• Published 27th Oct 2013
  • 477 Views, 1 Comments

Starlight Venue - swingbeat



the tale of a pony, a princess, and a style of music that has almost been forgotten in Equestria and their tale of bringing it back.

  • ...
 1
 477

Opening Night Hiccups

The cacophony of instruments tuning and checking and rechecking their respective maintenance parts was a din in the background as our manager for the restaurant and bar. Spazzy Twister was living up to her name, going over everything with a fine tooth comb as she had me check with her over everything.

“Let's see...Various wines and ciders? Check. Napkins folded neatly? Check. All silverware polished to a shine that makes Celestia's sun look dull? Triple check.” She eyed a piece of silver and found a speck
on it. “GET THIS THING TO THE DISH WASHER, STAT!” she yelled as she flipped the offending spoon back through the kitchen and into the sink.


“Let's see anything I am missing...” She was flipping through a set of checklists that had made Twilight Sparkle look like she was relaxed. As she did, I nonchalantly slipped a gag list that asked for 200 rubber ducks and Big Macintosh “in drag”.

When she finally reached the list, I gave her, she was in a frenzy and said, “Sweet Celestia's mother! Runabout, go find 200 rubber ducks! And you!” She pointed to Big Mac, who was finishing his deliver of cider. “Get in a dress, NOW!”

As she zoomed off to her next batch of lists, I was on the floor laughing hysterically, all the while Big Mac said one of his only words i ever him him speak...

“Nope.”


Soon I was with the band, warming up the vocals again with Hercule, when Rhythm came in. When I asked her if Olive would attend tonight she said, “She will, but only the first hour or so, then I will take her home, because after that, I know we’ll play more raunchy music.”

“Good idea.”

As she left, there was a noticeable pep in her step, something Hercule was kind enough to point out.

“What's with that Swing? Find your special somepony?”

“No she's not!”

He grinned. “Rhythm and Swing Beat sitting in a tree...” sang Hercule, tickling the ivories as he did.

“Shut up you feather brain,” I growled.

“B-U-C-K-I-N-G!”

Oh, I was going to kill this guy. Taking my magic, I closed the piano key lid on his claws. while Hercule was shaking out the pain,Spit Valve was busy making notes on his music when I asked how he was doing.

“Well, other than a few hiccups, I think I will survive my first major appearance.”

“Don't sweat it. Your brother was a wet blanket when we performed for Luna the first time and you can tell that to him. He was shaking like a leaf and half of the notes came out wrong because of nerves.”

“Really?”

“On the sisters' honor! So just relax. After all, this is supposed to be a fun night of singing, dancing, music, and cider, as well as everything else that comes with an opening night party.”


Finally, it was time for the doors to open and I heard the hubbub outside. This was it. The moment I waited for. Three months in the making. Princess Luna was going to be here, as well as the who's-who in all of Equestrian Jazz and Swing were about to be reborn. Oh, I was so…

“Where is everypony?”

...What?

“I swore I heard the bustle of populace outside, but there's not a single soul, save for one little filly,” said the doorpony.

“The name is Olive! You guys locked me out!” Rhythm went to her daughter and ushered her in.

“Perhaps our clock is wrong?” I asked, checking my new watch which was set to the clock tower, then I glanced at the clock here. Nope, they were the same.

“Are you bu…”

“No foul language until after 8, got that Spits?” scolded
Rhythm.

“What if one of us is part fowl? I can't speak then?” Hercule asked.

“You know exactly what I mean mister!”

“Stop the fighting! We need to figure out what happened. Did Derpy deliver the fliers we sent her?”

“Yeah, she did.”

“Let me see one of those,” requested Pundy.

We all glanced at the flier.

“Grand opening of The Starlight Venue
-November 12
-6 o'clock p.m.”

I looked at it. “I don't know what's wrong with it,” I said.

