• Published 8th Mar 2012
  • 17,885 Views, 543 Comments

Little Dragon in a Strange New World - Zeryurijin

  • ...
36
 543
 17,885

often go to waste.

The mountain was hewn in two. The once solid earthen kingdom was split down the middle in part to a huge surge of power within. Sapphire had barely retreated to the side room to avoid the commotion gathering in the throne, when the back draft of the surge caught both her and a few of the followers. Now slumped against one wall, her eyes fluttered open to a scene unfolding. The lich Malefor was rising to his feet. Shards of broken earth fell from his shattered jaw while pebbles skipped from his body. Across at the far end of the throne room, a dark dragon wrapped in an eerie shadow sat there, its blank eyes staring back at his adversary.

Things were going so well in the beginning. He was wracking up a few points for ambushing some patrols along the hallways as he skulked in the shadows. The downside was looks were deceiving on the outside. This mountainous region proved to be more labyrinth. The dark one took back about his initial thoughts on their Queen making this all too easy. Even if prisoners were to escape the dungeon cells below, escape from the kingdom itself was time consuming. Which brought on problem number two. The dark crystals jutting from the walls and ceilings. Dark Spyro cursed himself for not noticing them earlier. Like silent sentries posted at the entrances, these bothersome gems were Malefor's eyes all over the lands. Of course he would have been spotted were he not as careful as his counter part. Time ran out however as an alarm was raised. Thus the dark one came to one conclusion. Burrow up. Up through who knows how many layers thick the floors were to the upper levels.

The followers whom Sapphire demanded locate Spyro and any traitor within, sent word to Malefor on the matter. What resulted was well... as Sapphire had predicted. The lich grew furious and crushed the two who informed him of the matter, snarling why he was not notified the minute the runt escaped. The former ambassador herself was arrested in her quarters, bound in chains and brought forward to answer to him. She remained smug as Malefor raged at her. For her incompetence and not jumping on the matter immediately, rather having his lackeys take care of it. Just before she would share the fate of those two fools who lied to her, a tremor emerged beneath their feet. At first, Sapphire thought she was to be crushed beneath the rocks as a means of malice from the lich. The look of confusion mixed with surprise on the lich's face snuffed that idea. A hole appeared in the middle of the room, followed by a small dark creature spinning in one place.

Eyes focused on the intruder as it unfurled its black wings, those blank eyes snapping open to survey the scene. Eyes roaming that fixated on Malefor as he stared back dumbfounded.

"Hmm, it seems I've taken a wrong turn here. Pardon me oh decrepid one. Mayhaps you know the way out of this horrid place."

Malefor lunged from his seat. Dark Spyro cackled as he drew his right foreleg back. Just as those large claws of the lich were about to enclose on the shadowed dragon, Dark Spyro brought his right foreleg, the claw inclosed in a fist forward in a right hook. Malefor felt his jaw detach as a huge earthen fist collided with his face. Earth bound and glowing green with the magic of nature, the lich felt his body collide with the wall. Dazed, the lich grunted as he rose to his feet, his anger growing at the taunting.

"All those years of trying to bring you down and all it took was one wicked right hook. Your getting slow old dragon."

"Insufferable whelp. I'll grind your bones to dust when I through draining you dry." Malefor snarled.

Dark Spyro snorted," Uuugh. How cliche' can you get? Honestly if your going to be the villain at least at some spice to the same dull, repetative speeches. "

The lich roared as red hot fire spewed from his muzzle. Those who were caught in the vicinity of the blast were incinerated. Dark Spyro just laughed and whirled his wings about him, drawing up the flames to form a fiery column of searing fire around him.

"Old AND useless. C'mon don't you have any thing new up those scales of yours? Your nothing but a rotting pile of flesh and bones, Malefor. Here. Let me show you how its REALLY done."

