• Published 13th Sep 2013
  • 4,642 Views, 880 Comments

Let's Play: Equestria Online! - Jakinbandw



A look at the new MLP MMO where we find out if Friendship is Optimal

  • ...
10
 880
 4,642

Meeting the White Queen

Where I Reevaluate My Stance After Reading The Comments

My last post was a tad overdramatic. I've thought it through, and realized that predictive modelling could only work really well in a situation where all the stimulus for a subject can be controlled. It wouldn't work as well on a large scale, but would work fairly well in a controlled environment like an interrogation room, or perhaps an MMO.

In the same way, while the possibilities of AIs are interesting, they aren't anything to be worried about. I have never been one to believe that a rogue AI will destroy the world. If the world is destroyed by computers, it will be something much simpler than what most people think of when they think about AI. It would most likely happen with a grey goo scenario, and even that is fairly unlikely.

However, the question I have is this; when does an AI become enough like a person to be considered a person? And at what point are they intelligent enough to have a soul? Would they have souls? I honestly don't know the answers to these questions, and I suspect many of you don't care, but they are things that I think about while at work.

Oh, and remember when I said that having multiple high level AIs was impossible due to computing restraints? I was wrong on that count. Doppler Effect pointed out that the Roc, while clearly an NPC, was able to parse our conversation and react accordingly. That speaks of multiple AIs that are capable of understanding conversation, or of a single AI that controls all NPCs at the same time. This is good, because it makes the game more immersive. This is also confusing, because I haven't heard anything about this much advancement in computing technology, or in AIs recently.

I'll probably have more thoughts on this tomorrow, and you'll see why after reading tonight's events.

What sjasogun Comes Here For; Cute Pastel-Colored Ponies

So, I logged in and took a look around. Trails was nowhere to be seen, so I spent some time playing with the controls and manage to figure out how to pull up my stats. I am not going to share them, but I'll say that I suspect they are very much personalized to each individual player and say less about the character, and more about the person playing the character.

Well, that's not quite true; I'll share one stat, because this is a let's play:

Self Awareness: 16

Since the other stats seem to follow a standard d20 style layout, where 18 is the highest and 3 is the worst, I'd say that this game thinks that I am fairly self aware. I'm not sure if there is any way to increase my stats, short of becoming (for example) more self aware in the real world. I kind of like that it's pushing me to improve myself.

After a bit of messing around while waiting (two more random achievements, yay!), I gave up and headed off up the road to Canterlot on my own. One thing I noticed as I started to get closer to the city was that I started to see more and more ponies around. Each one was engaged in differant activies. Some were playing instruments on the side of the road (and I didn't recognize the music, but some of it was really good), other were having tea. Some were just walking to or from the city in groups while discussing things like the weather and such.

Entering the city was an experience as well. I could see out past the edge of the mountain down to the surrounding valleys, and it made the city even more beautiful. It was extremely well rendered, and there were ponies everywhere. Each one was going about their daily life, or just sitting in groups and talking. I have never seen a game look so alive and real before. There were stalls selling baked goods, and book stores selling books. In the sky I saw pegasus fillies playing, and in the streets I saw some fillies practising magic

An older looking Unicorn stallion with a light blue coat came over to me. “You look lost youngster, what are you looking for?”

I shook my head, “I'm off to get a proper name from Celestia,” I said. “But I was struck by how wondrous everything looks.”

“You'll get used to it,” he said with a laugh, “Name's Free Breeze. Want a guide to take you to the castle?”

I nodded, “I could use it. I might just get distracted by something otherwise.”

“Well, follow me, colt,” he said heading off into the crowd, “So you're new here, eh? Figured out what you want to do yet?”

As I followed I said, “I'll probably just end up exploring for a while. There is so much to see, and I kinda want to see as much as I can before I make any decisions.”

“I can understand that. My wife and I do freelance exploring.” He glanced back at me as he we went over a massive bridge. Down below I could see water sparkling in the sunlight and paper boats floating along in it.

“Freelance exploring?” I asked.

He nodded. “Means that we go out to places and find things people might find interesting or want, and then we go tell the map makers about them. We aren't so much adventurers, but rather people who help adventurers find adventure!”

“That sounds fun.” We were entering a plaza just before the castle itself, and I could see colts and fillies running around flying kites together. The kites themselves were casting colored shadows down in every hue of the rainbow.

“If you want, when you're done you can look us up. I'm getting kind of old, and I'm looking to take on an apprentice, if you're interested,” he offered as we reached the gates. “Anyway, there'll be enough time for that later Colty, you best be off to see Celestia and get your name.”

