• Published 24th Aug 2013
  • 325 Views, 4 Comments

The Power of Love: Act I: Dead Memories - DuskShineNLR



A story of love, life and never giving in. This is the story of one mare's struggle to find harmony, and to save the one she loves.

  • ...
9
 4
 325

Bittersweet Memories

Brilliant. Just Luna-damning brilliant. Suddenly, Princess Celestia decides to take a random interest in me. Millions of times I've wished the princess would actually notice me. Except whenever that happens, it doesn’t go my way and it’s for the completely wrong reason too. But maybe I’m getting too ahead of myself. After all, I'm Dusk*Shine, a relatively ordinary pegasus mare. Well, not that ordinary. I'm actually kind of famous -- a guitarist for the band ‘Tainted Hooves’ -- which lets me live with all the other famous ponies in Canterlot. Recently though, things took a turn for the worse. The band split up. I was left lonely and depressed. It was too overwhelming to bear; I took a knife to my wrists. After a long period of time unconscious, I awoke in the hospital. Apparently, the mailmare Ditzy Doo (which I think her name was) was delivering a package and saw me lying on the floor. Albeit it was very nice of her, I'm pretty sure I would have preferred her to have arrived late. It was something she seldom done. And to make things a whole lot worse, I'm in love. Unrequited (however much I may daydream) love… of an immortal goddess.
Trotting through the busy streets, I come across a small café called 'Moonbucks', or something equally as strange. I sit alone outside, ignoring the first drops of rain drip onto my coat. In the end, my love's elder sister took notice of my suicide attempt, and she decided that I was too lonely here. Apparently that means I have to go to some backwards town in the middle of nowhere. Ponytown? Ponyville? Whatever it was, it seemed a little too iffy. I sighed as a single tear rolled down my face and fell off of my muzzle to mix with the rain on the floor. I had no one here to leave behind. Or anywhere, for that matter. But... there was Luna. A sudden rush of warmth filled me as I thought of the alicorn: her beauty, her power, her grace. I've never spoken a word to her, but I love her. And she doesn't even know who I am.
But it isn't all bad. I'm going to live with Twilight Sparkle, another princess, to be taught of the magic of friendship or whatever the fuck that means. Well, I am glad that the princesses care about me - please don't take this the wrong way - and I also understand (to an extent) the importance of friendship both to my life and for Equestria, thanks to the constant reminders from the Elements of Harmony as well as their exploits. I am glad the princesses actually look out for me in a conducive manner. I offer the greatest of respect to them. But… I just don't want them to teach me about friendship. I don't need that. If somepony -- even myself -- asked, I would automatically deny that I was scared. It would be a lie; I am definitely scared. I am scared of friendship no matter how fucked up somepony thinks it is.
I sighed and stood up, slightly stretching out my legs. Seeing as I leave tomorrow, it would be most wise if I were to go and pack.
I trotted through the streets, now suddenly empty due to the rain that created a mirror-like reflection of my mood. I reached the small house that I had called home for the past two years, ever since moving from Cloudsdale. I was thrown out of the house by my mother (my father had left before I was born) at 16, because I was gay. Thankfully I was taken in by a mare named Moondancer, with whom I had a relationship lasting 8 months, before she died, leaving me her house. These events I’m recalling is just a synopsis since the whole story would be too long to tell...perhaps I shall save it for another time.
Some time later I finished packing, noticing with some sad relief that the whole of my possessions fit easily into one suitcase. I was about to retire to the couch when an imposing knock resonated throughout the room.
"C-come in?" I fearfully said.
The door swung open, revealing the majestic, white alicorn who was none other than Princess Celestia herself. I instantly bowed, shocked by her presence.
"Princess? May I help you with anything?" I asked.
"No no, I wanted to speak to you, is all. And stand up Dusky," she sighed. "There is no need to bow to me."
"Yes your grace," I mumbled, rising as instructed. "What do you need to talk about?"
"Come. Trot with me." She gestured for me to follow with her hoof, and we began a slow trot to the castle in silence. Canterlot was truly beautiful in the autumn. I was saddened by the realization that I may never see this beauty again. Upon arrival, the princess led me into a large room, with a table meant for banquets.
"Please, sit," she instructed. "Now, I just wanted to make sure you were okay, as this has been your home for a long time now and that leaving must be very difficult for you, is it not?"
I nodded weakly.
"Would you like to talk about it?" She spoke in a friendly voice, one which invited confidence without demanding it.
"I would, but I can't. I'll miss Canterlot, but I guess this is for the best." I wanted to talk to somepony, but telling the Princess that I was in love with her sister seemed like the wrong thing to do.
"Hmm...very well," she gave me a small glance that appeared to be anxiety, perhaps even worry. Whatever it was, it was questionable. "Anyway, I have arranged for a carriage to take you to Ponyville, leaving at 10 AM tomorrow. Is that OK with you?"
"Yes, of course princess."
"Are you sure you don't want to talk to me?" At that exact moment, something changed for me. Finally, there was someone who cared. As if I had an actual mother again. Everything began to build up. My eyes began to water. As if from nowhere a giant, white wing enveloped me. I let the tears run like waterfalls as I leant my head deep into the alicorn next to me. I told her everything that happened in my past. About how my mother refused to love me, about Moondancer, about becoming a rockstar, before my hopes and dreams were shattered, and about Luna. Fearful of Celestia’s judgment, I didn’t tell her it was her sister, rather leaving it as "a mare who I think it's best not to name". She probably thinks it's her. But all the while she just sat there, holding me tight. No judgment or unease. Just love and comfort.
I slowly pulled away from her embrace.
"...Thank you, princess." I said almost in a whisper.
"Why do you thank me?" She looked genuinely confused.
"For caring."

* * *

I pushed open the door to my house and walked into the living room, surprisingly feeling a lot better after crying my eyes out into Celestia's wing. I was about to go into my room, when my heart stopped. I froze, only now realizing there was an alicorn on my couch. But this wasn't Celestia. This was the princess. My Princess. And there she was, sitting on my couch. Well, lying on my couch.
"Salutations, Dusk*Shine!" She said, a small amount of her 'Royal Canterlot Voice' present in her voice. She quickly noticed her mistake. "Ha, er, hello, Dusk*Shine!" She said, much quieter.
For a moment I was speechless. Well, who wouldn't be? "Erm....h-hi princess." I bowed low. "How can I help you?"
"I know my sister has arranged for you to leave Canterlot tomorrow so I decided to give you my own goodbye." Being this close to her was almost too much for me to take. "I would like to let you know that if you should ever need anything, or wish to tell me anything, please let me know." With that final remark she stood, then making her way to and out the door, ending the most confusing and strange conversation I have ever had. My knees were shaking, my breathing quickening. This must have been obvious to her as she embraced me, gently saying "goodbye" into my ear. This was too much. I physically collapsed, and would have fallen if not for Luna's embrace. She giggled and drew me closer, allowing me to smell her mane. It smelt of...something. Something I have never smelt before that managed to invoke a feeling of love, calmness and nostalgia within me. I knew for a fact that this would be replayed over and over again in all my fantasies for a very long time. She broke the embrace, and planted a small kiss on each of my cheeks, before leaving to become one with the night. At that, I collapsed once more, this time falling into a calm sleep.

Author's Note:

Quick A/N: The story is now edited by the awesome Vanquished...go check him out!
http://www.fimfiction.net/user/VANQUISHED