The aura was nauseating. It left Sapphire dazed and disoriented as she struggled for cover. The dragoness was beginning to regret thinking her plan would work out. These two outsiders were not only beyond her level of magic, but a league entirely of their own. Diving for cover, she grabbed the nearest scattered shield and brought it up for protection. As she did, the dragoness swore she heard a bell chime in the distance. Following the tone an intense heat rushed against the metallic defense, Sapphire huddled as flames licked over the edges, threatening to set her robes aflame. Seconds ticked by. The air was hot and thick with smoke. Sapphire coughed before daring to peek over the cracked shield. The throne room was scorched. Charred remains of those unlucky enough to be in the blast were all that remained. Part of the ceiling had caved in, leaving the dark sky above to rumble overhead. Lastly the very kingdom was torn in two, split down the middle. Amongst the ruin, there in the center stood the dark dragon poised and ready. Eyes scanning the scene she found Malefor emerging from an earthen dome, one he conjured up to take the brunt of the attack. Red eyes narrowed upon the dark creature before him.

Then came the laugh. It was low at first, a snicker the bubbled in its decaying throat. That snicker grew into a chuckle that rose to a crescendo of a booming laugh.

"The possessed grows bold and arrogant. All the more fun this will be when your defeat is ever more humiliating."

"Yes, yes. You'll slay me, steal my soul and go on to take over the world, blah, blah, blah. It's been done to death already! "

Malefor roared and leapt again, his decaying claws infusing with the power of lightning. Dark Spyro hissed and drew on the power of the earth as the two collided once more.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Outside the broken gates, a large flash took place. Once the light faded, Twilight, her friends, both alicorn sisters, Discord, Cynder and Kel stood before the shattered path. Cynder and Kel shook their heads, disoriented from the sudden teleportation. Kel was not used to such magics yet. The magi was lucky he was past the stage of losing his meals. Those first few months were disasterous on his stomach.

"Well, we're here." Twilight said.

The unicorn and her friends looked around while Celestia and Luna scanned for potential threats. The hoof ful of guards spread out in a defensive position, eyes and ears alert for potential threats.


"Huh. Its quiet. Too quiet ifn ya ask me," Applejack murmured,"Ah reckin with as big a followin as Malefor had, ya'd think this place be crawling with his minions like ants at a picnic."

"Now that you mention it,"Kel looked around,"Where is everyone? This place was swarming with fanatics when he invaded."

Before any pony or one could answer, a pink poofy tail began to jitter uncontrollably. Pinkie Pie yelped and clutched her spaztic part while her friends did what came naturally: They sought immediate cover whether it was rock alcoves or self made covering..

"Twitchy! Twitchy!" The pink pony exclaimed.

Kel and Cynder looked at her, most puzzled before both were yanked by alicorn and unicorn magic.

Once safely with their traveling companions, the magi was the first to reply,"What does she mean by 'Twitchy, twitchy'?"

A large body slammed through the castle doors, sending earthen remains to scatter across the grounds. The loud thud that followed sent a small tremor that the whole group felt. The guards around the alicorn sisters took up defensive positions, while Rarity turned to Kel.

"My dear magi Kel, when Pinkie Pie's tail starts to twitch its an indication of something or somepony falling. And never once has she been wrong."

Discord glanced towards the dust and debris as it started to settle,"Hmm the sky was not supposed to start falling until after lunch. That is the last time I read about the weather in this place."

The ground lurched as a creature exploded from the crater it had made upon its impact. The dull purple scales clinging to rotting muscle, sinew and bone. Tattered dragon wings whipped the air around the decaying body as a thin, bony tail lashed out to smash a few outcroppings of stone to dust. A great head emerged from the dust, red eyes flared in empty sockets as it shook itself. The lich's head snapped in the direction of the castle to the sound of wicked laughter.

Dark Spyro emerged, a leering smirk plastered on his muzzle,"So what was that about grinding my bones to make your bread?"

Malefor snarled as he lunged at his hated foe, the ground heaving beneath him body in an attempt to ram the small adversary. Dark Spyro leapt forward as the air started to grow cold, ice shards forming up around the dragon as the two met in a head on collision. Every pony and dragon ducked for cover as earth met ice, broken shards and rock either tore gaping holes in the walls of the kingdom or destroyed what little cover there was to begin with.

"This is insane!" one pony guard exclaimed,"With their power, there will be nothing left of Draconis to save if they keep this up!"

"All the more reason to end the threat now," Celestia replied as she and her sister strode forward.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

The group looked to Discord as he stood there, rubbing his hands together,"Clearly given the situation before us an attempt to halt this elemental fiasco would result in great bodily harm. Now I'm not saying we should sit back and watch the show as tempting is it may be. I think more along the lines of aiding said Spyro on bringing down Malefor in a combined effort with a surprise."

