• Published 30th Jan 2015
  • 23,841 Views, 1,841 Comments

The Slumber of Gaia - Khenlos



Gaia, an alicorn from another world, is convinced to take a break and go to Equestria so she can relax in that peacful land. But what can she do after seeing an entire planet grow from the very beginning?

  • ...
50
 1,841
 23,841

Those Who Fight

The spectators were silent as both stallions clashed on the training arena. It was an unexpected show for everypony.

Shining took the lead with his first strike but he was unable to land another hit. He tried every move on the book and his foe just made a counter in the most impossible of ways. Sometimes he parried with his sword; he frequently jumped or sidestepped out of the harm's way with ease not normal for somepony so big, more often than Shining wanted to admit he just swatted the sword away with a hoof, not even bothering to blink. It was just maddening for the young captain.

Prometheus on the other hand didn't seem very keen to attack his foe, but that didn't mean he was just standing idle. Every twitch and move made by Shining was registered in Prometheus' mind, filing that info away as he almost danced around, and over, Shining Armor. With calculated movements he studied his opponent as he slowly but surely was giving into his anger, making more predictable moves and trying to tire Prometheus with unrelenting and consecutive strikes. But it wasn't enough.

Even with his short and quick strikes Prometheus just flowed with every move and parried or stopped him every time, his eyes always looking at Shining. Said captain tried to find an opening in Prometheus' defense... and finding just too many.

'How can this be? He deflects every attack even when leaving himself open... How?' Shining though, taking a break as the first round ended. Prometheus was surprisingly flexible and even with a small arming sword he was able to counter every attack.

"Two minutes!" yelled the recruit acting as a referee. Everypony was murmuring about this development, even the princess.

"I don't think it's possible somepony that weights so much to move that quick..." a surprised Luna said as several officers nodded at this, now really interested in the alicorn male. Soon the break time was over and they went into the arena again.

"So... Ready to the next round?" Shining asked as he got into a fighting stance. Prometheus just rolled his eyes and looked at Shining with a small smile.

"Sure. This is fun. It's been some time since I was able to practice with any kind of sword" he simply said, getting again in his infuriating stance, as if not caring for the match. Shining grunted at that and readied himself.

"Begin!"

Shining Armor attacked first, teleporting behind Prometheus as soon as he heard the signal. He approached Prometheus with swiftness and attacked with a quick strike... only to miss as Prometheus moved just barely to avoid the attack, grazing his fur.

"Oh? That almost had me, but you should know that your magic is pretty loud and flashy" Prometheus said as he slowly turned to face Shining. "That's a dirty move. I thought we were going to use our own strength" Prometheus said with a stoic expression.

"Ah, but magic is a inherent ability to every unicorn. Why should I forgo to use it?" Shining replied with a smirk. Prometheus laughed at that before smiling widely.

"Is that so? Well, if that's the case..." Prometheus cryptically said. Shining wondered what he meant before he and every pony with some magic affinity felt a very heavy presence above them. Shining felt observed by every angle and steeled himself for any attack from Prometheus... when suddenly he found himself shooting past the arena and colliding with a haystack.

"P-Point for Prometheus!" the referee yelled. Everyone was sweating and confused.

"I didn't feel a hit. How did he launched me this far?" Shining asked to a guard that approached him.

"I don't know sir. I would say magic but his horn didn't light up once. You just... were thrown away"

Shining approached Prometheus, who was smirking at him. "How did you do that?"

"I just moved you with my mind. Uohohoho" Prometheus said in a joking tone, shaking his hooves as if was a pretty stereotypical ghost. Shining snorted at that.

"Fine, be that way. We still have one more point. Let's see who's the best. So far your style it's just defending yourself except that... whatever you did to throwing me." Shining said as he got in position. Prometheus just nodded at him.

"You still have so much to learn, young knight. You focus on quick and precise strikes to defeat quickly your opponent. Logical, and usually effective against untrained troops or just standard infantry. Your body is in a most excellent condition, balancing muscle mass and swiftness, making you quick on your hooves and strong in your blows... But you are facing someone who perfected combat to an art, and I'll show you just how outclassed you are and how much you ponies need to improve. I am an artist and this is my canvas." Prometheus said as he got into position, smiling at him and puffing out his chest.

"Fighting isn't an art! There is nothing artistic about combat. It's just a means to an end. A tool to protect ourselves and others. If we could we wouldn't even have a guard to begin with" Shining said as he tensed up.

"Ah, but I disagree. I'll show you the true beauty of combat..." Prometheus said as he smiled widely.

"Begin!"

The whole round was a blur for everypony watching the two stallions fight.

They clashed quickly and retreated, making a strange dance out of the fight. They didn't make big or flashy moves, no. It was a duel between battle-hardened warriors, and each blow was meant to hit with force. They moved to the rhythm of a unsung song, almost in a strange kind of harmony. Shining using very well known moves by the equestrians while Prometheus using a very mixed style of fight, using all of his body parts to attack and defend, cornering the young captain to retreat with quick teleports when the pressure was too much for him. As the round went on Prometheus was taking the lead, striking like a well oiled machine and not stopping or slowing his rhythm.

The bell rang and both warriors went to rest, Shining cooling himself with water and watching as his rival for this duel just sat there, moving lazily his wings. 'If this keeps going on...' Shining thought, nodding to himself as he was called to the training arena once again.

The public was tense and everypony was immersed with a battle that was surely going to be on the news as some photos were taken from somewhere between guards. Prometheus just smiled at Shining Armor.

"That was a good warm up. Let's get serious, shall we?" He said, making Shining confused for a moment, but it was just what his foe needed as the bell rang, making the alien alicorn jump into action.

This time Shining Armor was forced to do a hasty retreat as Prometheus attacked him, his neck moving furiously as the small arming sword made Shining's own longsword vibrate, even while being in the magical hold of the young stallion. As Shining tried to sidestep Prometheus jumped over him as he tried to kick him from above. The young captain rolled on the ground, trying to attack the underbelly of the alicorn but it was futile as he deflected the sword with his rear leg. Prometheus retaliated with a swift spin, making a small layer of dust fly between them. Not seeing his objective, Shining played safe and cast his famed shield around him... seconds before his head rattled as his shield was struck multiple times.

"Can't fight in the dark, young knight? You can't hold your shield forever" Prometheus taunted, his form becoming visible as the dust settled.

"Is that a fact? I managed to cover this city with my own power. I think I can manage a small shield for myself" Shining stated proudly... before his shield moved a little as another blow impacted against it.

"Impressive..." Prometheus said before striking again, making the shield move away from him just a bit, and making Shining move with it "Very impressive... You are quite skillful in the ways of magic, but even the sturdier armors have weaknesses..." he said as he continued to strike again and again, making the shield move a little with each blow.

"I admit... that I was afraid you'll break it but..." Shining said as he smiled "It seems that my shield can stand your attacks"

Prometheus just smiled as he continued to strike relentlessly. The officers and other guards were murmuring about this strange and stupid way to fight. Clearly Shining Armor's shield was a match for the alicorn's strength, so why did he keep attacking if it was fruitless?

They didn't know, but not everypony was so oblivious.

"Fool! Move out of the way! You are exactly where he wanted!" Luna yelled at Shining Armor.

"What?" was the only reply he managed to say before his shield shattered with an impact so strong that the ground shook, sending Shining a several meters away from the sheer kinetic power of the blow.

"Point for Prometheus! The winner is Prince Prometheus!" yelled the referee.

"What!? That's not possible! I..." Shining tried to protest as he was that both of his hind legs were outside the ring.

"I didn't need to hit you" Prometheus simply said as he spat the sorry remains of the arming sword. "Damn good shield, but let me tell you a little something about energy shields. Try to divide the shield into identical geometric shapes, like hexagons, so the force of the blows can be distributed and if it breaks it will not all fall apart" he explained to Shining as he approached him "That way you can make stronger shields with less energy... I think you'll need to improve your focus though, since you'll be making a very complex geometrical construct, but I think you can handle it... Just a few pointers, don't have to do it if you don't want to" he finally said as his mane fell to his face, again covering his orange eyes as he mysteriously smiled at Shining Armor. The young captain chuckled as he dusted himself off.

"Is that so? Maybe I should try to be less conservative and more experimental with my spells." Shining said with a small smile. "Good fight, Prometheus"

"That's the spirit! The only way you can improve is breaking established limits." Prometheus said as he nodded, walking with Shining towards the lunar princess.

"Now I'm still curious, how did you manage to throw me away? No pony detected any magic" Shining asked.

"Yes, I am most curious too" Luna said as she approached both stallions.

"I didn't joke when I said I moved you with my mind. I used psychokinesis." Prometheus said, baffling the native ponies around him.

"Don't you mean telekinesis?" Shining asked.

"No no, I used only my mind. No magic or odic force. Just the power of my brain" he said as he pointed towards his head "All in the noggin'"

"I cannot believe that. Truly you jest" the lunar princess said while Shining nodded.

"What, you don't have any psykers in your species? Mind reading... that sort of thing?" Prometheus asked as the group left the arena, leaving the rest of the guard talking between themselves.

"Why yes, we can read minds using a spell form the forbidden archives, and for moving things with the... mind... we have our magic. Every unicorn can perform basic telekinetic feats" Luna explained "You did nothing new, apart from being apparently a magicless phenomenon"

"I could explain in how many ways you can perform similar feats with approximate results but you still need to learn about quantum and hyperdimensional mechanics before even try to grasp some of the concepts of how the thought of a powerful mind affect the visible universe..." Prometheus said before coughing, seeing as his audience didn't manage to follow his explanation "Suffice to say, you are not quite ready yet. You're getting there, and some concepts will be easier thanks to your knowledge on the thaumic sciences"

"Quite... let's just be on our way" Luna said as Shining just bowed politely at both of them

"I'll leave you from here. I need to keep our guys in shape. A pleasure to spar with you, Prometheus" Shining said with a salute. Prometheus just laughed and did a quick salute with his wing.

"Carry on, soldier" he simply said.

As the young captain left both alicorns alone Luna felt that she needed to ask something to her guest.

"So, before the battle... you did something" Luna said. Prometheus chuckled.

"Maybe. It depends on what 'something' did you see" he replied as they walked inside the castle.

"You body shifted, you muscles were less tense and more defined than before. Is some kind of martial technique?"

"No, I just used a little boost. Let just say that shields aren't the only thing than can be improved via geometric patterns" Prometheus mysteriously said as he shook his head, moving his mane away and winking at the lunar princess, making her blush and stop in place.

"W-what!? That's not an answer!" she yelled, making Prometheus laugh as he kept going on.

"Isn't it, though?" he said as he smirked at her, making the dark alicorn huff.

"Fine, be that way. It's not like I wanted to know about your stupid techniques or anything" the princess said as she powered on, taking the lead and looking back with a competitive smile. "What, are you too tired to keep up with me?" she asked with a smirk. Prometheus just shook his head and kept the same pace.

"What would your sister say if you were to lose me? All alone in this dark and solitary castle" Prometheus said as a maid passed near him... followed by a guard.

"My lord" he said to the male alicorn.

"Royal guard" said alicorn replied with a nod. The lunar princess just sighed and walked towards him "This was just a one-time thing. Statistically speaking..."

"Don't care, you tire me with your babbling. Now carry me." Luna said as she climbed on Prometheus, making herself comfortable in the fluffy fur of the now uncomfortable alicorn.

"... Are you not supposed to guide me?" he asked. Luna pointed with her head towards a hall.

"That way" she said, making Prometheus sigh as he walked.

"I was the one making that tiresome exercise. What if I fall dehydrated, or worse?"

"You are a big stallion, so you can manage" Luna said with a smirk "Plus your ranting and lengthy explanations tire me, so while I am your host you need to treat a dame with care" Prometheus just shook his head. "Also I know you can handle little old me on your back. That strike you made against Prince Armor's shield was not made by a weakling... so come on! Chop chop!" Luna said with a laugh.

"You just want to feel my fur... You are lucky that I'm not the bloody warlord I used to be"

"Oh, that I want to hear. How you turned from bloodthirsty warmonger to... what was that word that Queen Chrysalis used? Ah, yes... to a nerd..." Luna said with a malevolent smile. "Now turn right"

"Alone with a crazy princess. Fun times." Prometheus said.

"My lord" said a guard behind one of the columns.

"Are you mocking me or are you really posted in this hall?" Prometheus asked the royal guard, who cocked his head in confusion.

"...My lord?" he innocently asked. Luna meanwhile was laughing as a madmare.

"... Royal guard" Prometheus said as he continued his walk. Luna managed to contain her laughs before resting her head on top of Prometheus' head.

"Come on, say again how alone are you" she taunted.

"Nope, I learned my lesson. I'll not say alone one more-"

"My lord" another guard said.

"Are you kidding me?!"

Author's Note:

Hello there folks! This was hard to do since I had like... four different ways to do this battle in my head, so yeah. A bit undecided till the very end. Also the first time I write a fight in English, so be merciful, please :derpytongue2:

Also, soon will be the first anniversary of Gaia! If you want something special you tell me your ideas. I already had a couple, one being a special chapter and another being a drawing, but as I said you can pitch your ideas.

Sorry for the long wait, and I hope you like it!
As always, this has been only proofread by myself so grammar errors and the like are bound to happen, so sorry about that. :twilightsheepish: