• Published 29th Feb 2012
  • 10,052 Views, 739 Comments

Rising Sun - Jet Howitzer



OC(2nd person) is introduced to Equestria, and finds new friends, and enemies

  • ...
29
 739
 10,052

Chapter 18: The Storm

(Woo, longest chapter to date. Two hours of writing, and just a bit of editing. I present to you, The Storm. Enjoy.)

A quick trip to the bathroom, and you’re looking as good as always. Which, sadly, isn’t saying much. But, hey, it’s enough to earn you the hearts of six lovely mares.

You head outside, and see that it’s just past dawn, so you have an hour or two before weather duties. You take to the skies, and lazily fly about. You watch the town beneath you slowly come to life, as the markets slowly fill with merchants, ready to peddle their wares. You even see some ponies heading off to school. You spot Apple Bloom heading to school, so you glide down and land next to her.

“Oh hey Storm. What are you doing up so early?” She looks at you with wide eyes.

“Not much. Woke up and didn’t feel like trying to get back to sleep, so I decided I’d just go for a brief flight.” She gives a quick nod, and she gives a less than subtle glance at your flank. You chuckle, and reply to the unasked question. “No, I still don’t have my cutie mark. And once I get mine I’ll still try to help you, and the other crusaders.” She seems relieved by your answer, and you continue walking in silence for a few minutes.

As you near the end of the short road that leads to the farm you see Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. Why they’d be here is a mystery to you. It’s not really on their way to school, so they must meet up to go to school together.

“Hey Storm,” Sweetie Belle greets you. “Are you here to walk us to school?”

“No, I’m just waiting for Rainbow Dash to wake up so we can take care of the weather. But I suppose I can walk with you three to get you to school.” The walk to school doesn’t take too long, and the girls are talking about their plans the whole way there. You hear some potentially good ideas, including one about mountain climbing, but you doubt that any of them will come through for them. You wish them a good day at school, and with that you take to the skies once more.

You circle the town once, and as you come to Rainbow’s house you see her heading out the door, rubbing her eyes. As she spots you, you give a quick wave, and she quickly takes flight and joins you amongst the clouds.

“So, what’s the weather for today? Anything interesting, or just more scattered clouds?”

“Actually, today is clear skies till about noon, followed by some rain, and ending the evening with a big thunderstorm. It’s not as bad as it sounds, though. Shouldn’t take more than a couple of hours.”

You give a quick nod, and set to work. Clearing the skies is easy work, but setting up for the rain and thunderstorm is a bit harder than you anticipated. After you finish with the rain clouds you stare in amazement at them. Who would’ve guessed that clouds were programmable?

Thunder and lightning were also difficult to prepare, since you had to build up a charge in the clouds, so that they could release the lightning. It’s tough work, but Rainbow Dash was right about how long it would take. As you finish up the last of the clouds you both stand back and admire your handy work. It’s around eleven, so the skies are beginning to cloud up, in preparation for the coming rain storm.

“Well, Dash, with this done, I’m heading over to Sweet Apple Acres. I’ve got plans for our friendly farm pony, and I’d rather get to them soon.” You give Rainbow a quick peck on the cheek, and then dive from the clouds and race off towards the farm. Only when you’re almost to the farm do you think about what you did. You pass it off as being related to the fact that she likes you back, but it feels like it was more than that.

As you arrive at the farm you see Applejack pulling a cart full of apples into the barn, and so you swoop down, land, and start pushing the cart. It only takes a moment to get the cart in the rest of the way, and Applejack quickly turns to see who was there. She smiles when she sees that it was you, and you return the smile.

“Ah was wonderin’ why the cart got easier to pull. Glad to see you’re the reason.” You give a small bow, and a charming smile.

“Always glad to help.” You start unloading the baskets of apples, following Applejack’s lead. A few minutes later and Big Mac enters with a cart of his own. His has almost twice as many apples, and you’re amazed at the ease with which he pulls the load. It takes quite a while to sort all the apples, but it was filled with some laughs and shared stories amongst the three of you as you worked.

Apparently Big Mac can be a bit more talkative than you thought, but even when he’s being a “chatterbox”, as Applejack phrased it, he’s still quite reserved. With the last basket of apples taken care of the three of you head back to the farm for some food, after the day of work. You look up and see that the rain will be starting any minute now.

Big Mac heads to the kitchen to get some food, so you and Applejack head to the dining room, and eagerly await Big Mac’s entry. When he comes in you see a plethora of apple related foods, and the three of you dig in.

As you all finish up you look outside and see that the rain has started in earnest. You feel sorry for anypony caught up in this storm, since it looks pretty bad out there. As you clear the dishes from the table you wonder what you’ll do with Applejack today, considering that you can’t really go out and do anything.

She seems to answer your question, though, since you find yourself being pulled along by Applejack.

“Make sure you keep the door open.” Big Mac is quick to interject when he sees that you have left. Applejack gives you a quick smile, and her face turns a shade of crimson. Soon you find yourself sitting in her room, while she’s lying on her bed, facing you.

Strangely enough, you find that you have no idea what to say to her. She doesn’t seem to mind, though, and she just watches you. A few minutes pass in silence, but then Applejack breaks the silence.