"You want to try it, be my guest. Just don't come crawling to me when the backlash of those two elemental clash knock you flat on your back Discord."

Yellow eyes fixated upon Cynder as she surveyed the skirmish between the two,"Immortal or not I do remember her majesty Celestia inform me, that while you were under Malefor's manipulation, Spyro laid you out cold." The draconequus huffed as the dragoness continued,"I need to get to Spyro and shake him out of the state he is in. The longer he remains in that state, the weaker he will become."

"I thought this... Dark Spyro as you called it was like ten times tougher, stronger and faster." Rainbow Dash pointed.

"It's true. Yet with all things of magic in nature or elevated status, when it wears off the exhaustion will be too great. Just as you were to over exert yourself while flying, Dark Spyro is continually being drained. Adding his abilities, its only speeding up to the point where he could slip into an a coma."

"That's bad right?" The cyan pegasus replied.

"Spyro will revert to his old self too tired and weak to make a stance and Malefor will let all levels of dragon fire loose. We need a distraction, preferably without getting too close."

"That's like asking me to fly except without using my wings. Malefor looks angrier then Twilight without a quill to write with."

"Hey!" The lavender mare scoffed. Rainbow Dash just shrugged. Before Twilight could scold the pegasus for such a remark, the clearing of a alicorn's throat drew every pony (and dragon's) attention.

"Luna and I will do it. Spyro and Malefor may be heavy hitters, but we can manage as well. Besides..." Twilight swore she could have seen a faint smirk spread across her mentor's muzzle,"I believe me and sister dear owe the lich a little payback for the damage wrought on Canterlot and ourselves."

"Ahem."

Both alicorns turned to see Discord polishing his nails against his chest,"Make that three. You don't think your going to let the King of Chaos just sit back and let the sisters have all the fun? Let's show this walking corpse what it means to tangle with the wrong people."

Princess Celestia knew better then to object. Discord was out for payback, much more then she and Luna. One does not simply toy with Discord and not expect repercussions.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The two dragons were on opposite ends of the battle field with they had created in their scuffle. Shards of ice melted beneath pools of magma, while arcs of lightning fizzled against jagged pieces of rock. Malefor may have siphoned much of his foe's strength, yet Dark Spyro was still keeping him on his toes. But Malefor had a minor advantage: Dark Spyro may be getting his hits in, he was starting to slow. The last elemental assault lacked the brute force he felt within the throne room. All the little black menace needed to do was slip up and it was all Malefor needed to finish him. Dark Spyro was feeling it. Hit for hit, keeping Malefor on his guard was taking a toll. His other half had cautioned against this during the bout, yet the dark half was frustrated by this. Leave it to be drained and left for dead, only to survive and waste what little energy they had left.

We're not going to last much longer. Malefor knows this. We either hit him with everything we've got or start thinking defensive. I don't know how much more we can take.

For once I agree.

"What's the matter whelp? Losing steam already? I thought you said you could go on for hours at this."

Dark Spyro growled under his breath. To be mocked when he should be the one gloating,"Since you seem eager to wind up back in your grave, I'll oblige."

Bracing against the torn ground beneath him, Dark Spyro dug in and drew up the earthen force. Malefor began drawing his neck back, sparks of electricity gathering at his teeth. The hum of power between them was intensifying, the earth shuddering before the might of legend and betrayer. Dark Spyro struck first. Whipping both forelegs in an upwards swing, a pillar of earth rose from Malefor's left intent on striking below the jaw. The lich counter by dodging, unleashing his lightning breath. Dark Spyro responded by stomping his left hindfoot on the ground, drawing up a wall imbued with green magic, a wall to absorb the blast. Shards of earth scattered as the breath struck home, the earthen barrier crumbling beneath its force. Debris and dust filled the air, obscuring both from the view of pony and dragon alike.

Dark Spyro was breathing heavily. What he wouldn't kill for some red or blue crystals to recharge himself at this moment. The ground began to tremble and he knew Malefor was making for another grab. Unfurling his wings, the dark dragon took to the sky... only to be hammered by a rotting tail, which slammed him back down to the earth. Dark Spyro could feel his body seize up upon impact, the air rushing from his lungs. Dammit! Should have seen that coming.

