• Published 6th Aug 2013
  • 3,835 Views, 119 Comments

RariJack - The Compilation of Prompts - Titanium Dragon



A collection of short stories centered on Applejack and Rarity. Each story is based on a one-word prompt, and after the story is written, the writer leaves another one-word prompt for the next writer to use.

  • ...
22
 119
 3,835

PreviousChapters Next
67. Diamond - by Palaikai

Diamond


Applejack and Rarity ran, trying vainly to outpace the torrential downpour sweeping across the landscape. A bolt of lightning sizzled through the darkening sky, causing them to jump in alarm.

“There's no way we can get back to Ponyville in this weather,” Rarity said, having to shout over the rising gale that was threatening to knock her off her hooves.

“I'm inclined to agree,” replied Applejack, wincing slightly as the intense gust tried to loose her hat from her head. “Over there,” she said, spying a narrow slot in the rocks. “Should be big enough for us to hunker down if we squeeze.”

The thought of being stuck in a tight situation with Applejack after the disastrous slumber party at Twilight's library filled Rarity with dread, but equally, so did the thought of becoming a barbecued unicorn should one of those lightning bolts decide to go astray. “Lead the way.”

Inside the cave – though that description was giving it too much credit as it was barely more than a wide crack in the side of a mountain – was dry but not particularly warm. Neither of them were inclined to quibble, however, simply grateful to be out of the storm.

Rarity took her purple mane between the hooves of her forelegs and began wrenching the water out of it.

Applejack had to stifle laughter at the frizzy monstrosity it had become. “It's just not gonna be the same without curlers, is it?”

As if to prove her friend wrong, using nothing more than her own dexterity, the unicorn deftly knotted her hair into a close approximation of its usual curly style. “Nothing to it,” Rarity said proudly.

For a moment, there was nothing but the sound of rain echoing off the walls; a crack of lightning lit up the area around the entrance, allowing the pair a moment's view of the surrounding countryside. The storm was gaining in intensity. “We're gonna be stuck in here all night, sugarcube,” Applejack said apologetically.

“Oh, it's my fault,” Rarity said with a sigh, trying to get comfortable on the rough ground. “I shouldn't have dragged you all the way out here just for some stupid gems we probably could've found closer to home.”

“The horn wants what it wants.” Rarity had a keen sense for precious jewels, and her magic was able to direct her to wherever they lay in the ground. If it was a powerful enough drive to drag her this far from Ponyville, they must've been something spectacular. Maybe diamonds?

“Well,” said Rarity, sounding abashed, “I thought I had got better at controlling these impulses over the years, but I guess I can still be surprised by my desires … sometimes. Darling, what's wrong?”

“Nothin',” Applejack said, a frown creasing her muzzle. “Why d'you ask?”

“You're shivering. You haven't stopped since we got in here.”

“It's cold,” the earth pony stated flatly.

Rarity got up off the floor and approached her friend. She tsked at her as she appraised Applejack's condition. “You're soaking wet, dear. If we're going to be here all night, the last thing we need is you catching a cold.” Before Applejack could say anything, Rarity had torn her Stetson from her head revealing a clump of matted blonde. “Ah, that explains that.”

“What?”

“I was wondering how it could've been so much worse for you when we were out there the same amount of time, but the water has gotten trapped under that filthy mop you call a mane. When was the last time you washed it?”

“I dunno,” Applejack said, not able to stop her cheeks from reddening. “Working on the farm, I don't see the point in showering regularly. Only time I really make an effort is if I'm meeting up with the girls.”

“This simply will not do,” huffed the unicorn as she worked to loosen the coiled strands and dredge the water from them. It took longer than she'd expected, and there was a fair amount of frustration and yelling involved from the recalcitrant earth pony, but eventually Rarity got the majority of the knots undone and was able to dry Applejack's hair. “Better?”

“Yes.”

“Good. Now turn around.”

What?”

“Tail, too. It's in just as bad a condition as your mane,” Rarity explained.

“I'm fine, really,” said Applejack, a little louder than was necessary.

After much argument, Applejack finally relented and allowed Rarity to dry her tail; feeling the unicorn's surprisingly soft and delicate hooves at work sent a tingly sensation through her body, and it was difficult to stay standing still while she tugged, fussed and fashioned. “You, uh, almost done back there?”

“Just about,” said Rarity. “May I suggest that, when we get back to Ponyville, you consent to a spa visit? This really needs the care of experts.”

“I thought you were an expert,” replied Applejack through gritted teeth.

Rarity deigned not to respond to that, knowing that her friend was reacting simply out of annoyance. “There, done. Now we can sleep.”

“Great.”

The pair lay down and within moments, the cave was filled with the sounds of snoring. Specifically, the snores of a certain earth pony who probably could've slept on the lip of an active volcano if she was tired enough. Rarity tossed and turned; finding a comfortable sleeping position was all but impossible, and to make matters worse, the chainsaw buzz of her friend was scything through her sensitive ears. She turned once more and found herself staring directly into Applejack's face.

Celestia, if she had any idea how ridiculous she looks. She could probably fit all four hooves in that chasm she calls a mouth at once, Rarity thought irritably. And those teeth! And that tongue! I can understand not showering if you work on a farm, but neglecting basic oral hygiene is just too much!

“Uh, Rarity,” said Applejack, confused in her still half-asleep state, “what the hay are you doing?”

“What do you mean?”

“You keep brushing up against me.”

“Oh, I'm just … cold, darling. Sorry.”

“I don't mind,” Applejack said, “I just didn't think you'd want to snuggle up with a dirty pillow like me.”

“I suppose,” Rarity replied, dragging out the suppose for maximum drama, “needs must when the situation calls for it.” She let out a yelp as she felt powerful forelegs snake around her body, pulling her in close. Applejack's soft tail went underneath her, acting as a mattress.

“Better?” asked the earth pony.

“M-Much, thank you, Applejack,” said the unicorn, blushing.

The warmth of the earth pony overrode any of Rarity's complaints about her smell and she settled into the embrace, a soft sigh escaping her muzzle. This close, she felt Applejack's heart beating against her own. For so many years, she had fantasised of a moment like this, only … Applejack would not have been her first choice.

Looking up and down at Applejack's strong, robust body, her unruly mane, and careworn, mischievous face, Rarity came to a conclusion: I'm going to have to revise some of my fantasies.


Next prompt: Endearing

PreviousChapters Next