“Ah’ve been wonderin’ somthin’. Where did you learn to play piano like that? That was mighty fine playin’, and I was just wonderin’.” You give a quick smile, and think hard about how exactly you know.

“Well, to be honest, I don’t really know. The first time I can remember playing was when I found the piano in Twilight’s basement. Each song that I played came to me on the spot. Not reliable, I know, but it does make it interesting.”

“Well, ya must’ve learned at some point. Was it a family member, or did you have a teacher?”

“I think I taught myself.” You ponder for a moment, searching for any scraps hidden in your mind. A few splotches of memory come through, but not enough for a definitive answer. “I am fairly certain that at least some songs I taught myself, but the rest I learned from someone.” She raises an eyebrow as you finish. “Sorry, somepony. The word just came out.”

She smiles, and the room descends into silence once more. You notice her slowly edging back on the bed, clearly making room for you. You decide you’re going to make her ask, though. Don’t want to make it too easy for her. You look around her room some, and see dozens of blue ribbons on the walls, as well as some trophies. You see a familiar picture of Applejack and her friends. As you continue to look around you suddenly hear a sigh. You look back to Applejack, and see that she’s changed position as well as moved back. She’s up at the head of the bed in a position that demands to be cuddled with.

“Is there something you need AJ? I’m not quite sure what you’re asking me for.” You give her a smile that shows that you know exactly what she wants. She blushes even harder than earlier, and you just continue smiling.

“Your really gonna make me say it?” Her smile is almost as big as yours, but her blush says more than her words.

“Please, AJ. What is it that you want me to do?”

“How about you get your flank over here before I have to come over there.” As tempting as that sounds you get up and walk over to the bed, and stand next to it. Applejack’s eyes followed you the whole time, and you are now just a couple feet away from her. You climb onto the bed, and she immediately wraps a hoof around you. You give a smile, and she just snuggles into your chest.

As you get comfortable you start to fade. Sleep overtakes you, but soon releases you, mere hours later. You wake up in the same position as you fell asleep in, and you gently prod Applejack. She sits up, and before doing anything else gives you a kiss.

You break the kiss after a moment, and just look at her for a moment. Without warning your stomach gives a loud rumble. You give a weak chuckle, and you see Applejack is barely holding back her giggles.

“Maybe we could get something to eat?” She finally starts laughing, and you join in. She may not be Pinkie Pie, but her laugh is magical in its own way. Dinner consists of more apple-themed foods, and you notice that Apple Bloom isn’t present.

“Has anypony seen Apple Bloom? I saw her this morning, but not since then.”

“She and her friends went crusadin’ after school.” Big Mac interjects. “Reckon their up to something.”

“Well,” you start, “I hope they get home before the thunder starts.” As you finish up Big Mac, Granny Smith, and Applejack are all staring at you. “Is it something I said?”

Applejack is the first to respond. “Apple Bloom is afraid of Thunderstorms, although she’d never admit it. Hopefully they aren’t doing anything too outrageous.” After her brief explanation they continue eating.

You chuckle at that, trying to imagine what they are up to. As you are moving a fork to your mouth, there is a sharp crack of thunder. You pause for a moment, and suddenly you drop your fork. “I know where they are. And I don’t think you’ll like it.”

All three of them look at you, concern on their faces. “I am pretty sure that they went mountain climbing. Trying to get their cutie marks.” Their eyes go wide at this revelation, and you realize just what it means too. You slowly push your chair back from the table, already knowing that what you’re about to do will set a new record for stupidity. “I’ll get them back as soon as I can.”

With that said you bolt from the room, and outside. The winds are fierce, and the rain is falling hard enough to have you soaked in seconds. With a hearty leap you pump your wings to start gaining speed against the wind. A convenient flash of lightning shows you the mountain that is closest to Ponyville. The thunder follows mere moments later, and is deafening.

You pump your wings as fast as you can, and soon you’re making good progress despite the best efforts of the storm. You feel the mental blocks in your mind once more, letting you know just how fast you are really going. You plow through them with ease, and soon you’re close enough to the mountain to make out some details. You fly up the mountain in a zigzag pattern, looking for the Crusaders.

You make out a flat area, and a small cave with a light coming from it. You battle the winds, and manage to land on the ledge. Inside the cave you see the crusaders curled up, shivering in both fright and from the cold of the storm. When they see it’s you, they run up and hug you.

“Come on, girls. I know this is scary, but I need to get you back home. It’s going to be raining for hours, and you need to get warmed up soon.” They don’t seem to understand, so you take a deep breath to calm yourself down.

“Girls, listen to me.” You speak firmly, and slowly, and they seem to respond. “Sweetie Belle, do you know any magic that could make a heat source of any kind?” She shakes her head. The urge to swear is great, but you beat it back. “Okay, that’s fine.” It’s not really fine, they all are showing signs of hypothermia, but you’ll need to worry about that once you’ve gotten them down from the mountain. “Offensive question time! How much does each of you weigh?”

They each respond, and you realize with a start that they are much lighter than you thought. You won’t be able to fly with them, but you’ll be able to glide down. “Alright, Crusaders. This won’t be easy, or comfortable, but I’m going to fly us down to the ground. Then we’ll either make a camp and a fire, or we’ll head to town.” You hope for the latter, but expect the former. You turn around, and look back into the storm. It’s just as fierce as before, if not more so. You see something in the storm, though.

A sinuous creature is flying in the storm, and it seems to be only flying in your area. You walk out of the small cave, into the storm, and you see what looks to be a wingless dragon gliding on the wind currents. As soon as it sees you, though, it makes an ear piercing cry. It sounds like a strong gust of wind, but more shrill and piercing. You wince at the noise, but stand your ground. It circles around, and it dives towards you.

At the last moment you sidestep the dive, and it effortlessly swoops past, and resumes it’s circling. This thing is fast, and a great flier. This will certainly be tricky. And if it weren’t for the dire situation perhaps enjoyable.

You go back into the cave, and you pick the fillies up, one by one, and place them on your back. “Girls, you’ll need to hold on as tight as you can. Don’t worry about hurting me; just make sure you don’t fall off. And no matter what, don’t let go till I tell you to. Do you understand?”

They all nod, and you turn to face the opening, and you brace yourself for a moment.

You mutter to yourself under your breath. “Celestia damn it all. This is easily the stupidest thing I’ve ever done.”

You leap out of the cave, and then another leap sends you over the edge, and out into the air.

The wind whips you back and forth, but you keep your course stable, more or less, using your wings. The monster makes another pass at you, but you close your wings quickly, dropping below its angle of attack. The flight down is surprisingly quick, and soon you’re on the ground.

“Girls, get off now. This thing isn’t going to just let us leave, so I’m going to take care of it.” After the girls climb off you look at them all. “Sweetie Belle, I need you to do whatever you can to learn how to make fire. It’s more important than anything else. Scootaloo find some wood we can use. The drier the better.” You give Apple Bloom a quick hug. She’s shivering hard. “I just need you to stay strong Apple Bloom.”

You release her, and take off once more. The monster circles you, and you do your best to maintain your position. The beast makes a few attack attempts, but you dodge them with ease. On it’s next attack, though, it comes in differently than the last few times. As it draws near it lets out a piercing cry, and it jostles your concentration long enough for it to grab you in its clawed hand.

It gains altitude fast, and you feel your ear pop several times due to the pressure change. Soon, though, it levels out, and you can feel it gliding through the air with such grace and ease, you can’t help but be a bit jealous. You look up at the sky, and with a sickening pulse the cloud above you pulses yellow. Before you can utter the curse that was forming on your lips the bolt of lightning arcs down into the monster holding you, and subsequently, through you.

A pain like no other rips through you, and you suddenly feel yourself falling. You struggle to open your wings, but you find they are unresponsive. You grind your teeth together, and push as hard as you can against the cramped muscles. With a jolt of pain they both snap open, and you grit your teeth against the pain.

You manage to land, sloppily, but in one piece. “Any landing you walk away from is a good landing,” you cough out, not finding it funny at all.

You practically crawl to where you left the girls, and you find them huddled around a small fire. “Oh, thank Celestia for small favors.” They all look over to you as you walk over to them. You sit between Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom, and then you raise your wings, despite the complaining muscle.

“I’ll keep you dry, but you will need to keep me warm.” You feel the chill seeping into your bones, but you can’t let them down now. They all huddle against you, and you feel only a moderate warmth come from them.

You feel your grasp on reality slide in and out, but you remain conscious till the storm finally stops.

With the cloud cover thinning, you see that it is almost dawn. You’ve been sitting here, covering the girls for at least eight hours, probably more. You look at them, and see that they are all still holding you, but they are all asleep. You lower a hoof to each of them, and find that they are a bit warm, likely from a fever. Apple Bloom still feels cold, though, so you gently nudge her. She wakes up, and she squeezes you tighter, tears in her eyes.

You give her a weak smile, and she just holds you tighter. You hear a voice calling out, but you can’t make out what its saying. You look to the east, and see the beginnings of the day. The shouting voice becomes more clear, but you still can’t make it out. It repeats a moment later, in a different voice. Multiple ponies, is your conclusion, but you don’t rule that it may be your delusional mind playing tricks on you.

You look east once more, towards Ponyville and the new day. Then, several mares come into sight, framed against the rising sun. (Fuck yeah. Finally using the title.)

Rainbow Dash, Twilight, Rarity, Applejack, Pinkie, and Fluttershy are all running in your direction. As they get closer they stop shouting, and start running faster.

You finally relax your wings, and they drop to your sides. You look at them as they get close, and you feel your body relax all over. You start a slow fall backwards, as the adrenaline pumping through your body finally dropped to a rate that could be considered normal. A comforting blackness envelops you, and the last thing you see are Rainbow’s tear filled eyes. That shade of pink…

(Any mistakes in spelling, or grammar, let me know. It's 2AM for me at the time of posting(Had some inspiration, and I didn't want to let it go to waste, don't judge me!). Editing skills are not at their best, so if you find any mistakes let me know. Thanks.)