"And so ends the feeble rebellion of Spyro the Dragon. Avalar will know of your defeat when I turn the world to ash. All will once again know my name and fear it for a millenium." Malefor laughed triumphantly. At last Spyro was his for good. No more resistance, no more meddlesome interferences. Both worlds were his for the taking.

The dark dragon yelped as he was encased in an earthen prison, his jaws clamped shut by a rocken muzzle restraint. Malefor drew him close, watching as his squirmed against his bonds, too weak to break free.

This is not good. This is not good. This is soo not good.

Shutup,shutup,shutup! Think! You have to have some tiny reserve left.

I'm...We're spent. I'm too exhausted. Already I feel the world turning dark.

Huh... always imagined our end being that of old age or going down in a blaze of glory.

Was that... regret I just heard from you?

Before Dark Spyro could reply, he felt Malefor's eyes upon him. Glaring up at those orbs, he merely snorted and remained defiant.

"Any last words?" The lich growled with gleeful malicious intent.

"Mmmfmmppff Mmmrrfffmmmf mmmmfrrfmmm."

"What was that? I didn't quite catch it."

"Oh well, Darky Spyro said,'Has anybody ever told you, you monologue too much?' He said some other stuff, but I don't think it would be deemed appropriate for young readers."

A new voice caused both dragons to stare down. Pinkie Pie was sitting on her haunches between the two, one hoof around a glass of chocolate milk, the other holding some cotton candy. Malefor was... stumped. By the ancients how did this tiny horse manage to slip by without him even noticing it?

"Hi, I'm Pinkie Pie. You don't need to introduce yourself, I know who you are. Your a big, dumb smelly undead meanie who likes to pick on ponies and dragons smaller then you, you big bully."

Malefor lunged, attempting to make a snack out of this morsel who dared to insult him. Jaws clamped shut on ground, tearing out chunks as he drew his head back up. No tiny horse in his muzzle. The heck? No one could move that fast, not when he was that close and quick at physical striking. Eyes scanning, he noticed another thing. Spyro was no longer in his earthen prison. Instead another being sat there, legs folded, those mismatched arms tented beneath a rather wicked looking smile as yellow eyes glared back.

"Why hello there. If it isn't my former puppet master." Discord said.

"YOU?!" Malefor roared.

"Yes, me." The draconequus replied, snapping his fingers. Multiple copies of himself sprouted around the lich dragon as he sought to see them all,"Me, me, me, me, me." One copy wore a suit and adjusted a pair of sunglasses," Me too."

The lich snapped his jaws once again, snagging Discord in his maw. The draconequus exploded into confetti leaving a white pasty goo that sealed Malefor's muzzle shut. The dragon struggled and lashed about, attempting to unseal his now glued jaws.

"Tsk, tsk. If your going to behave like a rabid, wild dog then we're going to have to discipline you, make you house broken." Malefor tried lunging again, intent on bashing the fool with his skull. Discord laughed and twirled out of the way. Malefor felt something heavy smack him across the snout, which stung. Watering eyes looked to find what appeared to be layers of paper rolled up into a make shift club.

"Bad Maley! No treat!" The draconequus scolded, waving the crude weapon in front of the lich.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dark Spyro/Spyro couldn't believe their luck. On the brink of being devoured for good, Pinkie Pie of all ponies managed to not only arrive, but whisk him safely from harm. Spyro was amazed that not only Pinkie Pie was there, but the rest of her friends as well. The princesses Celestia and Luna were there as well, along with a dragon, whom was named Kel and even Sparx. But one face stood out among them. Dark Spyro could feel his grip slipping as he started to recede back into his counter part's consciousness. The dark shadow melted from the dragon, leaving behind a dirt crusted, exhausted Spyro who looked ready to collapse at any moment. Yet one dragoness who stood before him, made that fatigue melt away like snow on a spring day.

"Cynder." He murmured.

"Hey there ya big lug. Long time no see." She replied with a smile. Spyro was ready to embrace and hug the air out of her, when they heard gagging. They looked to see Rainbow Dash making faces while pointing at her mouth.

"Rainbow Dash!" Rarity exclaimed, rather cross at her action.

