• Published 6th Oct 2011
  • 8,567 Views, 11 Comments

The Principles of Magic - Starlight_Flight



Twilight lectures on magic but adventure happens, so her lessons are illustrated along the way.

  • ...
2
 11
 8,567

Doing the research

Diamond Tiara looked at Twilight. "Hauntings? Do I look like a ghost hunter?"

"Well, you were just talking about your Aunt Crystalla."

"Gasp! That's a family secret! How do you know about her?" Little Diamond tried to skewer Twilight with a suspecting gaze. The young mare gave her a quizzical look in return.

"You were... talking about her. Just now."

"I have no idea what you're talking about. Right, girls?" Diamond tried to hide her nervousness. Then Scootaloo jabbed her side with a hoof.

"C'mon, tell us! It's not like we don't know your aunt went crazy anyway."

"Your aunt went crazy?"

"She did not! She had a ghost haunting her! It wasn't her that threw that bag of amethysts at the mayor!"

Twilight was intent, trying to ignore both her hunger and the impending squabble. "So... did she ever get rid of the ghost?"

"Yeah, did she?" taunted Scootaloo.

"Yes, she did! She went to see a mystic who gave her a ritual to perform, and she performed it that night. The next day the ghost was gone."

"Do you know what sort of ritual she used?"

"Daddy never told us. He just said that ghost would never bother us again."

"Interesting. Thank you, Diamond, you've given me a lot to think about."

The filly looked proud, until Silver Spoon stage-whispered, "Yeah, telling family secrets to strangers is gonna get us sooo far!" That earned a dirty look which was quickly hidden.

"You know, Twilight, I've been doing some research on ghosts myself," said Spike. "I just didn't want to spoil my Nightmare Night surprise. But... one thing I read is that you can use a bell, a book and a candle to banish ghosts."

"You can? Diamond Tiara, is that something your aunt might have used in her ritual?"

"I... I think so! She always had this crystal bell on a ribbon around her neck after that, and said as long as she wore it, no trouble would ever bother her agAAAAAAHH!" Diamond lifted up into the air, and spun clockwise three times, then dropped to the ground. "Oof!"

Then Spike yelled out. "Hey! Now something's got my tail!" He grabbed hold and yanked it back. A nasty little giggle echoed from nearby.

Cheerilee sighed. "All right, children. Let's go inside and gather our things, quickly. Diamond Tiara, why don't you stay with Twilight Sparkle, and we'll see what we can do for you, all right? I really don't want this to get wild again." All but a few of the ponies ran for the schoolhouse. "I'm sorry, Twilight. I hope I can make this up to you; I'm sure you don't get to discuss the subject of magic as much as you've been used to, here in Ponyville."

A few minutes later, all the ponies poured back out, followed by Cheerilee, who walked over to Twilight, Spike and Diamond. The others mostly scattered toward their homes.

"Class is dismissed, I take it?"

"Yes. I really don't want a poltergeist ruining the lessons they're supposed to learn."

"Hey, Diamond," said Applebloom.

"We wanna hunt ghosts," said Scootaloo.

"And use magic rituals to end the hauntings," said Sweetie Belle. "So now we're..."

"CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS: GHOST HUNTERS!! YAAAY!!!"

Twilight, Cheerilee, and Spike all winced. Diamond Tiara covered her ears.

"Oh, yay," whispered the little jeweler, with an unhappy look.

Comments ( 1 )
#1 · Oct 16th, 2011 · · ·

Her new tiara is MADE OF PONIES!!!! :raritydespair: POOOO-NIEEEESS!!!

Login or register to comment