• Published 29th Feb 2012
  • 10,056 Views, 739 Comments

Rising Sun - Jet Howitzer



OC(2nd person) is introduced to Equestria, and finds new friends, and enemies

  • ...
29
 739
 10,056

Chapter 8

With a sudden thump you find yourself deposited on the floor of Rainbow’s guest room. You rub your head, as it is pounding with a headache. You struggle to remember the dream you were having, but all you can remember is a forest. A forest, and a sense of despair. You shake your head, and notice that the sun is starting its slow trip across the sky, and so you decide to start your day now.

You take a quick trip to the bathroom to freshen up, before you head downstairs. You make your way into the kitchen, and decide to whip up some food for breakfast. Half an hour later you have a passable imitation of some omelet’s, and even a small salad. Rainbow comes down with a groggy look on her face, which is quickly replaced with surprise.

“You made breakfast?”

“Wow, Rainbow, nothing gets past you. And I thought I got up early enough to fool you.” She gives you a quick smirk, before starting her breakfast. She gobbles it up surprisingly quickly.

“This is so good! How did you manage to make eggs taste so good?”

“I dunno. I just kinda went with my gut on this one. And from the looks of it, your gut agrees with mine.”

She gives a quick laugh at that, before she gets up from the table. “I’m going to go get ready, and then we can start weather detail. Today should be easy though. A few scattered clouds is the weather for today.” With that she trots out of the room, and to the bathroom.

You turn to look at the mess you made making breakfast, and you get to it. By the time you finish Rainbow comes down the stairs looking like her usual self. You toss the dish rag on the counter, and follow her out the door.

Just a couple hours later, and you are done. You quickly explain to Rainbow that you want to furnish your home, and so you are going to swing by Rarity’s place for some help.

“If you’re going to Rarity’s place then you should know that you won’t be coming out without a few different suits, and outfits. Hope you like sewing needles!” With that she flies off towards Twilight's house.

You glide over to Rarity’s and gracefully land in front of the shop. You are greeted by several giggling blurs, rather than Rarity. They leap onto your back with shouts, as you try to keep track of them.

“Well, if it isn’t the Crusaders. How goes the search?” You lower your head down to their eye level, and they stop their racing around and look at you.

“Not too good,” says Apple Bloom. “We still haven’t found our special talents. What about you?”

“Pfft! Of course he hasn’t found his talent! Just look at his flank! It’s just as bare as ours!” This comes from the orange pegasus.

“Ah was just bein’ polite!”

You step in before they can start arguing. “Girls, please. There’s no need to fight over something like this. How about you try doing something that involves art? Maybe one of you is an artist at heart?”

Sweetie Belle steps forward, and nods her head. “Yeah, girls, maybe we’re artists!”

With that they jump up, and with voices louder than should be possible, shout out, “CUTIE MARK CRUSADER ARTISTS!”

You hesitate for a moment, unsure of what you’ve just released on the unsuspecting town of Ponyville. As you turn around you come face to face with Rarity.

“Oh, um, hi Rarity. I was just coming by to see you…”

“And now I see that you’re encouraging those three in their endeavors. Well, better they run around outside than stay here and keep me from my work.” She leads you inside, before putting you up on a small pedestal. A tape measure floats over, and begins taking various measurements.

“I’m actually not here for clothes. I was hoping to get your help with furnishing my home.” You see that Rarity is busy working with some cloth sections, so you aren’t too sure if she heard you. You repeat yourself, this time a bit louder.

As you finish she turns to look at you again. “Surely I can make you one suit? Just as a gift, from me to you.” Her eyes take on a look that you just can’t say no to, so you acquiesce. She continues her measurements, and before too long, just a few hours, you are wearing a brand new suit.

“Now that we’ve got that out of the way, I was wondering if you could help me with my original request.” She continues sorting the fabrics, before turning to look at you again.

“Oh, of course! I’d love to help you pick out some furniture for your new home. I’ll just need to see the interior first, and then we can go shopping.” She trots over to the door, before grabbing some measuring tapes, and her saddle bags. While she’s grabbing her stuff you hold open the door for her to exit.

A couple minutes later and you’re standing inside the home that Princess Celestia bought you. It’s not too big and not too small either. The second floor is an open bedroom, which has a view into the living room. It’s quite cozy, and even has a fireplace. Rarity quickly starts taking measurements, and muttering to herself about carpeting, and the colors.

You go upstairs, to inspect the bedroom area. It has quite a few large windows, but the feature that gets your attention more than any other is the small ladder against one wall. You go over, and climb up. When you get to the top you find yourself in a small dome. It has a breathtaking 360 degree view, and leaves you speechless. A couple minutes later Rarity climbs up after you.

“Did you hear a word I was saying, I-” She is just as speechless as you at the view. You just enjoy it for a moment, before you hear a sigh. Rarity is looking at you with a look in her eyes that, just for a moment, makes you forget your earlier decision to remain uninvolved.

“Rarity, please. Don’t put me in that situation. I want to get to know you before we get to that point.” You climb down the ladder, but continue speaking to her. “If it’s meant to be, then it will be, but don’t force it.”

Rarity climbs down a moment later, and smiles at you. “I understand. I won’t put you in that situation again. It was wrong of me.”

“Don’t worry about it Rarity. Now, what have ideas do you have as far as furniture is concerned?” A loaded question, that’s for sure. A few hours later and you have spent almost all of the money sent to you by the Princess. However your home has been made into quite the place to stay.

It has an incredibly comfortable feel to it, and it feels friendly. You thank Rarity for her assistance, and ask her if she’d like to come by later, with the others, for a small party, to celebrate your new home. As soon as you mention party, though, Pinkie shows up.

“You wanna have a party to celebrate you moving into your new house! Oh boy, this’ll be great! I’ll invite everypony, and we’ll have games, and food, and-”

You interrupt before she can go too far. “Actually, Pinkie, I was just hoping for you, Rarity, and the others to come by, rather than the whole town. It’ll be more personal.”

“I guess that’ll work.” She looks a bit less bubbly than normal, before she suddenly perks up again. “Hey, since it’ll be just us we can be a bit more creative with the games we play!” You don’t like the sound of that, but before you can object she bolts out the door, and is gone.

“Do you know what she means,” you ask Rarity, only to find her blushing, just a bit. You don’t think you’ll like the answer.

“Oh, you’ll see. Last time we did this I ended up having to kiss Rainbow’s pet turtle, if that gives you a hint.” She heads over to the door, before she turns back to look at you. “Don’t worry about it too much, I’m sure this time it won’t be nearly as bad.”

She walks out the door, and you’re left on your own in your new house. The situation sinks in, and you realize that this is the first time you’ve been really alone since you got here. You find yourself at peace, and calmness descends over you. You go upstairs to your new desk, and grab a quill, and a piece of paper. You start scribbling down names, and, unfortunately, keep crossing them out as well.

You try and think up some theme to work off of, and eventually decide on weather terms. After an hour you have a fairly sizable pile of tossed aside, and crumpled up, pieces of paper. You are down to your last one, and only have enough room for one more name. You put your head in your hooves, and think long and hard about this one.

You put the surname down first. Runner. In a moment of clarity you look down at your coat, and see that the grey seems to have a shimmer to it. In a moment of clarity it comes to you.

Storm Runner.