• Published 13th Sep 2013
  • 4,653 Views, 880 Comments

Let's Play: Equestria Online! - Jakinbandw



A look at the new MLP MMO where we find out if Friendship is Optimal

  • ...
10
 880
 4,653

Trying a New Job

In Which I Expound On Earth Pony Magic

Forest Trails pointed out to me last night that since most of those that read this are not earth ponies, they would probably be interested in how earth pony magic works. I figure that she is probably right, so I decided to make a few quick notes for those of you that are interested. This will be very brief however, and I urge those that are truly interested to hit up their local library and check out the book 'Your Hooves and You; An Earth Pony Primer.'

So the first thing you need to know about earth pony magic is that it all extends from connections between their hooves and something else. The second thing to know is that it is not flashy. It is as subtle as possible. I would go so far as to say that it is shy, though the books I read disagree on whether or not the magic that we tap into is alive, or just something subconscious on the earth ponies part.

All earth pony magic is based on these two laws. For example; The folding trick that I pulled off with the egg was done because I was holding it in my hooves, and only possible because there was no-one around. I flowed power into it and altered its properties so that it was two dimensional and able to bend in the third dimension without causing stress to the egg. To give people an idea; it took me about ten minutes to do. Now take a look at Pinky Pie from the show who can slip a canon into and out existence in a fraction of a second.

As I learned from the books last night, there are other ways to carry more than one thing, you can shrink it, or make it weigh less. You can even with skill, slip it out existence completely and pull it back again later. The only thing you have to watch is that no one is observing what you are doing when you do it, otherwise the magic will fail and you will get hit with backlash.

As I understand it, backlash makes it so that an earth pony is unable to use their magic for a certain amount of time depending on how badly they messed up. If someone witnessed me folding the egg for example, I would have been without magic for several minutes. If someone caught me popping the egg out of existence however, I could lose my power for upwards of an hour. On top of that the magic I was trying to use wouldn't manifest in the first place leaving the egg unchanged.

One more interesting thing about backlash; the amount of backlash that a pony recieves is directly linked to how closely they are friends with the pony that witnessed their attempt. If two ponies are strong friends and one happens to witness the attempt, the resulting backlash is orders of magnitude less powerful. For example; if Forest Trails were to witness me attempting to fold the egg, the magic would have failed, but I probably would have only lost my power for a few seconds.

At the extreme end of this Two ponies who are completely in love with one another can actually witness each others magic with no ill consequences, and from what I understand of this book, doing so is considered a very sentiment act, shared either between parent and foal growing up, or between two lovers when the pony is old enough.

Now after all of this you might be wondering how Forest Trails could possibly teach me earth pony magic. The answer is that she shows me how it works (or rather, the effects of it working, for example going out a door on one side of the library and then walking in from the other side), and then explains to me how to do it. Her explanations get shown on the pony pad's interface so that I can see how to go about copying her.

Ahem.

So according to Trails I've been rambling. I guess that means that I should probably stop here. I might continue this tomorrow if you guys are interested, let me know in the comments. Hopefully no one found this too boring.

That said...

The First Day Of A New Job In Equestria

So I logged in and found myself at the library. The fire had died down over night and now sunlight was shining in through the windows. A sunbeam was shining down on me and the books that Trails and I had been reading the night before.

I was just glancing around trying to find her when I heard a nervous voice from above me ask, “Um? Hello? Are you Treasure Island?”

I looked up to find a smallish mare hovering in the air above me. She coat was pure white, and her main and tail were golden. The light danced in her mane giving her the appearance of a halo. My first thought looking at her was that she looked like an angel that had been personified. My second was that she looked way to nervous to be an angel.

“I... Uh...” I stammered for half a second before feeling a weird sense of shame, “Yes I am. What can I do for you?”

She gave a relieved smile, “Oh, good! Sometimes it's really hard to track certain ponies down. Would you believe that I've been trying to find you for over a day?”

“Yeah,” I said, “Sorry about that. I'm usually only around between five and six in the afternoon.”

