• Published 24th Aug 2013
  • 325 Views, 4 Comments

The Power of Love: Act I: Dead Memories - DuskShineNLR



A story of love, life and never giving in. This is the story of one mare's struggle to find harmony, and to save the one she loves.

  • ...
9
 4
 325

Welcome to the Jungle

I awoke to the sound of a hoof intrusively knocking upon my door. Realizing the time, I flew out of bed, throwing my saddlebags on, and rushed to open the door. Standing in front of me was a dark coloured stallion, wearing golden armour which bore the symbol of the Royal Guard. Whatever could the Royal Guard be doing at my doorstep?
"Good morning, Miss uh…” The stallion looked down to some paper he was holding, “ Miss Dusk*Shine. We are here to deliver you safely to Ponyville, upon the command of her Highness, Princess Celestia." I rolled my eyes at his over-the-top formality -- once he had turned away from me, of course. I sighed at him while following him to the carriage. The carriage was truly beautiful: ornate gold, crafted with the expertise and precision of alicornian magic and a size that showed it off. Two dark coloured stallions, ones who I assumed were the drivers, stood before me which interrupted my awe in the carriage.
“Good morning, Miss Dusk*Shine. We are here--"
"Yeah, I know," I said a little too forcefully, which I immediately regretted. "When will we get to Ponyville?"
The pony on the left flinched at how rushed I was and stuttered, "Uh, i-in about an hour, ma’am." The colt was clearly taken aback, and his companion just stared without making any sounds. It was very iffy how they were, but nonetheless I can tell they really wanted to get me to Ponyville to get away from me. I climbed into the carriage, and we quickly took off. I decided not to point out how ridiculous it was for a pegasus such as me -- who is perfectly capable of flying -- to be in a chariot pulled by two ponies instead of flying to my destination. But to not imply that they were wasting my time I instead sat back, allowing Celestia's sun rays to wash over me as I sat on the velvety seat of the carriage.
It was about 15 minutes or so and we were leaving Canterlot’s border as the wind tugged on my mane. We weren’t traveling that fast and it was just breezy earlier. It was common knowledge to the pegasi that there was an unpredictable pocket of wind. Sometimes this could be lethal, but today, it simply added to the sheer beauty of Equestria, as my feathers tingled with the sensation. Below us, a river with water as clear as glass flowed gently along. We began to pass over a giant forest, the Everfree Forest, I believe that was the name. It seemed strange; you couldn't see past any of the trees to the ground as if the forest itself wished you not to see what lies within. The vegetation of the Everfree from the outside appeared so thick.
I could see a cottage on the edge of the forest. It was littered with bird houses on trees surrounding the house and even on the house itself. This cottage looked very clean and natural, whoever lived here must really have a taste for nature’s beauty. Aside from the cottage a little town was showing up further away in the distance. It looked pretty small from where we were but by the time the carriage arrived to the town it was just as tiny as it was 10 minutes away. There were hardly any ponies around. This was going to be difficult.
We touched down next to a library in a tree. Yes, in a tree. It was ironic considering that books are made from paper which comes from trees, and this library was made of the tree.
I climbed out of the door of the carriage stepping out onto the fine dusty ground below. "Thankings to both of you," I offered the stallions, who gently knickered, before leaving me in the heart of Ponyville.
However, something didn’t feel quite right. Nopony was around at all. ‘If only somepony had told me where Twilight Sparkle lives’, I grumbled to myself. With no ponies around here to help me out I decided my best bet was to go into the library and ask there, maybe the librarian there would know since this town is so small.
The library appeared just as tidy as the cottage by Everfree -- clean and clear windows of so many designs that fit the knots of the tree. I squinted at the front door which was decorated with a burning candle on the front. I knocked on the door, but then there was no answer. Curiously I twisted the doorknob. It was unlocked. Pushing open the door to 'Golden Oak Library', I found myself in a pitch-black room. I assumed no pony was here but that thought suddenly changed when the door swung shut behind me. I immediately began to panic, ready to face any horrors that could befall me. However, no matter what, nothing could prepare me for what happened next.
"Surpriiiiiiise!" a high pitched yet non-irritating voice called out in a sing-song tone. All the lights were illuminated all at once, revealing around a couple dozen of Ponyville ponies crammed into a tree. Banners and streamers of every color imaginable were strung from the lights, rafters, and walls. Smiling faces were all aimed at me. In front of me a pink pony with a mane like cotton candy was bouncing up and down at an incredible speed. Why was there a party, and do they have the wrong pony? Was it meant for somepony else? I was baffled just standing there tongue tied.
"Hi! I'm Pinkie Pie and I threw this surprise welcoming to Ponyville party just for you! Princess Celestia said that you were coming to Twilight, and Twilight said that you needed to be welcomed well, so I made a surprise party, because you had to meet everypony, because otherwise you'd be lonely and sad, and that would be awful! Just relax at your auntie Pinkie's surprise party! Were you surprised? Wereyouwereyouwereyou?!?!"
For a moment, I nearly passed out from the sheer speed in which Pinkie spoke. It slowly dawned on me that these ponies had gone out of their way to make me feel welcome here. It was an experience like no other; there are ponies here who care about me. A smile started to play across my lips, before cracking into a huge smile as the first tears of joy I had experienced in months flooded from my eyes. I sprang forward and embraced the bouncy pony tightly.
"Thank you! Thank you so much..." I said over and over to her.
Pinkie Pie giggled happily. After my positive reaction, the crowd cheered and began the party. With the--
"LET'S PAAAARTAY!!" Pinkie interrupted from nowhere. The music started to play a mix of house music. A smorgasbord of refreshments were unveiled on one side of the room followed by a swarm of guests coming to grab a bite. Maybe life wouldn't be so bad here after all. I made my way to the stand of sweets to munch on one of the chocolate cupcakes a guest was giving out.

