"So... much... food. Stomach... full." He mumbled.

Cynder rolled her eyes, muttering something about males putting away more then they could handle when it came to feasting. Sparx was out as well, bloated atop Spyro's head as he laid there past out from a food coma. Cynder looked to Twilight and admired Spike asleep on her back, a bag filled with leftovers for the princess sisters to offer when they were to be ported back.

"So did you enjoy yourself?" Twilight asked softly while shifting a sleeping dragon on her back.

"You ponies know how to throw a celebration." Cynder responded as she ignored a belch from a certain dragon leaning against her.

"Its one of Pinkie Pie's better ones I do think so myself." Twilight replied as the group approached the library tree.

Cynder watched as Twilight fumbled with the keys,"Does she have them often?"

"She's Ponyville's resident party pony planner. Any new face, birthday or celebration coming up, she handles personally."

Cynder whistled softly as they entered,"Must be tough trying to keep up with every pony living here."

"Nah, with that endless amount of energy she possess, I often wonder if there has ever been a time she's stopped for more then five minutes. Always on the move Pinkie Pie."

Cynder deposited Spyro by the couch where he joined his dragonfly brother and passed out. She watched Twilight carry Spike upstairs to put to bed before returning with a blanket and pillow.

"You don't mind the couch do you?" The lavender unicorn asked.

Cynder shook her head,"It's perfectly fine. Knowing those two, they'll sleep through anything after tonight."

Twilight giggled at the sight of the two on her floor.

"Will you be turning in as well?" Cynder asked as she climbed onto the couch.

"In a little bit. Have some light reading to go over." Twilight replied as she turned to climb the stairs.

"You and Cyril really ought to meet. You both seem to enjoy staying up late, reading everything and anything." Cynder replied with a light chuckle.

Twilight just sighed with a smile and bid the dragoness good night before she retreated to her room. a good book was waiting to be read while it rested on her pillow.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Spyro was slow to get up that morning. He groaned as noise from the kitchen disturbed his deep slumber. The dragon found himself sprawled out on the floor near a couch where Cynder had slept earlier. Sparx was still out and refused to budge despite a few nudges from his brother. Hauling himself to his feet, Spyro proceeded to the kitchen, his head ringing like an all out cannon salute performance.

"Morning sleepy head. Did you rest well?" Spike asked as he set out a few plates at the table.

Spyro responded with a light moan, clutching his head,"What was in the cider? Feels like someone popped off my head and kicked it down the roughest slope of a mountain they could find."

"The after effects of Applejack's cider. Every pony handles the hangover differently. Alas for you it seems, the morning headache is the worst."

The dragon blehed as he shuffled to his side and sat there. Twilight was across from him, her head stuck in a scroll of parchment.

"Tell me you went to bed last night, instead of staying up reading." Spyro asked.

"Stayed up a little later then I wanted to, but yes I grabbed some shut eye." The unicorn replied as she set down the scroll,"Celestia and Luna spent all night going over the spell that will take you, Cynder and Sparx home. They constructed a archway mirror that should allow easier passage between here and Avalar. They did a few tests last night with your dragon elders involving fruit. For the most part, those returned unscathed. As for living creatures... well its been a hit and miss so far."

Spyro cringed. Last thing he wanted was for him and his friends to wind up in different parts of Avalar if the spell went wrong. Or worse parts of them winding up across Avalar.

Twilight saw the look on his face,"Don't worry. We take our teleporting very serious around these parts."

"Thats easy for you to say. You don't have to worry about your tail winding up in some lava field down south while your head is freezing in the north."

A cleared throat turned everyone's attention to Cynder. She waved and joined the others at the table, just as Spike set out a stack of waffles along with a bottle of sweet apple syrup and fresh berries. Twilight swore she heard a monster growl erupting from Spyros' stomach, even as he snatched up three and began to tear into them with ravenous hunger. Cynder shook her head as she helped herself to a couple along with the berries while the unicorn herself, began to neatly cut and drizzle her share. Spike joined them soon after, taking a small helping for himself. Along with the syrup and fruit, he sprinkled gem dust on his to give it "extra flavor" as he put it.

That late morning found the group taking a chariot to Canterlot. Spyro, Cynder and Sparx sat on one side, while Twilight and spike occupied the other. The dragons were taking one last look of Ponyville and its surroundings along with the scenery unfolding before them.

Home.