“I'll keep that in mind next time I need to bring you something,” She said, “Oh, that reminds me.”

She reached into her saddlebags and fished around, “I have a delivery for you.”

“Oh? Who from?” I asked.

“Some stallion named Brazen Origin. Ah here we go!” She pulled out a set of saddlebags and tossed them down.

I caught them and looked them over, on the flap that closed them was Forest Trails cutie mark. Inside I saw a note saying; 'Forest Trails would love to see you wearing this.' I glanced back up at the pegasus who was still hovering above me, “Thank you!”

“You're welcome.” She said with a warm smile on her face.

She turned to leave, but I stopped her with a question, “If I need to send something how should I go about it?”

“It's actually pretty easy,” She replied over her shoulder, “Just go down to the post office at The Crossroads and ask for Shining Halo. I'll be willing to deliver whatever you want to send.” She took off again, and left a streak of golden light behind her that momentary blinded me.

“The Crossroads?” I asked, but she was already gone. The light of her passing turned to sparkles that slowly floated downward before twinkling out reminding me of fireworks.

“What about crossroads?” I heard behind me and turned to find Forest Trails coming out from behind a bookshelf.

I gave her a smile, “I don't know. A mailmare told me that if I ever needed anything delivered to ask for her at 'The Crossroads.' Does that mean anything to you?”

“Nope. If you want we could look it up later, but not right now. Right now we have a stallion to see about a job.” As she came up beside me, she gave me a gentle swat, “You shouldn't let yourself get distracted so easily.”

I winced, “Sorry, do you know a good shortcut to his place?”

She nodded, “Yeah, there is an unused alley nearby, just follow the route I take.”

She stepped behind a bookcase and I sent out a line of influence, following hers through the city till I felt it stop. I linked the location back to where I was and folded the two together. A second later I was through letting the power drop before anyone could see the fold that I had just stepped through. Ahead of me Forest trails walked out of the alleyway. I took a moment to slip on my new saddle bags and then I followed her.

We had arrived only half a block away from Maps To Adventure. As we walked I ended up passing Forest Trails because I was pretty excited. However just after I passed her, Forest Trails pulled me off to the side of the road, a tiny bit of a blush on her cheeks, “Treasure Island... Do you know what it means to wear saddle bags with the mark of a mare?”


Walking through Canterlot with an embarrassed Forest Trails

“No,” I said with a bit of a sinking feeling.

She chuckled, “I figured. It is a way of stating to the world your engagement to that mare. Or stallion if it is reversed.”

I blushed a bit myself and slipped the bags off again, “I don't think I want to move that fast,” I said with a nervous chuckle.

She smirked, “I didn't think so. If you want we could go get the mark changed-”

“Or,” I said cutting her off, “I could give it to you. It wouldn't have any implications that I am not aware of would it?”

She blinked taken aback, “I... Uh... Well. No. I don't think so. But you-”

I silenced her with a hoof and slid the saddlebags onto her back, “For you, my dear Forest Trails.”

She blushed really prettily, I turned and started walking again, though I went slow so that it would be easy for her to catch up. After a few seconds she did. She had regained her composure, but her cheeks were still a bit pink. And every now and then I noticed her glancing at me. I unfortunately am not the type of guy that can read body language like that well, so I don't have a clue what it meant.

When we were about to step inside the shop she glanced at me with a twinkle in her eye, “So, I guess this is what it is going to be like being your marefriend.”

“Hmm?” I questioned.

“Having all my gifts from you be hand-me-downs.” she said, her twinkle growing into a familiar smirk. I stumbled and she she took the lead stepping inside the shop ahead of me.

“I- Hey!” I chased her into the shop, and found Free Breeze standing between the two of us. He turned to face me and behind him I saw Forest Trails playfully stick out her tongue.

“Island! Hey, how are you?” Free Breeze said either missing or ignoring the byplay.

“Erk” I said before composing myself. “I'm doing fine. I'm ready to go!”

