• Published 29th Feb 2012
  • 10,055 Views, 739 Comments

Rising Sun - Jet Howitzer



OC(2nd person) is introduced to Equestria, and finds new friends, and enemies

  • ...
29
 739
 10,055

Chapter 27: A Trip to the Farm

(Another chapter? Yup. Enjoy.)

Morning comes, and you slowly wake. A yawn escapes your lips, and you take a moment to simply enjoy the comfort of your bed. You feel a warmth pressing against your chest, and you realize that it is Pinkie. She’s curled up against your chest, and her head is just beneath your chin. One of her hooves is wrapped around you, and you are reluctant to move, for fear of waking her. With the utmost care you extricate yourself from her grasp, and you climb out of bed.

You look at her, curled up on your bed, and you feel better about yourself. The small smile on her lips is so adorable that you feel it is a crime for her to ever be sad. You know that it is ridiculous to propose that she be happy all the time, but you feel sad knowing that she was upset. You head downstairs to the kitchen, and you start preparing some breakfast for you and Pinkie.

In just a few minutes you have a couple of omelets prepared, and some juice to go with it. You balance the food on your back, and you head upstairs to enjoy some breakfast in bed. As you mount the stairs you see that Pinkie is sitting up in the bed. Her hair isn’t quite as poofy as normal, but it is also not straight down her back, which is a good sign. You place the food on the bed, and Pinkie’s smile widens just a bit.

“Thank you.”

“Please, Pinkie. It’s nothing. Just enjoy, and we can talk after breakfast.” She hesitantly, at first, starts her omelet, but soon enough she is wolfing it down. She quickly finishes her omelet, and she then looks up from her now empty plate.

“Storm, that was delicious. How did you make it so good?” You offer a small shrug in response.

“I don’t really know. I just tossed a few eggs in a pan, and added some peppers, and mushrooms. Nothing too special.” She gives you a small hug, and then she climbs out of bed.

“I’m going to freshen up some, and then we can start the day.” You nod, and then Pinkie heads to the bathroom to get ready for the day. You already know what you’re going to be doing today, you just hope that Pinkie will be ready for it. You had no idea just how deep Pinkie’s problem went, but the only way to deal with it is to just tackle the problem.

Skirting around it would only make it worse, and denying it would only lead to a bigger outburst later on. You aren’t sure, however, just how you are going to take care of the issue, since it seems to be a major part of her life. It’s going to require quite a bit of emotional stress, and there are definitely going to be tears shed before the end of the day.

Your mind wanders, and you fail to notice the pony coming up behind you. A pair of hooves wrap themselves around you, and you lean back onto the pony behind you. A faint smell of cotton candy greets you, and you look up into Pinkie’s sparkling blue eyes. The happiness in those eyes is so pure that it pains you to know that you will force her to deal with the issues that have almost defined her.

You can’t put her through the rigors of dealing with that emotional pain right now, so you decide to wait until the evening. Of course, fate has a way of screwing with good plans.

“So, Storm, did you have anything planned for today?”

“Well, not really anything too special. I was just going to spend it with you, that much I…” You trail off as you realize Pinkie used the past tense. “What do you mean ‘did I have planned?’”

“Well…” She starts, but then she just looks off to the side, without finishing. You wait for her to continue, not wanting to interrupt her. “The letter that I got from my parents, it was serious news. My father is really sick, and they want me to come by, in case he…” Pinkie stops, but you know well enough what she was going to say. You are about to say something, when Pinkie places a hoof gently over your mouth. “The letter said that he wanted to apologize for what he did. I’m just scared of what will happen if I go. Suppose that he doesn’t like who I’ve become? Or that he still disapproves of what I want from life?”

Before Pinkie can continue her self-destructive spiral you stop her with a hug. “Pinkie, stop.” She does stop, and you slowly release her, before looking her in the eye. “You can’t let his opinion rule your life. I know just how hard it is to come to terms with what has happened, but you can’t let it rule you.”

Pinkie nods, and then she takes a deep breath. “I know. But you’re right, it is hard. I’ve been with the Cakes for so long, but somehow my father’s approval still matters to me. It matters more than I think it should.” She pulls you back into the hug, and you let her. “Will you come with me when I go?”

“Of course, Pinkie. Name a time, and I’ll be there.”

“Today.”

“I’ll grab my things.”

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

And you did grab your things. You didn’t really have that much to get, but you grabbed your saddlebags, a bag of bits, and lastly you pulled your key around your neck. You were now at the edge of Ponyville, and Pinkie was looking back towards the town.

“Come on, Pinkie. Don’t look past my shoulder, and soon we’ll be at the farm, and then we can come home.” Pinkie trots up next to you, and you begin the trip to the farm.

“Could you tell me about some of the things you did in your old life?” Pinkie looks at you, and were it not for the sadness in her eyes you could almost call her normal. Or, at least, normal for Pinkie Pie.

“Sure. Something happy, to lighten the mood?”

“I’d like that.”

