• Published 29th Feb 2012
  • 10,056 Views, 739 Comments

Rising Sun - Jet Howitzer



OC(2nd person) is introduced to Equestria, and finds new friends, and enemies

  • ...
29
 739
 10,056

Chapter 28: Shouts and Tears

(Here is Chapter 28. Enjoy, and be sure to rate and comment. I may come back to this at a later date and edit it, but I want to see how it does first.)

“Your father will be glad you came, Pinkamena. He’s been wanting to speak with you for months, now.” Pinkie’s smile grows just a bit, but then the mare in the door looks at you. “And you are?”

Before you can reply Pinkie jumps in. “He’s one of my best friends, and I asked him to come with me. And I won’t let you send him away.” The mare looks at you, and she sighs.

“I wasn’t going to send him away. He’s welcome to stay if he’s a friend of yours.” Pinkie visibly relaxes with that declaration. The mare steps aside, and you follow Pinkie into the house. The inside is so bland, and gray, that you can actually feel how oppressive it is. Everything is in shades of gray, and you fid it hard to maintain good depth perception because of it. You follow Pinkie, and her mother, and soon you stop outside of a door.

“Your father would like to see you, Pinkamena.” Pinkie’s mother opens the door, and Pinkie goes in. Before you can follow Pinkie’s mother closes the door behind her. “I don’t want you going in there unless one of them asks for you.” You nod, understanding that this meeting really should be between father and daughter only.

“I understand, Mrs. Pie. Although I am surprised that you allowed me in here so readily.”

“Well, when I saw my daughter approaching with a strange stallion I was concerned at first. But when Pinkamena jumped in so quickly I knew that she’d only come in if I allowed you to come in as well. Now that you’re in, I want to know who you are.”

Just as you are about to reply you hear a shout come from the bedroom, and Mrs. Pie throws open the door just as a crying Pinkie bolts from the room. Less than five minutes? I’m depressingly impressed.

Mrs. Pie enters the room, and you follow her in. Mr. Pie is reclining on the bed, and he has a grimace on his face. “What is it now, Clyde?” Mr. Pie, who you now know is called Clyde, is breathing heavily, and he has a heavy flush to his cheeks.

“That useless daughter of mine still insists on throwing parties, rather than making something of herself. I won’t stand her being in this house while she disrespects me.” Then his gaze falls on you, and his eyes narrow. “And who the buck are you?” Mrs. Pie gasps at this, but you don’t mind that.

“I’m Storm Runner. I came here with Pinkie, since she asked me to.”

“Oh? And why would you do that? Are you sleeping with her? Or is she just some floozy who you picked up for a few days?” Your jaw drops. Is he really talking about his own daughter like that?

“I… Mr. Pie, I don’t know how to respond to that. Where I come from that is not the way you greet somepony, even if you suspect it. I am appalled that you would speak to your daughter that way, given how long it has been since you last saw her.”

“Oh, and who are you to lecture me on how to speak to my daughter? I had high hopes for her, and she cast them aside so that she could throw parties? How would you act if everything you wanted from your child was cast aside so blatantly?”

“Well, Mr. Pie, if it was what my child wanted, then I’d support them every step of the way. Your children aren’t around for you to live vicariously through them; they’re living ponies, with minds of their own.” You stop for a moment, and you collect yourself. “If this is how you treat all your daughters then I’m not surprised that they all left. I’ve never once questioned the parenting strategies I’ve seen, but yours is on a whole new level.”

As you finish you turn around, and leave the room. Unsure of the layout of the house you stumble around some, until you find the living room. You sit down on the couch, and you put your head in your hooves. “Sweet Celestia, what do I do now?”

You are beyond confused, and you have no idea what to do. Short of a miracle there is no chance for Pinkie to leave on good terms with her father. That stallion is the most pig-headed pony I have ever met. Hell, I thought I could be stubborn, but this guy beats me hands down. You stare up at the ceiling for a moment, and then you hear the sound of hooves approaching.

“Please forgive my husband. He only wants… wanted what he thought was best for our daughters. Don’t think too badly of him.”

“Mrs. Pie, it’s too late for that. I just don’t understand how he could talk about Pinkie that way. And then he insults me? He’s lucky I have excellent self-control.”

You hear a sniffle, and you look at Mrs. Pie. She’s crying, and despite yourself you feel some sympathy for the poor mare. “I’m certain things will work out in the end, Mrs. Pie.”

“I doubt it. Clyde only has a couple of days left, if that. The disease is eating away at his nervous system, and he likely won’t survive much longer. I was hoping for more time, but it seems that there won’t be any closure for Pinkamena.”

“What do you mean, he won’t last much longer? He has to make up with Pinkie before he dies! I lost my father when I was younger, and I won’t let it happen to Pinkie. At least, not without closure.” You stand up, and look to Mrs. Pie. “I will make your daughter happy, Mrs. Pie. I promise you that I won’t let your husband die until he makes up with Pinkie.” She gives a solemn nod, and you turn and head back to Clyde’s room.

You throw open the door, and Mr. Pie meets your gaze immediately. “You again? I’ve had enough of you.”

“Tough shit. I’m here to talk to you, and you’re gonna listen.” You grab a chair from the small desk in the room, and you bring it next to the bed. “What is your issue with Pinkie doing what she wants to in life? What is so important to you that you are willing to shout at your daughter like that? Especially now, when you’re dying.”

