• Published 6th Aug 2013
  • 3,830 Views, 119 Comments

RariJack - The Compilation of Prompts - Titanium Dragon



A collection of short stories centered on Applejack and Rarity. Each story is based on a one-word prompt, and after the story is written, the writer leaves another one-word prompt for the next writer to use.

  • ...
22
 119
 3,830

PreviousChapters Next
41. Hot Chocolate - by Twilight-The-Pony

Hot Chocolate.


Winter. Cold. Ponyville was covered with a thick cover of snow, so there was no real work for the orange filly. Morning chores have already been completed, the beds have been made and the animals cleaned and fed. You could barely see anything in the fields that wasn't white.

Applejack was bored. For a hard-working pony, that was ultimate bane. The only thing that she could do is study, and today was her least favorite subject: math.

She looked at the book in front of her for no more than a few seconds before deciding to change her priorities. Her thoughts were now lost in the white coat that engulfed the entire Ponyville, in the games of dozens of fillies and colts that were playing in snow and making snowponies.

She just looked away from the window for no more than a few seconds, but long enough that she missed a snow-white pony approaching the farmhouse. Ever since Applejack’s parents died, Rarity spent much more time with her schoolfriend, offering a helping hoof, even though Applejack consistently refused to accept, which sometimes ended up with Rarity’s frustration. But still; Rarity understood. Even with the occasional quarrel between her and her parents, she didn’t know what would she do without them.

The sound of the gong snapped Applejack from her reverie. She perked her ears and turn her head towards the door of her room, trying to catch the chatter below. Instead of chatter, Applejack heard a set of hooves approaching her room.

Soft knocks on the wooden door echoed around the small room, making Applejack turn back to the boring books.

“It’s really cold outside!” Rarity shuddered, sinking her head even lower into her now wet scarf.

Applejack didn't hesitate. She grabbed a warm and fuzzy blanket from her bed, and in swift motion wrapped it around shivering Rarity, quickly followed by a still-steaming mug of hot chocolate. “What in tarnation happened to ya?”

“One of the weather ponies accidentally dropped snow on me when I was coming here," Rarity said in a trembling voice.

Applejack snickered. “Ah think that they do that intentionally. Ah forgot how many times they did it to me.”

“So uncouth,” Rarity breathed and sipped the tasty beverage.

Applejack nodded. “Fortunately, this only happens in the winter. Ya feeling any better?”

“Thank you very much,” Rarity breathed and pecked Applejack on the cheek, making her blush wildly. “Now; have you studied?”

“M- maybe?” Applejack replied with a stutter.

“...”

“Ah was... really busy.”

“Applejack?” Rarity replied in a deadpan voice.

“Hm?”

“You really aren’t a good liar.”

“Sorry.”

An empty cup floated in the air, fueled by Rarity’s magic. “Do you have any more of this? Because this is going to be a long night.”

Applejack nodded wildly. “Best chocolate in Ponyville! Brought here by—”

Rarity groaned. “Very long night.”

~*~*~

“And that’s how ya came around,” Applejack said cheerfully.

Silver Streak looked at her still-full mug in disbelief, tilting her head towards her mother. “I came from chocolate?” she cringed.

“Well, yes. Ah mean no. Ah mean...” Now sweating and blushing Applejack looked around the kitchen for a better representation of what she wanted to convey. “Look. It’s like—”

Rarity cleared her throat, startling both ponies in the process. But that was her intent, anyway. “Silver Streak,” she spoke softly. “Hurry up or you’ll miss your school.”

“But mom...”

“We’ll talk after school, okay?” Rarity mused. “You don’t want to keep Star Thunder waiting, do you?”

“Oh, right.” Silver Streak’s saddlebags started to bask in the glow of her magic and lifting off the ground as she started her trot toward the door of the Boutique. “Bye, moms!”

Rarity couldn’t help but snicker at the confused filly. “She reminds me of her mom.”

Applejack looked to the ground. “She asked me where foals come from. So Ah just... um...”

“...told her that they come from hot chocolate...”

“Well... It’s true.”

“Partially. You stopped at what comes afterwards.”

Applejack nodded. “Ah still have some of it. Want it?”


Next prompt: Autumn.

PreviousChapters Next