Avalar was calling and Spyro felt homesick for the first time since he arrived here. How good it would be to sleep in the temple once more. No more restless nights, staring up at the sky or even taking night flights. Just him and the elder dragons with Cynder and Sparx. Spike was saddened that Spyro had to leave. But the baby dragon knew well he had to go home. Despite wanting to jump into training to live up to being a hero, the purple dragon missed his other family. All sat in silence as the chariot started to descend into the center courtyard.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

They were secretly ushered through a side entrance, so as not to gather attention. Princess Celestia did not want the whole of Canterlot to know what was going on at the time. She postponed her late morning court session so she and Luna could prepare. Instead of the secret chamber where Cynder had come from, they were settling for a vacant room in one of the upper spires. It was roomy enough to house Twilight and all her friends, along with both princesses, three dragons and one dragonfly. Spyro and Cynder admired the archway mirror. Set in rare stone, the surface was as smooth as the polished surface of silver. Runes were carved in the stone as it sat on an incantation circle.

"One of our better works of magic if I do say so."Princess Luna said with pride.

"I agree sister. Not bad for an all nighter." Princess Celestia replied.

Both turned to face the two dragons and dragonfly as they stood there. Twilight, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Applejack and Spike were group together fidgeting or shuffling in place.

"So... this is goodbye huh?" Spyro started before he and Cynder were practically smothered in a huge group hug.

"Promise you'll both visit." Spike said with tears in his eyes.

"Ya'll come by the farm when ya can. Was a big help with that darn rock awhile back. Be a mighty big help again." Applejack said.

"You are more then welcome to stay with me if Twilight can't house you. If that's ok that is." Fluttershy murmured.

"I'm looking forward to kicking both your scaly tails next time we go flying together." Rainbow Dash said.

"You may have been a dirty brute when we first met. But Spyro you've been a fine gentle dragon ever since then. You as well Cynder. Such a fine lady dragoness to keep Spyro in line no doubt." Rarity added.

Spyro felt his cheeks heat up, even as Cynder grinned from Rarity's comment

"Spike has a long journey ahead. But with you, Celestia, Luna and myself. I'm sure he'll get the hang of his power soon." Twilight said.

The two dragons were released as Celestia and Luna tapped the circle. The runes lit up and the surface began to ripple and weave until a entrance opened up. On the other side, three elder dragons paused in their daily routines and peered. Spike was floored at their size. All three looked down on him with confusion and curiousity.

"I say, Spyro old boy is that you? They shrunk you! And took your wings as well. Where are your horns?" Cyril asked.

"Umm, er.. I'm not Spyro. I'm Spike."

"Oh goodness me. Sorry about that little one. My eyes are not as sharp as they used to be. Being a purple dragon seems to have confused one as sharp witted as myself."

Spyro chuckled as he and Cynder approached the mirror. He turned to face Spike and the two stood there, unable to speak. Spyro finally made a move, ruffling his head spines.

"You take care now, Spike. You have some rather large footprints to fill you know."

Spike nodded,"Think I could visit Avalar when I'm older?"

"Well if Princess Celestia and Luna don't mind, sure."

"Awesome."

"Spyro, Cynder, and Sparx. We are thankful for all that you have done here. May your journeys be safe and fruitful and that you live long lives." Princess Celestia spoke.

Both dragons bowed as did Sparx before they turned and entered the doorway. A bright flash illuminated the room. When it cleared, they all could see Spyro, Cynder and Sparx on the other side. They turned and gave one final wave, just before the doorway closed.
Soon all they could see was their own reflection on the mirror.

Spike sighed and leaned against Twilight,"I miss him already." The dragon said as she stroked his head spines.

"We'll see him soon, Spike. C'mon lets stop by Donut Joe's place for some hot chocolate. My treat."

The baby dragon smiled and followed, the other ponies trailing behind as each talked about their memories of Spyro. Princess Celestia and Luna remained. Both alicorns turned to the mirror and gave it one final look over.

"Do you think Spike can handle this?" Princess Luna asked.

"Our world was on the brink of disaster, sister. Were it not for outside intervention on the Chronicler's part, who knows how devastating the effects would be. Have faith in the little dragon. With Spyro as his guide, Spike will be the wild card Equestria could need if the Elements should falter."

"But the Elements have never failed us."

"That's what worries me. A special dragon's dormant abilities have awoken, in Spike of all dragons. Far earlier then when he would have reached the age of 500. Even I could not have seen this coming. What are we not being told about?" Princess Celestia responded.

Luna didn't have an answer. Both alicorns stared at the gateway to Avalar and began to wonder. What other threats in Equestria remained hidden that neither sister knew of?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cyril, Volteer and Terrador were shocked. There standing before the three was Spyro alive and well, along with Sparx and Cynder. It had been a tense month for the three elders. Ever since his sudden disappearance, the elders had thought the worst had happened. That is until, the strange mammal alicorn princess from another world getting in touch. Since then messages had been few and far between them. Then came the dreaded word that the malicious dark dragon Malefor had been unleashed on Princess Celestia's world. None of them thought it possible of his resurrection yet when they were told of the events, all were shocked. After that there was little more information until a few nights ago. The same princess who had informed them of what occurred had filled them in on the details. Volteer had been asking question after question until Terrador clamped his muzzle shut, allowing the alicorn to finish. It was there they heard of Malefor's end, not at the hands of Spyro but of a tiny dragon infant named Spike. When the name of the Chronicler was mentioned, Cyril was confused as to why a lorekeeper of their world would help an outsider. Terrador excused his companion's rudeness, adding that there was some reason why another purple dragon had been chosen.

