• Published 8th Mar 2012
  • 17,888 Views, 543 Comments

Little Dragon in a Strange New World - Zeryurijin

  • ...
36
 543
 17,888

Old Foes

The fighting drowned out the storm raging outside the castle. Troops of Royal Guards clashed with the insane cultists, their shrieks of madness was lost to the roar of thunder outside. For each cultist that was either put down or restrained, two seemed to fill the gap. Even more shocking were the ones who lost their cloaks in the skirmish down below. Celestia and Luna were not dealing with just pony kind. Dragon and griffons were among the mad crowd, the glitter of malice mixing with insanity showing in their eyes.

Bright flashes of light drew their attention to either side, both alicorn sisters shielding Spyro and Twilight in the middle as six cultist unicorns appeared.

"Take him! Take him for the Dark Master!" one screamed spittle running down his chin.

They rushed blindly, colliding with the protective bubble spells both sisters had thrown up. Celestia countered, drawing on a light spell that would not only blind, but place them under a deep sleep. Luna opted for the more night methods, casting shadows and dark wisps to trap the other three, before her sleep spell was cast. Once those six were down, more flashes of mad ponies and magi griffons started to appear, crowding the balcony.

"Children of the Night! Your mistress calls! To arms! Defend thy rulers!" Luna barked.

The shadows spilling their stark shapes across the fiasco drew back, huddling in the corners, before pony shapes started to rise. Dark ponies clad in ashen purple armor emerged. Their yellow draconic eyes shimmered in the dark as powerful bat wings flapped against strong abled bodies. Luna's own guards, hoof picked and the elite of her ranks joined their white coated comrades on pushing back this tide and protecting their princess, even as the three ponies and one dragon retreated back down the upper hallway whence they came.

"The throne room!" Celestia called out.

The small group galloped down the main path, the sounds of the skirmish intensifying as more cultists sought to break through the moving wall of guards, hell bent on capturing the dragon of interest. Spyro himself was having trouble with what he had just heard them say. Malefor here? It was not possible. That dark creature was all but crushed when Avalar was re-built, his power faded and his soul banished to a eternity of suffering for his dark deeds. Managing to survive the dragon's own power was all but impossible.

There was little time to dwell on this sudden turn of event. Right now, his safety along with Twilight's was Celestia's top priority. Once this assault was beaten back, questions had to be answered and information gathered. Spyro's thought was interrupted as flashes of light up ahead revealed more. He growled under his breath and opted to increase his speed, passing by both alicorn sisters as his lowered his head. Like the mindless mobs of before, these beings blindly threw themselves at the dragon in hopes of sheer number would over power him. Alas they were not dealing with just any dragon bred in Equestria. They were dealing with a legend and not one to be taken lightly.

Three of the eight careened off Spyro's side only to have their brief moment of being airborne abruptly halted by alicorn shields. The few more unlucky ones who stood their ground were introduced to the painful end of dragon horns, burying themselves in cloth and gut alike. They were tossed as easily as Applejack tossing a hay bale, no hassle. Two more down, three remaining. They seemed hesitant and who could blame them. After watching their brothers getting thrown like the weekly trash, blind insane following was dampered by thoughts of self preservation. Oh, and the desire of not being on the receiving end of either horn or magic.

Their hesitation became their undoing as shadows leaped from the near pillars. More Night guards appeared, tossing down this small rabble to allow their mistress, her sister and friends continue to move onward. Luna nodded to her stallions as they passed through, sharp salutes followed in her wake. Once the doors were shut, they remained solid was their decree to protect their rulers at any cost. Within the throne room, all paused to take a breather. Spyro made the most to check on Sparx whom seemed to be a little on edge.

"Oh man, oh man, ooooh man. Tell me this is just some elaborate joke, with ponies hiding behind every corner waiting to send us off in a merry way. Tell me Malefor is not back and causing this fiasco." The dragon fly groaned as he rocked on his brother's head. All Spyro could do was shake his head slowly, still grasping with what they had heard back at the entrance.

"We shall look into the matter later. Right now we need to get you out of here." Luna paced,"The longer Spyro remains within these walls, the more these cultists will come. We must hide him until it is secure."

"A noble effort, Princess of the Night. But one that is both futile and vain at best."

All heads turned towards the thrones were Celestia and Luna sat. Upon them sitting leisurely was a robed figure, tall and cloaked as it casually looked the three ponies and one dragon over.

