• Published 6th Aug 2013
  • 3,828 Views, 119 Comments

RariJack - The Compilation of Prompts - Titanium Dragon



A collection of short stories centered on Applejack and Rarity. Each story is based on a one-word prompt, and after the story is written, the writer leaves another one-word prompt for the next writer to use.

  • ...
22
 119
 3,828

PreviousChapters Next
58. Puppies - by Thak

Puppies


“Are you sure we can’t keep them, Darling? I feel just awful separating a mother from her children.”

Applejack sighed as she placed the last puppy into the small pen. The sun shone brightly on Sweet Apple Acres, and the gentle breeze caused the grass to sway hypnotically.

Winona lay in the middle of the small enclosure; most of the puppies frolicked around her, their fluffy coats bouncing with each joyful romp. Two energetic youngsters vocalized their enthusiasm for this play time outside, their noise mingling with the ruckus found on every farm. The smallest of the litter lay peacefully next his mother, his brown coat blending seamlessly into hers. He paid no attention to his exuberant brothers and sisters.

“I told ya, Rares. That’s jus’ how things work. It’s how things were with Winona, and it’s how it’ll be for her pups. These little critters’ll help other farmers, and their pups will help even more. ‘Sides, ain’t no way we could afford to keep all of ‘em.”

“My, whatever do you mean? We’ve nearly paid off the wedding. Although, I never thought it would take us five years to do so. Still, my fashion business is taking off nicely, and you are selling more apples than ever before. Surely you’re not expecting us to fail now? I know you like preparing for a rainy day, Darling, but surely times are not that dire.”

“No, I reckon business’ll continue to grow and get bigger. I’m just sayin’ we can’t handle six puppies and the new addition to our family.”

Rarity eyed her wife suspiciously. “What do you mean, new addition? Is this about Sweetie Belle? I told her she can't live with us. You know she’s just going through a phase right now. Every filly has her rebellious side she must express, and this is just Sweetie’s time. She’s not really serious about running away from Mom and Dad’s. You know they’re not horrible parents.”

Applejack smiled at her clueless wife. “No, Sugarcube, I was thinkin’ somethin’ a bit closer to my side of the family.”

Rarity tapped a hoof to her chin thoughtfully. “Big Mac? I thought he and Fluttershy were starting a place of their own. What did they call it? A commune?”

Applejack chuckled. “Nah not him. S’far as I know they’re still plannin’ on doin’ that. I was thinkin’ a new addition to this farm.” She eyed Rarity meaningfully, wagging her eyebrows at the unicorn in front of her.

“Applejack, you know I hate these guessing games. A new farm pony? Another cow? What?” Rarity fumed at the laughing earth pony. Her eyes narrowed sharply, and her horn started to glow. Behind Applejack, a small pile of mud rose from the ground.

Seeing the concentration in her wife’s face, and sensing more than seeing the inevitable surprise she was about to receive, Applejack leaned in and kissed her wife. Rarity dropped the mud in surprise, but quickly resumed her angry glare.

“A new addition to this family, Rares. I’m pregnant.”


Next prompt: Collaboration

PreviousChapters Next