"I'm sorry but please! No mushy stuff okay?" The cyan pegasus replied.

Spryo nodded, only to nearly fall over were it not for Cynder keeping him up,"I know you want to play catch up, but now is not the time. We need to re-group. Discord is keeping Malefor occupied for the moment but who knows how much longer."

The dragoness looked to Twilight,"Can you teleport us to a safe distance like you did before?"

Before Twilight could reply, a great roar shook the lands. The group turned to see Malefor rip his lower jaw free from his muzzle. Though undead, his vocal chords lost none of the great terror all dragons possessed when angered. Discord floated there, removing a pair of ear plugs,"My my. I didn't give the command to speak. Such a baaad dragon." The lich re-attached his lower jaw then erupted a furious spew of fire in the draconequus's direction. Malefor was livid. No one, be it god or goddess or deity toys with him in such a manner. Discord never even flinched as he was engulfed by the flames.

Malefor laughed and called out,"Who else DARES to challenge me?"

A beam of light magic slammed into the lich's chest, hurling the dragon to burrow and leave divets into the already torn ground. As he struggled to climb out, his eyes settled on a familiar beast. This creature of white was joined by another whose color was that of night blue.

"We the royal sisters, challenge you Malefor taint and ruiner of Draconis." Princess Celestia called.

"Thou hast done great harm against both dragon and pony alike. Prepare thyself ill favored cretin for your punishment is nigh!"

Celestia winced as Luna slipped into the Royal Canterlot Voice.,"Sister, now is not the time." Luna looked back,"I only wish to make as great as an impression as you did, sister mine."

"You two!" Malefor snarled as he drew himself from the ground,"I see the beating I gave both of you was not enough when I wrecked your miserable castle. Glutton for more punishment? So be it."

"You'll find us not so easily cowed when you lack a minion to hide behind you coward!" Luna called out, her horn glowing indigo blue,"And you'll learn the price for over confidence."

"I'll burn the flesh from your bones until nothing but your charred remains lie on the ground. Just like that stupid creature Discord."

Something cold, sweet and sticky caught Malefor on the back of his head, sending the dragon tumbling once more into the crevice he had created earlier from Celestia's magical blast. The lich roared again in fury and drew his gaze to find the draconequus floating above him, looking... darker in color.

"Mmmm I do thank you for the tan Maley baby, but summer is still a ways off."Discord removed a pair of sunglasses, giving himself a once over,"Tell me will you be opening up a tanning salon soon?"

Malefor bristled at Discord's taunt. His scales clicked against hollowed bone, the great wings unfurling in anger. Spyro was in their company bringing a one on one into a possible four on one. The fire burned in his throat, itching to sear everyone and thing on this rock to ash. Yet he calmed himself. Better to think level headed then to be reckless. Rising to all feet, he closed his eyes and drew a deep breath. Which one... which one to falter and break?

The dark night colored one seemed to stand out. Craning his neck to catch sight of Luna, those red orbs narrowed as a smile peeled across his muzzle,"Yes... I can see it now. A taint not so easily washed from one such as you. Jealous and envious over an older siblings work, while yours was in vain. To be on the shadow of another when you could have done much more."

Luna grimaced and held her tongue. Cynder had warned her that he would attempt a feat. The alicorn stood tall and jutted her chin,"Thou may attempt to sway my intentions, foul beast! But we have been warned against thy trickery. Thine own determination is stronger and not so easily bent to your slithering deceit."

"Cynder... how good of you to join us again." He turned to see her standing there with the other alicorn. He chuckled darkly,"You must be desperate to get Spyro back that you would send these pitiful creatures own rulers to fight your battles while you cower in hiding."

The dragoness spat on the ground, a small glob of green goo landed a few feet away. Celestia's nose wrinkled in disgust as the sound of acid began to eat away at the earth. A poison breath the dragoness knew,"Do not judge Malefor. You sent ugly goons to do your dirty work while you hid away in the temple high above Avalar. I'd say that makes you more of a coward then all of us combined. Face it, its over. Your dark reign over this land has ended."

The earth rose up to strike all four. Luna dodged as did Celestia. Cynder rolled out of the way while Discord yawned and merely ported from one spot to the next.

"Spyro is out of the picture. You, Cynder are weak. I will crush these three miserable so called god and goddesses once more. And then... I will feast on you both."