"No matter how far you traverse across the lands, how deep you may dig beneath the surface, how high you wish to fly upon the skies or how deep you plunge into the ocean depths... you can not hide him no more then you can hide your birthright."

Both princesses could feel the difference in this cultist. Perhaps the one calling the shots to the fanatical masses all around the castle. Twilight shivered, a cold chill running down from neck to tail base. Who ever this being was, there was something off about it or him, given the tone and pitch of the voice.

Celestia strode forward as Luna shielded both Spyro and the lavender mare, her horn glowing a faint aura,"Call off your mad followers and leave my castle! The laws you have broken the citizens whose minds you warped. It is unforgivable. The use of magic to alter another's mind is a grave atrocity, all nations damning those who break it."

The figure rose and stepped down for the dais, its long robed arms drew around to rest behind its back.

"Laws were meant to be bent, twisted, corrupted and broken. Laws are for the weak minded, cowering in the dark seeking some dismal light to save their pitiful existence. My master seeks to rid these lands of such and truly open these silly creatures eyes."

The alicorn paused, standing half distance between her sister, student and dragon, while their adversary remained.

"And whom is your master that you so blindly follow?" She asked in a flat voice.

"Why... the Dark Master, Malefor. Rising from the dark depths of Tartarus, his Lordship will soon lay claim to part of Draconis. Now with his followers ever gracing your doorstep, he seeks the one creature who was his bane but now shall be his salvation, Spyro. I shall make this clear and only once: Relinquish the dragon. Or watch as your precious people suffer under the Master's power."

Spyro tried stepping forward only to be blocked by Luna's foreleg,"The only reason I would ever go with you, ya nutjob is to finish what I thought was over back on Avalar!" The dragon growled as plums of smoke rose from his muzzle,"And if need be, I'll burn his ashes just for good measure! Malefor is nothing but a blight upon Equestria. By my ancestors I will end him again and make sure his demise is permanent."

"Bold, but rash small one. Your not on Avalar anymore, your in a foreign land. A land that is just as unforgiving as the rest."

Spyro heard both alicorn join at his side as Twilight and Sparx opting for cover. The three faced off against the newest adversary as it stood before them. Celestia gathered light into spheres on either side, lengthening the points into shape giving it form until twin rapiers hovered before her. Luna created cold pale light from the moon, creating similar swords to wield as she took up arms as well. As for the dragon, he concentrated until the thrum of his power started to gather at his core, strengthening tired limbs and renewing spent reserves. Princesses and legend made it clear: They were not budging nor giving in to any demands no matter who issued them.

The figure cocked its head slightly to the side,"So it is demise. So be it."

Stretching both fore arms outwards, it gathered dark red energy within its palms. Luna, Celestia and Spyro felt the negativity, the malice behind what ever magic this being knew. Like the alicorns, the figure manipulated the spheres until two blood red swords adorn each fist. Beneath the cowl, eyes narrowed as they sought the closest target.

The sun princess was first. Sensing the change in the air, she brought one sword up to counter a strike from the side, parrying the other with a low sweep. It was fast. Never has she seen a being move so quickly covering the gap between them in mere seconds without so much as breaking the sound barrier. While Celestia staved off the quick strikes, Luna moved in to assist her sister. The being sensed the younger approaching from its left. Shoving Celestia back with two quick jabs, it whirled on Luna next, driving both its blades down in an overhead blow. The smaller alicorn brought up her own swords in the nick of time as metal rang against metal, sparks dancing off the magic conjoured blades as it began to push her back. Celestia gathered herself to help her sibling as it pushed her back. Only to have the being turn on her as nimbly as a humming bird darting around a thin branch, the assault renewed upon her yet again, leaving Luna to recover.

Spyro could do nothing. He lacked any weapon to aide these princesses and even if he managed to find the means to possess such an item, wielding it was a completely different matter for he not the skill to do so. Twilight watched as her mentor and sister battled this entity. Sword rang against sword, hooves clattered upon the tile and carpeting, their shadows danced against the walls as lightning and thunder played a dark trembling bass outside. Both were hard pressed and pushed back time and time again. The figure left little opening and and kept them on the defensive. Neither sister could press for an offense, not without exposing a part of their bodies against the dark blades. They doubted their magical shields could withstand a blow, the dull thrum of dark magic humming of its weapons would render them useless.


The three broke away after another bout of sword play both alicorns panting. This was not normal. Both sisters not only had a vast knowledge of the magical arts spanning centuries, their combat skills were also very refined. Neither sister was a slouch when it came to the sword or stave, both had proven this time and again during sparring matches. Yet this cloaked being had them on their hooves and on edge with its quick speed and accurate strikes. No mortal could push them this hard yet remain so calm and relax while they both felt as if they had risen the sun and moon for twenty four hours straight. This was just a warm up. They had hardly crossed swords for barely five minutes and yet the two felt their strength waning.

"Feeling tired?" it murmured in an amusing tone,"How disappointing. Here I am going toe to toe with the rulers of Equestria and you both are winded like young foals who barely climbed a small hill."

Celestia's eyes traveled to his weapons then to her own. A few glances and it dawned upon her: Those blades were draining their power. Given how fast he moved, how often she and Luna were blocking and countered. A chuckle rising from its throat only further confirmed her suspicion,"Ahh, you've put the two together. I told you. I will have Spyro and no silly princesses are going to stop me."

It lunged with no warning, the alicorn drawing both blades up as defense. Celestia felt the weight of its swing bear down upon her weapons, felt the suttle sting of her power slowly being siphoned. She grunted as Luna felt it as well. It turned on her suddenly, lashing out with one leg to kick at the dark alicorn who blocked with her swords crossed in a crude mean of defense. The blow shook her from head to toe as she skidded back, nearly bowling over Spyro as he dodged.

"Luna!" Celestia cried out.

"Worry about your own survival dear." the being hissed and shoved her back following with a flurry of slashes and stabs, whipping those blades about. The sun princess gritted her teeth as she met him head on, parrying, blocking, counter striking, and attempting to gain a upper hoof on this fight. The figure hissed and continued to push the alicorn back, its weapons whirling about it as they met her own. As much as it enjoyed toying with these two, it had pressing matters with the capture of the purple dragon still present in the throne. It went for another side swipe which the princess countered. That's when it caught her off guard by faking the blow. As Celestia rose one rapier to counter, it brought the other sword in an upwards strike, shattering her weapon in two. She barely had time to register the fake shot before the sharp stinging bite of his swords found her foreleg, shoulder and along one cheek. Gasping as the metal bit into her fur and skin, Celestia felt unbearable cold bear down as if all the warmth of the sun had left her. She vaguely recalled Luna screaming her name as she went down on her knees, gazing up to find the figure's sword point poised near her throat.

"My dear your effort though valiant, was in vain. Farewell."

The figure thrust his blade and time seemed to slow. Celestia's mind gathered everything around it and replayed with such slowness, she could see every detail with clarity. Luna rushing to help her sister, her muzzle locked in a silent cry. Twilight emerging from the pillar, horn lit as she was starting a teleportation spell rushing to aide her teacher. The hum of the blade in front of her as it drew closer and closer, her breast its target. The cool brush of the air against her ethereal mane, the heart within her chest hammering with such a pronounced thump, she could count the tempo as it arose. The bubble shield she cast in a last ditch effort to protect herself, shattering slowly as the sword broke through like it was merely thin glass. And finally a cold realization dawning that the sun princess, the co-ruler of Equestria was about to have her life snuffed out and this dark being victorious.

The alicorn felt this and then noticed time was slowing. The figure was so confident that it had bested her and Luna, it had forgotten Spyro seeing him as no threat. So eager it was to end the alicorn's life, it failed to feel the halt of time take hold around the two. Celestia's eyes traveled to the right as a purple body collided with the being throwing it off balance. The voice muffled, snarling with curses as jaws bit down on its wrist causing it to lose the blade. She watched as Spyro twisted himself, pulling her attacker away from them both, planting both his hind legs against his chest. Then heaving off with a mighty kick, releasing the being's arm as he grunted, the alicorn bore witness as it was flung towards the nearest pillar. The spell started to fall and time taking on the normal flow. She grunted as Luna barreled into her, clutching tightly. Twilight was next shielding her as well while Spyro took up the front eyes narrowed as he fixated on the robed creature.

It cursed as it rose from the floor, a cracked indentation of where it struck the pillar. Hissing it held it's ruined arm, bones broken from the dragon's bite as it growled in anger for the physical injury the dragon inflicted upon it,"You miserable little..." Spyro just snorted and took the fallen weapon snapping the blade in two as it was nothing more but a weak twig. Spitting out the destroyed sword, he dug his feet into the tile and unfurled his wings,"You know for a stuffy all mighty Malefor follower wanna be, you sure forget about the simple rules. Like never take your eyes off of your adversary. Leaves you open."

"I'll remember that." The being cursed and drove its palms together. A loud crack of thunder roared outside as the ground began to shake. Muttering in some strange tongue, the figure weaved its arms about, one hand hanging useless, while the other gestured to the small trio,"I'll simply bring this whole castle down, to crumble into ruin at the base of the mountain then take what shall belong to my master! Let's see you inferior wretches try and stop it!!"

The castle shuddered and groaned, cracks beginning to form and spread along the walls and floors. The fighting among the walls abated as panicked shouts and cries rose up. Celestia attempted to rise, only to wince and fall once more. Her wounds stung and that utter cold that gripped them was hampering her efforts to rise. Still, she had her magic as did Luna to aide,"Help me Luna. We can not allow him to succeed!" The dark alicorn nodded and hunkered down under one of her sister's wings offering her body as support. Twilight took up the other side and both mare grunted as Celestia rose to her feet, legs shaking from being so weak so suddenly. The figure laughed at the sight its voice rising in volume as the quake intensified.

Spyro could feel the earth's power being turned against the castle and the surrounding area. The dragon shook his head while laying his feet flat on the tiled floor. It would take more effort given he was not directly in contact with the earth beneath them, but he could still feel its presence. Drawing up the green energy from within, he seeped it into the floor beneath the castle grounds, countering what ever dark spell the being was casting to rip the castle from the side of the mountain and sent it crashing to its demise along with every inhabitant. The cloaked figure could feel the dragon's interference which only renewed its efforts to end every pony, dragon and griffon alike. Snarling a few more curses, it dug into its own dark reserves as the shaking softened, intensified, softened, grew harder and abated. It was an earthen game of tug of war between Spyro and the being while Luna, Celestia and even Twilight began to gather their magic.

As strong as Spyro was talented in his magic, the being had him beat given what dark energy was coursing through him. It was beginning to win in his favor as the earth trembled with increasing tension. Their foe continued to mock them with its laughs, the aura of magic it was conjuring to seal the deed and bury them alive was reaching its final moments. But its pulse was not the only thing reverberating within the throne room. Three different auras joining as one also gathered. Luna, Celestia and her top student Twilight were huddled in a circle, their horns touching sharing lending one another the strength behind their own arts. The sun princess gathered what her sister and student was offering, honing it into a fine point, aiming it straight for the figure. It was powerful yes, but it never had dealt with all three of them simultaneously. Eyes blazing with anger and justice, the alicorn's voice rang out with a mighty tone,"Thou shalt not harm thy subjects!"

The magical beam was released catching their foe off guard. Dropping from its stance, it whipped up its good arm to deflect the attack, feeling its force all but tear into the robe. Gasping at the immense power, the foe used it ruined arm to buffer its defense. But the damage was done thanks to the bite of dragon's teeth upon flesh and bone. Speaking of the dragon, Spyro leaped back gathering the fiery flames of fire within his chest. Then with a mighty whoosh! he spewed a great line of fire to join the alicorn's attack. It was too much. The flames engulfed the creature who shrieked in agony only to have the magical aura beam follow through. Celestia nearly collapsed were Twilight and Luna not there to hold her up. Spyro joined the trio as they watched the being writhe and toss about, its cries like high pitched squealing comparable to a pair of sharp horseshoe nails scrapping down a chalkboard.

The smoldering robe fell to ruin leaving behind the full visage of who they were finally dealing with. Celestia's eyes widen, as did Luna and Twilight. It was not possible! Before them kneeling among the burning ash of the robe was a strange creature Spyro thought to have seen somewhere in the gardens a few nights ago. The mis-matched collection of body parts, the long serpentine body. Who was this creature?

"Discord!" Celestia's voice rocked Spyro from his thoughts, his head turning to look upon the trio,"Discord? What is a Discord?" The dragon asked.

He received no answer, rather instead watched as Celestia rose to her hooves despite the injuries and all but slammed the draconequus against the wall with her aura,"How did you escape?! How was it even possible to escape when the elements locked you away?!" Discord merely stared in a listless state, hardly even lifting a limb to defend himself. The alicorn was baffled by this odd behavior. Usually he would gloat, taunt, tease, mock her or do all in a single motion with hardly batting an eye. Luna, cautious as Twilight was joined her sister's side, also puzzled by the spirit of chaos... well lack of chaos.

"Sister? If we do not know any better, we would suggest perhaps he is not his own?" Celestia traded glances from her sister then to Discord, then to Twilight.

