• Published 4th Nov 2013
  • 4,092 Views, 316 Comments

Clyde's Tales - Salivanth



A collection of fairy tales featuring an eminently sensible earth pony named Clyde.

  • ...
10
 316
 4,092

Clyde and the Tenants

Once upon a time, there was an eminently sensible earth pony named Clyde; an ancestor of our beloved Clyde but with the same sensibility and work ethic from working on his rock farm.

One day he received news that his great-uncle Shepherd had died and left him a working rock farm on the other side of Equestria.

"Since I don’t want to move the family," he thought, "I’ll lease the farm out to a group of workers who will live there and work the farm and harvest the crop at the end of the year. These workers will sell the crop and will receive their wages, with the rest of the bits returning to me."

So Clyde placed an ad in the paper with the details of the offer, and soon a group of Diamond Dogs responded to the offer saying that they’d like to work the farm. Clyde took a train to the new farm, met the tenants, and signed a contract with them before returning home.

When harvest time came around, Clyde waited for the check from the tenants, but after a week nothing came, so he sent one of his farm hands to check on the farm. A day later he returned bruised and beaten.

"What happened?" He asked Garlic Scape.

"Boss, I brought the message to those dogs, but they jeered at me and ganged up on me; there's easily twenty of them."

Clyde's wife came to him and said," Clyde, we need to save your uncle's farm. We have twenty strong farm hands that we could send to take back the farm; we could even send our son, they'd respect him."

"Granite," Clyde said to his wife, "do you value the farm more than you value the life of your son, or the farm workers who have loyally worked for me for years? These dogs have shown that they will do whatever it takes to keep the farm. Do you think that they will respect one stallion, our son, or will not put up a fight with our workers? No matter what, if we choose to fight them, we will be the ones who end up suffering the most loss. However, these dogs may not respect me or my family, but there is someone that they will respect."

Clyde then went to his closet and packed a knapsack with the essentials and grabbed some bits out of their rainy-day fund before heading out the door.

One day later, Clyde arrived at his Uncle Shepherd's farm and was met by the Diamond Dogs.

"Well, if it isn't Clyde Pie..."

"Whatcha doing here, Clyde?"

"Here to take back the farm?" The three dogs chorused

"As a matter of fact, yes. You dogs signed an agreement, and when I tried to mediate the situation, you hurt my best farm hand. This is your last chance—"

"Fat chance, Piehead"

"He was a pushover!"

"You can't take all of us on!"

"No...No I can't...but she can!" Clyde agreed, gesturing up with his head. When the dogs looked up, they saw an armored Princess Celestia diving rapidly towards them, her horn glowing with infernal magic.

"RUN!!!" The dogs howled as they scampered off down the long country road back to the train station.

"I hope that got the message across," Celestia said as she landed beside Clyde.

"I think so. Thank you, again, your highness, for taking time out of your day to help me. All that's left now is to find some new tenants...." Clyde mused,

Celestia smiled,"You are quite welcome, Clyde, and actually, I think I might know the right tenants for your farm."

Clyde met with the family of earth ponies who Celestia knew, and he immediately approved of them after seeing their character and commitment to each other. Under their plow, the farm reaped bountiful carats of precious metals and stones.

Moral: In a dog-eat-dog world, sometimes the solution is to get a bigger dog.

Author's Note:

By TheLevelHeadedBrony.