Clyde looks away from you, and you know you struck a nerve. “I didn’t want her to leave so early in her life. I lost my temper all those years ago, and I was too damn stubborn to see that. Even now, on my deathbed, I can’t admit I was wrong. Something inside me doesn’t want to admit I was wrong.”

“Mr. Pie, you need to realize that Pinkie’s happiness should have always been your goal-”

“And it was! I just wanted better for her than I had for myself. When I met Roxy I was the happiest Stallion I could be. Then, just a few years later Pinkamena was born, and once again I felt happier than I thought possible. Then Octavia and Symphony were born. Storm, I was the happiest stallion around, and I wanted the same for my daughters. I had been sad for so long, and I wanted more for them. But the rock farm never took off, so I was forced to make sacrifices for them. It wasn’t enough, though, and so they all had to suffer for it.

“I had so many plans for my daughters, and all it needed was some money, but it never came. Then, when Pinkie threw that first party I was overjoyed for her. She had found what she was good at, and I was happy for her. But then I realized where the money for the party had come from. I overreacted to what she did, but I thought what I was doing was for the best. Then she left home. She left, and with it she took so many of my dreams for her.” He begins to tear up some. “Then, just a few months later both Octavia and Symphony left. I was heartbroken by it, but I was still too stubborn to admit that I was wrong. I should’ve let them be their own mares.”

“Mr. Pie, it’s not too late to apologize to Pinkie. You just need to explain to her what you explained to me.”

“It’s not that easy! You’re a stranger to me. I’ve done you no wrong, and so you’re easy to talk to. But Pinkie? She’s my first born daughter. She means the world to me, and I’ve hurt her. I yelled at her for being who she wants to be.”

A silence falls on the room, and you stand up, and move closer to Clyde. “Clyde, I’m going to go find Pinkie, and bring her here. You need to choose your words wisely when she comes back. I made a promise to make sure that she didn’t get hurt, and I intend to protect her from emotional harm just as much as physical harm. And I also promised your wife that I’d make sure that you made up with Pinkie before you died. Don’t make me a liar, Clyde.” You walked from the room, and Roxy was there waiting for you.

You give her a quick nod, and you walk past her, and head outside. You look around the farm, and you can’t see anything that would indicate where Pinkie is. You roam the farm for a few minutes, until you pass by the barn, and you hear some soft sobbing. You push the door open, and you spot Pinkie sitting on top of a small pile of rocks.

“Pinkie?”

Her head snaps around when you speak, and there are tears streaming down her face. “Pinkie’s not here!” You take an involuntary step back at her outburst. You muster your courage, and you cautiously approach the prone pony. She is still sobbing, and you make no moves to stop her. You get up next to her, and you take a seat.

“Go away. I want to be alone. Just like before. Just like every other time Pinkie lets me come out.” You look down at her, and you resist the urge to back away. “I’m always there, watching the world through her eyes. I am a passenger in my own body, and only when Pinkie hits emotional low points do I come out.”

“Pinkamena?”

“Yes. After Pinkie left home I began forming in her subconscious. It wasn’t until Discord’s interference that I was given true life, though. Now she actively suppresses me.”

“Why?”

“She thinks that I’m evil. I just want to be normal, like her. But every time she lets me out her mind is in such turmoil that I can’t do anything with her body.”

“I don’t think you’re evil. You just need to come to terms with Pinkie, rather than be a suppressed part of her.”

“But she won’t let me. I have come to represent her sadness, and she is always happy!”

“Well than you need to change who you are. You an Pinkie need to come to an arrangement of some sort, so that neither party is controlling the other.” You put a hoof on her shoulder, and she looks up at you, tears on her face. “Pinkamena, I don’t want you to suffer any more, but I need Pinkie right now.”

Pinkamena looks down for a moment, and then she sits up, and looks at you. “Alright. But I want to be able to talk to you again.”

“I promise that we can talk more.”

You watch Pinkie/Pinkamena intently for a moment, and then you see it. Her eyes change just the tiniest bit. If you hadn’t been staring you would’ve easily missed it.

“Nopony has ever been able to talk Pinkamena down like that.” Pinkie lunges at you, and gives you a massive hug. “Thank you, Storm.”

“Don’t thank me yet, Pinkie. You need to go and talk with your father again. I’ve spoken with him already, and now I need you to speak with him.” Pinkie nods, and you lead her back to the farmhouse. You walk to Mr. Pie’s door, and you slowly open it. Inside you see Clyde in the same position as when you left, and you look him in the eye before Pinkie enters the room.

You close the door behind her, and you sit down in the hallway. The things I do for love…

You doze off for a while, and when you wake up you notice Mrs. Pie sitting down across from you. She isn’t staring at you, but you happen to wake up while she is looking at you.

“Oh, you’re awake.” She gives a small smile, and you return it. “They’ve been in there for almost an hour, now.” You nod, and she continues. “Since they’re talking, I figured I could get to know my daughter’s coltfriend.”

“Whoa, hey. I’m not her coltfriend.” Mrs. Pie frowns at that. “I mean, I am one of her best friends, but I don’t think of her as my marefriend.”

“Oh? Well then. Why don’t you tell me who you are, then?”

Before you can respond the door opens, and Pinkie is standing there, tears on her face, but a smile present. You quickly stand, and Pinkie shakes her head. She looks to Mrs. Pie, and she frowns. “Daddy’s gone.”

(Sad ending is sad. Fear not, though. More will be along before too long.)
(And, for those interested, I have a group.)