A hail of jagged icicles rained down from the sky above. Both alicorn sisters drew up magical barriers, Cynder managing to duck under their cover as the ground was littered in frozen spears. Discord dodged rolled and skipped along, holding an umbrella bent inside out, singing to himself. Malefor took to the air, his great wings beating down. The menace draconequus was the first to go. Without his irritating tricks, the other two would fall quickly enough.

Discord laughed and avoided being snagged by those claws. The lich's reward was another loud whap! with that roll of paper the draconequus wielded like a club found its mark on his lower back. As he turned to make another attack, two magical beam struck him on his wings. Snarling he turned and unleashed a breath of fire on the two alicorns. They disappeared in a fog of shadow as Cynder hid their present location. Twilight and the others watched from cover. Truly this was a sight to be seen. To watch Princess Celestia and Luna, along with Discord and newcomer Cynder take on the lich dragon Malefor and succeeding. It was nothing short of impressive. The sounds of some pony struggling to their feet, drew her attention to Spyro. Applejack and Fluttershy were attempting to lightly restrain the dragon, but he was having none of it.

"Now ya listin Spyro. Ya done enough out thar with your dark half holdin out as long as ya can. Ya got ta rest now an let the princesses n Discord with yer friend Cynder handle that monster."

A hoof rested on his shoulder. Spyro turned to see Fluttersky nod in agreement, Rarity and Rainbow Dash giving him that look as well.

"Listen, you can't take on the burden alone. You got friends like Cynder and those other dragons to help you. Doing the hero thing solo isn't all that healthy." Twilight said.

He looked to her slightly puzzled. She smiled and gestured to her friends,"We should know. We've been in your position quite a few times."

A hard thud caused the ground to shake, drawing every pony (and dragon)'s attention. A bony clawed hand rose up from the hole of impact. Malefor climbed out of the crevice, his hide burned in some areas by Cynder's poison acid. His wings burned from the alicorn magic. Lastly his tail and muzzle were caked in this disgustingly sweet, cold concoction Discord referred to as sherbert. Magical and breath attacks was one thing. Being assaulted by foreign food was... well it was just plain wrong!

Spyro suppressed a laugh. Here he was,the dragon of legend more tired then a long day of flight training watching his most hated foe being taken down in a group effort by Cynder and the other three. There was a sense of satisfaction that Malefor was getting more then he bargained for.

"Alright, alright. I'll sit back and let your rulers, Discord and Cynder handle him." Resting on his sore legs, Spyro let a soft sigh escape,"I think I've worried all of you enough as it is. I would hate to make things worse then by rushing out there. At least we're safe and sound for now, right?"

Twilight and the other smiled about to nod, when both unicorns felt a surge of magic coming from in front of Malefor. Princess Celestia and Luna, along with Discord and Cynder also felt this surge. The lich was also puzzled. Another person joining the fray?

A light flashed and the smell of magical ozone followed.

What appeared caused dead silence. Twilight's eyes drew wide, first in shock, then in horror. Rarity felt her heart stop as Fluttershy drew in a gasp. Rainbow Dash was ready to speed out there and intervene while Applejack attempted to snag her before it was too late. Even Pinkie Pie was stunned by who was standing there before them. Princess Celestia and Luna were just as shocked. There in the middle stood Spike. He teetered for a moment then regained his balance.

"Wow. That Chronciler's magic really worked. I'm here! But wait... he said he would transport me to where my friends and every one else. But I don't see anyone. Did he make a mistake?"

The sky darkened above the dragon as he felt a looming presence above him. That darkness turned out to be someone shadow. Someone huge. Menacing. Scary. Why their very breathing was up there on the creepy factor. Gulping, the baby dragon slowly turned around and looked up. Up into the terrifying image of the lich dragon, Malefor as he stared down at the tiny creature before him. Fear took hold of Spike and the urge to flee was upon him. Yet try as he might, his legs would not budge.

"How delightful,"Boomed Malefor's voice,"A little snack."

Malefor lunged, jaws open wide to snap up Spike as the baby dragon stood there frozen in fear. Before he felt the world go dark, he heard a scream. A scream coming from Twilight as the unicorn rushed to save her little brother.

"SPIIIIKE!!"