• Published 18th Feb 2012
  • 1,916 Views, 15 Comments

Dimensional Shift - SilverFlame



Human in equestria. If it's not your thing, noone is forcing you to read.

  • ...
2
 15
 1,916

Morning routine

Forgive me for taking so very long to post this. It's been rough, but things are looking up.

I awoke early the next morning as a ray of sunlight nimbly dodged through the curtains and landed right upon my eyes. I tried swatting it away groggily, but alas, it evaded my every attempt. I opened my eyes slightly before immediately closing them again in pain. With a groan I sat up, looking around through squinted eyes.

The room around me was strange, and I was sleeping on a couch. My mind processed this for a moment before my mind clicked into gear and I remembered where I was. I was instantly awake, looking around the room much more closely now. It seemed my blanket had fallen to the floor during the night, though I wasn’t cold, so that didn’t matter, and my bag was right where I left it.

Grabbing it I sat it on the floor in front of me, doing a quick check of my supplies. A few changes of clothes, a pair of knives, one a small pocket knife and the other with a belt loop sheathe, a plastic glass, my MP3 player, my flashlight, and the shared batteries for them, and of course, that silly sword. Now it seemed even more silly. On Earth it might have scared off some wolves or other predators, but here, it wouldn’t even bother anything that came after me most likely.

I sighed, putting the things back, stuffing my hat inside it as well. At least I brought spare clothes, so I wouldn’t have to run around naked while getting them washed. Who knows, maybe I could even sacrifice a set to Rarity so she could design replacements, if it came to that.

My thoughts were interrupted though as my body made some complaints known, namely, that it wanted to use the restroom. I sat there for a moment, processing that before realizing I had no clue where the bathroom was, or how different it would be. I was saved from having a panic attack by the sound of hooves on wood.

My head turned and I saw Twilight walking down the stairs, and bless her heart, she was at least trying to be quiet so as not to wake me, but when she looked over and saw me awake and alert she came down the rest at a more normal pace. Spike followed her down, still looking groggy and a bit queasy. I tilted my head at him curiously before my silent question was answered by a belch of flame that formed into a scroll.

Twilight smiled before catching it and reading over it, speaking out loud out of habit. Once she finished she seemed a bit giddy and nervous, quickly moving about the room and tidying up. I had a good Idea what was going on, but I still had a problem to take care of that was growing more urgent by the minute. Waving to catch her attention I finally got her to look at me.

With a sigh I smiled before pointing to all the doors, shrugged, then made a motion of eating, before tracing my hand all the way down to my hips. She blinked for a moment, confused, so I repeated the motion, followed by a bit of a dance that hopefully translated over. Thankfully it did and she face hooves before mumbling to herself with a giggle before pointing up the stairs, then tapping her hoof three times then pointing to the left.

I smile and thank her as best I can before moving off. I reach the door without incident, and once I look inside, sure enough, it’s a bathroom. Thankfully the plumbing seems to be compatible, just a bit longer actually. No other problems arise, and I wash up once everything is taken care of before heading back downstairs.

I give Twilight a relieved smile and thank her again. I look around for Spike, only to hear a bit of a clamor in the kitchen area. A moment later Spike walks out carrying two bowls and a plate. On the plate is a sandwich, most likely for Twilight, considering the flowers on it, and in one bowl is some assorted gems, In the other though, is strawberries.

He sets down all three at a table before sitting down to munch at his breakfast. Twilight pats him on the head with a happy tone to her voice, then smiles at me, motioning to the strawberries. My stomach growls a bit and I chuckle before kneeling down by the table to eat.

Just like the apple the night before, the strawberries have a burst of flavor that makes me hum appreciatively and smile like a fool. It got a giggle out of Twilight and Spike just shakes his head, mumbling something that makes Twilight shoot him an annoyed glace. I raise an eyebrow at her and she waves a hoof with a nervous giggle. I shrug and she seems to relax.

After our little meal she heads towards the door before turning around and pointing at me and pointing at the ground. I chuckle and nod, having been given this command before. I sit down on the couch before smiling at her and making a shooing motion with my hands. She grins before heading out the door.

Once Spike finishes cleaning the dishes from breakfast he starts tidying up the place some more. I watch him for a moment before walking over and taking the stack of books from him. He looks up at me with a glare before I motion to myself and making a show of lifting the books up, then to him as I pantomime putting a book away. At that point he grins and nods.

For the next little while I helped spike put away the books, him finding the spots they belonged and me handing them over one at a time, but carrying the pile along for easy access. Most were sorted, so it went by pretty fast. We had just put the last of them away when the front door opened again and Twilight walked back in with the other five behind her.

I gave a friendly wave and Spike rushed up to Twilight and chattered away at her excitedly, pointing back to me. She listened intently to his story before looking up at me and smiling brightly. Guess I did something right. The others look impressed as well, looking around the room with big smiles. Once everyone got inside and calmed down a bit Twilight turned to the others and reread the scroll for them.

The others looked surprised, then smiled and nodded before Dash asked a question. Twilight blinked before looking at the scroll then at the clock on the wall just as there was a knock at the door. She quickly rushed to the door and opened it, revealing the tall white alicorn that was behind it, flanked by two guards.

I stood there in awe, I kind of guessed that something like this was going to happen, but seeing Celestia for myself was certainly something I was unprepared for. Her fur literally seemed to glow a bit and she exuded power, warmth and joy. It was awe inspiring, and without the slightest bit of mockery or humor, I gave her a deep bow.

After a moment I heard Twilight’s voice, followed by the others as they greeted her. I looked up to see her happily embracing Twilight, and it brought a smile to my face. Then I heard her voice, again, I couldn’t understand a single word, but the tones and flow were there. Calm, caring, motherly, but with that undertone of authority.

After her greetings were done she looked at me and I fidgeted nervously. Her eyes definitely showed her wisdom and power, they felt like they were not looking at me, but at my heart and soul. A bit unnerving truth be told, but she must have liked what she saw, for she smiled at me. I smiled back and gave another quick bow.

She giggled at that and gave a little bow of her own. With a Smile, Twilight looked up at Celestia and spoke with her. Celestia spoke back, then motioned to the others and me and then at a table. Twilight nodded and everyone moved to sit down around the table, three on each side and Myself and Celestia on the ends opposite one another.

I sat there nervously for a moment as we all sat in silence before I coughed lightly and motioned for a quill and paper again, adding a bit of a please at the end. “Paper, please.” Celestia’s ear twitched before she smiles at me. “Actually, I think talking will work just fine.” I sat there, staring at her for a minute with my mouth hanging open, and I wasn’t the only one, the other six ponies stared at her as well, completely confused. She smiles a bit wider at me. “Gotcha~”

Comments ( 3 )

An interesting story, and one like I would to see more of. While it does contain a great many details common to other HiE fanfics the protagonists' interactions with the ponies are not 'sueish', but rather flow from established characterization. The ponies are neither instantly friends or suspicious enemies to be won over, and that is a plus.
I very much like how there a language barrier between the two species, an issue that often gets overlooked but one that I feel has great story potential. The last line establishes something very important, that humans have made contact in Equestria before, and therefore it is entirely probable that there is a way back.

Awaiting more
BlackWinter

*incomprehensible cheering and ending with a vigorous 'WOOHOO!'*

...Let's put it this way: I was more than pleasantly surprised to see that this updated. :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

New chapter, awesome! :pinkiehappy::ajsmug::yay::twilightsheepish::eeyup::raritystarry:

Login or register to comment