• Published 29th Feb 2012
  • 10,030 Views, 739 Comments

Rising Sun - Jet Howitzer



OC(2nd person) is introduced to Equestria, and finds new friends, and enemies

  • ...
29
 739
 10,030

The Real Chapter 22: Acceptance, and Greed

(Ahh. That was fun. We sure had some good laughs, didn't we. Now then, for the real chapter!)

You get back to your house, and head right to bed. So much has happened in so little time, and you just need to rest, and let it all sink in. You climb under the covers, and sleep quickly swoops in and claims you.

You wake with the sunrise, and you slowly climb out of bed. Your injuries pain you, but it is only a dull throb now. You remember your old body, and you are amazed at the healing abilities of this pony body. You groggily head to the bathroom, and you grimace at the pony looking back at you. The last time you looked in the mirror you were happy with the face looking back at you. But now? Now you didn’t know what to think.

With a groan you finish in the bathroom, and head to the living room. After just a few minutes relaxing in the living room you get up, and head outside. Doing nothing just doesn’t sit right with you, so you’ll go and find something to do. Hopefully something to take your mind off of what happened yesterday.

Most of the town is quiet, as it is still early in the morning, but you don’t mind at all. It gives you a chance to wander aimlessly without worrying about running into anypony.

(Inner monologue will be italicized, now, and from now on.)

So now I’ve got my cutie mark, even though I have no idea what it means. And I also need to find Grandma, and see if she can shed any light on what’s going on. You enter the market place, but you just pass through. Perhaps the Princess knows where I can find her. Or maybe she knows who she is. But what will I do when I talk to her? What am I even going to say? How will I be able to talk to her after what I’ve done?

Your inner monologue is abruptly cut off by a voice shouting out your name. You stop walking, and glance around, looking for the source of the shouting. After a moment you see Applejack approaching, so you figure it was her, and so you start walking over to her.

“Hey there Storm. What are you up to so early? Shouldn’t you be getting some rest, considering the shape you’re in?”

“Yeah, I probably should be resting. But with all that happened, I can’t just sit around.” You trail off weakly, unsure of what else to say. You look at Applejack and see a small smile on her face. “Do you see me differently, know that you know what I did?”

Her brow furrows for a moment, and then she gives you a peck on the cheek. “Yeah, sugarcube. I do see you different. But it isn’t a bad thing. You may have done things you regret in your old life, but now you’re here. You don’t need to rely on who you were to make your life better.” You know she’s right, but it doesn’t make things easier.

“I know that my old life shouldn’t matter anymore, but I can’t help but think about all these things that I’ve done.” You look Applejack in the eyes, and you feel a single tear run down your cheek. “Just like I’m doing now, I looked a man in the eye before I killed him. I apologized before I did it, but I still pulled the trigger.”

She just walks beside you for a while, until eventually you are on the edge of town. You stop walking as you look towards the mountain where you saved Apple Bloom, and the other Crusaders.

They needed help, and I gave it to them. Would a merciless killer do the same? Could a merciless killer do what I did? “AJ, I think that I am a good pony. I’m a terrible human, but I’m a good pony. I can’t change who I was, but I can still influence who I am.” You look to the summit of the mountain, and you feel mentally refreshed. Something about seeing your greatest act of selflessness in that mountain refreshed your view of things.

I saved the Crusaders at the mountain, without a thought for my own safety. I did it without being asked, and I never asked for anything in return. To hell with my old life! I’m a new pony, and I won’t let my past rule my life!

You look back to Applejack, away from the mountain, and she turns to look at you. You lean in and give her a passionate, if only brief, kiss. She smiles, and gets a huge blush on her cheeks.

“What was that for?”

You give her a smile, and an answer from the heart. “For being there. For saying what I needed to hear, rather than what I wanted to hear.” You lean into her, reversing the role for once. “I’m glad that I ended up here. I’m also happy that I met you, and the others as well.”

You just enjoy each others company for a time, until finally you stand up, ready to continue your new life. Applejack also rises next to you, and you turn and head back into town. Despite your injuries your newfound mindset really helps you to deal with the occasional sharp pain.

As you stand up you spot Ditzy Doo making her way towards you, flying in a way that defies all logic. Like the Pinkie Pie of flight. Physics just doesn’t seem to apply to her.

She lands in front of you, and rummages around in her bags for a moment, before she pulls out a package, and a letter. “These are for you, Storm. Special delivery, courtesy of the Princess.” You take them from her, and she has a big smile on her face.

“Thanks, Ditzy. I appreciate it.” You look carefully at the package, and letter. Although Ditzy said they were from the Princess, you somehow aren’t sure they are from her. You slowly open the letter, and begin reading it.

Dear Storm Runner,

I heard that you got your cutie mark from the Princess, so I decided that I would send you the money that I’ve been saving for you. Consider them birthday presents for the birthdays I missed. I know that it can’t make up for the lack of my presence in your life, but I hope that it helps you. In addition to this letter you will find a key. Keep it safe, since it is a very special key.

I’ll be coming by Ponyville soon, so you don’t need to come find me. I’m not quite sure just how long it will be till I get there, so don’t wait for me.

Love,

Grandma a.k.a. D.D.

Who's D.D.? Bah, a mystery for a later date.

True to the words of the letter you find a small key inside the envelope. It is an unassuming looking key, but you figure that it must be at least somewhat important, given what the letter said. You then look at the package. It’s surprisingly heavy, given its size.

You slowly unwrap it, and see that it is a small lockbox. You assume that it is full of bits, but somehow you doubt that it would be this heavy, given its size, and the maximum number of bits you could fit inside.

There is no keyhole, but as you try to open it you clearly hear a locking mechanism open. To your shock it is full to the brim with bits. You can’t even try to count them all, and you just let your mouth hang open. Applejack looks at it as well, and her reaction is quite similar to yours.

“Just how many bits do you think that is?” You give a quick shrug, but then you notice a small slip of parchment attached to the lid. On it, in bold lettering reads; “4000”

“I think it’s four thousand bits.” You point to the parchment on the lid, and Applejack gives a nod. You grab a few bits, and you notice the numbers on the parchment change as you remove the bits. You put them back, a puzzled look on your face, and the number goes back to four thousand. “Well, that’s convenient. It tells me how many bits I have in there.”

“Must’ve been pretty valuable too. From what I remember from Twilight making magic permanent like that takes hours of practice, and tons of magic too.” You look at the box with newfound appreciation. Grandma must be loaded if she sent me this. Although I’m not really hurting for money, so I guess I’ll keep this as an emergency fund.

“Well, rather than stand here and gawk at this sizable sum of money, let’s head over to the farm, and get some breakfast. Or lunch, I really don’t know what time it is.” You give a quick laugh at that, and Applejack joins in.

“We were actually sitting there for a couple of hours. I wanted to give you the time you needed to collect yourself.” You nuzzle her neck, and then you both head off for Sweet Apple Acres. It’s only a short walk, but it gives you some time to reflect on your new views on life. However, your thoughts are cut off by some shouting coming from the farm. You look at Applejack with a concerned look on your face, and then you and Applejack both break into a gallop.

A few moments later and you see the source of the commotion. There’s a blue pegasus speaking with Granny Smith, and you can see they are both quite animated. You can’t make out everything, but you do catch something about a loan that has come due. When you finally get close enough to hear everything you are shocked by what you hear. Granny Smith is the first to get a full sentence in after your approach.

“I’m telling you, your father said that the loan was paid off! We set up a deal with him.”

“And I’m telling YOU that I have no record of such an agreement. You borrowed close to ten thousand bits from my father, and you’re trying to tell me that he just forgave half of it? That’s ludicrous.” The blue pegasus has a stuck up attitude, and he simply oozes arrogance.

“Granny,” Applejack interjects, “what’s going on? Who is this, and why are you both shouting?” Granny Smith shakes her head sadly before answering.

“Well back when we first started the farm things went well, as I’ve told you, but not as well as it could’ve gone. So, we had to take a loan, to keep the farm in business. We got a ten thousand bit loan from Blue Bits, Banknote’s father.” She gestures at the blue pegasus as she says Banknote, so you can only assume that’s his name. “After we made the arrangements for the loan we made all of our payments on time. But then, just a few years ago, we, or more accurately, your grandfather, saved Blue Bits from an accident. In thanks for the selflessness he forgave us half the loan.”

“But I have no record of this transaction, so I can’t honor it. Anyway, verbal contracts are non-binding. So, unless you can pay the five thousand bits that are now overdue I’m going to have to seize assets.” He has a smug smile on his face, and it makes you want to buck him in the face, but you fight down the urge to do so. “And since I’m such a nice pony, I’ll forgive any accumulated interest.”

You can’t take this pony’s attitude, so you speak up. “Let me get this straight. You come here, demanding five thousand bits from the family that saved your father, after he forgave the loan, because you have no proof of the exchange? I’m certain that he must’ve told you about this! What kind of father doesn’t tell his son that somepony saved his life?”

He hesitates a moment, but then he recovers. “He did tell me about the incident, but he didn’t say anything about forgiving the loan.” You can hear Applejack grinding her teeth. She must be able to tell he’s lying, but none of you can provide proof of the matter.

You turn to look at Granny Smith. “Granny Smith, go and get all the bits you have on the farm. We can’t win this argument, and he does have a legal right to collect, since there is no proof of the exchange. Hopefully you have enough stashed away to make up the missing bits.” You turn to look at Banknote, and the smirk on his face drives you mad.

Granny Smith makes her way to the house, helped by Applejack, leaving you and Banknote alone outside. You glare at him, and he returns your look with poorly concealed contempt.

“What are you looking at, yokel? Never seen a high class pony before? I suppose you wouldn’t have, given where you live.”

“Don’t push me, buddy. I’ve done more, and seen more, than you could ever imagine.”

“Oh? I suppose that the inside of a little padded cell is something I haven’t seen before.” He laughs at his own poorly constructed joke, but you shrug it off. This guy’s arrogance is almost painfully oppressive, but you don’t let it get to you. You can’t let it get to you, or you may do something that you’ll regret.

You both wait another few minutes, and then you see Applejack and Granny Smith come out of the house, several bags of bits between them. They approach slowly, and you know that there is no way they have more than a thousand bits between them.

“This is all we’ve got on hand. Just a hair over one thousand bits.” Granny looks at Banknote, and a frown is clearly visible on her face. “I know it’s not enough, but could this act as the first payment?”

Banknote shakes his head, and a grin appears on his face. “No, I need all of the money now, since it is already overdue as it is. Unless you can get another four thousand bits, I’m afraid that I’ll have to start seizing assets.”

Well shit. Emergency fund to the rescue! “I’ve got the bits here.” You grab your box o’bits off your back, and quickly add your bits to the bits of the apple family. Both Granny Smith and Applejack look at you with surprise on their faces.

“Storm, we can’t let you do this!” Applejack is quick to jump in. “You just got that from your grandmother, we can’t let you spend it all on us!”

“Sure you can. You’re confusing ‘can’t’, with ‘don’t want.’ You don’t want me to do this. But you, at the same time, can’t stop me.” You turn to Banknote, and you note with disgust the look of greed written on his face. “There’s your money. Now get out of here, and don’t come back. We don’t want, or need scum like you around here.”

He doesn’t even hesitate, and quickly scoops up the money, and then he takes flight. You watch him go, and you resist the urge to flip him the finger. It’s only after a moment that you remember you have no fingers. Ah well, I’d probably have to explain it anyway.

You return your gaze to the Apple family, and you see tears in both of their eyes. Applejack lunges forward, and gives you a big hug. “Thank you, Storm. That’s the nicest thing anypony has ever done for us.”

You wait for her to break the hug, and then you look to Granny Smith. “I have one request to make, for the money I paid.” Her eyes narrow as you say this, and even Applejack takes a step backwards. “I’d appreciate it if you kept doing what you’re doing, and don’t change a thing. Sweet Apple Acres is perfect the way it is, and I’d hate to see it change.” A smile breaks out on both of their faces, and you all start laughing.

Just about an hour later and you were walking out of the farm house after a hefty lunch. Applejack had to stay to help out on the farm, so you had the rest of the day to do whatever you liked. First, though, you fly home and drop off your, now empty, lockbox.

Hopefully the rest of the day isn’t quite as eventful as the first half. I’d hate to end up in the hospital, again. Maybe a simple trip to Sugarcube Corner? Yeah, that sounds like a plan. You take the small key from the envelope, and you find a small cord. You quickly loop the cord through the keyhole, and you turn it into a necklace, of sorts. You keep it just tight enough to not sway too much, but loose enough to not choke you. You pull some bits from your small stash, and head out for Sugarcube Corner.

(You've jinxed yourself with that last thought. I hope you realize what you've done...)
(Before I forget. Credit goes to skyscraper123 for the idea for Banknote. And credit for Banknote goes here.)