The unicorn was peering closer, eyes narrowed as they went over him with a fine tooth comb,"Luna is correct, princess. Something is off about Discord. It's like the candles are lit, but no pony is home."

The alicorn snorted and released him,"A ploy perhaps. To catch us off guard. Once we lower our defenses, he'll simply trap us or worse!"

Celestia was not falling for any tricks their old adversary may have up his lack of sleeves. The power he was throwing around earlier was beyond his usual dirty tactics. But was Malefor this powerful to contain, control and manipulate the Discord? Pieces to this puzzle was not fitting as she would have liked. Still, some nagging part of her was motioning to trust her sister and student judgement. Releasing Discord from her magical grip, her thoughts turned to Spyro. He was still there, puzzled by this turn of events, unsure of what to make of their old foe. With the dark sword broken, her strength no longer felt being drained. Her wounds still burned when she tried to set a leg down, but it was not life threatening.

Spyro looked up to see the alicorn limping towards him with Luna and Twilight supporting her. Celestia gave a light nod, which the dragon returned in earnest,"Thank you Spyro for saving me." He nodded and blew a gentle sigh of relief,"A close one there, your majesty. I hope your past victories were not this close a call as well were they?"

Behind the four, laying in a pitch black heap lay the ashen remains of the cloak Discord wore. It melted slowly, seeping together into a dark, viscorous puddle...

"I've had a few minor calls, young dragon but no. Thankfully they have not been this dire."

The dark liquid seeped into the cracks of the tile, the dazed Discord only watching it with a listless expression...

"Sister, we should fetch a first aide kit just in case. Small wounds can still cause great ill, even to some pony as great as us."

The last remnants of the liquid pulsed and shivered before disappearing within the crevice...

"Twilight, it sounds as though our guards have the upper hoof. Would you go out and send word please to have aid brought back the the throne room?"

Deep into the earth beneath the castle the pool converged, re-grouping and taking shape within soil...

The lavender unicorn nodded to her mentor and trotted down the red carpeting, approaching the double doors to rely the message.

"Well. Now that that is over, we can interrogate Discord for information abou-"

An explosion rocked the throne room with the floors beneath it following. Every pony was lifted bodily and hurled in different directions from the blast. Celestia and Luna were knocked into the thrones which toppled under the velocity of which they were tossed. Spyro felt his body collide with one of the pillars, dual sharp wracks of pain shot down his back as his wings took the brunt of the blast while his vision burst of stars and pain. Discord barely even felt the force as his body tore a hole through the wall he was slouching against. Twilight's world went dark as her head slammed against the double doors, tearing one off its hinges as it collided with the soldiers who had gathered on the other side and were preparing to enter. Part of the ceiling collapsed, falling stone and castle shingles shattered against the broken tile floor. Spyro groaned as he clutched his head while a furious wind howled in the center, causing the stain glass windows to shake and rattle in their foundations. An unearthly roar shook the castle walls, its vibrations sending cracks along the walls and contributing to even more damage to the destruction caused by the initial blast.

Rising to his feet while his aching body yelled at him, the dragon pushed himself to look around the column he was knocked into. Dark swirling clouds were gathering at the center near where the explosion occurred. A dark power was emanating from the center its force so great, the purple dragon felt as though his feet were being lifted off the floor. His claws dug in for purchase as he continued to ride out this storm, casting glances to the other fallen. Luna was sheltering Celestia with the cover of her wings, a gash across her brow noted her injury. Celestia looked a little shaken but was still managing. Both had their shields up to act as a barrier against this force. A quick glance towards the wall made note of the hole where Discord once was. Another glance towards the entrance, saw the remaining guards taking shelter as well, some carrying an unconscious Twilight across their backs. The howling scream drew his attention to the vortex as a shape finally appeared. What Spyro saw, nearly took his breath away.

A face. A face he had sworn to never see again, lost to whatever after life waited for evil dragons who dealt in dark deeds. It was grotesque to look upon. Furious red eyes stared, a partial skull jutted beneath layers of muscle, skin and scale, fading purple mixed with the greyish tones of dead flesh. Great horns curved from the back of the head over a neck partly eaten away to reveal tendon and muscle barely covering more bones. And two great fore arms rested upon the floor, ending in two great menacing clawed paws. The breathing was deep, ragged and hallow. The growls were grating on the ears and stirred even the greatest of hearts to tremble with fear. Spoke billowed from the nostrils as the half dead dragon lurched forward, its weight causing the castle to shudder with each step.