You think for a moment, and then you settle on the event of choice. “It was a day like any other. Seventh grade was just as dull as any other grade, but after a brief chain of events I made my first real friend. She and I were close. Really close…”

Seventh Grade

“Alright, class. You can go for lunch, but do try and get to your next class on time.” Mrs. Trad was always telling her students to be punctual, but she was often later than some students. It was a running joke, and it elicited a few chuckles from the class. You stood up, and gathered your things, ready for some food. You grabbed your bagged lunch from your locker, and you headed to the cafeteria.

When you got there you saw that most of the other classes had already been let out, sot the cafeteria was mostly full. It was a nice day, though, so you went to the small outdoor section. Most of the students stayed inside, so there were plenty of tables to choose from. You spotted one table that had only one person sitting at it, so you decided to take a chance. It was really out of character for you, but something possessed you that day.

You sat across from her, and she looked up at you for only a moment before she returned to her food. You started to eat your own lunch, suddenly unsure of yourself.

“My name’s Rachel.” She spoke clearly, and she had a voice that caused you to feel warm all over. Your hormones weren’t acting up enough just yet, so you were thoroughly confused by these new feelings. You looked up from your food, and she was staring at you. She looked nice, but the thing about her that caught your attention, more than anything, were her eyes. They were a shockingly pink color, and they were beautiful.

“Your eyes…” You didn’t know what to say, so you just started a sentence. She blushed deeply at this, and she immediately dropped her gaze. You realize what you said, and you feel bad about it. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to stare. I just thought that they looked really cool, is all.”

She looks back up, and there’s a small smile on her lips. “Really? You think they’re cool?”

“Well, yeah. No one has pink eyes like yours. They’re unique, and it makes you stand out. If I had eyes like that I wouldn’t hide them.” Her smile grows as you speak, and it makes you happy to see her smiling.

“Thanks.”

“Oh, yeah. My name’s Kurt. I’ve never seen you here before, so you must be new, right?”

“Yeah, I only moved here over the summer. My parents came here because the hospital is good in town.” That was odd. Most people moved here for the school, but she moved here for the hospital?

“Why did you come here for the hospital?”

“Oh, well I have a disease in my heart, so I need to go to the hospital every now and then to have my heart examined.”

“Well, as long as it doesn’t get in the way of us hanging out, I’m okay with it.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, we’re friends now, and friends hang out with each other.”

Present

“And that was it. That was how Rachel and I became friends. All it took was talking to her, and we became friends. Looking back I wish that I had done that with more people. But that’s the past, and I can’t change it. All I can do is deal with what is, and hope that I make the right choices in the future.” Pinkie’s smile had grown through your small story, and the sadness in her eyes had receded some.

“And now Rachel is inside of Rainbow?” You paused for a moment, and you just stared at Pinkie.

“You knew?”

“Yeah, she told all of us a while ago. Why, is something wrong?”

“No. Nothing.” You continue walking along, lost in thought. So she could tell her friends about her past, but she couldn’t tell me? She was free to tell anypony she wanted that she used to be a human, but she wouldn’t tell me?

Your thoughts are interrupted by Pinkie’s voice.

“Are you mad at me?”

“What? No. I’m just… Confused is probably the best word for it. I’m upset that Rainbow told all of you about who she used to be, but she didn’t tell me.” You continue walking, and as you mount a small hill the rock farm comes into view. Pinkie tenses up when it comes into sight, and you lay a hoof on her shoulder. “Don’t worry, Pinkie. I’m here for you.”

She relaxes some, when you put your hoof on her shoulder. “Thank you.”

The last bit is the hardest to walk, and soon you’re crossing the border onto the farm. As you look around everything seems to turn gray. Even your coat seems to be less impressive to look at, and it was already gray. Pinkie, on the other hand, looks to be at her worst. Her coat has lost most of its color, reverting to a dull pink, and her mane has fallen completely flat.

Her eyes, though, still hold their color. Whether this was due to the sadness in her heart, or something more, you don’t know. Pinkie approaches the door, and she slowly raises a hoof to the door, but she stops just short of knocking. She looks at you, and you make out the fear just beneath the sadness. You nod slowly, and Pinkie turns back to the door.

With agonizing slowness Pinkie knocks three times on the door. She takes a small step backwards after doing so. A minute passes, and finally the sound of a few locks being opened is heard.

The door opens, slowly, and standing there is a mare that looks almost exactly like Pinkie, except quite a bit older. There is a hardness to her face that Pinkie could never have. Her gaze immediately locks onto Pinkie, and she doesn’t even seem to notice that you are there. Based only on her body language you couldn’t even hope to guess her feelings towards her daughters sudden arrival.

The older mare opens her mouth to speak, and you know that the words she’s about to utter will determine so much in Pinkie’s life.

I promised I’d be here for her. I just hope that I can take her home happy, rather than in pieces.

(And now I reach a point where it could go either way. Will things go well for Pinkie, or are the next chapters going to be depressing? Stay tuned to find out!)
(And if anyone spots any major mistakes don't hesitate to leave hate filled comments relating to my ineptitude.)