• Published 18th Feb 2012
  • 1,917 Views, 15 Comments

Dimensional Shift - SilverFlame



Human in equestria. If it's not your thing, noone is forcing you to read.

  • ...
2
 15
 1,917

Chapter 3. Moonlight

Sorry about the long wait all. Writers block hit me like a ton of bricks, and I still have the bruises from it. But enough about that, lets continue on.


I awoke with a start, stars spinning around my head for a moment before I became aware of the pain that woke me up. Rubbing my sore nose and glaring at the hard wooden floor, I quietly grumbled before looking around and panicking slightly. This wasn’t my room. Quickly looking around the dark and quiet library for any signs of what happened I sat up and backed into the couch that I had been sleeping on.

Turning and seeing the pillow in the dim light my tired mind started piecing things together, the memories of the previous day flooding back to me. As quietly as I could, I got to my feet and got a better look around. The library was quiet, my sudden abrupt awakening not rousing any others as far as I could tell, and the soft moonlight was filtering in through the scattered windows and across the stacks of books in a calming way.

Fumbling in my pocket for a moment I retrieved my cell phone and started it up. Claspin my hands around it as tightly as I could to muffle the starting jingle I then squinted at the screen to check the time. 2 am. Not exactly the best of sleeps, but I had a feeling I wouldn’t be able to just drift back off, especially now that my mind was in full gear from the adrenaline rush of injury.

Quietly I shook my head and did a quick search of my bag before finding what I was looking for, my mp3 player. I didn’t have many spare batteries, only 2, but I needed some music to calm me down, and a walk. I tip toed my way to the door and as quietly as I could opened it and stepped outside, wincing at the creaky hinge that is always there when you don’t want it.

I left the door open just a tiny crack so I could get back inside, then placed in my ear buds and started up my mp3 player on random, not really caring what was playing right then, and started wandering randomly. I had a feeling none of the ponies would be awake to witness my presence at that time of night, so I just let my guard down and wandered.

After a few minutes I wound up in a small field, away from most of the houses, my feet quietly falling in rhythm with the latest song, Gravity, from the wolfs rain soundtrack. Without realizing it, I had actually started singing along, though I caught myself start to cry as a snippet of lyrics reminded me of my biggest question. “Am I going home?”

Would I ever see my family again? My parents, my brother and sister, my friends, all of them must be worried sick. The thoughts echoed in my head and kept twisting away whenever I tried to force them down. Finally, I couldn’t take it anymore and just fell to my hands and knees, letting out a long, pain filled mix of a scream and a sob.

It was then that I realized how unobservant I had really been as I felt a soft prod on my shoulder. I froze up at the touch, my eyes going wide before I slowly turned my head to see who, or what, had found me. I looked up into the caring, and slightly worried face of Fluttershy, her hoof still resting lightly on my shoulder.

I sat quietly for a moment, just staring at her before I gave a small, broken smile and relaxed. I let down all my guards and just let it all out, not as a loud sobbing mess, but silent, burning tears. I guess she sensed what I needed then, because she stayed by my side, gently patting my arm and speaking soothingly. I didn’t need to understand the words, I understood the meaning on a deeper level.

After a while, the tears finally stopped, and I carefully sat up onto my knees before giving her another smile, still small, but a lot less forced. She smiled back, and I finally took the chance to really get a look at her. This was no cartoon, and there were some differences, like having individual hairs, but she looked almost exactly the same as she did in the show. Somehow, that calmed me, that things could actually be the same. She spoke again, and tilted her head slightly, as if asking something, and I momentarily cursed the language barrier again in my head.

I tried to mime out that I didn’t understand her, and she nodded, before reaching out, and gently tapping my chest over my heart, then even more gently, wiped away a tear from my cheek. I was momentarily stunned at the touch, her hoof was a lot softer than I expected, then I tried to put two and two together. Heart tears? After a moment it came to me.

“Why am I crying?” I said it softly, and to myself, but it seemed she got the gist of it when I repeated the actions. She nodded quietly, shyly even. Racking my brain for a way to answer, I decided for the simple route. “I miss home.” I spoke quietly as I pointed to myself, then tapped my heart, then mimicking pinkie, I drew a house on the ground between us.

The look in her eyes as she finally puzzled it together was painful to look at, the sheer sorrow, not for herself, but for me, it was staggering. As I saw tears start to form I gently caught her attention and very softly poked her, then shook my head, then very cautiously wiped away the few tears that had spilled. I hoped the message was clear, “Don’t cry.” I think I would have died if she had burst out crying.

Though my heart stopped anyways when after I finished wiping away a tear she closed her eyes and nuzzled against my hand. Only two thoughts were going through my head at that point. One was “Soft…” The other was “Damn that’s cute.” After a bit to recover from sudden onset diabetes I looked around, how did she find me anyways? It turns out I had wandered into her back yard, her home blending in almost perfectly, especially under the glow of the moon. I must have woken her up then.

Having no other brilliant ideas, I quietly laid down on my back to look up at the stars. It was a nice warm night anyways. After a moment she actually settled down next to me on her back as well, and began silently tracing out the stars with a hoof. I quietly followed along, learning new constellations, if not the names, then at least the shapes and locations. I don’t know how long we were there, she didn’t seem to be in a rush to leave, and neither was I, but after a while I realized I should probably get back to the library before Twilight has a fit.

Gently tapping her shoulder to catch her attention I motioned to the library, barely visible in the distance, then at myself. She looked a little sad, but after a second nodded. I didn’t want her to be upset at me going, or thinking I hadn’t enjoyed myself, plus, I was feeling kind of sappy, so when we both got to our feet, I very gently took hold of one of her front hooves. She watched me, curious, but oddly she didn’t seem afraid, though she did turn an adorable shade of red when I gently kissed the top of her hoof, basically her wrist if I had to compare. Smiling softly I gave her a deep bow in thanks before I started on my way back into town.

I looked back as I heard her quietly giggling and gave her another smile and a wave, which she returned before returning to her house with a little bounce in her step. I smiled, happy I made her day, and continued on. The streets were just as quiet as the way out, though this time my music was turned off so I could enjoy it.

I made it back to the library without any problems, and quietly made it back inside, the door being mercifully not squeaky this time. Dropping my mp3 player back in my bag I curled up on the little sofa again, trying to get comfortable as my mind blissfully went blank and allowed me to drift off almost immediately, it’s last spurt of distraction being Fluttershy’s face, blushing and lit by moonlight. I fell asleep with a smile on my face.