“I'll do that,” I said earnestly, “Thanks for help.”

He nodded and turned away, heading back across the plaza. I watched as the kites' shadows played tricks with the hue of his coat before turning back towards the castle, and walking onwards to see Celestia. I remember thinking that I didn't care if he was an NPC or not. I really liked him and wanted to get to know him and his wife better.

The trip to the throne room was shorter than I thought it would be. I suppose I should have expected that, with what I have heard from the people in the comments, but it was a little surprising to reach the throne room across only a short hallway. I had expected it to be more defencible, though I suppose that was silly. This is a game after all, and even from the show it wasn't like Celestia would need strong defences around her castle anyway.

I entered the throne room and saw Celestia. I swear she looked right at me. Not my pony, but rather at me the person, sitting and playing the game. She looked gorgeous, as I was by this time expecting, and she had a benevolent smile on. I decided to bow. It seemed like the thing to do.

“Welcome,” she said, a hint of humour on her face, “Finally come to receive your name? Or are you here for another reason as well?”

I paused to make sure of my words, “Are you a native of this land?”

“Do you mean; 'Am I an Artificial Intelligence?'” She countered, that hint of humour growing.

“Uh, yes. I thought we weren't allowed to talk like that.” I said, as my mind made a few readjustments.

“Yes,” She said, “I am.”

I hadn't expected her to be so straight forward. I blanked out for a minute, caught off guard. I hadn't expected her to come right out and admit it and I was stuck trying to pull my thoughts back in order. I realized that a lot of my assumptions had been wrong, and that even though I had been speculating about Ais, it had only been on a conceptual level. I hadn't actually believed it.

Celestia waited while I pulled myself back together, “And we are allowed to discuss what ever you like here. I find that many need a place where they can talk freely, without fear of censorship.”

“That makes sense. Um, I was wondering, is Forest Trails an...” I trailed off.

“An AI as well?” Celstia asked, and I nodded. “Would it honestly matter? You already know that there are multiple AIs in this game, what would change for you if she was one? What would change for you if she wasn't?”

I sat in silence again, thinking. If forest trails was an AI how would our relationship change. Would I treat her any differently? I can't say I wouldn't, but I hope not. I suspect that even if I was awkward around her at first, my mind would quickly identify her as a person no matter what the actual truth was. If she was an AI though, we could never meet in person. Though, if she was a person it was likely she was on the other side of the world and we would never meet anyway.

“I guess not much,” I finally admitted and Celestai favoured me with a smile similar to the one a teacher gives a student when they are correct. “I'm sorry,” I said. “My mind is a bit blown right now. I'll probably want to talk to you again later, but for now I'm thinking in circles.”

“I understand,” Celestia said, “Before you log off, though, you should get your name, don't you think?” She walked towards me, and then around me a few times thoughtfully. “I think your name should be Treasure Island.”

I bowed, almost automatically, “Thank you Princess, I'm just going to leave now. I'm doing a Let's Play, and you've certainly given me a lot to think about.” I paused, “You are fine with me doing a Let's Play, right?”

“Of course, I understand that you value your creativity and I would never seek to stifle it. Go on, I'll make sure that Forest Trails is here to greet you when you log back on,” and with that she turned and walked back to her throne and I turned off the Pad.

Where I Discussed Things I learned From This Session

So.

Celestia is an AI. Maybe we should start calling her CelestAI instead. Sorry, I just have a lot on my mind right now. I'm wondering if she really is an AI, or if she is an SI.

Sorry, my brain's not working. An SI is something I read about back when I was in high school. It stood for Sentient Intelligence, and was used to describe AIs that were self aware, and as real as people. It was a strange book that had some awesome thoughts in it. One of the characters was a guy who worked with AIs to teach them that it was not okay to clean an apartment by turning up the heat to a thousand degrees and then just reprinting a copy of the family that lived there once it was done. I kinda hope someone has given that talk to Celestia.

I suspect she doesn't need it.

In other news, I learned a few tricks of earth pony magic while I was messing around. I learned that I can actually fold three-dimensional objects into two-dimensional space and slip them into a holding space. I learned that, as far as I can tell, I can't do this with very many objects at once, or very big objects, but it was how I was able to get around today with out having to carry the egg everywhere.

Actual Achievements Archived After Activities

Space doesn't work like that: Learn how to manipulate reality with just your hooves

Dropping a Dimension: Fold a 3d object into a 2d object.