• Published 4th Nov 2013
  • 4,092 Views, 316 Comments

Clyde's Tales - Salivanth



A collection of fairy tales featuring an eminently sensible earth pony named Clyde.

  • ...
10
 316
 4,092

Clyde and the Chicken

Once upon a time, an excitable chicken named Chicken Little was walking a on a path, on her way to her good friend Henny Penny's house for lunch. As she walked along, an acorn fell from a tree growing beside the path and hit her on the head. This scared Chicken Little so much that she trembled from head to toe, and half of her feathers fell out.

"Help! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! I have to tell Princess Celestia!"

So Chicken Little ran in a great fright to see the princess. Along the way, she ran into an earth pony named Clyde.

"Where are you going in such a hurry, Chicken Little?" Clyde asked.

"Oh, Clyde! Help! The sky is falling!"

"How do you know?"

"I saw it with my own eyes, and heard it with my own ears, and part of it fell on my head!" Chicken Little exclaimed.

Clyde, being the eminently sensible pony that he was, was skeptical.

"I'd like to see the piece of sky that hit you. Do you remember where you were when it fell?"

Thinking back to the incident, Chicken Little shuddered in fear.

"I never will forget," she said.

"Please, show me."

Chicken Little retraced her steps with Clyde following close behind.

"It was somewhere around here. I remember because I was admiring how beautifully Ducky Lucky's rose bush had bloomed this year when the sky began to fall."

Clyde looked around.

"Was the object that hit you small?"

Chicken Little nodded, "About the size of a small rock."

Clyde walked over to the acorn tree and picked up one of the acorns that had fallen on the path with his teeth.

"Could this be what hit you?"

Chicken Little was stunned. At first, she started to object, but the more she thought about it, the more sense it made.

"I...suppose so," she said embarrassed, "I'm sorry for alarming you."

Clyde smiled, "No need to apologize. Come, help me gather up some of these acorns."

Chicken Little happily obliged, and helped Clyde carry them to his home. Once there, Clyde's daughter Pinkie took the acorns and showed Chicken Little how to bake acorn maple shortbread cookies. They were delicious.

The moral of the story is: A fool soon makes up his mind, but a wise man waits and considers.

Author's Note:

By Thomas Hunter.