• Published 29th Feb 2012
  • 10,054 Views, 739 Comments

Rising Sun - Jet Howitzer



OC(2nd person) is introduced to Equestria, and finds new friends, and enemies

  • ...
29
 739
 10,054

Chapter 6

After a measly two hours you finally exit the mayor’s office. The first hour and a half had been spent explaining who you were, and that you were in fact sent by Celestia. As you exited you find Twilight and Rainbow waiting for you.

“What in the hay took ya so long? We’ve been waiting for more than an hour!” Rainbow, based solely on her tone is quite upset about this turn of events. You share the sentiment, and inform her thusly.

“Well, Rainbow, I was having so much fun filling out the paperwork that I decided to do it for two hours! You should try it sometime.” As you finish she looks down for a moment. “I’m sorry for snapping, it’s just a bit frustrating. Anyway, I’m ready to get some lessons in, if you’re still offering.”

She immediately brightens up again, and quickly grabs you, and drags you along. You give Twilight a pleading look, but she just shakes her head and calls after you, “Try to have fun. We’re going to meet up for dinner later, so be back by six!”

The trip to where Rainbow wanted to practice was just a few minutes away, although we were going at a pretty fast pace. It’s a pretty large field, so you are fairly confident that colliding with anything, other than the ground, is unlikely. Rainbow finally lets go of you, and takes a few steps more, then turns to look at you. She is giving you a critical look, as if she is trying to figure something out about you. Just a few moments later she steps to your side, and continues her evaluation.
When she is standing in front of you again she has a smile on her face. “I’ve seen some pegasi that didn’t look at all built for flight, but your body is almost as good as mine. And that’s saying something.”

“Thanks, I guess. I’m eager to actually start flying, so where do we begin?”

After half an hour of form, and style, you finally are standing on a small rise. You spread your wings, and begin running down the hill, beating your wings. As you pick up speed you feel yourself getting lighter. You pump your wings harder, and your hooves begin pumping the air, rather than the ground. You keep up with your wings, and eyes closed as you keep pumping your wings.

You hear Rainbow cheer, and you open your eyes. You are at least a hundred feet up in the air, and you’ve never felt more alive. It’s a blissful feeling, and you never want it to end. Your mind begins racing with thoughts of air currents, and small adjustments to your wings and tail. They all seem natural, so you allow them to progress naturally.

You dip your left wing slightly, and enter a gently banked turn. It feels so right to be in the sky, and you see Rainbow looking up at you with a joyful look on her face. “Why don’t you come up, and join me?”

She doesn’t need to be asked twice, and she’s up with you in a heartbeat. She flies lazy circles around you, and you simply bask in the joy of flight. You spend around twenty minutes getting used to the sensations of flight, before you decide to push yourself some. You pour your strength into your wings, and you start picking up speed. Rainbow flies next to you with a strange look in her eyes.

“Already looking to see how fast you can go?”

“You got it. I want to see just how far I can push myself. While this may sound like a terrible idea I want to do it.”

“Alright, well, you push yourself, and I’ll pick up the pieces.”

You give a short chuckle at that, but are too focused on your flight to worry about her jokes. You continue to pick up speed until you find yourself at a mental block. You know you can go faster, but something is holding you back. You push against it, and try as hard as you can to push through, but it won’t budge.

“Already hitting the wall, eh? You just need the right motivation to get through. Say we make a little bet. I think that if I fly at half my max I can beat you in three laps around Ponyville. Winner gets to call their winnings. Deal?”

You look over at Rainbow, and see she’s got a cocky grin on her face. Half speed and she thinks to win? Is she mocking you? “You’re on,” you manage through gritted teeth. With that she puts on a burst of speed, and starts to pull ahead.
The knowledge that she is beating you so easily causes you to push harder. You pound a mental fist against the wall, as Rainbow called it, and it slowly starts to bow inwards against the fury of your mental onslaught.

With a small gasp you suddenly feel invigorated as the wall seems to shatter under your barrage. The world seems to slow as you push yourself past the point that just held you back. Suddenly Rainbow isn’t gaining distance, but is holding position. You notice that you just passed the field, so one lap is down. You push harder, and harder, yet the gap won’t get smaller.

You find yourself against another mental block. Again, you pound it down, and break through. The distance is closing, and you see the field again. Two down, and this is the last lap. Your outstretched hooves can almost touch Rainbows tail, and so you try harder still. A euphoria flows through you, not only as you break through another mental block, but as you are thrilled with the joy of flight.

You can barely make out the field closing fast, so you give a final burst of speed to close the gap, and take the lead. Sadly, it isn’t enough. Rainbow beats you to the field by less than a hair. You begin a glide to the ground next to a beaming Rainbow. She’s panting pretty hard, which puzzles you, as she was only flying at half her max.

You land, and your legs give out under you. You roll onto your back and just gaze up at the sky. It’s a shade of blue that sets your heart and mind at ease. Suddenly, though, it is obscured by a set of deep pink eyes.

“Looks like I won, as expected.” She boasts, but it’s not spiteful.

“Yeah,” you gasp out. “And you were only going half your max.”

“Actually, I was going flat out. I wanted to push you as hard as I could, and I did. You’re actually as fast as I am.” She says this with a mix of emotion in her voice. A cross between pride, envy, and something darker.

“No way. You said that you’d be going half your speed, not full.”

“Before we made the bet you were going about half my top speed. I wanted to see just how fast you can go.”

“Well, I wasn’t fast enough, so you won the bet.”

“Yeah I did. But I’ll hold onto this win for a bit. I’d like to learn some more about you, before I make my move. Now lets get back to town. You’d probably do good to get some chow down.”

You slowly get to your hooves, and start to stand. Rainbow is already trotting back towards town, and you are thinking about what she could possibly ask for with the bet. Although what’s puzzling you more is what speed you would reach if you had broken through that last barrier in your mind.

You break into a brief run to catch up to Rainbow, and start walking beside her. She’s got a twinkle in her eye when she looks at you, and you know why. Despite what you asked earlier they all still harbor strong feelings for you.

You head back into town with Rainbow at your side, and just for a moment, it feels right. You look over at her for a moment, and feel a connection with this pony. She pushed you at the risk of losing her self-appointed title of fastest pegasus, just to help you. Perhaps there is more to this pony than meets the eye.