Pundy looked at it then looked at the clandar and pointed to it saying, “Everything is right except for the date. Today is November the 11th. The hustle and bustle you heard was the Cinima's grand unveiling of the movie ‘Daring Do and the Ruby Unicorn’.”

There were only three of us in that entire place that didn't facehoof or do some derivative of that.


24 hours later...


“Let's try this again, shall we?” I said as I glanced out the window of the venue. Outside, there were a host of ponies and a few others, such as the mysterious Zecora (invited by Pundy), two griffons, including Hercule's old band mate, Gilda. Then, finally trying to brush off the attention, was the Elements of Harmony and Princess Luna. I have a feeling they’re the main reason everyone came out tonight. But, a crowds a crowd, so you play whatever you get. As the doorpony said for me to get to the stage, the restaurant staff went to positions, and when I did and everything was set, I told the band to start playing.

The drums began as the doors opened and as the folks walked, hovered, and trotted in. I was at the head of the stage with my hoof keeping time, Pundy was going at it like a mad mare, Spits and the trumpet section were blowing their hearts out, Hercule was occasionally tickling the ivories, and the wood winds and sax were tooting as the song played. There were more than a few ponies who were doing little dances to it. Then, as the song neared its end, we heard the sound of applause.

As I caught my breath after that fast paced intro, I said, “Hope you were applauding because we were that good and not that it's over.” This earned a few chuckles

“Well ladies and gentlecolts, welcome. Welcome one and all. As you know, this is the first time the venue has officially played for an audiance, minus, of coarse, the times you heard us practice, in which if you did, we’ve gotten better. I promise.” I motioned to the band saying, “This here is the band, the guys and gals you should applaud, 'cause all I am is just the doofus who stands and waves a hoof in the air and occasionally belts out a sour note or two.”

As the laughter calmed down i continued. “Now, before we begin, I want to give a special shutout to the only blue alicorn in the room. Without her love for this music, we would never had been inspired to join forces and revive this stuff. Princess Luna, care to give a few words?”

She shook her head as she took off her crown and said in a voice above the quiet din, “When I am here, I am not a princess. I am a pony who just wants to listen to her music and enjoy herself.”

“Straight from the lips of Luna folks! Now how about we get get this party started off, shall we?”

As the band played, the ponies ordered their drinks and food, some of the kids did little dances on the floor in front of the stage, and everywhere was merriment.

Luna smiled.

After the next few songs, it was approaching 8 which, was the time that all ponies under the age of 18 had to leave, so we shifted gears and began to play slower Swing and smooth Jazz. When it was finally eight, Rhythm left to pick up Olive from her table and took her home, which was also the time in which some of the band took their breaks, leaving Hercule and I on stage.

“Alright folks, this is where we jet for a bit so we can get some rest, but we will be back in an hour. Until then, Hercule, you got the helm.”

The night was still very young and I was just getting warmed up. But first, food. As I went back to the kitchen, I asked the cook to make me a sandwich so I can go and sit out in the audience. After that, I took my sandwich and stole away to Luna's table, who, as unsurprisingly as it was, was enraptured at just how the piano sounded.

When I sat, she said, “Swing Beat, when I first began this idea, I had my doubts I will confess, but so did you.”

“I did,” I replied as I took a bite of my sandwich.

“Well I am glad to say that you not only managed to turn a crazy idea into a reality, but you fulfilled my greatest wish, which was to make a place where ponies could enjoy the night,” she said as she looked up through the sky light that we had Twilight enchant so that it skipped the second floor and showed the roofs veiw of the night sky. (This served a dual purpose. One, to play under the stars, and two, to keep us dry during the rains.)

“I am pleased that you think so, Luna.”

“This really is what I had imagined when I create my nights.”

She was pleased. As she took a sip from her wine, I saw Rhythm walk back in. I waved her over to the table where Rhythm thanked her for greeting Olive.

“Tis nothing my dear. She is lucky to have a mother like you, and I feel that she will follow in your hoofsteps as she grows.”