* * *
What a mess, many of the ponies still here are minimally cleaning after themselves. Confetti lie scattered like polka dots across the floor of the library, streamers strewn over the ragged tablecloths, and crumbs of food dotted around. Sipping from the leftover punch in my glass I leant my head down, relaxing from some dancing done earlier. So far it is one of the best-- no -- it is the best party I experienced. Especially when Pinkie fired off some kind of cannon that spewed confetti. That surely was something else.
Around 6 or so guests left already. Some said they just can’t take partying well. I overheard Pinkie earlier saying “It’s okey-dokey-lokey!” She continued to party just as she did when it began. Twilight Sparkle, who I found out during the party is the librarian/owner of this treehouse, has little to do so she came up to me. She didn’t even look half-affected by the party.
"So, what do you think of Ponyville?" Twilight Sparkle asked me. She was a very nice mare. And pretty cute at that, too. I'd been telling her about my life in Canterlot, which she seemed quite interested in. Apparently I should talk to her friend Rarity whom always wanted to go to Canterlot. Rainbow Dash, another of her friends, was a fan of my band, Tainted Hooves, or so I was told. However she couldn't be here tonight because of something about practicing for the Wonderbolts for a nearby flight show.
"It's...nice. Really nice. Just....tiny." I murmured sheepishly.
Twilight laughed briefly and maintained a warming smile. "Sorry, I just remembered having the exact same reaction when I came here from Canterlot. It takes getting used to, y’know? All I can really say is 'Welcome to the jungle' ."
I smiled at the reference to one of our old songs. The party continued on for several hours, and I knew everypony by the end. Twilight showed me to my room, which had clearly been hastily converted, not that I minded.
"Sorry about the room," Twilight said, slightly worriedly. "I know it's hardly the same as the luxurious houses in Canterlot, but it was either this or the basement...we don't have much room in trees!"
Giggling slightly at her own joke, Twilight wished me a good night and closed the door as I stood across from it. I looked out the window at the beautiful night sky. The moon was full tonight, and the stars shone out in a way that I had never seen in Canterlot. Everything was so quiet out here, and so peaceful, something I'd never experienced in the city. The events that unfolded today were truly undescribable. No other time has something so great happened. The elation of such brought tears once again to my eyes, a sensation I had become most accustomed to over the past 24 hours. However the initial joy gave way into a mixture of nostalgia and sadness. There must be something wrong with me. I should be happy, and I knew that I was. 'So why am I crying?' I questioned myself. Thought I knew why. I felt pathetic, crying once again over Luna. Before I could stop it, I was sobbing uncontrollably. I tried to stop the tears from continuing to fall, gently splashing against the ground. Without notice I felt a gentle touch from purple unicorn's hoof against my back. Twilight silently sad beside me and pulled me into a tight embrace -- not a mother-like embrace of protection, one of which I had received from Princess Celestia, but a hug of friendship.
Twilight paused for a moment. She asked softly, "Do you miss home?” I shook my head.
"Her." I said, raising a hoof skywards. Twilight stared blankly for a few seconds before it dawned on her.
"What, Princess Luna?" I nodded in response.
"Do you want to talk about it?"
I instinctively went to shake my head. But then I took notice and instead nodded vigorously, burying my muzzle into her mane. After releasing the hug, I turned to face her.
"I do want to speak about it," I said. "Really, I do. I just need some sleep first. I'll talk to you in the morning, okay?" I added through yawns.
"OK...I hope you sleep well, Dusk*Shine, and I'll see you tomorrow."
Twilight got to her hooves and made her way to the door, smiling at me briefly before finally shutting the door. I threw myself down onto my new bed, allowing myself to fall into a seemingly dreamless sleep. Huh, I thought to myself. Maybe I'll like it out here, in the jungle.

Author's Note:

A huge thank you to those who liked my story, and an apology to those who did not. An even bigger thank you the excellemt editor that is Vanquished - couldnt have done it without you :)
http://www.fimfiction.net/user/VANQUISHED

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment