• Published 29th Feb 2012
  • 10,056 Views, 739 Comments

Rising Sun - Jet Howitzer



OC(2nd person) is introduced to Equestria, and finds new friends, and enemies

  • ...
29
 739
 10,056

Chapter 9

You look around your house for a moment, before deciding to light up the fire place. It’s not too cold out, but it will add to the atmosphere of the party. You glance over to the large grandfather clock that you just purchased. It was one of the few things that you were willing to splurge on, but you aren’t entirely sure why. It’s pretty, but other than that you don’t know why you wanted it. There’s about half an hour until the party is supposed to start, so you go to the kitchen, and grab some snacks, put them in bowls, and set them out on the coffee table in the living room.

At just ten minutes to six, the time the party was set to start, there came a knock at the door. You open it, and standing there is Twilight, and Spike. You welcome them in, and tell them to get comfortable. They both take a few minutes looking around, and congratulating you on your new home. Before long the others show up as well. When they do, you tell them all your name, and they congratulate you on having discovered it.

You are all seated in the living room, swapping stories, and having a good time. You hear some stories of their various adventures. One story that holds your interest is the time Twilight stopped an Ursa Minor. You all spend about two hours just talking about the other exploits they have had together. Then an hour is spent eating some dinner.

Around nine Pinkie finally jumps out of her seat. “It’s time for us to play some games. I’ve already got a good one picked out!” She pulls out a glass bottle, and places it on the table. “Truth or Dare!”

The others get looks on their faces that clearly show their displeasure at the choice of game. Twilight speaks up, “Are you sure that’s a good idea, Pinkie? Last time we did this things got a bit out of hand. I ended up with a floppy horn, again, and Rarity kissed Rainbow’s turtle.”

They all share a few laughs at that, but they are nervous laughs. You look confused, and they all notice. “Storm,” AJ starts, “Don’t worry yer head none. Ah’m sure that Pinkie won’t take it too far this time. Ain’t that right, Pinkie?”

She raises a hoof, “I promise that I won’t do anything TOO outrageous this time.” Somehow that seems like a strange thing for Pinkie to say, given who she is.

You clear a few things off of the table, before you get started. The others gather around the table, sitting on the floor. You return a moment later, and sit in the open space between Rarity and Twilight. Pinkie reaches out, and gives the bottle a sharp spin. It goes round, and round, before finally pointing at Spike.

“Alright, Spike, truth or dare?”

Spike thinks for a moment, before he settles on Truth. “What is your most prized possession?”

Spike blushes for a moment at the question. “My most prized possession? It’s, um.” Clearly he’s trying to avoid saying what his actual prized possession is, but he finally manages an answer. “My picture of all of us from after you guys beat Nightmare Moon. It has all sorts of good memories attached to it.”

Twilight shakes her head a bit, but doesn’t say anything. Spike gives the bottle a spin, and it lands on you.

He looks at you, before posing to you the namesake question. You think for a moment, before settling on Dare. He gets a glint in his eyes before giving you your challenge. “Storm, I dare you to take each of the girls here on a date before the end of next week. Before you object, I remember you saying that you want to meet up with each of them, so I’m making it an official dare.”

The others seem accepting of this, so you shrug. “I guess that will work. I didn’t want it to be forced, but I suppose that this will do.”

The game continues for a few more rounds before Pinkie gets to spin again. It ends up pointing to Rainbow, and she gets the question.

“Dare. I’m willing to take the risk.” Rainbow’s boastful nature is going to put her in an awkward spot someday, you think to yourself.

“Okay, Rainbow, I dare you to give Storm a kiss on the cheek.” Rainbow just gives Pinkie a glare, to which Pinkie shrugs. “You chose dare, so now you gotta do it.” Well then. You think to yourself, continuing from a moment ago. I can't say i didn't see this coming.

“Yeah, I know.” Rainbow gets up, and heads over to you. She stops a step away from you. “Just wish that it wasn’t in a situation like this.”

You speak up, “I’m surprised that you’re so hesitant, Rainbow. The way you were talking earlier I thought you’d be-” You would’ve continued, but Rainbow planted her lips firmly on top of yours. The kiss is soft, but passionate. It lasts only a moment, but in your mind it lasted an eternity. You feel a burning rush in your cheeks, and notice one on Rainbow’s face as well.

Rainbow turns to look back at Pinkie. “There, I gave him a kiss. Not on the cheek, but a kiss nonetheless.” Pinkie, and the others all burst into laughter at that, and your blush only deepens. Rainbow sits back down, still blushing, before she gives the bottle a spin. There’s nothing as provocative as that for a while. Eventually Pinkie gives it a spin, and it points to you.

Pinkie asks, and you answer, “Truth.”

She thinks for a moment, before she gives a quick giggle. “Alright, Storm. If you had to pick one of us to take on a date, right now, who would you choose?” She has a wide smile on her face, and you feel a blush rush to your cheeks.

