• Published 6th Aug 2013
  • 3,852 Views, 119 Comments

RariJack - The Compilation of Prompts - Titanium Dragon



A collection of short stories centered on Applejack and Rarity. Each story is based on a one-word prompt, and after the story is written, the writer leaves another one-word prompt for the next writer to use.

  • ...
22
 119
 3,852

PreviousChapters Next
14. Greed - by bahatumay

Greed.


It was a dark, cold night when Applejack trotted back into town. She arrived back at the boutique a bit later than usual, but that was to be expected this time of year, right?

The door was locked. That was a bit of a surprise, but Applejack had long since been given a key. She trotted upstairs, took a quick shower, and jumped into bed. She wrapped her forelegs around Rarity, but the second surprise of the night occurred--Rarity scooted away.

Applejack sat up. "Rarity?" she asked.

"Where were you?" Rarity demanded coldly.

"Workin'. No need to get greedy."

"Greedy?" Rarity sat up, and Applejack was taken aback to see that she had been crying. "Greedy? Do you know what today was?" she demanded.

Applejack bit her lower lip. "Uh... Second to last day of harvest?"

"Our anniversary!"

Applejack's jaw dropped. She sprinted out of Rarity's room and over to the calendar on the wall. Her jaw dropped.

"Ah..." Her face fell and her eyes flicked from side to side as she quickly tried to think of something, anything to fix this, but she had nothing. Absolutely nothing.

She still stared stunned at the calendar when she heard Rarity come in. "You'd... you'd forgotten," Rarity said.

Applejack looked back with a look of horror. She suddenly noticed the glasses on the table and plates of food... rather, plate, singular. Hers. Still untouched.

"Ah'm so sorry," she whispered. "Harvest, and..." She bowed her head. "That ain't no excuse. Ah'm sorry, Rarity." She turned, face down and unable to meet Rarity's eyes, and walked towards the door.

"Applejack?"

Applejack paused, unable to raise her eyes.

"I knew what I was getting into when we started this. And perhaps 'greed' would only describe me if I wanted you to conform to exactly what I wanted."

Applejack could hear the tiny, tearful smile in her voice.

"By my clock," she continued, "there are still two and a half hours left in our night, if you'd like to stay?"

Applejack looked back with a tiny tear in her own eye. "Ah'd like that," she said softly. "Ah'd like that a lot."


Next prompt: Glass

PreviousChapters Next