"By the ancestors..." Spyro whispered breathlessly.

"DRAGON!!!" A pegasus guard screamed out.

The great beast roared as fire spewed from its open fanged jaws, shouts from the ponies called out as they took cover. The floor was scorched beneath the blast while the ruined columns fared no better. Spitting out some language, the half dead dragon gestured with two taloned fingers. The earth erupted by the entrance, knocking back the rushing soldiers who came to their princesses aide. They were met by a rocky barrier which sent them hurling back the way they came, sealing the doorways with a thick layer of rock. Spyro quickly raced towards both princesses as they watched this dead thing trap them inside the throne room. He didn't travel very far, for he felt that harsh glare upon his back and that voice.

"Sssspyyyyrooooooo. . . ." It rumbled, the tone mixed of malice, anger and glee all rolled into one.

"Malefor." The dragon hissed back turning to confront the bigger dragon.

It lunged for him. Spyro rolled quickly to the side and regretted that maneuver. His wings screamed at him and he dreaded that the bones could very well be fractured, making flight useless. The dragon lunged for him again and would have snapped him up in his jaws, had Luna not snatched him with her aura. Malefor roared in fury as his prey was taken away, his gaze falling upon the dark alicorn standing on the dais with Spyro being placed behind her to join her sister.

"Begone foul wretch! Thou has no place among our kingdom!" Luna barked at the corpse.

"W.. what is she doing?! Your sister is crazy, she has no idea what Malefor was capable of... is capable of." Spyro hissed as he winced, being held down by Celestia.

Before she could ask her sibling the same, the great dragon made his move. Drawing two talons up, it uttered the harsh language once more. Pointing one talon at the defiant alicorn, a bolt of lightning shot from its tip towards Luna. The alicorn responded by gathering up her magic, creating a shield to deflect the blow. It careened off her dome, the arch shattering one of the few columns that survived the abuse of the elements being let loose upon the room. Malefor laughed an evil cackle, the empty guffaw echoed throughout Canterlot. He spoke nothing instead drawing up two talons. The same spell was uttered and a stronger bolt of lightning was unleashed towards the princess of the night. This blast shook her to her knees as her dome wavered under the second assault, a stain glass window taking the brunt of the force.

"Luna stop! He'll kill you!" Celestia cried out.

"Be still sister! Thou are weakened and in no condition to battle!" Came her reply.

Malefor spread his remaining talons as five arches of lightning gathered into one blast. Luna felt her heart stop as the attack shattered her dome, the strong electrical pulse bore down upon her. Time started to slow as the blinding light from the lightning forced her to shut her eyes. The alicorn felt some pony knock her to the ground, the burning heat of the bolt missing her by inches. A scream, a great cry of agonizing pain, the smell of flesh being charred and then the feel of a body collapsing atop her. Luna could barely make out any more details as her world went dark.

Celestia was stunned. Spyro had saved her sister by knocking her hard to the floor just as her barrier broke. The poor dragon took the brunt of that attack, the sight of him arching up in pain as lightning coursed through his body, far greater then anything he was capable of producing. His cry of pain still rang in her ears even as she struggled to reach them both. The alicorn reached out to grab him with her magic when a great paw wrapped itself around her, squeezing the breath from her lungs. She struggled and yelped as Malefor lifted her up no more as if she were but a rag pony doll. In his other great taloned fist was the form of Spyro. Eyes blazoned with anger she turned them upon the dragon whose own red orbs stared back.

"You have a strong spirit, alicorn of the sun. Which is why I will not crush you were you stand. You will live. So that you may see your kingdom destroyed by my own might."

Malefor released Celestia. She felt the bite of cold as ice trapping her body until she was encased in a frozen tomb. Eyes watched behind the frozen wall as the dark dragon lumbered to the spot where he first appeared. Her blood burned at the sight of the destruction Malefor had caused upon her room, her castle, her soldiers, her kingdom, her sister. Calling on the power of the sun, her horn burned a great light as the ice began to melt. Even as it started to crack and fracture, the dragon called upon that dark vortex once again, concealing him along with Spyro in its swirling clouds of dark power.

The princess of the sun screamed in anger as her prison was broken, releasing her from the chilled confines. Horn burning brightly she landed and whirled her head, shooting a powerful beam at the center. The clouds dissipated leaving nothing but a crater of where Malefor once stood.

Celestia was too late. The great dragon was gone with Spyro as his captive.