• Published 6th Aug 2013
  • 3,835 Views, 119 Comments

RariJack - The Compilation of Prompts - Titanium Dragon



A collection of short stories centered on Applejack and Rarity. Each story is based on a one-word prompt, and after the story is written, the writer leaves another one-word prompt for the next writer to use.

  • ...
22
 119
 3,835

PreviousChapters Next
63. Memories - by Thak

Memories


The Canterlot Royal Theater opened its doors to the cold winter night; a multitude of ponies poured out, each clad in their best outfits. The winter chill bit harshly into mare and stallion alike, and here and there parents wrapped their young ones in tightly knit scarves.

Rarity pulled up the hood of her velvet cloak to ward against the biting chill. The deep blue of the fabric matched her eyes perfectly, and she reveled in the feeling of the soft, faux-fur lining brushing against her coat. She looked over at her partner for the evening, who as usual wore nothing but her trademark hat.

Rarity smiled at the orange earth pony beside her. She had been surprised when Applejack had suggested a romantic evening in Canterlot. Dinner had been at the luxurious Rose Hotel, and they had just finished watching the new play about stray animals living on the streets of Manehattan. That had been an odd choice for Applejack, but Rarity had absolutely loved it.

The pair exited the theater quietly, which was not unusual; Applejack was a mare of few words, and Rarity was happy to walk by her side, enjoying their date.

Rarity couldn’t help but giggle at the thought. Of all the ponies she had dreamt about, the fact that Applejack had been the one to win her heart still surprised her after all these years. It had nearly ended in disaster before their relationship could even begin; she had no idea she harbored these feelings for her friend until Applejack had come out and professed her love nearly two years earlier.

She cringed at the memory of her reaction. She had done just about everything wrong; she had been so shocked she had stood there, speechless. She made no reaction as Applejack poured her heart out. She only stared in silence as Applejack waited for a response. Any response.

And then she ran. Galloped all the way back to the Boutique, trying desperately to outrace her mind. Her mind, who, for some strange reason, decided to relive every moment the two had shared together; the sleepover, the Crystal Empire, and even the incident with the pie tin. All of it, over and over again the entire trip back to the Boutique.

Rarity shook her head to clear the memories. They had moved on from then; Applejack had given her plenty of space while she figured out her feelings, and the magnanimous Applejack had even given her a second chance to make things right.

Rarity nuzzled her girlfriend as they walked through downtown Canterlot towards the train station. The cobblestones gleamed in the lightly falling snow, the lamplight bathing the pair in its soft, warm glow.

Rarity closed her eyes and leaned on Applejack as they walked, basking in the heat emanating from the earth pony.

It wasn’t until her boots crunched in the snow that Rarity realized they had left the well-worn streets of Canterlot. With a start she opened her eyes and looked at Applejack, still striding somberly away from downtown. Away from the train home.

“Applejack?” she asked softly. “Is everything alright darling?”

“Right as rain, Sugarcube. We got time to kill before the train and I figured waitin’ out here’s better than crowded on the platform. ‘Sides, I got somethin’ I been meanin’ to ask you.”

“And where is here? I do not recognize the place.”

Applejack looked around. It was hard to identify this particular spot. After all, the first time they came here it was spring. The flowers were in full bloom, and birds chirped in the trees. Fillies and colts played with their parents, and other couples were enjoying picnics in much the same way Applejack planned for her and Rarity.

She had surprised the unicorn at the hotel early in the evening. Applejack finished her chores early, and gathered up what picnic supplies she could at a moment’s notice. She rushed off to the train, and just barely caught the Friendship Express in time. Thankfully Rarity was at the hotel, rather than out with Fancy Pants or some new client.

They laid the picnic out under one of the many trees, and enjoyed a nice evening of quiet in the park. They talked about work, and friends. They laughed at the incredibly cute filly rushing up to everyone to say hello. Time flew by as they enjoyed each others company.

“Applejack? Come in, Applejack! Hello!”

Applejack blinked away the memory. Remembering where they were and why they were here brought a blush to her cheeks.

“Are you alright? You have been unusually quiet and aloof tonight. Is there something wrong? You know you can tell me if something is bothering you, my dear.”

“I’m fine,” said Applejack. “Just been thinkin’. You know that song from the play tonight? The one where the old cat’s singing by herself about the past or something?”

“Memories, dear. She was reminiscing about how she used to be in the old days. She had love before, and she is struggling to go on without that love. Really rather tragic. She looks forward to new days so she can try to experience the same feelings she had again. I thought it was beautifully written.”

“I thought so too. I kinda felt bad for her. I don’t know if I could go on livin’ without love.”

“Neither could I. I can’t even imagine what it would be like.”

“Well, then don’t.”

Applejack stopped and turned towards the beautiful mare next to her. She grasped Rarity’s left hoof in both of hers, and sat down on her haunches. She shook slightly from either the cold or the nervousness; she couldn't tell.

“Rarity, these past few years have been the best of my life. I couldn't ask for a better pony by my side, or a more beautiful one. We’ve been through a lot since we started datin’, and even more before that. You've always been right there with me. Of all our friends, you’ve been the one to make me better myself.”

Applejack pointed to a tree standing in the middle of the park. Rarity glanced over and was shocked to see their friends standing there. Rainbow Dash held aloft a small lantern, the only illumination in the darkness under the tree. She wore a smug expression on her face, as if she knew something Rarity didn't.

Pinkie Pie was trembling with excitement, and she grinned from ear to ear; probably one of the largest smiles Rarity had ever seen on her. Twilight looked as if she were studying a book, or some unknown tribal dance performed by Griffons in full war paint. Fluttershy was crying, although they did not appear to be shed out of anguish or sorrow. If Rarity had to guess, she would have said they were happy tears.

Applejack cleared her throat, bringing Rarity’s attention back to her.

“Rares, I know it’s kinda hard to see now, but this is the very same spot we came to when I first visited you in Canterlot while you were workin’. We had a picnic under that very tree, remember?”

Rarity nodded. “Our first kiss,” she said softly.

Applejack smiled. “The very same. That memory is one I will always treasure, as it made me feel like I was whole. Like I wouldn't be complete any other way.”

Applejack reached under her hat and pulled out a long, thin rectangular box. She opened it, and presented it to Rarity.

The white unicorn gasped as she saw the necklace. A large heart-shaped emerald sat in the center of the box, attached to a very old looking chain. She brought her hooves to her mouth as she realized what was happening; her friends, the romantic evening, this particular spot. Tears flowed down her cheeks as the farmer spoke.

“Rarity. Every day we make new memories together; each one gets better than the last. I couldn't do it without you by my side. And I can’t even imagine what it would be like without you.

“I want to keep makin’ memories together. Good, bad, doesn't matter. As long as it’s you there by my side, I can live with all of ‘em.

“So, Miss Rarity, will you make me the happiest pony in all of Equestria? Will you marry me?


Next prompt: Example

PreviousChapters Next