But that was for another time. Right now Spyro was back, safely under their watch and in the temple. Spyro had barely adjusted to being home, when he was surrounded by all three and peppered to no end on what must it be like to be on an entirely new world. Cynder chuckled to herself as the poor dragon was led away among the constant babbling of Volteer, the constant remarks of Cyril and the occasional word or two from Terrador.

Evening descended on Avalar. Spyro stood at the platform that overlooked the valley from the temple. All had taken to slumber while the night creatures stirred and took to the air. The dragon smiled to himself. It seemed that only yesterday he stood here, restless and uneasy. One flight later and his world had been turned upside down. Now at last he was home again.

"Your not thinking of taking a night flight are you?" Cynder asked as she joined him.

"I think I've taken one night flight too many, thank you very much. No. No it feels good to be home again after so long." Spyro replied.

He blushed as Cynder leaned against him, one wing draping around his back.

"Good. Its not the same without you here."

Spyro agreed. Avalar didn't feel the same, not without him here. Duty would call him to other lands and to Equestria to tutor Spike as he trained.

But for now the dragon of legend was home.

Author's Note:

The journey has come to an end. I want to thank everyone who read this story from start to finish, put up with the time it was placed on temporary hiatus and continued to badger me about editing it (which I will do. good gawd some of the early chapters are just horrible @.=.@;) I've come a long way since I first started this. Probably may not have finished it, were it not for you fellow readers banging on your computer centers demanding more :P

Some have gracious requested a sequel. We shall see what happens. But for now its break time.

Comments ( 23 )

And so the book comes to an end. But this does not mean the story is over. There is almost certain to be a sequel after a while.

However, as for Little dragon in a strange new world... This brings this chapter to a close.

i0.wp.com/tastelikecrazy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/standing-ovation-gif.gif
That was defiantly one of the best MLP/Spyro crossovers ever posted on this site. I can't wait to see what you have in store for us next time.

This was a joy-ride. Great fun, tons of action, and a fairly good plot line. Nice ships, as well. Hopefully, there will be sequels. Also, I cannot tell you how happy I am that you didn't spoil either game with the story. It was a fun ride, my friend.

I loved this story a bit too much. Totally hoping for a "Spike in Avalar for training" kinda sequel.

Congrats on the feature! :rainbowkiss::rainbowkiss:

Congratulations on finishing this great fic.^_^ And taking a break before making a sequel, eh? Well, if you'd like, got a number of ideas that you may find interesting. Though, it's up to you what you write in the end, eh?^_^

you take that break you deserve it its not easy doing a crossover with legend of spyro with my little pony
till then i will wait for that sequel

And so... just as all things must end, so has night fallen upon this magnificent piece of art. But just as the sun sets, so it to shall rise, may this piece rise as well one day... we shall see...
Oh look at you, being all introspective and stuff!:trollestia:
:twilightblush:

The final chapter...that was a nice conclusion to the story, I have to say. Go and enjoy that break, you earned it.

arrived where here

were

dragon fly

dragonfly

I thoroughly enjoyed this. Well done for delivering a great Spyro crossover. I have two words though; SEQUEL please?

With a build up to it another story has to come.
And as I will be voicing Spyro in a fanfilm is feels so good to see my favorite purple dragon playing hero again

Love this story. But you already gussed that.

On a completly unrelated note, you guys remember that Spike based Anime, right?
Yeah, that is oming out once we have... Say, 230 more people to sign the petition.
LINK

Still, love the story.

This is my favorite fic of all time. Nothing comes remotely close to topping it.

Awesome Story. Absolutely loved it.

5694416 Well, seeing as how I just saw the game's on Youtube, I just wanted to be sure if this was before or after Cynder.

6161002 i have to agree discord is one of the most powerful characters in canon

SEQUEL! PLEASE I BEG OF YOU!

Did anyone else think of tlos a new beginning theme music at the end?

7343751 Ohhh my god that comment was years ago and I forgot about this story >.< but now that you put my attention to this story..... read time!

MJP

8238503
the PS1 titles were better games

but the LoS titles were better stories

MJP

Activision just announced a pyro the dragon remater btw

Not bad but... What happened with Discord? Since two chapters ago that he was not mentioned

Login or register to comment