• Published 20th Feb 2012
  • 695 Views, 3 Comments

CSF: Beginnings - XeRom



Celestia, gathering together the surviving alicorns, creates a special forces unit.

  • ...
 3
 695

Graduation

I sat curled up around Shadow, watching her breathing, making sure she was still alive. We did it... We really did it. I continued to keep watch over #2's body and Shadow, keeping a constant vigilance over the entrance to the cavern. No one was going to catch us off guard again. I sat there for another four hours until Shadow finally came to.

As soon as she opened her eyes, she looked up to see me there and smiled. But looking over she saw #2 there and horror overtook her features. She dashed up and over to him, kneeling on her front legs by him.

"He's dead... Aces, what happened? After we fell into the sewer a rock hit me on the head and I blacked out. I... I can't remember a thing passed then! What happened Aces?" she looked at me, tearful and panicked.

"I wasn't there, all I saw was you two fall into the hole followed by the Diamond Dogs. I got here as quick as I could and from what you said, it seems like he carried you here and tried to defend you against the Diamond Dogs." I said looking over to her shotgun laid next to a dead Diamond Dog. I moved over and took it from where it was, giving back to her. "I think he used this to fend them off for a while until they overpowered him."

"Thank you," she whispered to him. Teary eyed she took back the shotgun, slinging it across her back with extra care. "Let's get his body out of here, he deserves a proper funeral back in Canterlot." I nodded and together we put him across our backs and started our way out of the sewer. Both of us were quite the entire way up, there was nothing to be said and out of respect for him we kept our peace.

We walked out of the sewer to find the camp deserted. It seemed like the Diamond Dogs up and left, probably thinking that there were more of us. We walked back to our camp and started making preparations to leave. Once everything was packed, it was dark out and we decided to spend the night on the roof. We wrapped his body up in the blankets we brought with us, securing them so nothing would happen to the body as the night drew on.

"I almost forgot," I said breaking the silence, "He left us these two medallions, he told me that we passed." This perked her up and she grabbed one from my hoof. She hugged it to her chest.

"We did it Aces, we actually did it." she sighed, resting against me, "No matter what happens, we'll be together." She smiled looking up into the night sky.

I looked up with her, "Yeah we did, and nothing can stop us now."

The following morning, we flew down quickly to the farmers village, meeting with the mayor of the town. We told him about our encounter with the Diamond Dogs and the result of our attempts at peace. "The Diamond Dogs have abandoned the city for the surrounding countryside, for now we can't do anything about it, but as soon as we return to Canterlot we will inform the Princess further and you can expect help soon."

He agreed to this, and we soon departed from the are, flying quickly back to the city to get #2's body. Once we retrieved him, we flew off to Canterlot. Occupied with what we were carrying, we were silent the whole time. Once we arrived in Canterlot, we were met with a welcoming party, who upon seeing the load we were carrying, rushed towards our landing area. Among those there were the Princess, and several of her guards.

She spoke as soon as we landed, knowing what had happened, "This is indeed a grave day as one of our own has passed away in the line of duty," turning towards us she said, "For both of yours bravery in the line of duty, I promote you both to full fledged members of the CSF."

With that, she turned towards the castle, the other guards bearing the litter of their fallen comrade upon their backs. Shadow and I followed close behind them, silent as the other Guards mourned for their comrade. They brought him back inside the castle through the side entrance to the throne room. Once inside, they set about collecting rocks and and wood. They set the collection up as a funeral pyre, the rocks protecting the floor from the scorch marks the fire would make.

Gravely, Shadow and I picked up his body and carried it through a line of Guards up to the pyre. Gently laying his body atop the pyre, we stepped back as Princess Celestia approached the front of the procession.

"All who are present are here to remember the life lived by this stallion. He was steadfast in his resolve in the line of duty, and did his job protecting myself and the land of Equestria during his life. He deserves the utmost respect from all of us and I wish him safe passage into whatever world is beyond our own." she said solemnly, placing her horn at the base of the wood, she set it ablaze. Everyone there, even the Guards, were teary eyed at the loss, and many tears were had for that with which we had lost.

Shadow and I retreated to one of the Royal Guest Rooms in the palace. There we spent the rest of the day mourning and preparing for the ceremonies that would take place later that day. The other members of the CSF had returned earlier than us and all have passed their tests. As it turns out, Ice and Frost's test was to make us all believe that we would be sent back here if we failed. All of us were fooled by them.

A custom fitted dress and tuxedo were sent up to us prior to leaving for the ceremony. Shadow went into the bathroom to change while I change into my tux in the bedroom. After about twenty minutes she came out and I couldn't believe my eyes. She was wearing sleek black dress with red accents around the trim that only complemented her mane. Across her neck were several rubies sewn into into the hem of her collar which shown brilliantly in the light. I almost couldn't believe my eyes... She looked more beautiful than ever.

"Shadow! You look fantastic!" I exclaimed as she walked up to me.

Blushing she looked away, "Thanks Aces, you look pretty good yourself."

I smiled wide at her, "Not nearly as good as you! You look more beautiful than you normally do!" She blushed a deeper shade of red.

"Thanks Aces," she looked up and kissed me quickly. "Now come on, the others are waiting for us down in the Complex and there's no need to keep them waiting." I nodded at her smiling, as we made our way down through the castle to that old oak tree in the gardens. "Can you believe it? This will probably be the last time we go through this tree, our entire lives are down there." she said, looking at me.

"Yeah I can. Our entire lives have been for this moment, and our futures will be spent out of this tree, protecting the ponies of Equestria."

With that, we both descended down the flight of stairs into the complex. When we got to the bottom, the others were already there, lined up behind each other in their pairs. As soon as took our place in line, the procession started. We walked down the a double line of all the Guards who have been there since we were young colts and fillies, proud smiles on their faces as they looked upon us, all of their effort coming to fruition.

We all spread out a line abreast to each other, much like our first day of here in front of Princess Celestia. She smiled at all of us there, walking from that high backed chair of hers to each one of us, laying her horn upon our own, whispering last words and giving assignments to each of us. At last she reached me and Shadow, laying her horn on each of ours, she said "You two are the finest examples of a mare and a colt that I have ever seen. Both of you have shown your bravery in the most dire of circumstances. For that, I will place you two as close to here as possible, in Ponyville." She moved off then, to sit back in her throne and watch over the revelations.

I turned towards Shadow, and looked into her eyes, "We did it," I grinned at her.

"Yeah we did," she said returning my grin. Then I kissed her, for what felt like the longest time ever.

Comments ( 2 )

Awsome cant wait for more:pinkiecrazy:oh and first

More like second. :ajsmug: The second book is up, but is still a work and progress so if you haven't gotten a chance to read it yet, have at it! :rainbowdetermined2:

Login or register to comment