• Published 28th Jul 2013
  • 572 Views, 9 Comments

Silent Song - Flora Spectrum



A pony as quiet and shy as Fluttershy moves to Ponyville. She lives here for three months unnoticed until she meets a pony named Silver Gear.

  • ...
0
 9
 572

Happiness

Silver Gear dashed towards his best friend’s house very proud of himself. He had become a messenger for Silent Song, or rather the mysterious Flora Spectrum, for the publishing company, the art critiques and the recording agency. He had received good news from all three this afternoon and couldn’t wait to share the news. He burst through the door to Song’s house and looked around frantically.

“Song? Where you at? Come out I got great news!” He yelled looking around for the owner of the house. A head slowly popped up from behind the couch.

“Silver?” a quiet voice called. “Sweet Celestia Silver why would you scare me like that? You better not have broken my door!”

He looked back at the door before shrugging, “Eh, I’ll fix it.”

“So, what was so important that you had to break my door?” she asked him quizzically.

“Oh, right! Your book is being published, the recording label loved what you sang for them and the art critiques liked your work and want to see more!”

“Oh… wow,” she slowly walked over and sat on the couch, “I guess that is good news.”

“We should celebrate!” Silver Gear declared.

“We should?”

“Yeah! I’m going to take you on a date!”

“You are?” She asked looking at him with her one visible eye showing pure shock causing to realize what he just said.

‘Oh no, what did I just do?’ he thought to himself. ‘Oh come on Silver, you know you’ve wanted to ask her out for a while now, so don’t chicken out when you finally have the chance!’

“Yeah, if you would like to go that is.”

“I…” she took a deep breath as a deep blushed formed on her cheeks. “I would love to.”

“Great! I’m going to get my tools to fix that door, then I’ll meet you back here at six.”

“Okay, I just have to go do a few things in town,” she said averting his gaze and walking out the door that was partially broken off it’s hinges.

“Okay, see you tonight!” he called running back towards his home. Song sighed and began walking into town.

She felt bad for lying to him as she had nothing to do in town, but she couldn’t be around him right now as she was too embarrassed. A pony had asked her on a date, she had never been on a date before.

“Do I need to pick out something to wear? Ponies don’t normally wear clothes though. Maybe I should do something different with my mane?” she stopped to look at her reflection in one of the store windows. “No, I look better this way, remember?”

}i{

Silent Song walked down the street laughing with her best friend. It was the summer before Song would attend Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns and Crimson Rose would move back to Cloudesdale.

Crimson Rose was the only filly close to her age to ever notice her and the two instantly became good friends. She was a cream colored Pegasus with deep green eyes. Her mane that fell straight but curled at the ends that was a deep red that matched the rose that was her cutiemark. Song had gotten her cutiemark a year after her, but she was never jealous of her best friend.

“Hey Song,” her best friend said with a smile.

“Yeah Rose?” she asked returning the smile.

“I saw a really cute mane style the other day, can I style your mane the same way?

“Sure!”

“Come on! Let’s go back to your house, it’s the closest!” The two fillies ran towards Song’s house completely oblivious to the looks they received from the high society ponies they almost ran into.

As they ran up the stairs into her bedroom, Song wasn’t surprised to find the house empty. Her parents were at work still and no doubt her brother was out hanging with his friends.

Song sat on the rug in the middle of her room while Rose grabbed the hairbrush on her vanity. “Now, just sit still. This should only take a minute or two.”
Silent Song smiled. Crimson Rose always came up with new idea for manestyles and fashion; it was a wonder she didn’t get her cutiemark for it. Now that Song thought about, she really didn’t understand what Rose’s cutiemark stood for.

“Okay, done!”

Song got up and walked over to her mirror. Her mane now fell covering one side of her face and framing the other. “Won’t I walk into things?” she asked her best friend.

“Not since you can still see out of her other eye. Besides, you look better this way.”

“I do?”

“Yeah, by only showing part of your face it gives off the impression that you’re a lot prettier than you actually are.”

“Oh… okay.”

“Face it Song, we can’t all be beautiful,” Rose said giving her mane a quick toss. “Well, mom is going to be home soon, see you later!”

Silent Song didn’t say anything as she left, but only continued to look at her reflection. Maybe Rose was right; maybe she did look better this way.

As tears began to cloud her eyes, Song sat at her piano and began playing a sad melody. Like all of her songs, it was from the heart.

}i{

Song glared at her reflection and walked into the business that she had been standing outside of. It had been years since she had last seen Crimson Rose and she could care less what she thought. After all, she was only one pony.

“Hello! Welcome to the Carousel Boutique!”

“Rarity, I was hoping you could help me.”

}i{

Silver Gear looked to the mare at his side and smiled as they strolled through the park. Dinner had went well, but Silver couldn’t get over what Song had done with her mane. It now fell equally on both sides and framed the side of her face.

“You know you really are beautiful.”

“Silver, stop it,” Song said blushing violently as she paused in front of the pond. “That’s the seventh time tonight.”

“Sorry, I can’t help it,” he said with a grin. They sat next to each other in silence as they looked out on the pond. Luna’s stars shined brightly in the sky causing the pond water to shimmer. Slowly, Silver moved his hoof over and rested it lightly on Song’s.

He noticed she didn’t object, and the blush on her cheeks was evident. “You know,” he said after several minutes of silence, “you have a book being published, several pieces of art being put in a show, and music career waiting, but nopony will ever know it’s really you.”

Silent Song continued to gaze out at the pond as she thought. “One day, I’ll be brave enough to stand up and say, ‘I am Flora Spectrum,’ but for now,” she said turning to meet his eyes, “I’m happy.”

Author's Note:

The last chapter! Yes I know this is incredibly short, but like I said in the beginning, this will lead into another story if not several... Well, feel free to tell me what you think!

Comments ( 6 )

A good, sweet read. I enjoyed it.

@Random_User Thank you very much! I'm glad you liked it! :pinkiehappy:

@Templar22 Thank you for the fav and the like! I know there are only four chapters, but I hope you will enjoy the rest of the story nevertheless! :raritywink:

Your self promotion brought me here.... But this story made me stay...

Good work old chap! But your avatar hurts my eyes...

Hahaha thanks Guardian Angel, I'm glad you liked it! Sorry that my avatar hurts your eyes, but I have a good reason for having it! My avatar is a pic of what is Flora Spectrum's cutie mark. I don't know exactly when I'll get her story written, but it is in the works nevertheless! :twilightsheepish:

This is your 1st story? This is amazing for a 1st time story! I couldn't find any big mistakes that made the story unreadable so I give it a 10/10.

Keep up the good work!

3019385 Thank you so much I'm glad you liked it! Thank you for the 10/10 :yay: and I will try my best to keep up the good work as I am now writing my next fic which will lead into six more stories:pinkiehappy: oh gosh what have I gotten myself into :rainbowderp:

Login or register to comment