He nodded and adjusted his saddlebags, “How 'bout you miss?”

“Always ready,” she said, her smirk disappearing and a serious look replacing it.

“Right, then it's time to go!” He said with a grin, his horn lighting up. A moment later the three of us teleported in a flash of light.

As I got my vision back from, I glanced around and found that were standing on a beach. To one side of us the ocean rolled, and on the other I could see several large palm trees growing. High above the palm trees I could see a mountain standing tall. “Where are we,” I asked fairly surprised. I had been expecting to take a train or something.

“I don't know,” Breeze said with a grin. “Why don't you try to figure it out?”

“You don't know where we are? You're kidding right?” He shook his head indicating that he was not. I sighed and stamped a hoof against the ground sending out my power in a pulse, just seeing what was connected to the point of ground I was standing on. As the pulse spread out I realized that we were instead on an island that was fairly large. As my power got spread over a greater and greater distance the details got fuzzy, but I kept it up till I hit the nearest major land mass.

The nearest continent was over a thousand miles away. I turned to stare at Breeze, “We are on an island in the middle of the ocean. I think you're spell failed.”

He shook his head, “Nope. It goes and finds a random unexplored area that I can survive in. So it won't drop me in space or anything.”

As I was thinking over the sheer insanity of it Forest Trails spoke up, “Canterlot is about twelve hundred miles north west west of here.”

I glanced at her, “I think I need to practice more. I could only tell that there was land out that way.”

“Do it in multiple steps. When you find land, send your power out in a narrow line and use the edge of land as your new epicentre,” she replied.

Free Breeze looked out at the ocean, “That is a good distance. Actually you don't have to worry. I have a return section as part of the spell, so that I can return to Canterlot as long as I and everyone I took with me are together at our arrival place.”

I nodded, “That makes more sense. Still, what do we do now?”

Free Breeze and Forest Trails glanced at each other and grinned. Free Breeze replied, “Simple. We head to the highest point on the island and do some mapping, then we go explore anything that looks interesting.”

I nodded and we started walking. I practised a bit more earth pony magic as we walked. Small stuff so that it wouldn't get disrupted by the other two. I started to get a fairly good idea of what the island looked liked, but found that there were a few caves that messed with my head when I tried to send my power into them. I also spotted some ruins, but they seemed twisted off the rest of the island somehow and it seemed the only way to get to them was by passing through a water fall.

I shared this with the others as we walked and Free Breeze mentioned that a lot of the most interesting areas didn't bother conforming to normal geometry. That was one of the reasons why we were going to get a look from the high point. The way that earth pony magic worked actually meant that the view I was getting of the island would be distorted compared to what someone would see if they were flying over (actually the other way around. I was sensing the true island, and someone flying over would see the island distorted).

Notes From The End Of The Day

We made it to the top of the peak that was in the centre of the island. There is actually a small cave up here that we are going to camp in for today, and then tomorrow we will do some exploring of the island.

Back on earth we actually finished the claims a day early. My father and I split up today and each managed to finish a claim on our on and we are actually on our way home as I am typing this. It's just another hour drive till I get to my computer and I wanted to get this post up while it was till fresh in my mind. That means that I will actually be able to read your comments again.

Oh, and Trails apparently wants to add something so I'm going to let her take over writing for a minute.

Dear Brazen Origin,
I applaud your skill with pranking and thank you for being an opportunity to be a part of it. I would like to let you know that I feel indebted to you for this great honour. Indeed, it is not every day that a mare gets to be publicly embarrassed, and I look forward to answering the questions of my family when I get back home. It shall surely give me a great opportunity to explain to them that I am not about to be married out of wedlock.

I would like to repay this kindness, but as you are a visitor my options are limited. However you shouldn't worry. I am a mare with many talents, and of great imagination. I always to pay my debts.
Sincerely
Forest Trails

It's interesting. I've never seen her smile quite so sweetly as she did while she was writing that letter. I think I'm going to sit a bit further away from her right now. I'll see you in the comments in an hour. Till then.

Susland