“Oh, geez. Really, Pinkie?” She just nods, and you take a moment to think. All the girls, and even Spike, are staring at you with inquisitive looks on their faces. You even see some blushes. You like all of them, that’s a fact, but you don’t know any of them well enough to just pick one. And, with that minor revelation, you make up your mind.

“I know who I would choose. And it will likely disappoint most of you.” They all look at you expectantly. “I wouldn’t choose any of you. Not because I don’t like you, but because I wouldn’t want to rush into anything. I said it before, and I’ll say it again. I don’t want to start a relationship, on that level, with any of you until it feels right.”

You didn’t notice, but you stood up during your brief speech, and you sheepishly sit back down.

“It’s okay Storm, we don’t want you to rush in,” Fluttershy says. “You should only make that decision when you’re ready to. Um, if that’s okay with you.”

You glance over at the clock, and with a start, realize that it is almost midnight. “I don’t know if any of you have plans for tomorrow, but I know that both Rainbow and I have weather duties tomorrow, so I’m afraid that this little shindig is at an end.” They all groan at this announcement, and begin grumbling about their own engagements for tomorrow. A short while later, and it’s just you and Rainbow in the room.

“So, about that kiss,” you start. “You didn’t have to do it on the lips.”

She blushes furiously at that, and looks down at the ground, before looking back up at you. “I know, but it felt right. I know you don’t want to get involved, so I’m sorry for putting you in that situation.”

You walk over, and lift her head up, so she’s looking at you. “Trust me, Rainbow, there’s nothing to apologize for.” You feel your own blush start, and before you let things get out of hand, you bring her to the door. “Heh, never thought I’d be asking a mare as pretty as you to step out of my house.”

She giggles a bit at that, before giving you a quick peck on the cheek, a wave, and then she takes off for her house.

As you shut the door you just sit down on the floor. “Well, so much for being uninvolved,” you say to no one. You just sit for a moment, thinking about what just happened.

You eventually make your way to bed, and you lie down. After a long day like today, sleep comes quickly.


Again you find yourself falling, before you notice that you are in a home, of some sort. There’s a fireplace against one wall, and you’re sitting on the large couch that dominates the room. You hear a couple voices coming from the other room, but you recognize them as your mom, and grandmother.

You remember that grandma had a piano, so you look over to it, but then a more pronounced voice sounds out.

“Well, what do we have here? An earlier memory?” The chilling voice speaks again.

“You really are bad at masking our presence here.”

“Oh, damn! I’ll fix this right-” And the voice cuts out.

You get up off the couch, and head over to the piano. It’s a grand instrument, and despite your only basic knowledge of music, you sit down in front of it, and place your hands upon the keyboard.

You strike a few notes, before diving into a quick jaunty tune. It's littered with mistakes, but it still sounds good. As you finish up you turn to see your mother, and grandmother sitting on the couch. They are both smiling. Your grandmother gets up, and sits on the bench next to you.

“Oh, dearie, that was wonderful. Do you know anything else?”

“I just made that up on the fly. I didn’t even think about it, it just flowed out of me.” Your grandmother smiles at that, and grabs a small folder that you didn’t notice before. She hands it to you, and you open it. Inside is sheet music that you don’t recognize.

“This is the song that I’d like for you to play for me at my funeral.” You look up as soon as she says this. “Don’t worry, dear, I have no intention of dying any time soon, but when that time comes I’d like this to be played.”

“I promise. I’ll learn this by heart. I swear.” She gives you a quick hug, before she gets up, and heads over to her daughter. They head back to the kitchen, and you look over the music and start practicing.

As you start playing the scenery around you changes, and you find tears in your eyes. It’s just a few months later, and your grandmother is dead. You finish the last few notes of the song, and silence, broken only by brief sobs, permeates the room. You get up, and head to the seat you had from earlier. The scene blurs again, and you find yourself in an office, and a man is sitting behind a desk in front of you.

“This is all she left for you. Two envelopes marked “one” and “two.” I was told to instruct you to open one, and then follow the instructions.”

You quickly left the office, and found a spare room in the building. You take a seat, and hold the envelope in shaky hands. You slowly pull it out, and look at it.

Dear [NAME],
I’m sorry that my time came so soon, but I want you to know that I love you. I know that you are probably upset with me, as I let you nothing but this letter, and the second one. Know, though, that they are the best gift I could ever hope to give you. The second letter is your twenty-first birthday present, so don’t open it until then. The contents of that letter will probably be hard to accept, but know that it is ultimately for the best. It will bring you happiness, and perhaps we’ll even see each other again. Keep up the piano practice, and always remember to forgive, rather than hold a grudge.
All of my love,
Grandma

As you finish the letter you find yourself in the forest again. You just cleared a village, and it’s ten minutes till midnight. You are going to desert the military today; as you can’t stand the executions that you are forced to do. This “War” has turned into a massacre. The enemy, if you can call it that, has yet to fire a single round in retaliation.

You check your watch one last time, and see that it is in fact midnight.

“Happy birthday to me,” you mumble under your breath. You pull out grandma’s letter, and look at it with a mild indifference. You pull out your knife, and cut the letter open.

You slowly pull out the letter…