• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 601 Views, 29 Comments

A Heart as Red as Love - sharkray24



Nurse Reeda Heartley (Red Heart as most ponies call her) has a very stressful job and finally she meets her breaking point. Can she go on like this?

  • ...
4
 29
 601

The New Doctor

I was told a few month had passed since I was admitted into the Psyche Ward. The visions I had been having had slowly faded away into a distant memory. By the end of my year long treatment for what started out as a stress-induced heart attack, I was up on my hooves working at the hospital again. But I looked back at the things I had seen, and one thing bothered me still, Dr Hugh Bris never had the name Sin Cyanide, his real name was actually Dr. Bandage Bind, so how had I gotten "Sin Cyanide"? A new Doctor had started working at the Hospital today, and he insisted on working a 24 hour shift. He was a grey, Earth Pony stallion, with a black mane that was combed yet wild at the same time, and he also wore a Bowtie over his hospital uniform. He went by the name Dr. Time Turner, or sometimes just "The Doctor". But the strangest thing about him was his cutie mark, it had nothing to do with medicine, it was an hourglass.

I was working the day shift, and Dr. Turner was starting his second consecutive twelve hour shift. I was sitting at the Nurse's station reading a magazine when he trotted past, I found my eyes drawn to him.

"Hey-a Red." came an annoying voice from behind. It was, you guessed it, Nurse Sugar Spoon, "I can't help but notice you've got your eye on somepony there." she said, looking over my shoulder at Dr. Turner.

"What about it?" I asked, flipping the page of my magazine.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you fancy him 'ay?" she replied.

"Nope." I replied simply. There was a pause, then it hit me like a pile of bricks, "Sugar Spoon," I said.

"Hmmm?"

"Don't you find it strange that Time Turner moved away about two months before Dr. Time Turner moved in?" I asked.

"What are you talkin' about? Who moved?" she asked genuinely.

"Y'know, the clock maker, Time Turner." I prodded.

"Nope, never heard of 'im. Is he new to Ponyville? And why does he 'ave the same name as Dr. Turner?" She seemed puzzled.

I turned to look back at Dr. Turner who only a moment ago had been standing talking to a patient in a wheelchair, but now wasn't there. I got out from behind the Nurses desk, "Sugar Spoon." I said.

"Whu- Me!?" she replied flustered.

"Thanks." I said back, "Glad you understand." I turned and trotted down the hall and took a right. "Doctor Turner!" I called.

"Yes?" came a voice that sounded like it was from Trottingham. His grey and black head stuck out form around the next corner. "Oh, 'ello there, I'm the Doctor." he said and whizzed back around the corner.

"Hold on." I said, galloping after him. I turned the corner, and I was in a hallway I don't think I ever remember being in. It looked the same as all the other hallways, but something was off. The moment I turned the corner the Doctor wrapped his hoof around my mouth.

"Now," he said calmly, "Be very quiet when I let you go, we are both in great danger." and he let go of my mouth.

"What the hay did you just say!?" I shouted, "Are you threatening me Doctor?" I was furious, but now I can see that perhaps I overreacted.

Just then a voice that sounded as clumsy as the owner was turning the corner, "Hello? Who's there?" it was Knee Knocker, "Oh, Nurse Reeda. I hope I'm not disturbing you and Dr. Turner." he said adjusting his glasses.

"Oh Knee Knocker perfect timing I was just about to explain to Nurse Reddy here why she shouldn't freak out. Now, I'm the Doctor, I'm a Time Pony from the Planet Gallopfrey, I'm 1000 years old, and I'm here to help. Also because my TARDIS needed to rest a bit so..." he seemed to say all at once, like it was more of a thought than of spoken words. That's when I realized, it was a thought, his mouth hadn't moved when he said it. "Ah I was wondering when you'd notice," said the Doctor, "when I made physical contact with you I set up a mental link between us, so now all we have to do is think and we'll all hear it." he turned around, "Now," he said changing to a rather serious tone, "have you ever been walking down the hall or street and you think you see something, you barely notice it, out of the corner of you eye? That's called a perception filter. Now when you do notice something out of the corner of your eye and you do a double take, but yet you still don't go explore...well that's just a lack of curiosity on your part. Meanwhile, I'm very curious as to see what's behind that door." he motioned down the hall with his head. Down at the end of the hall was a big metal door with "do not cross" tape all over it.

How had I not noticed that before?

"Ah, that's the perception filter working its science on you." the Doctor replied inside my head. "Now, let's see what's behind it." We slowly started walking towards the door. Knee Knocker seemed to be less stressed than one would think. The Doctor pulled out what seemed to be a wand of some sort, that glowed green at the tip, and made a buzzing sound. The door opened and we entered.

Author's Note:

I just wanted to write a story that was going to be a message about love and such that was going to be super realist and now look at what I've done! Curse the day I started watching Doctor Who! JK, but yeah, this story took a big 180. I'm sorry if I "Deus Ex Machina"ed my way out of the last chapter but I was just suffering from complete writers block and I've been watching a lot of Doctor Who lately.

Comments ( 1 )

So how about an update this year?

Login or register to comment