“Let's hope not. I made some dumb ideas in my life, one of them resulted in her, but I love her all the same and I wouldn't do a thing different. So Swing...” She turned to me. “What's the plan? Play smooth for awhile then shift again?”

“Yeah, that's the plan,” I replied.

Luna then asked, “I remember learning how to do a small dance that fits with your faster music, Swing Beat. Might I ask that you assist me in this dance?”

“Sure, I guess”

Worse words were never spoken...

It began simply enough. We had just finished “Green Dolphin Street” with a medium tempo before getting back with the Swing style. When we did, we played a song called “Big Time Operator” with our second male vocalist to take charge as Luna went down to the dance floor and i went down as well and we took our positions (it is worth to note that I had practiced a bit because I knew that when we started up the venue ponies would ask about it and I needed to be able to dance to teach the young ones how to). Then, the music began.

As the cadence (not the princess) began to swing, we locked hooves and spun and danced at a leisurely pace. That's when we went skyward and I quickly learned we were doing Cloudsdale Swing. As she gripped my hooves and flew tight loops, pulling at least three g’s, we did a few wing rolls, a few drops, then returned to the ground, did some spins, then took off again. A few more loops, then during the wing roll into a loop I lost my grip and went straight through ceiling and on past the roof. Luna still was dancing when the band ended, but quickly returned when Luna looked puzzled (or so I heard) as I crashed landed into the pond. When my daze was over, I was looking at a very confused duck, and after collecting the last few minutes of my life that just happened, I trotted back to the venue where music was still playing without me. However, Luna had walked outside to find me and after I told her that it was my fault for not knowing the dance, she still tried to apologize.


The rest of the night was much of a success after I had gotten dry and I told the handypony to tarp the holes up for us to fix in the morning. Soon, after two more hours of a mix of Swing, Jazz, and just plain band music, it was time for us to put up the instruments and after a rousing cheer from the ponies present and a heartfelt dedication from Luna, the venue was empty again, save for the last few band members who were about to walk out the door to go home and rest for the remainder of the night. As they waved goodbye, I was left with the venue with only Luna and Rhythm left.

“I still am sorry that I flung you out into a pond Swing Beat.”

“It is perfectly fine. What kind of establishment doesn't have hiccups on the first night?” I said as I drew the curtain on the stage.

“Besides, I think that it was good that you showed your wild side tonight.”

“Still, I wish I controlled myself a lot better. But when I was dancing, I lost it and well…”

“Don't dwell on it Luna. If anything, it will make one heckuva story to tell your sister and the news. I can see it already. ‘Princess Luna flings unicorn moonward bound!’.” We all laughed at this and as Luna bid us farewell and took off for Canterlot again (making numerous corrections thanks to the many, many drinks she had), it left me and Rhythm alone in the venue.

“Well, I guess I will see you later Swing. I have to say, this has been the best night of my life. Thank you so much for bringing me into it.”

“Hey, thank yourself. Your bass playing is what got you here, not me.”

“Well, still. Thank you. And I know that Olive thanks you too. It's strange, though, she has never acted like she has nowadays with you when I was dating other ponies. She seems almost as happy as I was when I got my cutiemark in bass playing.”

“Well, that's good to hear. Good night Rhythm.”

“Good night Swing,” she said back as the last hair of her tail disappeared behind the closing door.

I sighed and I looked at the now empty venue with a sense of pride. The tables were still a little messy, but we’ll get to those after some sleep. I then looked at the stage. With the instruments having been played on and making beautiful music and finally, before I laid my head to sleep off the opening night party I took a look at the now gaping hole that was in my shape,and made a mental note. Next time I need to keep my hooves on the ground.

Author's Note:

Well it took me long enough, this is the first arc of my story I know I left a lot of open ended things such as what were Pundy and Hercule like before? Will Swing Beat and Rhythm hook up? Will Luna win the rights to the royal pastry chef? All these as so much more will be written after I finish with my other stories. As this is my favorite story, but I know I got to finish DAL and I have another one in the works.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment